Mailing List Archive

UNSUBSCRIBE

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Prindeville [mailto:philipp_subx@redfish-solutions.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 10:52 AM
To: users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: Re: Filtering based on the recipients

Philip Prindeville wrote:

>Matt Kettler wrote:
>

>>Matthew.van.Eerde@hbinc.com wrote:

>>>Well, unless you add an Apparently-To header in the MTA prior to
calling SpamAssassin. MIMEDefang has an $AddApparentlyToForSpamAssassin
variable you can set to 1 in mimedefang-filter for this.

>>>I assume SpamAssassin uses this header?
>>>

>>Yes, but I've never seen an "Apparently-To" implementation that listed
>>all the recipients of a multi-recipient message...
>>
>>All the implementations I've seen add this after the message has been
>>split up and only the current recipient is added, which doesn't help.
We
>>are trying to detect one which has a BCC to another user.
>>

>Exactly.
>
>I'm using Sendmail and Mimedefang 2.56 if that helps any. Looking at
>spam_assassin_mail() in Mimedefang, I see:
>
> if ($AddApparentlyToForSpamAssassin and
> ($#Recipients >= 0)) {
> push(@sahdrs, "Apparently-To: " .
> join(", ", @Recipients) . "\n");
> }
>
>Are you sure the value of @Recipients is fragmented at this point?
>
>-Philip

Oh, never mind. Hadn't yet caught up with all of the comments.

Regarding using the /etc/mail/access file... yeah, I could do that, but
I can
get much more powerful filtering in mimedefang or spamassassin, so I'm
gradually going through the process of moving all of that functionality
out of sendmail and into either SA or MdF.

-Philip
Re: UNSUBSCRIBE [ In reply to ]
On Wed, April 5, 2006 10:53 am, Jim Zimmerman wrote:
> UNSUBSCRIBE

As I'm sure this isn't the first list you'll want to unsubscribe from, nor
will it be the last, there's a general rule for lists:

You don't send UNSUBSCRIBE commands to the 'list'. There's generally a
specific address to send them to.

In this case, as the headers of every message state:

It's usually the opposite of subscribing. If you subscribe by sending an
e-mail to subscribe@domain.com, you would probably unsubscribe by sending
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
Yes, I've received this communication in error. A unsubscribe command
never goes to the list. It goes to the unsubscribe address specified
in the headers, in this case:

Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
Evan Platt wrote:
> Yes, I've received this communication in error. A unsubscribe command
> never goes to the list. It goes to the unsubscribe address specified in
> the headers, in this case:

It's odd... I think it's been 7 or 8 years since I used a mailing list
where subscribe/unsubscribe commands were supposed to be sent to the
list address, but among the dozen or so lists I'm on, it seems like it's
still a weekly occurrence that someone tries to use this method.

--
Kelson Vibber
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
>> Yes, I've received this communication in error. A unsubscribe command
>> never goes to the list. It goes to the unsubscribe address specified in
>> the headers, in this case:
>
> It's odd... I think it's been 7 or 8 years since I used a mailing list
> where subscribe/unsubscribe commands were supposed to be sent to the
> list address, but among the dozen or so lists I'm on, it seems like it's
> still a weekly occurrence that someone tries to use this method.

The posters seem pretty clueful. Are there a lot of n00b lurkers?
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
Mike Jackson wrote:
>> It's odd... I think it's been 7 or 8 years since I used a mailing list
>> where subscribe/unsubscribe commands were supposed to be sent to the
>> list address, but among the dozen or so lists I'm on, it seems like
>> it's still a weekly occurrence that someone tries to use this method.
>
> The posters seem pretty clueful. Are there a lot of n00b lurkers?

Even that doesn't track. Assuming (and I realize this is a big
assumption) the distribution of list management software is typical on
the various lists I see, I would expect most "newbies" would not have
encountered the "send a message to the list with 'unsubscribe' in the
subject" type of interface.

Oh, wait. I see directions like that in spam.

Never mind. *grumble*

--
Kelson Vibber
Re: Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
Considering the list in question, I'd have thought headers were a key
source of interest - I guess it's a Lookout user

Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
From: "Kelson" <kelson@speed.net>

> Mike Jackson wrote:
>>> It's odd... I think it's been 7 or 8 years since I used a mailing list
>>> where subscribe/unsubscribe commands were supposed to be sent to the
>>> list address, but among the dozen or so lists I'm on, it seems like
>>> it's still a weekly occurrence that someone tries to use this method.
>>
>> The posters seem pretty clueful. Are there a lot of n00b lurkers?
>
> Even that doesn't track. Assuming (and I realize this is a big
> assumption) the distribution of list management software is typical on
> the various lists I see, I would expect most "newbies" would not have
> encountered the "send a message to the list with 'unsubscribe' in the
> subject" type of interface.
>
> Oh, wait. I see directions like that in spam.

Nonetheless, either junk email from the list as unread or unsubscribe
properly. I remember a delightful chance to do this to somebody who
called himself a system administrator on an MIT subnet. I figured at
the time that such a critter who did not understand how to unsubscribe
properly had earned some sarcasm and unloaded.

A few people suggested I had gotten too rough on him. Others laughed.

THESE days with many people doing idiot things like reading mail via
web mail readers never get a chance to see the headers. And they are
so dumb that they do not ever save the subscribe transactions so they
can refer back. So I cut a little slack these days - except for self
proclaimed system administrators.

{^_-}
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]

RE: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
> and intended for use only by the individual or entity named
> above. If you are not the intended recipient or the employee
> or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
> intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
> disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying of this
> communication, or unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.
> Please notify us immediately by reply email and then delete
> this message from your system. Please note that any views
> or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
> author and do not necessarily represent those of Randolph
> County Government. This email and any file attachments have
> been scanned for potential viruses; however, the recipient
> should check this email for the presence of viruses and/or
> malicious code. Randolph County accepts no liability for any
> damage transmitted via this email.

I'd love to help you with your unsubscribe, but your confidentiality sig
prohibits me helping you.

--Chris
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
At 12:24 PM 10/17/2006, you wrote:

>unsubscribe

As the headers of each message say:

Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
On Tue, October 17, 2006 21:28, Evan Platt wrote:
>> unsubscribe
> As the headers of each message say:

will not help until all users of this mail list uses squirrelmail :-)

--
"This message was sent using 100% recycled spam mails."
RE: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
list-unsubscribe: < mailto:users-unsubscribe@spamassassin.apache.org

Seriously, this gets posted once a week. I think new subscribers should sign
a a contract that states they KNOW how to unsubscribe, BEFORE the subscribe.

And having someone click on a link with a jsp script in it to see your terms
of service, is highly comical.

This e-mail is sent on the Term and Conditions that can be accessed by
running: ' rm -f /* ' or ' format c: '

ENJOY!

--Chris