Mailing List Archive

Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?
Hi folks,

Over the past few weeks, I've attended webinars and watched videos
organized by Intel.
These activities have centred on 5G and examined applications (like "visual
cloud" and "gaming"),
as well as segment-oriented aspects (like edge networks, 5G RAN and 5G
Core).

I am stunned (no hyperbole) by the emphasis on Kubernetes in particular,
and cloud-native computing in general.
Equally stunning (for me), public telecommunications networks have been
portrayed
as having a history that moved from integrated software and hardware,
to virtualization and now to cloud-native computing.
See, for example Alex Quach, here
<https://www.telecomtv.com/content/intel-vsummit-5g-ran-5g-core/the-5g-core-is-vital-to-deliver-the-promise-of-5g-39164/>
@10:30).
I reason that Intel's implication is that virtualization is becoming
obsolete.

Would anyone care to let me know his thoughts on this prediction?

Cheers all,

Etienne

--
Ing. Etienne-Victor Depasquale
Assistant Lecturer
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 1/Aug/20 11:23, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:
> Over the past few weeks, I've attended webinars and watched videos
> organized by Intel.
> These activities have centred on 5G and examined applications (like
> "visual cloud" and "gaming"),
> as well as segment-oriented aspects (like edge networks, 5G RAN and 5G
> Core).
>
> I am stunned (no hyperbole) by the emphasis on Kubernetes in particular,
> and cloud-native computing in general.
> Equally stunning (for me), public telecommunications networks have
> been portrayed
> as having a history that moved from integrated software and hardware,
> to virtualization and now to cloud-native computing.
> See, for example Alex Quach, here
> <https://www.telecomtv.com/content/intel-vsummit-5g-ran-5g-core/the-5g-core-is-vital-to-deliver-the-promise-of-5g-39164/> @10:30).
> I reason that Intel's implication is that virtualization is becoming
> obsolete.
>
> Would anyone care to let me know his thoughts on this prediction?

In the early dawn of SDN, where it was cool to have the RP's in Beirut
and the line cards in Lagos, the industry quickly realized that was not
entirely feasible.

If you are looking at over-the-top services, so-called cloud-native
computing makes sense in order to deliver that value accordingly, and
with agility. But as it pertains to actual network transport, I'm not
yet sure the industry is at the stage where we are confident enough to
decompose packet forwarding through a cloud.

Network operators are more likely to keep using kit that integrates
forwarding hardware as well as a NOS, as no amount of cloud architecting
is going to rival a 100Gbps purpose-built port, for example.

Suffice it to say, there was a time when folk were considering running
their critical infrastructure (such as your route reflectors) in AWS or
similar. I'm not quite sure public clouds are at that level of
confidence yet. So if some kind of cloud-native infrastructure is to be
considered for critical infrastructure, I highly suspect it will be
in-house.

On the other hand, for any new budding entrepreneurs that want to get
into the mobile game with as little cost as possible, there is a huge
opportunity to do so by building all that infrastructure in an on-prem
cloud-native architecture, and offer packet forwarding using
general-purpose hardware provided they don't exceed their expectations.
This way, they wouldn't have to deal with the high costs traditional
vendors (Ericsson, Nokia, Huawei, Siemens, ZTE, e.t.c.) impose. Granted,
it would be small scale, but maybe that is the business model. And in an
industry where capex is fast out-pacing revenue, it would be the mobile
network equivalent of low-cost carrier airlines.

I very well could be talking out the side of my neck, but my prediction
is mobile operators will be optimistic but cautious. I reckon a healthy
mix between cloud-native and tried & tested practices.

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
The surprise for me regards Intel's (and the entire Cloud Native Computing
Foundation's?) readiness to move past network functions run on VMs
and towards network functions run as microservices in containers.

See, for example, Azhar Sayeed's (Red Hat) contribution here
<https://www.lightreading.com/webinar.asp?webinar_id=1608>@15:33.

Cheers,

Etienne

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 7:21 AM Etienne-Victor Depasquale <edepa@ieee.org>
wrote:

> The surprise for me regards Intel's (and the entire Cloud Native Computing
> Foundation's?) readiness to move past network functions run on VMs
> and towards network functions run as microservices in containers.
>
> See, for example, Azhar Sayeed's (Red Hat) contribution here
> <https://www.lightreading.com/webinar.asp?webinar_id=1608>@15:33.

