Mailing List Archive

New install setup - recording problem
Hi all,

I'm working on a new install of mythbuntu 16.04.I have my previous install
of 12.04 on another drive.Both systems use the same 1TB storage.I restored
the db backup from 12.04 onto 16.04 and everything looks correct,I
carefully confirmed this against the 12.04 settings.On 16.04 I can watch
recordings and videos.I can also do channel scans with no apparent errors.

If I try live tv I get a message saying all tuners are busy.If I try to
record a program in the guide I get a "recorder off_line" message.In the
Information menu section all tuners show "error".

The tuners are a Haupauge 2200 and a HDHR and using HDHR config GUI and
Me-TV I have confirm the tuners are working.

Mythbackend.log has a lot of these errors:

Jul 29 11:58:03 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2547]: E ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:4718 (HandleRemoteEncoder) MainServer:
HandleRemoteEncoder(cmd GET_STATE) Unknown encoder: 46

Also,this may be totally unrelated, the directories and files on the
storage drive (/var/lib/mythtv) all had the owner and group listed as ntp.
I changed this to owner: mythtv ;group:mythtv in accordance with what the
12.04 install has. I was getting "unable to create file
"var/lib/mythtv/recordings/.test" directory is not writable" messages on
startup.Changing the owner to mythtv eliminated these.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

-Paul

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 13:53:05 +1200, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm working on a new install of mythbuntu 16.04.I have my previous install
>of 12.04 on another drive.Both systems use the same 1TB storage.I restored
>the db backup from 12.04 onto 16.04 and everything looks correct,I
>carefully confirmed this against the 12.04 settings.On 16.04 I can watch
>recordings and videos.I can also do channel scans with no apparent errors.
>
>If I try live tv I get a message saying all tuners are busy.If I try to
>record a program in the guide I get a "recorder off_line" message.In the
>Information menu section all tuners show "error".
>
>The tuners are a Haupauge 2200 and a HDHR and using HDHR config GUI and
>Me-TV I have confirm the tuners are working.
>
>Mythbackend.log has a lot of these errors:
>
>Jul 29 11:58:03 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2547]: E ProcessRequest
>mainserver.cpp:4718 (HandleRemoteEncoder) MainServer:
>HandleRemoteEncoder(cmd GET_STATE) Unknown encoder: 46
>
>Also,this may be totally unrelated, the directories and files on the
>storage drive (/var/lib/mythtv) all had the owner and group listed as ntp.
>I changed this to owner: mythtv ;group:mythtv in accordance with what the
>12.04 install has. I was getting "unable to create file
>"var/lib/mythtv/recordings/.test" directory is not writable" messages on
>startup.Changing the owner to mythtv eliminated these.
>
>Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
>
>-Paul

When you install a Linux system, the group ids and user ids are
assigned to the various groups and users. But they can vary from one
Linux install to another, even if you use the same version of Linux.
So if you move a drive from one system to another, you often find that
the ids do not match and you get the wrong group or user. So you may
need to chown all the directories and files to what they should be.
The chown command has a -R option to recurse directories, which helps.

As for your tuners, did you just restore the database without checking
the order the tuners are in? Tuners can move in order between boots,
and they certainly move when installed in different slots or USB
ports, let alone when moved to a different motherboard. So you need
to see which tuner should be on which /dev/dvb address and make sure
they are on the same ones that your old system had them. This command
will show you what the database says the tuner addresses are:

select
cardid,parentid,videodevice,cardtype,defaultinput,tunechan,startchan,displayname,channel_timeout
from capturecard order by videodevice;

The videodevice field gives the address of the tuner. So then you
need to use the adapter_nr option in your tuner driver setup to assign
the tuners to the correct address. Not all tuners have the adapter_nr
option, and if any of yours do not, you will need to use udev rules to
assign them to the correct address. But check first for adapter_nr as
that is much easier to use.

The modinfo command followed by the device driver name gives the
options for drivers. Here is what my DVB-T drivers say:

root@mypvr:/etc/modprobe.d# modinfo dvb_usb_dib0700 | grep parm
parm: force_lna_activation:force the activation of
Low-Noise-Amplifyer(s) (LNA), if applicable for the device (default:
0=automatic/off). (int)
parm: debug:set debugging level (1=info,2=fw,4=fwdata,8=data
(or-able)). (int)
parm: nb_packet_buffer_size:Set the dib0700 driver data
buffer size. This parameter corresponds to the number of TS packets.
The actual size of the data buffer corresponds to this parameter
multiplied by 188 (default: 21) (int)
parm: adapter_nr:DVB adapter numbers (array of short)

To use the adapter_nr option, you need to create a .conf file in
/etc/modprobe.d. I have mine in options-dvb.conf. This is what I
have for my tuners:

#Set adapter numbers for Nova-TD 500 DVB-T card (dual tuners), and
AverMedia AverTV DVB-T Volar USB tuner (they use the same driver).
options dvb_usb_dib0700 adapter_nr=0,1,2

#Set adapter number for TurboSight TBS5922 QBOX S2 DVB-S2 USB tuner.
options dvb-usb-tbsqbox22 adapter_nr=3

#Set adapter number for TeVii S470 DVB-S2 PCIe x1 card.
options cx23885 adapter_nr=4

Finding the name of your tuner driver can be a bit difficult. If you
do not know what it is, looking through the kern.log file for what
happens at boot time will normally tell you, but there are some
(fortunately rare) drivers that do not actually post any messages that
have the driver name in them.

If you can not use adapter_nr, let us know and we can try to help with
udev rules.

