Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4  View All
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I did delete all tuners etc. via the BE setup prior to issuing the mysql
>>> truncate commands.
>>> I did do the drop database mythconverg; source
>>> /usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql
>>> And that did not help but I may have repeated the original error.
>>>
>>> I agree that your process for a new install is preferable to my immediate
>>> restore of an old db.I will follow that after I pursue one more lead that
>>> has shown up.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>> If the HDHRs are still not working, you could install Wireshark and
>> capture all the traffic to them from MythTV. That might give us some
>> clues as to what the problem is. And do a separate capture of the
>> traffic when they work using their setup tools or me-tv, for
>> comparison purposes.
>>

> I'm just checking the functionality of my tuners again because it appears
> that in MeTV I get an error if I select /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 on both
> the 12.04 and 16.04 installs.
> These are the MeTV messages:
>
> 04/08/16 09:52:26: Not currently displaying 'TV ONE'
> 04/08/16 09:52:26: Exception: Failed to get available frontend
> 4/08/16 09:51:25: Exception: Frontend read failed
> (/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Value too large for defined data type
>
> Also, I have a bug in 12.04 that won't let me switch sources in live TV
> (HDHR or PCIe card tuners).The system locks up.
> So what I did to check if the Card tuner wasn't half dead was to reduce
> the number of tuners per device to 1 and record 4 programs from the 3
> MUXs.The tuners did all 4 successfully. Therefore I assume the 2 tuners in
> the card are ok as are the 2 in the HDHR.
> Is my logic correct?

No, you only need 3 tuners to get 3 muxes. The backend log will tell you
which tuner was used for each recording.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
If the HDHRs are still not working, you could install Wireshark and
capture all the traffic to them from MythTV. That might give us some
clues as to what the problem is. And do a separate capture of the
traffic when they work using their setup tools or me-tv, for
comparison purposes.

>> These are the MeTV messages:
>>
>> 04/08/16 09:52:26: Not currently displaying 'TV ONE'
>> 04/08/16 09:52:26: Exception: Failed to get available frontend
>> 4/08/16 09:51:25: Exception: Frontend read failed
>> (/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Value too large for defined data type
>>
>> Also, I have a bug in 12.04 that won't let me switch sources in live TV
>> (HDHR or PCIe card tuners).The system locks up.
>> So what I did to check if the Card tuner wasn't half dead was to reduce
>> the number of tuners per device to 1 and record 4 programs >>from the 3
>> MUXs.The tuners did all 4 successfully. Therefore I assume the 2 tuners
>> in the card are ok as are the 2 in the HDHR.
>> Is my logic correct?
>
> No, you only need 3 tuners to get 3 muxes. The backend log will tell you
> which tuner was used for each recording.

Won't setting the number of tuners (virtual) to 1 force the use of 4
hardware tuners to tune 4 programmes?
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

> If the HDHRs are still not working, you could install Wireshark and
> capture all the traffic to them from MythTV. That might give us some
> clues as to what the problem is. And do a separate capture of the
> traffic when they work using their setup tools or me-tv, for
> comparison purposes.
>

>> I'm just checking the functionality of my tuners again because it appears
>> that in MeTV I get an error if I select /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 on both
>> the 12.04 and 16.04 installs.
>> These are the MeTV messages:
>>
>> 04/08/16 09:52:26: Not currently displaying 'TV ONE'
>> 04/08/16 09:52:26: Exception: Failed to get available frontend
>> 4/08/16 09:51:25: Exception: Frontend read failed
>> (/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Value too large for defined data type
>>
>> Also, I have a bug in 12.04 that won't let me switch sources in live TV
>> (HDHR or PCIe card tuners).The system locks up.
>> So what I did to check if the Card tuner wasn't half dead was to reduce
>> the number of tuners per device to 1 and record 4 programs from the 3
>> MUXs.The tuners did all 4 successfully. Therefore I assume the 2 tuners in
>> the card are ok as are the 2 in the HDHR.
>> Is my logic correct?
>>

> No, you only need 3 tuners to get 3 muxes. The backend log will tell you
> which tuner was used for each recording.
>

>> Won't setting the number of tuners (virtual) to 1 force the use of 4
> hardware tuners to tune 4 programmes?

Sorry i missed that part. Yes that is right. However to check which tuner
was used, check the log.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 10:27:12 +1200, you wrote:

>>> I did delete all tuners etc. via the BE setup prior to issuing the mysql
>>> truncate commands.
>>> I did do the drop database mythconverg; source
>>> /usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql
>>> And that did not help but I may have repeated the original error.
>>>
>>> I agree that your process for a new install is preferable to my
>>> immediate
>>> restore of an old db.I will follow that after I pursue one more lead
>>> that
>>> has shown up.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>
>> If the HDHRs are still not working, you could install Wireshark and
>> capture all the traffic to them from MythTV. That might give us some
>> clues as to what the problem is. And do a separate capture of the
>> traffic when they work using their setup tools or me-tv, for
>> comparison purposes.
>>

>I'm just checking the functionality of my tuners again because it appears
>that in MeTV I get an error if I select /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 on
>both the 12.04 and 16.04 installs.
>These are the MeTV messages:
>
>04/08/16 09:52:26: Not currently displaying 'TV ONE'
>04/08/16 09:52:26: Exception: Failed to get available frontend
>4/08/16 09:51:25: Exception: Frontend read failed
>(/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Value too large for defined data type
>
>Also, I have a bug in 12.04 that won't let me switch sources in live TV
>(HDHR or PCIe card tuners).The system locks up.
>So what I did to check if the Card tuner wasn't half dead was to reduce
>the number of tuners per device to 1 and record 4 programs from the 3
>MUXs.The tuners did all 4 successfully. Therefore I assume the 2 tuners in
>the card are ok as are the 2 in the HDHR.
>Is my logic correct?
>
>Cheers
>-Paul

As Nick said, to be sure you have to check the mythbackend.log versus
the capturecard table cardid numbers to see which tuner numbers were
actually used.