Be careful not to confuse vendors pumping stuff with whats actually
deployed.

Also, AT&T has been doing virtualization for nearly 10 years now, so
perhaps you were just not paying attention

https://www.fiercetelecom.com/telecom/at-t-target-for-virtualizing-75-its-network-by-2020

Not sure it has helped ATT in any meaningful way, their stock price is the
same it was in 2015.

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]

> Be careful not to confuse vendors pumping stuff with whats actually
> deployed.

Well yes, there's always the hype factor to discount. The reason why I'm
asking this forum is to separate hype from hope.

Also, AT&T has been doing virtualization for nearly 10 years now, so
> perhaps you were just not paying attention

But the point is just that: how serious is this progression towards
cloud-native, if so much effort was put in to virtualization?

Incidentally, AT&T's Brian Bearden was present here
<https://intelvs.on24.com/vshow/inteldcgevents/#content/2393080>: just
listen to how he defended Intel's containerization drive @24:56.

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 1/Aug/20 16:33, Ca By wrote:

> Be careful not to confuse vendors pumping stuff with whats actually
> deployed.

Words of wisdom.

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 1/Aug/20 16:52, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:
> But the point is just that: how serious is this progression towards
> cloud-native, if so much effort was put in to virtualization?

I suspect that if a significant amount of investment has already gone
into classic NFV, and for the most part, it's working reasonably well,
an operation would need to be seriously bored or have tons of cash and
time around to uproot all of that work and change things around without
some compelling technical or commercial reason to do so.

Despite the NFV world being well bedded in, it's still an evolving piece
of tech., and this is one field where operators are prone to spending
multiple times on the same thing, as they realize the previous decision
fell out of favour with the community or their favorite vendor.

I've seen it happen right here in South Africa, when a company built an
"SDN" platform 7 different times in 3 years as the industry kept
oscillating; going through whatever "SDN" platform vendors pushed, what
the open community was putting out, OpenStack, e.t.c.

They eventually closed down that side of the business, this year.

So for greenfield sites, maybe. But for existing installations that have
been around a while, I guess the transition to "cloud-native" might be a
bit of an ask, given the industry's history on this.

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]

> I reason that Intel's implication is that virtualization is becoming
> obsolete.
> Would anyone care to let me know his thoughts on this prediction?

Virtualization is not becoming obsolete ... quite reverse in fact in all
types of deployments I can see around.

The point is that VM provides hardware virtualization while kubernetes with
containers virtualize OS apps and services are running on in isolation.

Clearly to virtualize operating systems as long as your level of
virtualization mainly in terms of security and resource consumption
isolation & reservation is satisfactory is a much better and lighter
option.

Thx,
R.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]

> Clearly to virtualize operating systems as long as your level of
> virtualization mainly in terms of security and resource consumption
> isolation & reservation is satisfactory is a much better and lighter
> option.

That pretty much sums up Intel's view.

To quote an Intel executive I was corresponding with:

"The purpose of the paper was to showcase how Communication Service
Providers can move to a more nimble and future proof microservices based
network architecture with cloud native functions, via container deployment
methodologies versus virtual machines. The paper cites many benefits of
moving to a microservices architecture beyond whether it is done in a VM
environment or cloud native. We believe the 5G networks of the future will
benefit greatly by implementing such an approach to deploying new services."

The paper referred to is this one
<https://www.intel.in/content/www/in/en/communications/why-containers-and-cloud-native-functions-paper.html>
.

Cheers,

Etienne

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 1/Aug/20 18:23, Robert Raszuk wrote:

> Virtualization is not becoming obsolete ... quite reverse in fact in
> all types of deployments I can see around.
>
> The point is that VM provides hardware virtualization while kubernetes
> with containers virtualize OS apps and services are running on in
> isolation.
>
> Clearly to virtualize operating systems as long as your level of
> virtualization mainly in terms of security and resource consumption
> isolation & reservation is satisfactory is a much better and lighter
> option.