It is also possible that your tuner order is stable with each boot, in
which case you could just delete all your tuners in mythtv-setup and
re-create them.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 16:15:34 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 13:53:05 +1200, you wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm working on a new install of mythbuntu 16.04.I have my previous
>> install
>> of 12.04 on another drive.Both systems use the same 1TB storage.I
>> restored
>> the db backup from 12.04 onto 16.04 and everything looks correct,I
>> carefully confirmed this against the 12.04 settings.On 16.04 I can watch
>> recordings and videos.I can also do channel scans with no apparent
>> errors.
>>
>> If I try live tv I get a message saying all tuners are busy.If I try to
>> record a program in the guide I get a "recorder off_line" message.In the
>> Information menu section all tuners show "error".
>>
>> The tuners are a Haupauge 2200 and a HDHR and using HDHR config GUI and
>> Me-TV I have confirm the tuners are working.
>>
>> Mythbackend.log has a lot of these errors:
>>
>> Jul 29 11:58:03 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2547]: E ProcessRequest
>> mainserver.cpp:4718 (HandleRemoteEncoder) MainServer:
>> HandleRemoteEncoder(cmd GET_STATE) Unknown encoder: 46
>>
>> Also,this may be totally unrelated, the directories and files on the
>> storage drive (/var/lib/mythtv) all had the owner and group listed as
>> ntp.
>> I changed this to owner: mythtv ;group:mythtv in accordance with whatthe
>> 12.04 install has. I was getting "unable to create file
>> "var/lib/mythtv/recordings/.test" directory is not writable" messages on
>> startup.Changing the owner to mythtv eliminated these.
>>
>> Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
>>
>> -Paul
>
> When you install a Linux system, the group ids and user ids are
> assigned to the various groups and users. But they can vary from one
> Linux install to another, even if you use the same version of Linux.
> So if you move a drive from one system to another, you often find that
> the ids do not match and you get the wrong group or user. So you may
> need to chown all the directories and files to what they should be.
> The chown command has a -R option to recurse directories, which helps.

The only changes in the hardware are the two system drives: an old HDD
with 12.04 and a new SSD for 16.04 It isn't a duel boot I am swapping the
sata cable while I'm getting 16.04 sorted.Once that is done I'll delete
12.04 off the old drive.
/var/lib/mythtv is on the 3rd drive and after changing the owner (chown
-R) for 16.04 I have just found I need to change it back when I booted
12.04.It works - no problem.

> As for your tuners, did you just restore the database without checking
> the order the tuners are in? Tuners can move in order between boots,
> and they certainly move when installed in different slots or USB
> ports, let alone when moved to a different motherboard. So you need
> to see which tuner should be on which /dev/dvb address and make sure
> they are on the same ones that your old system had them. This command
> will show you what the database says the tuner addresses are:

I'll have to check this.As I stated above cards and mobo have not changed.

> select
> cardid,parentid,videodevice,cardtype,defaultinput,tunechan,startchan,displayname,channel_timeout
> from capturecard order by videodevice;

Are these mysql commands?

> The videodevice field gives the address of the tuner. So then you
> need to use the adapter_nr option in your tuner driver setup to assign
> the tuners to the correct address. Not all tuners have the adapter_nr
> option, and if any of yours do not, you will need to use udev rules to
> assign them to the correct address. But check first for adapter_nr as
> that is much easier to use.
>
> The modinfo command followed by the device driver name gives the
> options for drivers. Here is what my DVB-T drivers say:
>
> root@mypvr:/etc/modprobe.d# modinfo dvb_usb_dib0700 | grep parm
> parm: force_lna_activation:force the activation of
> Low-Noise-Amplifyer(s) (LNA), if applicable for the device (default:
> 0=automatic/off). (int)
> parm: debug:set debugging level (1=info,2=fw,4=fwdata,8=data
> (or-able)). (int)
> parm: nb_packet_buffer_size:Set the dib0700 driver data
> buffer size. This parameter corresponds to the number of TS packets.
> The actual size of the data buffer corresponds to this parameter
> multiplied by 188 (default: 21) (int)
> parm: adapter_nr:DVB adapter numbers (array of short)
>
> To use the adapter_nr option, you need to create a .conf file in
> /etc/modprobe.d. I have mine in options-dvb.conf. This is what I
> have for my tuners:
>
> #Set adapter numbers for Nova-TD 500 DVB-T card (dual tuners), and
> AverMedia AverTV DVB-T Volar USB tuner (they use the same driver).
> options dvb_usb_dib0700 adapter_nr=0,1,2
>
> #Set adapter number for TurboSight TBS5922 QBOX S2 DVB-S2 USB tuner.
> options dvb-usb-tbsqbox22 adapter_nr=3
>
> #Set adapter number for TeVii S470 DVB-S2 PCIe x1 card.
> options cx23885 adapter_nr=4
>
> Finding the name of your tuner driver can be a bit difficult. If you
> do not know what it is, looking through the kern.log file for what
> happens at boot time will normally tell you, but there are some
> (fortunately rare) drivers that do not actually post any messages that
> have the driver name in them.
>
> If you can not use adapter_nr, let us know and we can try to help with
> udev rules.
>
> It is also possible that your tuner order is stable with each boot, in
> which case you could just delete all your tuners in mythtv-setup and
> re-create them.
I did this - it did not change the problem

Does this apply to the HDHR as well?
Thanks for the help.I've set it back to 12.04 for the evening and will
look at it again tomorrow.
I also ran into this
bug:https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mythbuntu-common/+bug/1576767
after changing a database setting in mythbuntu control center.It looks
like that is sorted,though.
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
> [...]
> AverMedia AverTV DVB-T Volar USB tuner (they use the same driver).
> options dvb_usb_dib0700 adapter_nr=0,1,2
>
> #Set adapter number for TurboSight TBS5922 QBOX S2 DVB-S2 USB tuner.
> options dvb-usb-tbsqbox22 adapter_nr=3
>
> #Set adapter number for TeVii S470 DVB-S2 PCIe x1 card.
> options cx23885 adapter_nr=4
>
> Finding the name of your tuner driver can be a bit difficult. If you
> do not know what it is, looking through the kern.log file for what
> happens at boot time will normally tell you, but there are some
> (fortunately rare) drivers that do not actually post any messages that
> have the driver name in them.
>
> If you can not use adapter_nr, let us know and we can try to help with
> udev rules.
>
> It is also possible that your tuner order is stable with each boot, in
> which case you could just delete all your tuners in mythtv-setup and

I'm not sure I have the info you're asking for but here goes:

+--------+----------+-----------------------------+-----------+--------------+----------+-----------+-------------+-----------------+
| cardid | parentid | videodevice | cardtype |
defaultinput | tunechan | startchan | displayname | channel_timeout |
+--------+----------+-----------------------------+-----------+--------------+----------+-----------+-------------+-----------------+
| 37 | 27 | /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 | DVB |
Television | NULL | 1 | card-0 | 3000 |
| 35 | 27 | /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 | DVB |
Television | NULL | 1 | card-0 | 3000 |
| 36 | 27 | /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 | DVB |
Television | NULL | 1 | card-0 | 3000 |
| 27 | 0 | /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 | DVB |
Television | NULL | 1 | card-0 | 3000 |
| 28 | 27 | /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 | DVB |
Television | NULL | 1 | card-0 | 3000 |
| 40 | 29 | /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 | DVB |
Television | NULL | 1 | card-1 | 3000 |
| 38 | 29 | /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 | DVB |
Television | NULL | 1 | card-1 | 3000 |
| 39 | 29 | /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 | DVB |
Television | NULL | 1 | card-1 | 3000 |
| 29 | 0 | /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 | DVB |
Television | NULL | 1 | card-1 | 3000 |
| 30 | 29 | /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 | DVB |
Television | NULL | 1 | card-1 | 3000 |
| 41 | 31 | 11111EB6-0 | HDHOMERUN |
Television | NULL | 1 | HDHR-0 | 3000 |
| 31 | 0 | 11111EB6-0 | HDHOMERUN |
Television | NULL | 1 | HDHR-0 | 3000 |
| 32 | 31 | 11111EB6-0 | HDHOMERUN |
Television | NULL | 1 | HDHR-0 | 3000 |
| 42 | 31 | 11111EB6-0 | HDHOMERUN |
Television | NULL | 1 | HDHR-0 | 3000 |
| 43 | 31 | 11111EB6-0 | HDHOMERUN |
Television | NULL | 1 | HDHR-0 | 3000 |
| 33 | 0 | 11111EB6-1 | HDHOMERUN |
Television | NULL | 1 | HDHR-1 | 3000 |
| 34 | 33 | 11111EB6-1 | HDHOMERUN |
Television | NULL | 1 | HDHR-1 | 3000 |
| 44 | 33 | 11111EB6-1 | HDHOMERUN |
Television | NULL | 1 | HDHR-1 | 3000 |
| 45 | 33 | 11111EB6-1 | HDHOMERUN |
Television | NULL | 1 | HDHR-1 | 3000 |
| 46 | 33 | 11111EB6-1 | HDHOMERUN |
Television | NULL | 1 | HDHR-1 | 3000 |
+--------+----------+-----------------------------+-----------+--------------+----------+-----------+-------------+-----------------+

Kern.log:
frontend 0 (NXP TDA10048HN DVB-T)...
Jul 30 10:19:49 myth kernel: [ 15.169822] tda18271 5-0060: creating new
instance
Jul 30 10:19:49 myth kernel: [ 15.174271] TDA18271HD/C2 detected @ 5-0060
Jul 30 10:19:50 myth kernel: [ 15.423597] tda18271: performing RF
tracking filter calibration
Jul 30 10:19:52 myth kernel: [ 17.776718] tda18271: RF tracking filter
calibration complete
Jul 30 10:19:52 myth kernel: [ 17.779906] DVB: registering new adapter
(saa7164)
Jul 30 10:19:52 myth kernel: [ 17.779912] saa7164 0000:03:00.0: DVB:
registering adapter 1

I'm not sure this is the command you want:

~$ modinfo saa7164 | grep parm
parm: adapter_nr:DVB adapter numbers (array of short)
parm: debug:enable debug messages (int)
parm: fw_debug:Firmware debug level def:2 (int)
parm: encoder_buffers:Total buffers in read queue 16-512 def:64
(int)
parm: vbi_buffers:Total buffers in read queue 16-512 def:64 (int)
parm: waitsecs:timeout on firmware messages (int)
parm: card:card type (array of int)
parm: print_histogram:print histogram values once (int)
parm: crc_checking:enable crc sanity checking on buffers (int)
parm: guard_checking:enable dma sanity checking for buffer
overruns (int)
parm: enable_msi:enable the use of an msi interrupt if available
(bool)

I get:
:~# /etc/modprobe.d# modinfo saa7164|grep parm
bash: /etc/modprobe.d#: No such file or directory

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 11:02:35 +1200, you wrote:

> [...]
>parm: adapter_nr:DVB adapter numbers (array of short)
>parm: debug:enable debug messages (int)
>parm: fw_debug:Firmware debug level def:2 (int)
>parm: encoder_buffers:Total buffers in read queue 16-512 def:64
>(int)
>parm: vbi_buffers:Total buffers in read queue 16-512 def:64 (int)
>parm: waitsecs:timeout on firmware messages (int)
>parm: card:card type (array of int)
>parm: print_histogram:print histogram values once (int)
>parm: crc_checking:enable crc sanity checking on buffers (int)
>parm: guard_checking:enable dma sanity checking for buffer
>overruns (int)
>parm: enable_msi:enable the use of an msi interrupt if available
>(bool)
>

>I get:
>:~# /etc/modprobe.d# modinfo saa7164|grep parm
>bash: /etc/modprobe.d#: No such file or directory

It looks like I was wrong about where the problem lies. Since you
have only one real tuner card, even though it has dual tuners, it will
never move its address around. The HDHR tuners are Ethernet, so they
do not show up as hardware devices in /dev/dvb. So there is no need
for adapter_nr settings unless you ever add another standard tuner.

The settings from the capturecard table look fine except for the
channel_timeout value (3000), which is way too small for DVB-T here in
New Zealand. In versions before 0.28, mythbackend recovered from that
and managed to tune channels anyway, but took longer than necessary as
it could retry several times. In 0.28, it can fail to ever tune
properly, so those settings need to all be increased. I am using
10000 ms, and that seems to work well. TV3 can take between 7 and 8
seconds to tune. However, that is unlikely to explain your symptoms,
it is just another problem you would have had later in getting 16.04
working properly. You change those values in mythtv-setup => Capture
Cards. On each tuner there, on the first page of its settings, change
the "Tuning timeout" from 3000 to 10000. That same change should also
be done for your old 12.04 setup - it should make tuning work faster
there too.