BTW There are now four muxes.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
Also, I have a bug in 12.04 that won't let me switch sources in live TV
(HDHR or PCIe card tuners).The system locks up.
So what I did to check if the Card tuner wasn't half dead was to reduce
the number of tuners per device to 1 and record 4 programs from the 3
MUXs.The tuners did all 4 successfully. Therefore I assume the 2 tuners in
the card are ok as are the 2 in the HDHR.
Is my logic correct?

>> Won't setting the number of tuners (virtual) to 1 force the use of 4
>> hardware tuners to tune 4 programmes?
>
> Sorry i missed that part. Yes that is right. However to check which
> tuner was used, check the log.

Quick question: in Backend Setup > Input Connections > Interactions
Between Inputs,should I create a new input group for each tuner or leave
it as Generic?
I am using only Freeview

Cheers
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 14:58:55 +1200, you wrote:

>Also, I have a bug in 12.04 that won't let me switch sources in live TV
>(HDHR or PCIe card tuners).The system locks up.
>So what I did to check if the Card tuner wasn't half dead was to reduce
>the number of tuners per device to 1 and record 4 programs from the 3
>MUXs.The tuners did all 4 successfully. Therefore I assume the 2 tuners in
>the card are ok as are the 2 in the HDHR.
>Is my logic correct?

>>> Won't setting the number of tuners (virtual) to 1 force the use of 4
>>> hardware tuners to tune 4 programmes?
>>
>> Sorry i missed that part. Yes that is right. However to check which
>> tuner was used, check the log.
>>

>Quick question: in Backend Setup > Input Connections > Interactions
>Between Inputs,should I create a new input group for each tuner or leave
>it as Generic?
>I am using only Freeview
>
>Cheers

Input groups are only needed when there is mutually exclusive use of
hardware, to tell MythTV that two pieces of hardware can not be used
at the same time. The usual example was the tuner cards you used to
get that did DVB-T and analogue but only one or the other and not both
at the same time. But they produced separate tuner devices in Linux
with separate drivers running them. So you had to put each analogue
tuner in the same input group as its counterpart DVB-T tuner. Your
HVR-2200 card is that sort of card, but even then, unless you are
configuring and using the analogue inputs in MythTV, there is no need
to set up input groups for its tuners. The best thing with input
groups is to leave them at their defaults unless you really need to
use them.

If you do need to use input groups, you need to know which analogue
tuner matches which DVB-T tuner, and make sure that the matching
tuners have the same input group, and that input group name is not the
same as any other input group name on any other tuner. The actual
content of the name you choose is irrelevant, but choosing a good name
helps to understand what it is doing when you come back to it later.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
> Input groups are only needed when there is mutually exclusive use of
> hardware, to tell MythTV that two pieces of hardware can not be used
> at the same time. The usual example was the tuner cards you used to
> get that did DVB-T and analogue but only one or the other and not both
> at the same time. But they produced separate tuner devices in Linux
> with separate drivers running them. So you had to put each analogue
> tuner in the same input group as its counterpart DVB-T tuner. Your
> HVR-2200 card is that sort of card, but even then, unless you are
> configuring and using the analogue inputs in MythTV, there is no need
> to set up input groups for its tuners. The best thing with input
> groups is to leave them at their defaults unless you really need to
> use them.
>
> If you do need to use input groups, you need to know which analogue
> tuner matches which DVB-T tuner, and make sure that the matching
> tuners have the same input group, and that input group name is not the
> same as any other input group name on any other tuner. The actual
> content of the name you choose is irrelevant, but choosing a good name
> helps to understand what it is doing when you come back to it later.

I'm re-installed everything and set up the backend manually.I'm still in
the same situation.No tuners will allow viewing or recording.
I've deleted the tuners and set them up again to no avail.
Here is a few lines from backend log

Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
tv_rec.cpp:1073 (HandleStateChange) TVRec[1]: Changing from None to
WatchingLiveTV
Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
tv_rec.cpp:3563 (TuningCheckForHWChange) TVRec[1]: HW Tuner: 1->1
Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
tv_rec.cpp:3685 (TuningFrequency) TVRec[1]: TuningFrequency
Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: E TVRecEvent
dtvmultiplex.cpp:379 (ParseTuningParams) DTVMux: ParseTuningParams --
Unknown tuner type = 0xffffffff80000000
Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: E TVRecEvent
recorders/dtvchannel.cpp:299 (SetChannelByString) DTVChan[1](11111EB6-0):
SetChannelByString(1): Failed to initialize multiplex options

As before the HDHR tuners work fine for the HDHR setup GUI

-Paul

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 15:16:16 +1200, you wrote:

>I'm re-installed everything and set up the backend manually.I'm still in
>the same situation.No tuners will allow viewing or recording.
>I've deleted the tuners and set them up again to no avail.
>Here is a few lines from backend log
>
>Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
>tv_rec.cpp:1073 (HandleStateChange) TVRec[1]: Changing from None to
>WatchingLiveTV
>Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
>tv_rec.cpp:3563 (TuningCheckForHWChange) TVRec[1]: HW Tuner: 1->1
>Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
>tv_rec.cpp:3685 (TuningFrequency) TVRec[1]: TuningFrequency
>Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: E TVRecEvent
>dtvmultiplex.cpp:379 (ParseTuningParams) DTVMux: ParseTuningParams --
>Unknown tuner type = 0xffffffff80000000
>Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: E TVRecEvent
>recorders/dtvchannel.cpp:299 (SetChannelByString) DTVChan[1](11111EB6-0):
>SetChannelByString(1): Failed to initialize multiplex options
>
>As before the HDHR tuners work fine for the HDHR setup GUI
>
>-Paul