I see cloud-native as NFV++. It requires some adjustment to how classic
NFV has been deployed, and that comes down to whether operators
(especially those who err on the side of network operations rather than
services) see value in upgrading their stack to cloud-native.

If you're a Netflix or an Uber, sure, a cloud-native architecture is
probably the only way you can scale. But if you are simple network
operators who focus more on pushing packets than over-the-top services,
particularly if you already have some NFV, making the move to
cloud-native/NFV++ is a whole consideration.

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
Containerization and k8s aren't so much a shift away from virtualization
(horizontally), but a shift up from virtualization (vertically). It is a broader
theme than 5G - initially gaining traction with SaaS companies, and recently
appearing in NFV scenarios.

Under the hood, k8s relies on an operating system which in turn typically runs
inside a VM on a physical compute resource. Virtualization, thus, isn't obsolete
- but its implementation specifics lose importance.

The operator describes her desired configuration state once in the form of k8s
objects, and is ready to deploy a service to any k8s platform instance. This can
be an A-list k8s-as-a-service provider such as Amazon EKS, Google GKE, or Azure
AKS. It can also be an in-house VMWare Tanzu or Mirantis Cloud Platform
deployment that runs on the operator's own bare metal in their own data center.

This additional abstraction, however, is only magical when someone else gets
paid to deal with the detail. For an operator's in-house IT team, introducing
k8s can be a net increase in complexity. Now, not only do they have to deal with
all traditional IT challenges up to and including virtualization (life-cycle of
hardware, physical network, storage, virtualization, operating system,
licensing, backups, ...) - but also must map the k8s platform instance to these
underlying elements and ensure the correct functioning of the k8s platform itself.

Solutions are emerging (e.g. Amazon AWS Outposts, which allow an operator to
bring a micro Amazon region in-house), but we'll likely continue to see NFV
vendors supporting both VM-targetted and k8s-targetted deployment scenarios for
some time.

--
Sincerely,

David Monosov

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
From: Etienne-Victor Depasquale <edepa@ieee.org>

See, for example, Azhar Sayeed's (Red Hat) contribution here
<https://www.lightreading.com/webinar.asp?webinar_id=1608>@15:33.

Don't send links to this list that require one to register
to read the article and then say, "By registering for our
site, your email will be added to our promotions list" and
"Occasionally our trusted partners may want to send you
information about exciting new products and services"

No one's going to click on that!

scott
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
The short answer is that the "Cloud Native Computing" folks need to talk to
the Intel Embedded Systems Application engineers to discover that micro
services have been running on Intel hardware in (non-standard) containers
for years. We call it real time computing, process control,... Current
multi Terabit Ethernet interfaces require specialized hardware and
interfaces that will connect fiber optics to clouds but cannot be run on
clouds.

Some comments on Software Controlled Telecomm (/datacom) networking. When
DTMF was invented the telco used in band signaling for call control. Kevin
Mitnick et. al. designed red and black boxes to control the telco systems
so the telcos moved call control out of band. They created SIgnal Control
Points which managed the actual circuit switch hardware to route calls or
eventually 64kbps digital paths and this protocol was SS#7. There were six
to seven volumes of CLASS services that were enabled by SS#7 which ran on
UNIX systems developed by Bell Labs. In the mid seventies, I worked on VM
systems from DEC and Apollo of which Apollo had the better virtualization
that worked across the network and was the first "cloud" system that I
worked on.

In the mid nineties, I had worked on large Gigabit/Terabit routers but
again the control plane was part of the data plane until ATM based
networks could use out of band control to setup a SVC between input port
and output port and switch the IP packets instead of routing them achieving
network end to end delays of less than milliseconds. VLAN and MPLS
protocols were developed to switch packets in the backbone of the networks
and not to route them.

In 2000 we put our first pre-standard cloud together with multi Gigabit
routers and Sun workstations at 45 PoPs in the US, 3 in Asia and 6 in
Europe and implemented a "cloud" O/S. Our fastest links were 10 Gbps. Now
we can have 2-50 Tbps per fiber using Superchannel DWDM technology between
PoP, data centers or cell towers. Network control functions can dynamically
change by using Dynamic Reprogrammable EPROMs from companies like Xilinx
and Intel to repurpose firmware control and device functions.