It looks like we need to see full logs of what is going on. So you
will probably need to set the "-v record" log option on mythbackend.
In 16.04, to work with systemd, that is done in a different way from
previously. In the /etc/mythtv directory, create a file
"additional.args" if it does not exist. Give it mythtv group and user
(chown mythtv:mythtv additional.args). Change its permissions to make
it only writeable by its user (chmod a=r,u=rw additional.args). In
that file, you put one line with additional arguments that get added
on to the end of the mythbackend command line, so put the -v record
there.

Then restart mythbackend (systemctl restart mythtv-backend) and try
tuning a channel - one of the SD ones as they tune more easily, so
Prime or ChoiceTV are good ones to try. Then stop mythbackend
(systemctl stop mythtv-backend) and post a copy of the section of
/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log that contains all the output from just
that run of mythbackend. To find where a run of mythbackend starts in
the log, search for the text "mythbackend version:" which is on the
first line mythbackend logs when it starts. The last thing that
mythbackend logs when it shuts down is normally a line saying "Waiting
for threads to exit.". The log will likely be way too big to post in
an email, so putting it somewhere like pastebin.com is the way to go,
unless you have a web server of your own you can put it on.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 15:46:45 +1200, you wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 11:02:35 +1200, you wrote:
>

>Then restart mythbackend (systemctl restart mythtv-backend) and try
>tuning a channel - one of the SD ones as they tune more easily, so
>Prime or ChoiceTV are good ones to try. Then stop mythbackend
>(systemctl stop mythtv-backend) and post a copy of the section of
>/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log that contains all the output from just
>that run of mythbackend. To find where a run of mythbackend starts in
>the log, search for the text "mythbackend version:" which is on the
>first line mythbackend logs when it starts. The last thing that
>mythbackend logs when it shuts down is normally a line saying "Waiting
>for threads to exit.". The log will likely be way too big to post in
>an email, so putting it somewhere like pastebin.com is the way to go,
>unless you have a web server of your own you can put it on.

I should have said how to tune a specific channel in LiveTV - go to
the Guide, select the channel you want, then M (Menu) => Watch This
Channel.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]

> It looks like I was wrong about where the problem lies. Since you
> have only one real tuner card, even though it has dual tuners, it will
> never move its address around. The HDHR tuners are Ethernet, so they
> do not show up as hardware devices in /dev/dvb. So there is no need
> for adapter_nr settings unless you ever add another standard tuner.
>
> The settings from the capturecard table look fine except for the
> channel_timeout value (3000), which is way too small for DVB-T here in
> New Zealand. In versions before 0.28, mythbackend recovered from that
> and managed to tune channels anyway, but took longer than necessary as
> it could retry several times. In 0.28, it can fail to ever tune
> properly, so those settings need to all be increased. I am using
> 10000 ms, and that seems to work well. TV3 can take between 7 and 8
> seconds to tune. However, that is unlikely to explain your symptoms,
> it is just another problem you would have had later in getting 16.04
> working properly. You change those values in mythtv-setup => Capture
> Cards. On each tuner there, on the first page of its settings, change
> the "Tuning timeout" from 3000 to 10000. That same change should also
> be done for your old 12.04 setup - it should make tuning work faster
> there too.
>
> It looks like we need to see full logs of what is going on. So you
> will probably need to set the "-v record" log option on mythbackend.
> In 16.04, to work with systemd, that is done in a different way from
> previously. In the /etc/mythtv directory, create a file
> "additional.args" if it does not exist. Give it mythtv group and user
> (chown mythtv:mythtv additional.args). Change its permissions to make
> it only writeable by its user (chmod a=r,u=rw additional.args). In
> that file, you put one line with additional arguments that get added
> on to the end of the mythbackend command line, so put the -v record
> there.
>
> Then restart mythbackend (systemctl restart mythtv-backend) and try
> tuning a channel - one of the SD ones as they tune more easily, so
> Prime or ChoiceTV are good ones to try. Then stop mythbackend
> (systemctl stop mythtv-backend) and post a copy of the section of
> /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log that contains all the output from just
> that run of mythbackend. To find where a run of mythbackend starts in
> the log, search for the text "mythbackend version:" which is on the
> first line mythbackend logs when it starts. The last thing that
> mythbackend logs when it shuts down is normally a line saying "Waiting
> for threads to exit.". The log will likely be way too big to post in
> an email, so putting it somewhere like pastebin.com is the way to go,
> unless you have a web server of your own you can put it on.

I started on this again this morning but was interrupted by a 5 hour
powercut.
First I changed tuning timeout from 3000 to 10000 as suggested and then
created the additional.args file.
I selected a program in the guide and chose the "watch" option and the
tuner worked perfectly.
Then I selected "record" and that works too.I did this several times and
it seems ok now.It was using the tuner card not the HDHR.
I wonder if the tuning timeout was responsible for this.
I will do some more testing over the next few days.I have a copy of
mythbackend.log on google drive,the link below should allow you to access
it.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5RRWPLTmilhVHdKN29obmpBWUU

There may be messages relating to the recordings database due to switching
the drive between the 2 OS versions.

One more question you may be able to answer: When I boot the system I get
mythbackend settings utility starting (every time) what do I do to stop
this?

I got more familiar with navigating mysql too :)

Thanks for the help.
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 15:59:15 +1200, you wrote:

>I started on this again this morning but was interrupted by a 5 hour
>powercut.
>First I changed tuning timeout from 3000 to 10000 as suggested and then
>created the additional.args file.
>I selected a program in the guide and chose the "watch" option and the
>tuner worked perfectly.
>Then I selected "record" and that works too.I did this several times and
>it seems ok now.It was using the tuner card not the HDHR.
>I wonder if the tuning timeout was responsible for this.
>I will do some more testing over the next few days.I have a copy of
>mythbackend.log on google drive,the link below should allow you to access
>it.
>https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5RRWPLTmilhVHdKN29obmpBWUU
>
>There may be messages relating to the recordings database due to switching
>the drive between the 2 OS versions.

