Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4  View All
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
I have now got my 16.04 test box running again, and spent some time
this afternoon looking at the log files.

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 09:40:37 +1200, you wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 20:23:03 +1200, Stephen Worthington
><stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 10:32:48 +1200, you wrote:
>>
>>> Here's a link to a text file with the log snippets you requested:
>>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5RRWPLTmilhLUFhLTFkN3dEeUU
>>
>> I have finally had a free moment to start looking at the log files,
>> starting with the syslogs, and the thing that right away I can see as
>> a problem is that the hostname of the PC has changed from 12.04 (myth)
>> to 16.04 (mythpc). That screws up the MythTV database quite badly, as
>> lots of settings are per hostname and many other tables have a
>> hostname field. When changing the hostname of a PC, you have to
>> follow this procedure:
>

>My original install of 16.04 had the same hostname as the 12.04
>install.This was the one where I restored a DB backup from 12.04 onto
>16.04.When I discovered that this led to a typo error in the command I
>used to change the permissions on the storage drive,I did a reinstall of
>16.04 with a new hostname to avoid that mistake.
>On the new install I did not restore a 12.04 DB backup onto it.So the logs
>you have seen are from a system with a pristine DB.
>

>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hostname_change#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend
>>
>> and also see this:
>>
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration
>>
>> I am not sure how well the hostname change options on
>> mythconverg_restore.pl work - I have never used them. If they change
>> all the hostnames in all the tables, everything should work a lot
>> better than before. I believe the right sequence would be to do a new
>> restore of the 12.04 database to the 16.04 setup, then run the
>> hostname change command, then run mythtv-setup to upgrade the database
>> schema, then start mythbackend and run mythfrontend to upgrade any
>> other plugin database that needed it.
>>
>> I think you said you are just installing 16.04 on a new SSD in the
>> same PC.
>
>That is correct.
>
> If so, then it might be easier to just do a reinstall of
>> 16.04 keeping the old hostname, and then do an ordinary restore of the
>> database. Once things are all working again, you could then look at
>> changing the hostname.
>
>As of yesterday ,I somehow killed the 16.04 system's ability to
>boot,setting up Myth Welcome.I ran boot repair but it did not correct the
>problem.
>I could probably find the problem and fix it but I have decided to
>reinstall as that will be much quicker.
>I will use the same hostname as 12.04 ,in case I decide to do a DB restore
> from 12.04.
>I will probably not do a restore,though as I don't have a huge number of
>recordings on 12.04 and may just move them to /Videos.
>
>I want to,initially, only install the HDHR tuners to see if I have the
>same start delay.

The HDHR tuners will need a reasonable start delay as they need to
have networking fully up before they can be used. This page gives how
to do it:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Systemd_mythbackend_Configuration

in the "Delay starting the backend until network has initialized"
section. But that information is generic, not specific to Ubuntu
16.04. What I think you need to do first is to try setting things up
so that you can wait for NetworkManager to say the network is up. Only
if that does not work should pingnetwork.service be needed. So the
first thing to do is this command to see if the right NetworkMangager
target is enabled in systemd:

systemctl status NetworkManager-wait-online.service

If that does not show that the NetworkManager-wait-online.service is
enabled and working, then enable it:

systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Then mythbackend must be made to wait for that target. In your
mythtv_backend_override.conf, in the [Unit] section, add a new line:

After=NetworkManager-wait-online.service

>> However, that problem would not affect you if you were just running a
>> new database on 16.04, and I have not checked all the emails to see if
>> the latest tests (for the log files) were done with a clean database,
>
>Yes it was clean.
>
>> or using a restored one. I may be able to work it out from the logs,
>> but please let me know if you can remember. If the tests were done
>> with a database with wrong hostnames, there is not much point in
>> looking at the mythbackend logs until that problem is fixed.
>>
>> One other minor thing I can see is that the language locale seems to
>> be en_gb on the 12.04 setup, but en_us on the 16.04 one. Since en_NZ
>> is a variant of en_gb, lots of things show en_gb when the locale is
>> set to en_NZ, so check the output of the "locale" command on 12.04 to
>> see if it is really set to en_NZ. If so, 16.04 should be set up the
>> same way. There can be problems with MythTV themes and other subtle
>> things if the locales do not match between the operating system and
>> the MythTV database.
>
>12.04:
>~$ locale
>LANG=en_NZ.UTF-8
>LANGUAGE=en_NZ:en
>LC_CTYPE="en_NZ.UTF-8"
>LC_NUMERIC="en_NZ.UTF-8"
>LC_TIME="en_NZ.UTF-8"
>LC_COLLATE="en_NZ.UTF-8"
>LC_MONETARY="en_NZ.UTF-8"
>LC_MESSAGES="en_NZ.UTF-8"
>LC_PAPER="en_NZ.UTF-8"
>LC_NAME="en_NZ.UTF-8"
>LC_ADDRESS="en_NZ.UTF-8"
>LC_TELEPHONE="en_NZ.UTF-8"
>LC_MEASUREMENT="en_NZ.UTF-8"
>LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_NZ.UTF-8"
>LC_ALL=
>