OK, you have the same HDHR tuner problem. If you change the LiveTV
order settings so the internal tuners are used first, they will likely
work. So now we need to see what MythTV is doing when it tries to
talk to the HDHRs. Install Wireshark and use it to capture the
Ethernet traffic when MythTV tries to use an HDHR, and also when Me-TV
does (or something that works). Post the capture files.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 16:25:26 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 15:16:16 +1200, you wrote:
>
>> I'm re-installed everything and set up the backend manually.I'm still in
>> the same situation.No tuners will allow viewing or recording.
>> I've deleted the tuners and set them up again to no avail.
>> Here is a few lines from backend log
>>
>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
>> tv_rec.cpp:1073 (HandleStateChange) TVRec[1]: Changing from None to
>> WatchingLiveTV
>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
>> tv_rec.cpp:3563 (TuningCheckForHWChange) TVRec[1]: HW Tuner: 1->1
>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
>> tv_rec.cpp:3685 (TuningFrequency) TVRec[1]: TuningFrequency
>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: E TVRecEvent
>> dtvmultiplex.cpp:379 (ParseTuningParams) DTVMux: ParseTuningParams --
>> Unknown tuner type = 0xffffffff80000000
>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: E TVRecEvent
>> recorders/dtvchannel.cpp:299 (SetChannelByString)
>> DTVChan[1](11111EB6-0):
>> SetChannelByString(1): Failed to initialize multiplex options
>>
>> As before the HDHR tuners work fine for the HDHR setup GUI
>>
>> -Paul
>
> OK, you have the same HDHR tuner problem. If you change the LiveTV
> order settings so the internal tuners are used first, they will likely
> work. So now we need to see what MythTV is doing when it tries to
> talk to the HDHRs. Install Wireshark and use it to capture the
> Ethernet traffic when MythTV tries to use an HDHR, and also when Me-TV
> does (or something that works). Post the capture files.

This must be almost as frustrating for you as for me.Getting an incomplete
view of the problem via email.
Apart from that one instance where everything seemed to work, at no other
time has either the HDHRs or the card tuners worked.I have deleted tuners
and setup only card tuners - they did not work.I have set up only HDHR
tuners and they did not work.Every variation of tuner arrangement, set up
and scanned channels correctly and the channels appeared in the channel
editor.
I am using the exact settings I used for 12.04.
I assume that the fact that the channel scans for the HDHR and tuner card
during setup implies that the tuners are working and communicating with
the myth backend software.Is this not correct?
When setting up the tuners both the HDHR and card tuners appear as options
in the setup so the software has no trouble seeing them.

In an earlier reply you stated:

"first start with an empty database and
>> do the initial setup (including tuners and channels, but not xmltvids
>> and EPG). Then test the setup to make sure all the tuners work and so
>> on. If you want to try that, then you can empty the database and
>> re-create it."

How did you confirm everything was working?

I'll describe my hardware setup.
The mythbox is connected via a network switch to the HDHR and to the
modem/router and I have a Ubuntu PC connected to the modem/router.I do the
setup on the mythbox using Remmina network sharing from the PC.The mythbox
is conected to the internet and I can install software etc with no
problems.

Since I last installed 16.04 I don't seem to be able to use the new mysql
password (mysql -u root -p) to open mysql but the frontend connects to
the database ok.

-Paul

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 16:25:26 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 15:16:16 +1200, you wrote:
>
>> I'm re-installed everything and set up the backend manually.I'm still in
>> the same situation.No tuners will allow viewing or recording.
>> I've deleted the tuners and set them up again to no avail.
>> Here is a few lines from backend log
>>
>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
>> tv_rec.cpp:1073 (HandleStateChange) TVRec[1]: Changing from None to
>> WatchingLiveTV
>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
>> tv_rec.cpp:3563 (TuningCheckForHWChange) TVRec[1]: HW Tuner: 1->1
>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
>> tv_rec.cpp:3685 (TuningFrequency) TVRec[1]: TuningFrequency
>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: E TVRecEvent
>> dtvmultiplex.cpp:379 (ParseTuningParams) DTVMux: ParseTuningParams --
>> Unknown tuner type = 0xffffffff80000000
>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: E TVRecEvent
>> recorders/dtvchannel.cpp:299 (SetChannelByString)DTVChan[1](11111EB6-0):
>> SetChannelByString(1): Failed to initialize multiplex options
>>
>> As before the HDHR tuners work fine for the HDHR setup GUI
>>
>> -Paul
>
> OK, you have the same HDHR tuner problem. If you change the LiveTV
> order settings so the internal tuners are used first, they will likely
> work. So now we need to see what MythTV is doing when it tries to
> talk to the HDHRs. Install Wireshark and use it to capture the
> Ethernet traffic when MythTV tries to use an HDHR, and also when Me-TV
> does (or something that works). Post the capture files.

I think I have found the problem.

Working on the basis that because 12.04 still works and 16.04
doesn't,where,in the procedure I use to switch from one to the other,is it
likely I am introducing the problem (ie A stupid mistake)
So when I switch the system drives I have to change the storage drive
permissions because for some reason they do not stay the same between the
two system drives.