That all seems fine - a normal LiveTV session. So I am wondering if
your original problem may have been caused by a bad chanid as the
DefaultChanid setting. That is the channel that is tuned when you go
to Watch TV from the main menu. If you do not use Live TV much, you
can have a problem where the channel that was last watched has
disappeared from the database since then, due to the usual churn of
channels. MythTV does not check for that and just tries to tune
whatever channel is in the DefaultChanid setting. And on deleting a
channel, it does not check DefaultChanid to see if it is set to the
deleted channel. Going to Live TV by selecting a channel from the
Guide gets around the bad DefaultChanid problem, if it exists.

>One more question you may be able to answer: When I boot the system I get
>mythbackend settings utility starting (every time) what do I do to stop
>this?

This is likely the fix:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2329744

But there may be an underlying problem as I thought that Mythbuntu was
supposed to remove that autostart entry automatically when the
configuration was updated and mythbackend was able to be started. I
have never found any script that would do that though.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 21:02:01 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 15:59:15 +1200, you wrote:
>

>> I started on this again this morning but was interrupted by a 5 hour
>> powercut.
>> First I changed tuning timeout from 3000 to 10000 as suggested and then
>> created the additional.args file.
>> I selected a program in the guide and chose the "watch" option and the
>> tuner worked perfectly.
>> Then I selected "record" and that works too.I did this several times and
>> it seems ok now.It was using the tuner card not the HDHR.
>> I wonder if the tuning timeout was responsible for this.
>> I will do some more testing over the next few days.I have a copy of
>> mythbackend.log on google drive,the link below should allow you toaccess
>> it.
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5RRWPLTmilhVHdKN29obmpBWUU
>>
>> There may be messages relating to the recordings database due to
>> switching
>> the drive between the 2 OS versions.
>
> That all seems fine - a normal LiveTV session. So I am wondering if
> your original problem may have been caused by a bad chanid as the
> DefaultChanid setting. That is the channel that is tuned when you go
> to Watch TV from the main menu. If you do not use Live TV much, you
> can have a problem where the channel that was last watched has
> disappeared from the database since then, due to the usual churn of
> channels. MythTV does not check for that and just tries to tune
> whatever channel is in the DefaultChanid setting. And on deleting a
> channel, it does not check DefaultChanid to see if it is set to the
> deleted channel. Going to Live TV by selecting a channel from the
> Guide gets around the bad DefaultChanid problem, if it exists.
>
>> One more question you may be able to answer: When I boot the system Iget
>> mythbackend settings utility starting (every time) what do I do to stop
>> this?
>
> This is likely the fix:
>
> https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2329744
>
> But there may be an underlying problem as I thought that Mythbuntu was
> supposed to remove that autostart entry automatically when the
> configuration was updated and mythbackend was able to be started. I
> have never found any script that would do that though.
>
>> I got more familiar with navigating mysql too :)
>>
>> Thanks for the help.

The tuner problem is intermittent.Today it's back.I can't see the cause in
the logs.
Here's a link to a new mythbackend log
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5RRWPLTmilhZ2lzSHFUZjdsSUk
At 10:33 I selected a channel to watch live from the guide.
At 10:34 I selected to record that channel
PS The tip from the forum thread corrected the settings utility start
issue.
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 12:24:30 +1200, you wrote:

>The tuner problem is intermittent.Today it's back.I can't see the cause in
>the logs.
>Here's a link to a new mythbackend log
>https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5RRWPLTmilhZ2lzSHFUZjdsSUk
>At 10:33 I selected a channel to watch live from the guide.
>At 10:34 I selected to record that channel
>PS The tip from the forum thread corrected the settings utility start
>issue.

Tuner [31] is one of the HDHR tuners. The one that was working in the
last log you posted was [17], one of the internal tuners.

This seems to be the relevant log message - there is one for each time
a tuner failure occurs:

Aug 1 10:33:11 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2589]: E TVRecEvent
dtvmultiplex.cpp:379 (ParseTuningParams) DTVMux: ParseTuningParams --
Unknown tuner type = 0xffffffff80000000

"Unknown tuner type" seems to be the heart of the problem. It looks
like you need to set up something more to get the HDHR tuners working.
Do they work using their setup program? Is your networking setup
different on 16.04 from what it was on 12.04?

You may need to delete the HDHR tuners and re-create them.

You also need to test each tuner individually. The way to do that is
to use Watch TV, and once you have a channel playing, you can swap to
another tuner using M (menu) => Source => Switch Input and then select
the multi-rec tuner you want to watch. LiveTV will switch to the
specified tuner and tune it to the channel it was last on, which is
stored in the cardinput.startchan field. If you then type another
channel number, the current tuner will switch to that channel, but
only if it is capable of tuning to that channel. So if you have both
DVB-T and DVB-S tuners, if you try to tell a DVB-T tuner to tune to a
DVB-S channel, LiveTV knows that and will automatically switch to the
first available DVB-S tuner and tune that to the DVB-S channel. As
long as you keep changing to channels the tuner is capable of tuning,
a LiveTV session will keep using the same tuner, which is good for
what we want to do, testing each tuner.

So to fully test all your tuners, you need to use the Switch Input
option to change to one multi-rec tuner on each of your physical
tuners, then select a channel from each of the muxes so it will try
tuning each mux frequency. I normally use TV One (1), TV3 (3), Prime
(10) and HGTV (17) to test each mux here on Wharite, but on some
different transmitter sites, it may be that the arrangement of
channels on each mux means you need to chose different channels. It
pays to test with the highest bit rate channel on each mux, if there
is one, as that is the hardest one to tune to. Test each physical
tuner on all four muxes in turn and see if they all work, or what does
not work.