>> When I have some more time I will look further at the logs.
>>
>> BTW My test PC is down for a few days - my mother's MythTV box power
>> supply fan suddenly became very noisy, so I had to use my spare power
>> supply from the test PC to keep her MythTV going until we can get a
>> new power supply for it. So I am unable to do any testing with 16.04
>> at the moment.

I think I know why systemd was timing out waiting for the /dev/dvb
devices. It seems I forgot to tell you about creating an
/etc/udev/rules.d/99-mythbackend.rules file:

#
# Create systemd device units for capture devices
#
SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux", TAG+="systemd"
SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", TAG+="systemd"
SUBSYSTEM=="firewire", TAG+="systemd"

What that does is to make udev send systemd messages when those
devices are created. Without it, systemd never received any messages
to tell it the devices were ready, hence the timeout. I think I must
have created that file a while ago, so when I was working out how to
get systemd to wait for the DVB devices, I completely forgot it was
needed. I really think that file should be installed automatically by
the MythTV packages. Like the other files in that directory, it needs
to be chown root:root and chmod u=rw,g=r,o=r.

With those changes, systemd should be able to bring up mythbackend
only after both the HVR-2200 and HDHR tuners are available.

From the logs, I am pretty sure that the second firmware file for the
HVR-2200 tuners (dvb-fe-tda10048-1.0.fw) is only loaded after
mythbackend sends them a tuning command for the first time, so there
is no need to wait for that firmware to be loaded. Doing the firmware
load means that the first tuning of the HVR-2200 tuners will likely
take a bit longer - it is possible that mythbackend may timeout
waiting for a response from the tuner and that may be why it seems to
try those tuners several times as it starts up:

Aug 14 10:09:53 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
DVBChan[1](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
Aug 14 10:09:58 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
DVBChan[3](/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
Aug 14 10:09:59 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
DVBChan[1](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
Aug 14 10:10:00 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
DVBChan[1](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
Aug 14 10:10:02 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
DVBChan[3](/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
Aug 14 10:10:03 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
DVBChan[3](/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms

That looks a bit worrying compared to what I see with my /dev/dvb
tuners, where each tuner gets tuned only once, in tuner number order.
But if the tuners are working afterward, that is all that matters.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 21:02:40 +1200, Stephen Worthington
> [...]

> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
> DVBChan[1](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
> Aug 14 10:10:02 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
> DVBChan[3](/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
> Aug 14 10:10:03 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
> DVBChan[3](/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
>
> That looks a bit worrying compared to what I see with my /dev/dvb
> tuners, where each tuner gets tuned only once, in tuner number order.
> But if the tuners are working afterward, that is all that matters.

> I really appreciate your research into this problem.
I did some searching on the forums to see what other commentaries on 16.04
were saying and found one that matched my experience very closely.One
major concern that has nagged at me is the way the set up pages seems to
behave when setting up capture cards.Even before the tuners are set
up,trying to get the "set up new capture card" page to open takes 3 to 5
minutes.
To me this says there are bugs in this part of the software.A post on
Ubuntu forums describes the same behaviour and goes on to say that Mythtv
would lose the capture card setup every week and it would have to be
redone.That poster decided to use 14.04.
I certainly don't want to risk introducing that kind of instability into
my PVR.