I have been using the command: sudo chown -Rv myth:myth /var/lib/mythtv
when it should be: chown -Rv mythtv:mythtv /var/lib/mythtv
I have been calling up the same erroneous command from bash history in
16.04.In 12.04 I didnot make the mistake in the command.

I made this mistake possible by calling my mythbox "myth"

D'oh!

When I selected a channel to watch live from the guide, I get the
following message in mythbackend log:

Aug 6 10:50:00 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[4101]: I TVRecEvent
tv_rec.cpp:1073 (HandleStateChange) TVRec[1]: Changing from None to
WatchingLiveTV
Aug 6 10:50:00 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[4101]: I TVRecEvent
tv_rec.cpp:3685 (TuningFrequency) TVRec[1]: TuningFrequency
Aug 6 10:50:00 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[4101]: N CoreContext
autoexpire.cpp:264 (CalcParams) AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required
Free Space: 3.0 GB w/freq: 14 min
Aug 6 10:50:00 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[4101]: E TVRecEvent
threadedfilewriter.cpp:129 (Open)
TFW(/var/lib/mythtv/livetv/1003_20160805225000.ts:-1): Opening file
'/var/lib/mythtv/livetv/1003_20160805225000.ts'.#012#011#011#011eno:
Permission denied (13)
Aug 6 10:50:00 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[4101]: E TVRecEvent
tv_rec.cpp:4606 (GetProgramRingBufferForLiveTV) TVRec[1]: RingBuffer
'/var/lib/mythtv/livetv/1003_20160805225000.ts' not open...
Aug 6 10:50:00 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[4101]: E TVRecEvent
tv_rec.cpp:4642 (CreateLiveTVRingBuffer) TVRec[1]:
CreateLiveTVRingBuffer(3) failed

I still can't get access to mysql with the password listed in myth
frontend:

mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

Is there a way around this?
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 16:25:26 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 15:16:16 +1200, you wrote:
>
>> I'm re-installed everything and set up the backend manually.I'm still in
>> the same situation.No tuners will allow viewing or recording.
>> I've deleted the tuners and set them up again to no avail.
>> Here is a few lines from backend log
>>
>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
>> tv_rec.cpp:1073 (HandleStateChange) TVRec[1]: Changing from None to
>> WatchingLiveTV
>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
>> tv_rec.cpp:3563 (TuningCheckForHWChange) TVRec[1]: HW Tuner: 1->1
>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
>> tv_rec.cpp:3685 (TuningFrequency) TVRec[1]: TuningFrequency
>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: E TVRecEvent
>> dtvmultiplex.cpp:379 (ParseTuningParams) DTVMux: ParseTuningParams --
>> Unknown tuner type = 0xffffffff80000000
>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: E TVRecEvent
>> recorders/dtvchannel.cpp:299 (SetChannelByString)
>> DTVChan[1](11111EB6-0):
>> SetChannelByString(1): Failed to initialize multiplex options
>>
>> As before the HDHR tuners work fine for the HDHR setup GUI
>>
>> -Paul
>
> OK, you have the same HDHR tuner problem. If you change the LiveTV
> order settings so the internal tuners are used first, they will likely
> work. So now we need to see what MythTV is doing when it tries to
> talk to the HDHRs. Install Wireshark and use it to capture the
> Ethernet traffic when MythTV tries to use an HDHR, and also when Me-TV
> does (or something that works). Post the capture files.

More info on the mysql possword problem;

I can't access the database with> mysql -u root -p with that password but
I can with> mysql -u mythtv -p

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 16:25:26 +1200, Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 15:16:16 +1200, you wrote:
>>
>> I'm re-installed everything and set up the backend manually.I'm still in
>>> the same situation.No tuners will allow viewing or recording.
>>> I've deleted the tuners and set them up again to no avail.
>>> Here is a few lines from backend log
>>>
>>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
>>> tv_rec.cpp:1073 (HandleStateChange) TVRec[1]: Changing from None to
>>> WatchingLiveTV
>>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
>>> tv_rec.cpp:3563 (TuningCheckForHWChange) TVRec[1]: HW Tuner: 1->1
>>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: I TVRecEvent
>>> tv_rec.cpp:3685 (TuningFrequency) TVRec[1]: TuningFrequency
>>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: E TVRecEvent
>>> dtvmultiplex.cpp:379 (ParseTuningParams) DTVMux: ParseTuningParams --
>>> Unknown tuner type = 0xffffffff80000000
>>> Aug 5 15:03:48 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[2583]: E TVRecEvent
>>> recorders/dtvchannel.cpp:299 (SetChannelByString) DTVChan[1](11111EB6-0):
>>> SetChannelByString(1): Failed to initialize multiplex options
>>>
>>> As before the HDHR tuners work fine for the HDHR setup GUI
>>>
>>> -Paul
>>>

>> OK, you have the same HDHR tuner problem. If you change the LiveTV
>> order settings so the internal tuners are used first, they will likely
>> work. So now we need to see what MythTV is doing when it tries to
>> talk to the HDHRs. Install Wireshark and use it to capture the
>> Ethernet traffic when MythTV tries to use an HDHR, and also when Me-TV
>> does (or something that works). Post the capture files.
>>
>> More info on the mysql possword problem;
>
> I can't access the database with> mysql -u root -p with that password but
> I can with> mysql -u mythtv -p

root has a different password than mythtv. You set the root password when
mysql-server was installed.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 16:25:26 +1200, Stephen Worthington <
>> stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 15:16:16 +1200, you wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm re-installed everything and set up the backend manually.I'm still in

>>> OK, you have the same HDHR tuner problem. If you change the LiveTV
>>> order settings so the internal tuners are used first, they will likely
>>> work. So now we need to see what MythTV is doing when it tries to
>>> talk to the HDHRs. Install Wireshark and use it to capture the
>>> Ethernet traffic when MythTV tries to use an HDHR, and also when Me-TV
>>> does (or something that works). Post the capture files.
>>>
>>> More info on the mysql possword problem;
>>
>> I can't access the database with> mysql -u root -p with that password but
>> I can with> mysql -u mythtv -p
>>

> root has a different password than mythtv. You set the root password when
> mysql-server was installed.