But also, in the log you posted, why was mythbackend trying to tune on
[31] when [17] presumably was not busy? What order have you got set
for your tuners? Use this query:

select
cardid,parentid,videodevice,cardtype,startchan,displayname,schedorder,livetvorder
from capturecard order by videodevice;

to see what the schedorder and livetvorder are set to. The schedorder
determines which tuners are used first for scheduled recordings, and
the livetvorder determines which are used first for LiveTV.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
> Tuner [31] is one of the HDHR tuners. The one that was working in the
> last log you posted was [17], one of the internal tuners.
>
> This seems to be the relevant log message - there is one for each time
> a tuner failure occurs:
>
> Aug 1 10:33:11 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2589]: E TVRecEvent
> dtvmultiplex.cpp:379 (ParseTuningParams) DTVMux: ParseTuningParams --
> Unknown tuner type = 0xffffffff80000000
>
> "Unknown tuner type" seems to be the heart of the problem. It looks
> like you need to set up something more to get the HDHR tuners working.
> Do they work using their setup program? Is your networking setup
> different on 16.04 from what it was on 12.04?
>
> You may need to delete the HDHR tuners and re-create them.
>
> You also need to test each tuner individually. The way to do that is
> to use Watch TV, and once you have a channel playing, you can swap to
> another tuner using M (menu) => Source => Switch Input and then select
> the multi-rec tuner you want to watch. LiveTV will switch to the
> specified tuner and tune it to the channel it was last on, which is
> stored in the cardinput.startchan field. If you then type another
> channel number, the current tuner will switch to that channel, but
> only if it is capable of tuning to that channel. So if you have both
> DVB-T and DVB-S tuners, if you try to tell a DVB-T tuner to tune to a
> DVB-S channel, LiveTV knows that and will automatically switch to the
> first available DVB-S tuner and tune that to the DVB-S channel. As
> long as you keep changing to channels the tuner is capable of tuning,
> a LiveTV session will keep using the same tuner, which is good for
> what we want to do, testing each tuner.
>
> So to fully test all your tuners, you need to use the Switch Input
> option to change to one multi-rec tuner on each of your physical
> tuners, then select a channel from each of the muxes so it will try
> tuning each mux frequency. I normally use TV One (1), TV3 (3), Prime
> (10) and HGTV (17) to test each mux here on Wharite, but on some
> different transmitter sites, it may be that the arrangement of
> channels on each mux means you need to chose different channels. It
> pays to test with the highest bit rate channel on each mux, if there
> is one, as that is the hardest one to tune to. Test each physical
> tuner on all four muxes in turn and see if they all work, or what does
> not work.
>
> But also, in the log you posted, why was mythbackend trying to tune on
> [31] when [17] presumably was not busy? What order have you got set
> for your tuners? Use this query:
>
> select
> cardid,parentid,videodevice,cardtype,startchan,displayname,schedorder,livetvorder
> from capturecard order by videodevice;
>
> to see what the schedorder and livetvorder are set to. The schedorder
> determines which tuners are used first for scheduled recordings, and
> the livetvorder determines which are used first for LiveTV.

I have left the tuner order as it was in 12.04,all at 1 as it was working
ok.This may be the problem.
No hardware changes were made to the network or connections.

Here is the Mysql_information

I am unable to use Live TV to view and select tuners because it
immediately aborts.However I have confirmed a card tuner works with MeTV
software I have installed (MeTV doesn't appear to allow tuners to be
selected)and HDHR tuners work with the HDHR configure GUI( I have switched
HDHR Tuners).All MUXes work ok on both sets of tuners.
In FE Information Center > System Status > Tuner Status the HDHR tuners
are marked "Not Recording" and the card tuners are marked "Has an error"

I also have another problem you may like to comment on: I have enabled
Myth Welcome and I am fair sure it worked normally to start with.At the
moment,when the system boots it boots into the XFCE desktop not the
Welcome screen.Myth Welcome seems to be running because after the 5 minute
time out the system shutsdown.If I start Myth FE from the desktop it goes
to the Myth Welcome screen and I can start the FE from there.

Cheers

-Paul
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 10:37:42 +1200
Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am unable to use Live TV to view and select tuners because it
> immediately aborts.However I have confirmed a card tuner works with MeTV
> software I have installed (MeTV doesn't appear to allow tuners to be
> selected)

Run me-tv with the --devices option to specify which card to use.
Try me-tv --help to see the format.

Austin.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 11:01:05 +1200, Austin Green
<austin.green@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 10:37:42 +1200
> Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I am unable to use Live TV to view and select tuners because it
>> immediately aborts.However I have confirmed a card tuner works with MeTV
>> software I have installed (MeTV doesn't appear to allow tuners to be
>> selected)
>
> Run me-tv with the --devices option to specify which card to use.
> Try me-tv --help to see the format.
>
> Austin.

Thanks,I will do that

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 10:37:42 +1200, you wrote:

>I have left the tuner order as it was in 12.04,all at 1 as it was working
>ok.This may be the problem.
>No hardware changes were made to the network or connections.
>
>Here is the Mysql_information
>
>I am unable to use Live TV to view and select tuners because it
>immediately aborts.However I have confirmed a card tuner works with MeTV
>software I have installed (MeTV doesn't appear to allow tuners to be
>selected)and HDHR tuners work with the HDHR configure GUI( I have switched
>HDHR Tuners).All MUXes work ok on both sets of tuners.
>In FE Information Center > System Status > Tuner Status the HDHR tuners
>are marked "Not Recording" and the card tuners are marked "Has an error"
>
>I also have another problem you may like to comment on: I have enabled
>Myth Welcome and I am fair sure it worked normally to start with.At the
>moment,when the system boots it boots into the XFCE desktop not the
>Welcome screen.Myth Welcome seems to be running because after the 5 minute
>time out the system shutsdown.If I start Myth FE from the desktop it goes
>to the Myth Welcome screen and I can start the FE from there.
>
>Cheers
>
>-Paul

Since the HDHR tuners are not working, with all the order settings at
1 MythTV is likely choosing to use a non-working HDHR tuner at least
50% of the time for LiveTV, and possibly all the time as it may be
choosing by lowest cardid number, which seems to be an HDHR. So to
get the two internal tuners working, I would recommend setting them as
1 and 2 in both schedorder and livetvorder, with the HDHRs set as 3
and 4. Once they are all working, you can consider how you really
want to order them. Some people prefer to have the livetvorder order
the opposite of the schedorder. I have them set up the same. They
are set up in mythtv-setup => Input Connections on the second page for
each tuner in the "Schedule order:" and "Live TV order:" fields.