So I decided to see how 14.04.5 (with mythtv 0.28) installs.This was
dream.It took about 3 hours to get up and running with no hardware related
problems.
Interestingly, 14.04.5 boots as fast as 16.04 on the SSD - in about 18
seconds.So if the boot in 16.04 was too fast for the cards to
initialise,why is it not a problem for 14.04.5?

I'm inclined to stick with 14.04 and hope 16.04 gets ironed out in the
next 2 years.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 10:47:09 +1200, you wrote:

> [...]
>minutes.
>To me this says there are bugs in this part of the software.A post on
>Ubuntu forums describes the same behaviour and goes on to say that Mythtv
>would lose the capture card setup every week and it would have to be
>redone.That poster decided to use 14.04.
>I certainly don't want to risk introducing that kind of instability into
>my PVR.
>
>So I decided to see how 14.04.5 (with mythtv 0.28) installs.This was
>dream.It took about 3 hours to get up and running with no hardware related
>problems.
>Interestingly, 14.04.5 boots as fast as 16.04 on the SSD - in about 18
>seconds.So if the boot in 16.04 was too fast for the cards to
>initialise,why is it not a problem for 14.04.5?
>
>I'm inclined to stick with 14.04 and hope 16.04 gets ironed out in the

The use of systemd in 16.04 is what makes the difference in booting.
Systemd works completely differently from upstart, and allows things
to start better in parallel, rather than having to wait and start in
sequence. But because of that, you can get race conditions if you do
not set up the startup conditions properly. The mythbackend startup
conditions in the package as installed are only OK for systems that do
not have external access to MythTV and which have very standard
tuners. Putting in the right conditions (which is where I hope we
have arrived at now) should allow mythbackend to start at the right
time.

The reports about mythtv-setup taking ages to get to the new capture
card page are likely what I saw when I first tried 0.28 on 16.04. That
is a problem with the code supporting the new VBox network tuners,
where the code involved takes a very long time to decide that there
are no VBoxes on the network. In my case, that happened because I had
not set up my networking on my new test box at that point, so it was
not working properly. Once I sorted out my network setup, the long
timeout waiting for VBox detection went away, although it still takes
longer than it used to. The reason for the problem was quite visible
in the xterm window that pops up to run mythtv-setup.real - I could
see the messages about VBoxes when I swapped to that window while I
was waiting for mythtv-setup.real to open the new tuner page. VBox
support is new in 0.28 and I think this problem is just a bug, but I
have not checked to see if it has been reported yet.

I have not heard anything about 16.04 losing its capture card setup
though. That is pretty major and I would have expected to see reports
about it on the mythtv-users mailing list by now, but there has been
nothing.

Using 14.04.05 and 0.28 should be fine for a while, if you want to do
that, but the kernel will not be updated as I think the 14.04.5 kernel
is the last one from 15.10, which is no longer supported. The 14.04.0
kernel (3.13.x) is still being updated and will be as long as 14.04 is
being supported. You would not be avoiding the VBox problem or the
possible loss of capture card setup if you use 0.28 on 14.04. And as
you are using an SSD, 16.04 is recommended for better support for
that. SSDs do work in 14.04, but you do not get all the latest tweaks
without a 4.x kernel.

What sort of SSD do you have? In 14.04, there are problems running
the fstrim command or the fstab discard option (one or other of which
is necessary for using an SSD). Only a limited range of SSDs are
supported, so you need to check if yours is supported. This comment
is present in the /etc/cron.weekly/fstrim file in 14.04 and is gone in
16.04:

# This only runs on Intel and Samsung SSDs by default, as some SSDs
with faulty
# firmware may encounter data loss problems when running fstrim under
high I/O
# load (e. g. https://launchpad.net/bugs/1259829). You can append the
# --no-model-check option here to disable the vendor check and run
fstrim on
# all SSD drives.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
> The use of systemd in 16.04 is what makes the difference in booting.
> Systemd works completely differently from upstart, and allows things
> to start better in parallel, rather than having to wait and start in
> sequence. But because of that, you can get race conditions if you do
> not set up the startup conditions properly. The mythbackend startup
> conditions in the package as installed are only OK for systems that do
> not have external access to MythTV and which have very standard
> tuners. Putting in the right conditions (which is where I hope we
> have arrived at now) should allow mythbackend to start at the right
> time.
>
> The reports about mythtv-setup taking ages to get to the new capture
> card page are likely what I saw when I first tried 0.28 on 16.04. That
> is a problem with the code supporting the new VBox network tuners,
> where the code involved takes a very long time to decide that there
> are no VBoxes on the network. In my case, that happened because I had
> not set up my networking on my new test box at that point, so it was
> not working properly. Once I sorted out my network setup, the long
> timeout waiting for VBox detection went away, although it still takes
> longer than it used to. The reason for the problem was quite visible
> in the xterm window that pops up to run mythtv-setup.real - I could
> see the messages about VBoxes when I swapped to that window while I
> was waiting for mythtv-setup.real to open the new tuner page. VBox
> support is new in 0.28 and I think this problem is just a bug, but I
> have not checked to see if it has been reported yet.