You can reset it with sudo dpkg-reconfigure mysql-server-versionnumber

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
>>> More info on the mysql possword problem;
>>>
>>> I can't access the database with> mysql -u root -p with that password
>>> but I can with> mysql -u mythtv -p
>>>

>> root has a different password than mythtv. You set the root password
>> when mysql-server was installed.
>>
>> You can reset it with sudo dpkg-reconfigure mysql-server-versionnumber

Will do.
Cheers
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 06 Aug 2016 13:15:35 +1200
> >> root has a different password than mythtv. You set the root password
> >> when mysql-server was installed.
> >> You can reset it with sudo dpkg-reconfigure mysql-server-versionnumber

There is also a 'back-door' way in, at least on Debian-derived distros:
sudo mysql --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf
Will start up MySQL as the system maintenance user.
Then you can do all the password resetting stuff:
use mysql;
update user set password = password('beetroot') where user = 'root';
commit;
grant all privileges on *.* to 'root'@'localhost' identified by 'beetroot' with grant option;
flush privileges;
quit
Then you should be OK to log in as MySQL root, after which you can do anything.
mysql -u root -p mysql

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 06 Aug 2016 15:00:35 +1200, Austin Green
<austin.green@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

>> password
>> mysql-server-versionnumber
>
> There is also a 'back-door' way in, at least on Debian-derived distros:
> sudo mysql --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf
> Will start up MySQL as the system maintenance user.
> Then you can do all the password resetting stuff:
> use mysql;
> update user set password = password('beetroot') where user = 'root';
> commit;
> grant all privileges on *.* to 'root'@'localhost' identified by
> 'beetroot' with grant option;
> flush privileges;
> quit
> Then you should be OK to log in as MySQL root, after which you can do
> anything.
> mysql -u root -p mysql

Thanks.I'll make a note of that for the future.

Cheers

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 06 Aug 2016 16:46:14 +1200, you wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Aug 2016 15:00:35 +1200, Austin Green
><austin.green@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

>>> password
>>> mysql-server-versionnumber
>>
>> There is also a 'back-door' way in, at least on Debian-derived distros:
>> sudo mysql --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf
>> Will start up MySQL as the system maintenance user.
>> Then you can do all the password resetting stuff:
>> use mysql;
>> update user set password = password('beetroot') where user = 'root';
>> commit;
>> grant all privileges on *.* to 'root'@'localhost' identified by
>> 'beetroot' with grant option;
>> flush privileges;
>> quit
>> Then you should be OK to log in as MySQL root, after which you can do
>> anything.
>> mysql -u root -p mysql
>
>Thanks.I'll make a note of that for the future.
>
>Cheers

Another trick to note down - if you are testing your tuners and the
first one will not work, LiveTV is useless (until you change the
livetvorder settings). But you can still use manual recording rules
to test with. Recording rules have an option under Schedule Options
where it normally says "Use any available tuner". You can set that to
specify a multirec tuner number as the preferred input, and unless you
have two rules clashing for the use of that number, that will then be
the tuner that gets used. Manual recording rules can only be set to
run on five minute boundaries, but if the next five minute boundary is
too far away for you to want to wait that long, you can change the
"Start recording on time" option to start as many minutes early as you
need to get the recording to start on the next minute boundary.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
I think I have found the problem.

> Working on the basis that because 12.04 still works and 16.04
> doesn't,where,in the procedure I use to switch from one to the >other,is
> it likely I am introducing the problem (ie A stupid mistake)
> So when I switch the system drives I have to change the storage drive
> permissions because for some reason they do not stay the same >between
> the two system drives.
>
> I have been using the command: sudo chown -Rv myth:myth /var/lib/mythtv
> when it should be: chown -Rv mythtv:mythtv /var/lib/mythtv
> I have been calling up the same erroneous command from bash history in
> 16.04.In 12.04 I didnot make the mistake in the command.
>
> I made this mistake possible by calling my mythbox "myth"
>
> D'oh!
>
> When I selected a channel to watch live from the guide, I get the
> following message in mythbackend log:
>
> Aug 6 10:50:00 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[4101]: I TVRecEvent
> tv_rec.cpp:1073 (HandleStateChange) TVRec[1]: Changing from None to
> >WatchingLiveTV
> Aug 6 10:50:00 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[4101]: I TVRecEvent
> tv_rec.cpp:3685 (TuningFrequency) TVRec[1]: TuningFrequency
> Aug 6 10:50:00 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[4101]: N CoreContext
> autoexpire.cpp:264 (CalcParams) AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max >required
> Free Space: 3.0 GB w/freq: 14 min
> Aug 6 10:50:00 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[4101]: E TVRecEvent
> threadedfilewriter.cpp:129 (Open)
> TFW(/var/lib/mythtv/>livetv/1003_20160805225000.ts:-1): Opening file
> '/var/lib/mythtv/livetv/1003_20160805225000.ts'.#012#011#011#011eno:
> Permission >denied (13)
> Aug 6 10:50:00 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[4101]: E TVRecEvent
> tv_rec.cpp:4606 (GetProgramRingBufferForLiveTV) TVRec[1]: >RingBuffer
> '/var/lib/mythtv/livetv/1003_20160805225000.ts' not open...
> Aug 6 10:50:00 myth mythbackend: mythbackend[4101]: E TVRecEvent
> tv_rec.cpp:4642 (CreateLiveTVRingBuffer) TVRec[1]:
> >CreateLiveTVRingBuffer(3) failed