Doing that should be sufficient to get you going on 16.04 with two
working tuners. Getting the HDHRs working would seem likely to be
some networking problem. I have never used one myself, so I am not
the best person to help with that, but I do have a lot of networking
experience. How are the HDHRs connected? Are they on a separate
Ethernet card on the MythTV box, or are they just on your main
network? Does the hdhomerun_config discover command see them? Does
the 16.04 setup see an Internet connection (ie is its networking
working)? Does it use DHCP or have a static address? Is there a
firewall installed?

Mythwelcome is another thing I have never used. I did run across
where it is started from in 16.04, which seems to be the file
/etc/mythtv/session-settings. You need to uncomment the
MYTHWELCOME=true line in there. Is that how you are running it? It
may have changed since 12.04.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]

> Since the HDHR tuners are not working, with all the order settings at
> 1 MythTV is likely choosing to use a non-working HDHR tuner at least
> 50% of the time for LiveTV, and possibly all the time as it may be
> choosing by lowest cardid number, which seems to be an HDHR. So to
> get the two internal tuners working, I would recommend setting them as
> 1 and 2 in both schedorder and livetvorder, with the HDHRs set as 3
> and 4. Once they are all working, you can consider how you really
> want to order them. Some people prefer to have the livetvorder order
> the opposite of the schedorder. I have them set up the same. They
> are set up in mythtv-setup => Input Connections on the second page for
> each tuner in the "Schedule order:" and "Live TV order:" fields.
>
> Doing that should be sufficient to get you going on 16.04 with two
> working tuners. Getting the HDHRs working would seem likely to be
> some networking problem. I have never used one myself, so I am not
> the best person to help with that, but I do have a lot of networking
> experience. How are the HDHRs connected? Are they on a separate
> Ethernet card on the MythTV box, or are they just on your main
> network? Does the hdhomerun_config discover command see them? Does
> the 16.04 setup see an Internet connection (ie is its networking
> working)? Does it use DHCP or have a static address? Is there a
> firewall installed?
>
> Mythwelcome is another thing I have never used. I did run across
> where it is started from in 16.04, which seems to be the file
> /etc/mythtv/session-settings. You need to uncomment the
> MYTHWELCOME=true line in there. Is that how you are running it? It
> may have changed since 12.04.

I there was a problem with the network connection to the HDHR,surely the
capture card setup tool would fail to scan and detect channels?
Likewise the card tuners.That tool seems to work fine.
Likewise the HDHR configure tool and MeTV would not work.
I changed the schedorder and livetvorder but that made no improvement.I
delected all tuners and set up just one and that did not work.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
I must say that given your tuner numbering, I suspect you have deleted and
added tuners a bit to get yourself in that state.

I would delete all tuners (delete all capture cards on system) and add them
back, the numbering will start at 1 again and produce a much cleaner and
better operating database. I have seen doing this recommended on
mythtv-user mailing list, and it worked for me when I had some similar
difficulties.

You will not have to retune as you just connect the new tuners to the
existing video sources, which you shouldn't need to delete.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 10:31:29 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> I must say that given your tuner numbering, I suspect you have deleted
> and added tuners a bit to get yourself in that state.
>
> I would delete all tuners (delete all capture cards on system) and add
> them back, the numbering will start at 1 again and produce a >much
> cleaner and better operating database. I have seen doing this
> recommended on mythtv-user mailing list, and it worked for me when >I
> had some similar difficulties.
>
> You will not have to retune as you just connect the new tuners to the
> existing video sources, which you shouldn't need to delete.
>
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 9:23 AM, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

Actually,I didn't,I just restored the database backup from the 12.04
installation.The tuner numbering is as it is on 12.04 and 12.04 still
works fine.
I'm deleted capture cards for the xth time and video sources and issued
the mysql commands below:
> truncate table capturecard;
> truncate table cardinput;
> quit;

and re-doing the setup.I don't expect it will rectify the problem.
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 10:31:29 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> I must say that given your tuner numbering, I suspect you have deleted
> and added tuners a bit to get yourself in that state.
>
> I would delete all tuners (delete all capture cards on system) and add
> them back, the numbering will start at 1 again and produce a >much
> cleaner and better operating database. I have seen doing this
> recommended on mythtv-user mailing list, and it worked for me when >I
> had some similar difficulties.
>
> You will not have to retune as you just connect the new tuners to the
> existing video sources, which you shouldn't need to delete.
>
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 9:23 AM, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

That failed as expected.
Is there a way to revert to a pristine database? i.e. the state that a
fresh install has.
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]

> That failed as expected.
>>
> Is there a way to revert to a pristine database? i.e. the state that a
> fresh install has.

I just bit the bullet and decided that I had already watched want I was
going to watch on my old system (admittedly it was only a few months old)
and I did a fresh installation.

The old recordings are still available on their own partition just not
available from "Recordings" in MythTV
--
Robert Fisher
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 11:15:04 +1200, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz>
wrote:

>> Is there a way to revert to a pristine database? i.e. the state that a
>> fresh install has.
>
> I just bit the bullet and decided that I had already watched want I was
> going to watch on my old system (admittedly it was only a few >months
> old) and I did a fresh installation.
>
> The old recordings are still available on their own partition just not
> available from "Recordings" in MythTV
> --Robert Fisher

Yes ,I expect a reinstall is due I will transfer existing recordings into
the videos directory
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 10:43:32 +1200, you wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 10:31:29 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I must say that given your tuner numbering, I suspect you have deleted
>> and added tuners a bit to get yourself in that state.
>>
>> I would delete all tuners (delete all capture cards on system) and add
>> them back, the numbering will start at 1 again and produce a >much
>> cleaner and better operating database. I have seen doing this
>> recommended on mythtv-user mailing list, and it worked for me when >I
>> had some similar difficulties.
>>
>> You will not have to retune as you just connect the new tuners to the
>> existing video sources, which you shouldn't need to delete.
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 9:23 AM, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>Actually,I didn't,I just restored the database backup from the 12.04
>installation.The tuner numbering is as it is on 12.04 and 12.04 still
>works fine.
>I'm deleted capture cards for the xth time and video sources and issued
>the mysql commands below:
>> truncate table capturecard;
>> truncate table cardinput;
>> quit;
>
>and re-doing the setup.I don't expect it will rectify the problem.