In my case networking was the first thing I setup.I used remmina remote
desktop to work on the PVR,so it is the first task on a new install.Then I
tried HDHR configure GUI and that always worked so networking was
functional.So I'm skeptical whether this applies to my situation.

> I have not heard anything about 16.04 losing its capture card setup
> though. That is pretty major and I would have expected to see reports
> about it on the mythtv-users mailing list by now, but there has been
> nothing.
>
> Using 14.04.05 and 0.28 should be fine for a while, if you want to do
> that, but the kernel will not be updated as I think the 14.04.5 kernel
> is the last one from 15.10, which is no longer supported. The 14.04.0
> kernel (3.13.x) is still being updated and will be as long as 14.04 is
> being supported. You would not be avoiding the VBox problem or the
> possible loss of capture card setup if you use 0.28 on 14.04. And as
> you are using an SSD, 16.04 is recommended for better support for
> that. SSDs do work in 14.04, but you do not get all the latest tweaks
> without a 4.x kernel.

> What sort of SSD do you have? In 14.04, there are problems running
> the fstrim command or the fstab discard option (one or other of which
> is necessary for using an SSD). Only a limited range of SSDs are
> supported, so you need to check if yours is supported. This comment
> is present in the /etc/cron.weekly/fstrim file in 14.04 and is gone in
> 16.04:

> The SSD is an Adata SP600 64GB the same as I have had on my desktop PC
> for several years.Fstrim has not given any trouble on that.
This does not appear in the whitelist.When I run sudo fstrim -v / I get:

myth@myth:~$ sudo fstrim -v /
/: 53121429504 bytes were trimmed
myth@myth:~$ sudo fstrim -v /
/: 0 bytes were trimmed

This is the script I have in /cron.weekly :

#!/bin/sh
LOG=/var/log/trim.log
echo "*** $(date -R) ***" >> $LOG
fstrim -v / >> $LOG

> # This only runs on Intel and Samsung SSDs by default, as some SSDs
> with faulty
> # firmware may encounter data loss problems when running fstrim under
> high I/O
> # load (e. g. https://launchpad.net/bugs/1259829). You can append the
> # --no-model-check option here to disable the vendor check and run
> fstrim on
> # all SSD drives.

I now have 14.04 set up completed, so I should be able to backup the
database and use that backup to set up 16.04 should I install it.
Would this be correct?
If this is the case I will have another go at 16.04

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On 27/08/16 09:23, Paulgir wrote:
> I now have 14.04 set up completed, so I should be able to backup the
> database and use that backup to set up 16.04 should I install it.
> Would this be correct?
> If this is the case I will have another go at 16.04
If you are going to install 16.04 I would recommend that either you use
the latest version (16.04.1) or do all of the available updates (to
16.04) before setting up MythTV.
I have a feeling that several early bugs were fixed with 16.04.1/

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 9:23 AM, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