I took a few days away from this thing.
It seems I was wrong about the cause of the problem.I did make the mistake
described above but it was not the cause of the continuing problem with
the tuners.
To recap, I can install the Card and HDHR tuners in backend setup ,scan
channels and populate the channel editor but I can't watch live TV or
record.The card works ok with MeTV.
To simplify things I am only doing the internal HVR 2200 tuners.I haven't
installed the HDHR yet.I get the following message in backend log at boot:

Aug 11 11:14:24 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[2549]: W CoreContext
recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:245 (Open)
DVBChan[1](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Opening DVB frontend device
failed.#012#011#011#011eno: No such file or directory (2)
Aug 11 11:14:24 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[2549]: E CoreContext
recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:250 (Open)
DVBChan[1](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Failed to open DVB frontend
device due to fatal error or too many attempts.
Aug 11 11:14:24 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[2549]: E CoreContext
recorders/channelbase.cpp:870 (CreateChannel) ChannelBase: CreateChannel()
Error: Failed to open device /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
Aug 11 11:14:24 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[2549]: E CoreContext
main_helpers.cpp:202 (setupTVs) Problem with capture cards. Card 1 failed
init
Aug 11 11:14:24 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[2549]: W CoreContext
recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:245 (Open)
DVBChan[2](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Opening DVB frontend device
failed.#012#011#011#011eno: No such file or directory (2)
Aug 11 11:14:24 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[2549]: E CoreContext
recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:250 (Open)
DVBChan[2](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Failed to open DVB frontend
device due to fatal error or too many attempts.
Aug 11 11:14:24 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[2549]: E CoreContext
recorders/channelbase.cpp:870 (CreateChannel) ChannelBase: CreateChannel()
Error: Failed to open device /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
Aug 11 11:14:24 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[2549]: E CoreContext
main_helpers.cpp:202 (setupTVs) Problem with capture cards. Card 2 failed
init
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 11:35:38 +1200, you wrote:

> [...]
>init
>Aug 11 11:14:24 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[2549]: W CoreContext
>recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:245 (Open)
>DVBChan[2](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Opening DVB frontend device
>failed.#012#011#011#011eno: No such file or directory (2)
>Aug 11 11:14:24 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[2549]: E CoreContext
>recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:250 (Open)
>DVBChan[2](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Failed to open DVB frontend
>device due to fatal error or too many attempts.
>Aug 11 11:14:24 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[2549]: E CoreContext
>recorders/channelbase.cpp:870 (CreateChannel) ChannelBase: CreateChannel()
>Error: Failed to open device /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
>Aug 11 11:14:24 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[2549]: E CoreContext
>main_helpers.cpp:202 (setupTVs) Problem with capture cards. Card 2 failed

Mythbackend seems to be saying it can not see
/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0. But presumably mythtv-setup can see the
device, or it could not scan for channels. Does
/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 show up if you look for it with the ll or
ls commands? What do these commands show:

ll /dev/dvb
ll /dev/dvb/adapter0
ll /dev/dvb/adapter1

What permissions does mythbackend have? What does this command show:

ps -ef | grep myth

That should show how mythbackend is being run (in particular, as which
user).

There is also one obvious problem in that log snippet. Both Card 1
and Card 2 are referencing adapter0/frontend0. I do not know how the
HVR-2200 does its devices, but there should be either two completely
separate devices /dev/dvb/adapter0 and /dev/dvb/adapter1 or one device
with two frontends, /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 and
/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend1. Both Card1 and Card2 should not be using
the same frontend device /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0.

Also, check that the firmware for the card is installed (see
https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-2200). Does
it show up in the logs as being loaded? There are some cards that
will do a channel scan but will not record without the firmware. But I
would have expected it to fail in Me-TV if that was the case.

How does Me-TV run? Is it running when mythbackend tries to access
the devices? If so, it could own the devices and not be allowing
mythbackend access. Is there any other TV software installed that
could be using the devices?

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
> Mythbackend seems to be saying it can not see
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0. But presumably mythtv-setup can see the
> device, or it could not scan for channels. Does
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 show up if you look for it with the ll or
> ls commands? What do these commands show:
>
> ll /dev/dvb
> ll /dev/dvb/adapter0
> ll /dev/dvb/adapter1
>
> What permissions does mythbackend have? What does this command show:
>
> ps -ef | grep myth
>
> That should show how mythbackend is being run (in particular, as which
> user).
>
> There is also one obvious problem in that log snippet. Both Card 1
> and Card 2 are referencing adapter0/frontend0. I do not know how the
> HVR-2200 does its devices, but there should be either two completely
> separate devices /dev/dvb/adapter0 and /dev/dvb/adapter1 or one device
> with two frontends, /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 and
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend1. Both Card1 and Card2 should not be using
> the same frontend device /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0.
>
> Also, check that the firmware for the card is installed (see
> https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-2200). Does
> it show up in the logs as being loaded? There are some cards that
> will do a channel scan but will not record without the firmware. But I
> would have expected it to fail in Me-TV if that was the case.
>
> How does Me-TV run? Is it running when mythbackend tries to access
> the devices? If so, it could own the devices and not be allowing
> mythbackend access. Is there any other TV software installed that
> could be using the devices?

