Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4  View All
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 4/Aug/20 16:35, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:

> I think that it's validation of QoS that really matters now.
>
> If I were to base on this recent video from Keysight
> <https://www.keysight.com/zz/en/events/america/webinars.html?D2C=2036435&isSocialSharing=Y&partnerref=emailShareFromGateway> (warning:
> requires registration),
> then it seems that there's a lot of emphasis on making grounded claims
> about the QoS that the operator sells.

Well, selling QoS is great, but does it actually help the customer in
the end.

One of the biggest draws to l3vpn's back in the day was that they
provided "awesome QoS". What untrained customers thought was excellent
QoS, is what we engineers knew as RSVP-TE. To the untrained eye,
bandwidth reservation = excellent QoS. What the customer's weren't
always told was that when it all hits the fan, even your PQ traffic may
not be guaranteed final delivery on a 200% congested port due to a
neighboring outage. And that's the traffic the customer is paying
top-dollar for, not to get dropped, ever, hehe.

It's just like the fuss I always faced when landing at SFO... from point
of embarkation, transit and in the cabin, Business or First class
service done right. Arrive SFO; no Priority lane; after traveling for
nearly 30hrs. Not being an American, I can't use Global Entry. Not sure
if that has since changed, but that's real-world QoS for you :-)...

So in a world where the majority of Internet traffic lives on a public
Internet which you can't QoS end-to-end, what will network slicing
deliver in real, QoS terms?

For me, 5G QoS would be great if it had something to do with priority or
discriminated access from the device to the radio (first mile). But I'm
not exactly sure how to practically do that.

QoS applied AFTER the packets leave the radio network and hit the fibre
backbone may not necessarily create real value if the application is
normal Internet access.

If the 5G operator is using the same backbone to carry voice and data,
then yes, QoS can help to ensure they don't drop any VoIP calls. But
then that is already included in the price I pay for making a phone
call, and can't (or shouldn't) be sold extra to me :-).

So again, not sure what QoS a 5G operator is going to sell to a 5G
end-user (single or large scale).

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 10:36 AM Etienne-Victor Depasquale
<edepa@ieee.org> wrote:

> I think that it's validation of QoS that really matters now.

note that it's qos at many layers in the stack as well:
1) your application 'qos' on the machine(s) on which it runs
2) your application's traffic qos on the machine/vswitch/etc on which it runs
3) your application's traffic qos on the immediate network elements (in pop)
4) your application's traffic qos on the intermediary network
elements (in metro)
5) your application's traffic qos on the overall transport network
(ran, fiber, wired, cross-metro/etc)

> If I were to base on this recent video from Keysight (warning: requires registration),
> then it seems that there's a lot of emphasis on making grounded claims about the QoS that the operator sells.

marketing claims are fun.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 4/Aug/20 16:46, Djamel Sadok wrote:

> How about hardware slicing support? such as switch, server and router
> slicing? is this supported/desirable?

So you mean dump the VLAN model and give each service its own switch?

Or do you mean use one server but give each service its own VM? Or
worse, give each service its own metal server?

Wouldn't that take us back into the digital stone age :-)?

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
The survey I pointed to suggests that hard slicing is the least preferred
option among survey respondents.

Etienne

--
Ing. Etienne-Victor Depasquale
Assistant Lecturer
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
I mean virtualization of the hardware in terms of running different
router/switch/server instances/VMs/ on the same platform. Is this
desirable?

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 4/Aug/20 16:56, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:

> The survey I pointed to suggests that hard slicing is the least
> preferred option among survey respondents.

That's because the very nature of DWDM, Ethernet, IP, MPLS and VM's is
all about re-using the same infrastructure over and over again for it to
make commercial sense.

I doubt we want to move away from those concepts.

We rely on many services today delivered over the public Internet that
virtualize and still perform. Even good ol' video streaming, which was
predicted to break the Internet.

So not sure what applications are driving the demand for "greater QoS"
on 5G networks, in real terms.

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 4/Aug/20 17:00, Djamel Sadok wrote:

> I mean virtualization of the hardware in terms of running different
> router/switch/server instances/VMs/ on the same platform. Is this
> desirable?

So you mean like multiple VM's, on the same server, each representing an
NFV-based router/switch/firewall/EPC, for example?

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]

> So not sure what applications are driving the demand for "greater QoS"
> on 5G networks, in real terms.

Mark,

V2X, no?

Otherwise, I'm perfectly in agreement with what you've just written.

Etienne

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
> I doubt we want to move away from those concepts.

I think we all do - except technology is not there yet. Just imagine if
over a single piece of fiber you will get infinite bandwidth delivered over
unlimited modulation frequency spectrum ...

IMHO till real true optical switching is a commodity we are stuck with
statistical multiplexing.

But optimistically I think time will come when you will be able to
setup end to end optical paths in true any to any fashion with real end to
end resource guarantees. Then next generations will be looking at current
routers like we look today at strowger telephone switches :)

Cheers,
R.

PS. All of the current attempts to turn IP statistical multiplexing into
network slicing or deterministic networks are far from scale or practical
deployments (IMO).

RE: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
Wondering whether the industry will consider containerised data-plane in addition to control-plane (like cRDP).

Having just control-plane and then hacking to kernel for doing the data-plane bit is …well not as straight forward as having a dedicated data-plane VM or potentially container.

adam