> The use of systemd in 16.04 is what makes the difference in booting.
>> Systemd works completely differently from upstart, and allows things
>> to start better in parallel, rather than having to wait and start in
>> sequence. But because of that, you can get race conditions if you do
>> not set up the startup conditions properly. The mythbackend startup
>> conditions in the package as installed are only OK for systems that do
>> not have external access to MythTV and which have very standard
>> tuners. Putting in the right conditions (which is where I hope we
>> have arrived at now) should allow mythbackend to start at the right
>> time.
>>
>> The reports about mythtv-setup taking ages to get to the new capture
>> card page are likely what I saw when I first tried 0.28 on 16.04. That
>> is a problem with the code supporting the new VBox network tuners,
>> where the code involved takes a very long time to decide that there
>> are no VBoxes on the network. In my case, that happened because I had
>> not set up my networking on my new test box at that point, so it was
>> not working properly. Once I sorted out my network setup, the long
>> timeout waiting for VBox detection went away, although it still takes
>> longer than it used to. The reason for the problem was quite visible
>> in the xterm window that pops up to run mythtv-setup.real - I could
>> see the messages about VBoxes when I swapped to that window while I
>> was waiting for mythtv-setup.real to open the new tuner page. VBox
>> support is new in 0.28 and I think this problem is just a bug, but I
>> have not checked to see if it has been reported yet.
>>

> In my case networking was the first thing I setup.I used remmina remote
> desktop to work on the PVR,so it is the first task on a new install.Then I
> tried HDHR configure GUI and that always worked so networking was
> functional.So I'm skeptical whether this applies to my situation.

The point is not whether networking works on your machine, but whether
networking is started when mythbackend starts. If networking isn't up when
mythbackend starts, it won't be able to see the networked HDHR.
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 09:23:26 +1200, you wrote:

>> The use of systemd in 16.04 is what makes the difference in booting.
>> Systemd works completely differently from upstart, and allows things
>> to start better in parallel, rather than having to wait and start in
>> sequence. But because of that, you can get race conditions if you do
>> not set up the startup conditions properly. The mythbackend startup
>> conditions in the package as installed are only OK for systems that do
>> not have external access to MythTV and which have very standard
>> tuners. Putting in the right conditions (which is where I hope we
>> have arrived at now) should allow mythbackend to start at the right
>> time.
>>
>> The reports about mythtv-setup taking ages to get to the new capture
>> card page are likely what I saw when I first tried 0.28 on 16.04. That
>> is a problem with the code supporting the new VBox network tuners,
>> where the code involved takes a very long time to decide that there
>> are no VBoxes on the network. In my case, that happened because I had
>> not set up my networking on my new test box at that point, so it was
>> not working properly. Once I sorted out my network setup, the long
>> timeout waiting for VBox detection went away, although it still takes
>> longer than it used to. The reason for the problem was quite visible
>> in the xterm window that pops up to run mythtv-setup.real - I could
>> see the messages about VBoxes when I swapped to that window while I
>> was waiting for mythtv-setup.real to open the new tuner page. VBox
>> support is new in 0.28 and I think this problem is just a bug, but I
>> have not checked to see if it has been reported yet.
>
>In my case networking was the first thing I setup.I used remmina remote
>desktop to work on the PVR,so it is the first task on a new install.Then I
>tried HDHR configure GUI and that always worked so networking was
>functional.So I'm skeptical whether this applies to my situation.

My test box is today once again doing the Vbox search problem in
mythtv-setup. On checking ifconfig, I can see that for some reason I
have not yet diagnosed, it has failed to get a IPv6 address via
DHCPv6, and this seems to be triggering the problem. It has done this
at least twice before, but only when running 16.04, so my guess is
that it is yet another systemd timing problem. So if your network is
working for IPv4, but is IPv6 enabled your 16.04 install is not
working there, then that is a trigger for this Vbox bug. Here is what
my mythtv-setup.log file had for this:

Aug 27 19:03:48 lith mythtv-setup.real: mythtv-setup[11857]: I
CoreContext recorders/vboxutils.cpp:48 (probeDevices) VBox: Using UPNP
to search for Vboxes (3 secs)
Aug 27 19:04:51 lith mythtv-setup.real: mythtv-setup[11857]: I
CoreContext recorders/vboxutils.cpp:105 (doUPNPSearch) VBox:
GetDeviceDesc() failed for <Unknown>
Aug 27 19:05:51 lith mythtv-setup.real: mythtv-setup[11857]: I
CoreContext recorders/vboxutils.cpp:105 (doUPNPSearch) VBox:
GetDeviceDesc() failed for <Unknown>
Aug 27 19:05:51 lith mythtv-setup.real: mythtv-setup[11857]: E
CoreContext v4l2util.cpp:53 (Open) V4L2(): Could not open '':
#012#011#011#011eno: No such file or directory (2)
Aug 27 19:05:52 lith mythtv-setup.real: mythtv-setup[11857]: W
CoreContext diseqc.cpp:395 (Load) DiSEqCDevTree: No device tree for
cardid 1

There are two timeouts or a minute or more happening in the Vbox code.