Firmware is installed as per the wiki.
The log snippet was recorded prior to MeTV installation (this time).So I
did extensive testing without MeTV installed.
I have a complete backend.log from a restart onwards that you can look
at:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5RRWPLTmilhN3Bta2xmQWEwQU0

One thing I haven't mentioned much is that 16.04 is on a SSD and 12.04 is
on a slow HDD.I saw mention online that problems have been seen if
mythbackend starts before the capture cards can initialise.So far none of
the fixes I have found work for this install.

~$ ll /dev/dvb
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 80 Aug 11 13:57 ./
drwxr-xr-x 22 root root 4580 Aug 11 13:57 ../
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Aug 11 13:57 adapter0/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Aug 11 13:57 adapter1/

~$ ll /dev/dvb/adapter1
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Aug 11 13:57 ./
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 80 Aug 11 13:57 ../
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 5 Aug 11 13:57 demux0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 6 Aug 11 13:57 dvr0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 4 Aug 11 13:57 frontend0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 7 Aug 11 13:57 net0

~$ ll /dev/dvb/adapter0
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Aug 11 13:57 ./
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 80 Aug 11 13:57 ../
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 1 Aug 11 13:57 demux0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 2 Aug 11 13:57 dvr0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 0 Aug 11 13:57 frontend0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 3 Aug 11 13:57 net0

~$ ps -ef | grep myth
avahi 1971 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 avahi-daemon: running [mythpc.local]
mythpc 2397 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 /lib/systemd/systemd --user
mythpc 2398 2397 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 (sd-pam)
mythpc 2402 2391 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc --
/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
mythpc 2448 2402 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent
/usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/share/mythbuntu/session.sh
mythpc 2451 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session
/usr/share/mythbuntu/session.sh
mythpc 2452 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5
--print-address 7 --session
mythpc 2464 2402 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 xfce4-session
mythpc 2468 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xfce4/xfconf/xfconfd
mythpc 2472 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 gnome-keyring-daemon --start
mythpc 2477 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 xfwm4
mythpc 2479 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:01 xfce4-panel
mythpc 2481 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:05 Thunar --daemon
mythpc 2483 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 xfdesktop
mythpc 2488 2464 2 13:57 ? 00:01:03 /usr/lib/vino/vino-server --sm-disable
mythpc 2492 2464 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 update-notifier
mythpc 2493 2464 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00
/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1
mythpc 2495 2464 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 xscreensaver -no-splash
mythpc 2505 2464 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 nm-applet
mythpc 2508 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 xfce4-volumed
mythpc 2512 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start
--log-target=syslog
mythpc 2518 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 xfsettingsd
mythtv 2521 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:03 /usr/bin/mythbackend --quiet --syslog
local7
mythpc 2559 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd
mythpc 2575 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/at-spi2-core/at-spi-bus-launcher
mythpc 2581 2575 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon
--config-file=/etc/at-spi2/accessibility.conf --nofork --print-address 3
mythpc 2584 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/at-spi2-core/at-spi2-registryd
--use-gnome-session
mythpc 2606 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor
mythpc 2610 2479 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xfce4/panel/wrapper-1.0
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xfce4/panel/plugins/libsystray.so 4 12582955
systray Notification Area Area where notification icons appear
mythpc 2703 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/notify-osd
mythpc 3095 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-metadata
mythpc 3099 1 0 13:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-trash --spawner :1.13
/org/gtk/gvfs/exec_spaw/0
mythpc 3113 1 0 13:58 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/dconf/dconf-service
mythpc 3601 1 0 14:27 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gconf/gconfd-2
mythpc 3857 2479 0 14:39 ? 00:00:01 xfce4-terminal
mythpc 3861 3857 0 14:39 ? 00:00:00 gnome-pty-helper
mythpc 3862 3857 0 14:39 pts/0 00:00:00 bash
mythpc 3929 3862 0 14:43 pts/0 00:00:00 ps -ef
mythpc 3930 3862 0 14:43 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto myt
Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]

> There is also one obvious problem in that log snippet. Both Card 1
> and Card 2 are referencing adapter0/frontend0. I do not know how the
> HVR-2200 does its devices, but there should be either two completely
> separate devices /dev/dvb/adapter0 and /dev/dvb/adapter1 or one device
> with two frontends, /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 and
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend1. Both Card1 and Card2 should not be using
> the same frontend device /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0.

I have named the tuners card-0 and card-1 in capture card setup

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]

> There is also one obvious problem in that log snippet. Both Card 1
> and Card 2 are referencing adapter0/frontend0. I do not know how the
> HVR-2200 does its devices, but there should be either two completely
> separate devices /dev/dvb/adapter0 and /dev/dvb/adapter1 or one device
> with two frontends, /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 and
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend1. Both Card1 and Card2 should not be using
> the same frontend device /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0.

The tuners are referred to as /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 and
/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0
Same as in the 12.04 install

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 15:23:16 +1200, you wrote:

>> There is also one obvious problem in that log snippet. Both Card 1
>> and Card 2 are referencing adapter0/frontend0. I do not know how the
>> HVR-2200 does its devices, but there should be either two completely
>> separate devices /dev/dvb/adapter0 and /dev/dvb/adapter1 or one device
>> with two frontends, /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 and
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend1. Both Card1 and Card2 should not be using
>> the same frontend device /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0.
>>
>The tuners are referred to as /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 and
>/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0
>Same as in the 12.04 install

Yes, the device setup seems fine. I was mixing up the multirec card
numbers with the physical card numbers. Your full log makes it clear
that there are two multirec tuners per physical tuner and they seem
assigned correctly.