That is not the right way to delete all tuners. Sometimes there are
other things that need to be changed in the database when you delete
things that MythTV will do for you automatically. Just truncating a
table will not make those things happen. In this case, mythtv-setup
has a "Delete all tuners" option that is the right way to do it, and
will do any necessary cleanup. There are two delete options, one for
all tuners on one host, and one for all tuners. Use the one for all
tuners, as it does special cleanup to ensure that the tuner system is
ready to be recreated from scratch. For example, it will also delete
all the channelscan_* table entries.

When having tuner problems like yours, it is recommended by the devs
to do a full delete like that before recreating all the tuners again.
I have never done it, so I do not know if you also lose all the
channel setup, but since you are just trying things on the 16.04 setup
and still have the 12.04 to fall back to, I think it is about time to
try that, if you have not done it already.

What I normally do when I am going to set up a new system and then
move my database onto it is to first start with an empty database and
do the initial setup (including tuners and channels, but not xmltvids
and EPG). Then test the setup to make sure all the tuners work and so
on. If you want to try that, then you can empty the database and
re-create it. The way to do that is first shut down mythbackend
(systemctl stop mythtv-backend), then go into mysql and do these
commands:

drop database mythconverg;
source /usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql

The source command reads a set of SQL commands from that file, which
looks like this:

CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS mythconverg;
GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv@localhost IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
GRANT CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv@localhost
IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
ALTER DATABASE mythconverg DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE
utf8_general_ci;

If you need external access to the database for non-local frontends,
then you need to also do the GRANT commands for that. It might be an
idea to create a copy of the mc.sql file with the additional grant
commands, for later reference if you ever need to do this again. I
have one, which also has a "DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS mythconverg;"
command at the start.

The rest of the database creation is done automatically by
mythtv-setup or mythbackend when they start up and see an empty
database. So next, just run mythtv-setup and start configuring your
tuners.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
> [...]
> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
> GRANT CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv@localhost
> IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
> ALTER DATABASE mythconverg DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE
> utf8_general_ci;
>
> If you need external access to the database for non-local frontends,
> then you need to also do the GRANT commands for that. It might be an
> idea to create a copy of the mc.sql file with the additional grant
> commands, for later reference if you ever need to do this again. I
> have one, which also has a "DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS mythconverg;"
> command at the start.
>
> The rest of the database creation is done automatically by
> mythtv-setup or mythbackend when they start up and see an empty
> database. So next, just run mythtv-setup and start configuring your

I did delete all tuners etc. via the BE setup prior to issuing the mysql
truncate commands.
I did do the drop database mythconverg; source
/usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql
And that did not help but I may have repeated the original error.

I agree that your process for a new install is preferable to my immediate
restore of an old db.I will follow that after I pursue one more lead that
has shown up.

Cheers

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 15:36:34 +1200, you wrote:

> [...]
>> idea to create a copy of the mc.sql file with the additional grant
>> commands, for later reference if you ever need to do this again. I
>> have one, which also has a "DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS mythconverg;"
>> command at the start.
>>
>> The rest of the database creation is done automatically by
>> mythtv-setup or mythbackend when they start up and see an empty
>> database. So next, just run mythtv-setup and start configuring your
>> tuners.
>>

>I did delete all tuners etc. via the BE setup prior to issuing the mysql
>truncate commands.
>I did do the drop database mythconverg; source
>/usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql
>And that did not help but I may have repeated the original error.
>
>I agree that your process for a new install is preferable to my immediate
>restore of an old db.I will follow that after I pursue one more lead that

If the HDHRs are still not working, you could install Wireshark and
capture all the traffic to them from MythTV. That might give us some
clues as to what the problem is. And do a separate capture of the
traffic when they work using their setup tools or me-tv, for
comparison purposes.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On 03/08/16 14:05, Paulgir wrote:

> Yes ,I expect a reinstall is due I will transfer existing recordings
> into the videos directory

There were still a couple of "gotchas" with the latest MythBuntu 16.04
but it is running well now.

--
Robert
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]

>> I did delete all tuners etc. via the BE setup prior to issuing the mysql
>> truncate commands.
>> I did do the drop database mythconverg; source
>> /usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql
>> And that did not help but I may have repeated the original error.
>>
>> I agree that your process for a new install is preferable to my
>> immediate
>> restore of an old db.I will follow that after I pursue one more lead
>> that
>> has shown up.
>>
>> Cheers
>
> If the HDHRs are still not working, you could install Wireshark and
> capture all the traffic to them from MythTV. That might give us some
> clues as to what the problem is. And do a separate capture of the
> traffic when they work using their setup tools or me-tv, for
> comparison purposes.

I'm just checking the functionality of my tuners again because it appears
that in MeTV I get an error if I select /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 on
both the 12.04 and 16.04 installs.
These are the MeTV messages:

04/08/16 09:52:26: Not currently displaying 'TV ONE'
04/08/16 09:52:26: Exception: Failed to get available frontend
4/08/16 09:51:25: Exception: Frontend read failed
(/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Value too large for defined data type

Also, I have a bug in 12.04 that won't let me switch sources in live TV
(HDHR or PCIe card tuners).The system locks up.
So what I did to check if the Card tuner wasn't half dead was to reduce
the number of tuners per device to 1 and record 4 programs from the 3
MUXs.The tuners did all 4 successfully. Therefore I assume the 2 tuners in
the card are ok as are the 2 in the HDHR.
Is my logic correct?

Cheers
-Paul