Unplugging the Ethernet cable and plugging in again fixes the IPv6
address problem on my test box, and then running mythtv-setup produces
this:

Aug 27 19:15:10 lith mythtv-setup.real: mythtv-setup[12464]: I
CoreContext recorders/vboxutils.cpp:48 (probeDevices) VBox: Using UPNP
to search for Vboxes (3 secs)
Aug 27 19:15:13 lith mythtv-setup.real: mythtv-setup[12464]: I
CoreContext recorders/vboxutils.cpp:105 (doUPNPSearch) VBox:
GetDeviceDesc() failed for <Unknown>
Aug 27 19:15:13 lith mythtv-setup.real: mythtv-setup[12464]: E
CoreContext v4l2util.cpp:53 (Open) V4L2(): Could not open '':
#012#011#011#011eno: No such file or directory (2)
Aug 27 19:15:14 lith mythtv-setup.real: mythtv-setup[12464]: W
CoreContext diseqc.cpp:395 (Load) DiSEqCDevTree: No device tree for
cardid 1

Similar messages but no long timeouts.

>> I have not heard anything about 16.04 losing its capture card setup
>> though. That is pretty major and I would have expected to see reports
>> about it on the mythtv-users mailing list by now, but there has been
>> nothing.
>>
>> Using 14.04.05 and 0.28 should be fine for a while, if you want to do
>> that, but the kernel will not be updated as I think the 14.04.5 kernel
>> is the last one from 15.10, which is no longer supported. The 14.04.0
>> kernel (3.13.x) is still being updated and will be as long as 14.04 is
>> being supported. You would not be avoiding the VBox problem or the
>> possible loss of capture card setup if you use 0.28 on 14.04. And as
>> you are using an SSD, 16.04 is recommended for better support for
>> that. SSDs do work in 14.04, but you do not get all the latest tweaks
>> without a 4.x kernel.
>

>> What sort of SSD do you have? In 14.04, there are problems running
>> the fstrim command or the fstab discard option (one or other of which
>> is necessary for using an SSD). Only a limited range of SSDs are
>> supported, so you need to check if yours is supported. This comment
>> is present in the /etc/cron.weekly/fstrim file in 14.04 and is gone in
>> 16.04:
>
>> The SSD is an Adata SP600 64GB the same as I have had on my desktop PC
>> for several years.Fstrim has not given any trouble on that.
>This does not appear in the whitelist.When I run sudo fstrim -v / I get:
>
>myth@myth:~$ sudo fstrim -v /
>/: 53121429504 bytes were trimmed
>myth@myth:~$ sudo fstrim -v /
>/: 0 bytes were trimmed
>
>This is the script I have in /cron.weekly :
>
>#!/bin/sh
>LOG=/var/log/trim.log
>echo "*** $(date -R) ***" >> $LOG
>fstrim -v / >> $LOG

OK, you must have customised the /etc/cron.weekly/fstrim command. That
looks like a good idea - I have borrowed it. I have also shifted the
fstrim to /etc/cron.daily though - I am pretty sure my SSD gets enough
use to need daily trimming. And the log file (which I have renamed to
fstrim.log) needs rotation, so I created a file
/etc/logrotate.d/fstrim:

/var/log/fstrim.log {
daily
size=1M
rotate 7
notifempty
copytruncate
missingok
}

However, by using a customised /etc/cron.weekly/fstrim file, you have
bypassed the check for unsupported SSDs. The default
/etc/cron.weekly/fstrim file on 14.04 is this:

#!/bin/sh
# call fstrim-all to trim all mounted file systems which support it
set -e

# This only runs on Intel and Samsung SSDs by default, as some SSDs
with faulty
# firmware may encounter data loss problems when running fstrim under
high I/O
# load (e. g. https://launchpad.net/bugs/1259829). You can append the
# --no-model-check option here to disable the vendor check and run
fstrim on
# all SSD drives.
exec fstrim-all

That executes the /sbin/fstrim-all script, which has the checks for
which SSDs are supported or not. Looking at that script, Adata is not
listed as being a safe brand to use TRIM on. The safety of the TRIM
command with older kernels varies from one device to another within a
brand, so I think it would be a good idea for you to check the web and
see if yours is a safe one. If not, then you are running a serious
risk using fstrim - if it happens to run at the same time as there is
heavy I/O traffic on your SSD, you could wind up with a trashed
filesystem. So I would recommend disabling automatic fstrim until you
know it is safe, or have upgraded to 16.04 where the kernels are safe
to use TRIM with as they know what devices are unsafe and have the
necessary fixes for other devices. You can still run fstrim manually,
when you know that there will not be high I/O happening while it is
being run, which probably means shutting down mythbackend.