The idea that the tuners are not ready when mythbackend starts is
quite plausible when booting from an SSD. Systemd makes the startup
faster too, and the tuners take a while to load their firmware.
Fortunately, it is easy just to restart mythbackend once booting is
complete and mythfrontend is running. If the tuners work then, that
race condition is the problem and you will need to adjust the systemd
rules for mythbackend startup so that it waits for the tuner devices.
Take a look at this page for suggestions about how to do it:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Systemd_mythbackend_Configuration

In Mythbuntu 16.04, if you want to make any changes to the systemd
mythtv-backend.service file, you can apparently just use "override
files". See here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SystemdForUpstartUsers

I have not tried that yet, so I do not know how well it works.

If override files do not work, or the changes are too great, you need
to copy mythtv-backend.service from /lib/systemd/system to
/etc/systemd/system and modify it there. And when mythbackend gets
updated, you need to check if there were any changes in the
/lib/systemd/system version of the file that need to also be done in
the /etc/systemd/system copy.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 21:18:33 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 15:23:16 +1200, you wrote:
>

>>> There is also one obvious problem in that log snippet. Both Card 1
>>> and Card 2 are referencing adapter0/frontend0. I do not know how the
>>> HVR-2200 does its devices, but there should be either two completely
>>> separate devices /dev/dvb/adapter0 and /dev/dvb/adapter1 or one device
>>> with two frontends, /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 and
>>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend1. Both Card1 and Card2 should not be using
>>> the same frontend device /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0.
>>>
>> The tuners are referred to as /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 and
>> /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0
>> Same as in the 12.04 install
>
> Yes, the device setup seems fine. I was mixing up the multirec card
> numbers with the physical card numbers. Your full log makes it clear
> that there are two multirec tuners per physical tuner and they seem
> assigned correctly.
>
> The idea that the tuners are not ready when mythbackend starts is
> quite plausible when booting from an SSD. Systemd makes the startup
> faster too, and the tuners take a while to load their firmware.
> Fortunately, it is easy just to restart mythbackend once booting is
> complete and mythfrontend is running. If the tuners work then, that
> race condition is the problem and you will need to adjust the systemd
> rules for mythbackend startup so that it waits for the tuner devices.
> Take a look at this page for suggestions about how to do it:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Systemd_mythbackend_Configuration
>
> In Mythbuntu 16.04, if you want to make any changes to the systemd
> mythtv-backend.service file, you can apparently just use "override
> files". See here:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SystemdForUpstartUsers
>
> I have not tried that yet, so I do not know how well it works.
>
> If override files do not work, or the changes are too great, you need
> to copy mythtv-backend.service from /lib/systemd/system to
> /etc/systemd/system and modify it there. And when mythbackend gets
> updated, you need to check if there were any changes in the
> /lib/systemd/system version of the file that need to also be done in
> the /etc/systemd/system copy.

Restarting mythbackend never corrects the problem,so I doubt that is the
cause.

Re: New install setup - recording problem [ In reply to ]
> Yes, the device setup seems fine. I was mixing up the multirec card
> numbers with the physical card numbers. Your full log makes it clear
> that there are two multirec tuners per physical tuner and they seem
> assigned correctly.
>
> The idea that the tuners are not ready when mythbackend starts is
> quite plausible when booting from an SSD. Systemd makes the startup
> faster too, and the tuners take a while to load their firmware.
> Fortunately, it is easy just to restart mythbackend once booting is
> complete and mythfrontend is running. If the tuners work then, that
> race condition is the problem and you will need to adjust the systemd
> rules for mythbackend startup so that it waits for the tuner devices.
> Take a look at this page for suggestions about how to do it:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Systemd_mythbackend_Configuration
>
> In Mythbuntu 16.04, if you want to make any changes to the systemd
> mythtv-backend.service file, you can apparently just use "override
> files". See here:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SystemdForUpstartUsers
>
> I have not tried that yet, so I do not know how well it works.
>
> If override files do not work, or the changes are too great, you need
> to copy mythtv-backend.service from /lib/systemd/system to
> /etc/systemd/system and modify it there. And when mythbackend gets
> updated, you need to check if there were any changes in the
> /lib/systemd/system version of the file that need to also be done in
> the /etc/systemd/system copy.

I'll correct my last statement.I had stopped and started mythbackend via
the GUI many times and did not see a change in the tuner status.
I just stopped and started mythbackend via cli and the status in
mythfrontend info changed from "tuner x has an error" to "tuner x is not
recording".
Mythbackend.log looks like this:

Aug 12 09:14:40 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3130]: N CoreContext
main_helpers.cpp:597 (run_backend) MythBackend: Starting up as the master
server.
Aug 12 09:14:40 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3130]: I LogForward
loggingserver.cpp:295 (SyslogLogger) Added syslogging
Aug 12 09:14:47 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3130]: I CoreContext
recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
DVBChan[1](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
Aug 12 09:14:51 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3130]: I CoreContext
recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
DVBChan[3](/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
Aug 12 09:14:52 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3130]: W CoreContext
scheduler.cpp:214 (VerifyCards) Scheduler: Listings source '' is defined,
but is not attached to a card input.
Aug 12 09:14:52 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3130]: I CoreContext
programinfo.cpp:2368 (CheckProgramIDAuthorities) Found 1 distinct
programid authorities

I don't have an .xmltv config file at the moment so I was unable to check
the actual tuning of stations.

I think we may be getting somewhere.
Modifying Systemd_mythbackend_Configuration looks daunting.