The SSD I have for my 14.04 setup is fortunately a Samsung one (850
Pro) and is safe. I did not know that when I bought it though - I
just got lucky.

>I now have 14.04 set up completed, so I should be able to backup the
>database and use that backup to set up 16.04 should I install it.
>Would this be correct?
>If this is the case I will have another go at 16.04

Yes, you can just use a 14.04 database backup to install on 16.04.
Another option for a 16.04 upgrade is to backup the entire 14.04
system (I use Clonezilla) then do an upgrade in place of both the
system and MythTV using do-release-upgrade or the GUI equivalent.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 20:06:18 +1200, Stephen Worthington
> [...]

>>> The SSD is an Adata SP600 64GB the same as I have had on my desktop PC
>>> for several years.Fstrim has not given any trouble on that.
>> This does not appear in the whitelist.When I run sudo fstrim -v / I get:
>>
>> myth@myth:~$ sudo fstrim -v /
>> /: 53121429504 bytes were trimmed
>> myth@myth:~$ sudo fstrim -v /
>> /: 0 bytes were trimmed
>>
>> This is the script I have in /cron.weekly :
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> LOG=/var/log/trim.log
>> echo "*** $(date -R) ***" >> $LOG
>> fstrim -v / >> $LOG
>
> OK, you must have customised the /etc/cron.weekly/fstrim command. That
> looks like a good idea - I have borrowed it. I have also shifted the
> fstrim to /etc/cron.daily though - I am pretty sure my SSD gets enough
> use to need daily trimming. And the log file (which I have renamed to
> fstrim.log) needs rotation, so I created a file

I figured weekly was ok for the myth box.My desktop trims daily.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 7:55 AM, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> Pro) and is safe. I did not know that when I bought it though - I
>> just got lucky.
>>

>> I now have 14.04 set up completed, so I should be able to backup the
>>> database and use that backup to set up 16.04 should I install it.
>>> Would this be correct?
>>> If this is the case I will have another go at 16.04
>>>

>> Yes, you can just use a 14.04 database backup to install on 16.04.
>> Another option for a 16.04 upgrade is to backup the entire 14.04
>> system (I use Clonezilla) then do an upgrade in place of both the
>> system and MythTV using do-release-upgrade or the GUI equivalent.

> I already have an image of the 14.04 partition and have a DB backup of the
> freshly setup system.I will start another install of 16.04.1 today.Set up
> the various changes: (vino,firmware,fstab,trim etc) and then restore the
> 14.04 DB and start looking at the systemd fixes.

Why? You have a working 14.04 system. Leave it be.
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 16:37:26 +1200, you wrote:

>Why? You have a working 14.04 system. Leave it be.

It is probably not safe for SSD TRIM commands on his Adata SSD - that
happens with the 16.04 kernels.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 8:04 PM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 16:37:26 +1200, you wrote:
>
> >Why? You have a working 14.04 system. Leave it be.
>
> It is probably not safe for SSD TRIM commands on his Adata SSD - that
> happens with the 16.04 kernels.

Well update the kernel then!

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 20:35:17 +1200, you wrote:

>On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 8:04 PM, Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 16:37:26 +1200, you wrote:
>>
>> >Why? You have a working 14.04 system. Leave it be.
>>
>> It is probably not safe for SSD TRIM commands on his Adata SSD - that
>> happens with the 16.04 kernels.
>>

>Well update the kernel then!

It may be possible to run 4.4 kernels on a 14.04 system - but I would
want to do a fair bit of testing to be sure it worked. And the
ancillary software such as fstrim and the scripts that run it would
also need to be updated.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
>> I already have an image of the 14.04 partition and have a DB backup of
>> the freshly setup system.I will start another install of >>16.04.1
>> today.Set up the various changes: (vino,firmware,fstab,trim etc) and
>> then restore the 14.04 DB and start looking at the >>systemd fixes.
>>

> Why? You have a working 14.04 system. Leave it be.
I also have a working 12.04 system that is in use.
There is a question now over 14.04 ability to safely trim SSDs and if I
can get 16.04 to work I will try to do so.After all,I will eventually have
to get a version of mythbuntu with systemd to work or move to another
distro.
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]

> [...]
> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
> Aug 14 10:10:00 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
> DVBChan[1](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
> Aug 14 10:10:02 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
> DVBChan[3](/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
> Aug 14 10:10:03 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
> DVBChan[3](/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
>
> That looks a bit worrying compared to what I see with my /dev/dvb
> tuners, where each tuner gets tuned only once, in tuner number order.
> But if the tuners are working afterward, that is all that matters.

Good news.I got 16.04.1 set up yesterday and instituted your suggested
changes to /etc/udev/rules.d/99-mythbackend.rules.I briefly tested it
before getting a callout.Today I tested it further: it boots in around 50
secs HVR-2200 and HDHR tuners all work.
I'm just starting to get Myth Welcome set up.
Many thanks for all the assistance. :)

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 12:07:30 +1200, you wrote:

> [...]
>> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
>> DVBChan[3](/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
>> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
>> Aug 14 10:10:03 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
>> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
>> DVBChan[3](/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
>> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
>>
>> That looks a bit worrying compared to what I see with my /dev/dvb
>> tuners, where each tuner gets tuned only once, in tuner number order.
>> But if the tuners are working afterward, that is all that matters.

>Good news.I got 16.04.1 set up yesterday and instituted your suggested
>changes to /etc/udev/rules.d/99-mythbackend.rules.I briefly tested it
>before getting a callout.Today I tested it further: it boots in around 50
>secs HVR-2200 and HDHR tuners all work.
>I'm just starting to get Myth Welcome set up.

Excellent! Now I will have to start moving to 16.04 too. But before
I do that, I am trying to get a new way of doing my Sky decryption
working, using supported software now that ffdecsawrapper has lost its
support, and that is taking quite a while. I can move my mother's
Myth box and my laptop to 16.04 before then though. They are all on
0.28 already.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
>> Good news.I got 16.04.1 set up yesterday and instituted your suggested
>> changes to /etc/udev/rules.d/99-mythbackend.rules.I briefly tested it
>> before getting a callout.Today I tested it further: it boots in around
>> 50
>> secs HVR-2200 and HDHR tuners all work.
>> I'm just starting to get Myth Welcome set up.
>> Many thanks for all the assistance. :)
>
> Excellent! Now I will have to start moving to 16.04 too. But before
> I do that, I am trying to get a new way of doing my Sky decryption
> working, using supported software now that ffdecsawrapper has lost its
> support, and that is taking quite a while. I can move my mother's
> Myth box and my laptop to 16.04 before then though. They are all on
> 0.28 already.

I'll keep the list updated with any further problems I have.
I noted that yesterday, I had a few frontend crashes at startup when I was
setting Mythwelcome up.
On 12.04 and 14.04 I just followed the standard setup for mythwelcome and
it would open with the mythwelcome screen on the monitor.
In 16.04 this wasn't the case so I put an entry into startup applications
to start mythwelcome.I need to do further testing to see if this is a
proper way to do this.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
sorry for the late post ...

On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 11:31:52PM +1200, Robert Fisher wrote:

> > The tv_grab_nz-py EPG
> > grabber does not have the ability to modify the .xmltv files, but
> > IIRC, it can create them on initial setup. But it is a long time
> > since I used tv_grab_nz-py like that, as I do my channel setup using
> > other means, so I may be wrong about that.
> >
> IIRC tv_grab_nz-py did try to create the xmltv file but did not complete the
> job and I had to manually edit it.
> (Was it a problem with the Maori TV special character or something?)
>
> It is a documented problem but the easy fix for me was manually editing.

maybe, as root, "dpkg-reconfigure locales" and add the Maori locale from the list
will fix it?

--
The media's the most powerful entity on earth.
They have the power to make the innocent guilty