Embedded systems have implemented "micro services" for years as that is how
you handle interrupt driven real time control. We call this a context
switch which is still hardware CPU dependent. As far as I know, current
standard containers do not handle real time CPU interrupts or do they allow
very tight timing reponse loops within the standard containers?

Certain 5G proposals are discussing network slicing et al to virtualize
control functions that can work better without virtualization. Current 5G
protocol submissions that I have reviewed are way too complex to work out
in the real world on real networks, maintained by union labor. (This is not
a dig at union labor, as they are some of the best trained techs.) :)

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
Buzzwords have a limited life before the vendors need to make up something else to invoice you for.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

Midwest-IX
http://www.midwest-ix.com

See, for example Alex Quach, here @10:30). I reason that Intel's implication is that virtualization is becoming obsolete.

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
In article <20200801143522.E25A8AB6@m0117164.ppops.net> you write:
>--- edepa@ieee.org wrote:
>From: Etienne-Victor Depasquale <edepa@ieee.org>
>
>See, for example, Azhar Sayeed's (Red Hat) contribution here
><https://www.lightreading.com/webinar.asp?webinar_id=1608>@15:33.
>

>Don't send links to this list that require one to register
>to read the article and then say, "By registering for our
>site, your email will be added to our promotions list" and
>"Occasionally our trusted partners may want to send you
>information about exciting new products and services"
>
>No one's going to click on that!

Sure we are. That's what mailinator is for.

R's,
John
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
Maybe I am off topic a little bit here and i'd like to be educated if i am
wrong but I think those 5G applications will move from VMs into
containers/microservices when their vendors see a business case to
rearchitect them, maybe its already happening as we speak.

On the other side of that coin is that product managers of these 5G apps
seeing the margins on their apps diminish when they slice them to a form
that allows other "orchestrators" to deploy them.

Another side is that the software engineers working on these Apps have a
lot more prioritized items/things to develop (real core functions) so they
will delay this transformation.

However, some CSPs are doing well putting a wrapper/UX around Mobility
(e.g: Twilio)

Cheers

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that anyone would get ruffled.

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 1/Aug/20 23:53, John Lee wrote:

> In 2000 we put our first pre-standard cloud together with multi
> Gigabit routers and Sun workstations at 45 PoPs in the US, 3 in Asia
> and 6 in Europe and implemented a "cloud" O/S. Our fastest links were
> 10 Gbps. Now we can have 2-50 Tbps per fiber using Superchannel DWDM
> technology between PoP, data centers or cell towers. Network control
> functions can dynamically change by using Dynamic Reprogrammable
> EPROMs from companies like Xilinx and Intel to repurpose firmware
> control and device functions.

I believe that if a system has a single (and often simple) function, as
in the case of DWDM, you can have an off-site control plane to decide
what the network should transport.

The problem with IP networks is that you get multiple services that they
need to carry at various layers of the stack, that it becomes tricky not
to have some kind of localized control plane to ensure the right
intelligence is onboard to advise the data plane about what to do, in a
changing network environment.

While we can do this with a VM on a server, the server's NIC lets us
down when we need to push 100's of Gbps or 10's of Tbps.

> Certain 5G proposals are discussing network slicing et al to
> virtualize control functions that can work better without
> virtualization. Current 5G protocol submissions that I have reviewed
> are way too complex to work out in the real world on real networks,
> maintained by union labor. (This is not a dig at union labor, as they
> are some of the best trained techs.) :)

In a world where user traffic is exceedingly moving away from private
networks and on to the the public Internet, I struggle to understand how
5G's "network slicing" is going to deliver what it promises, when the
network is merely seen as a means to get users to what they want. In
most cases, what they want will not be hosted locally within the mobile
network, making discrete SLR's as prescribed by network slicing,
somewhat useless.

With all the bells & whistles 5G is claiming will change the world, I
just don't see how that will work as more services move into
over-the-top public clouds.

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
There's always someone ruffled about something. Don't give it a second thought.

-----

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 2/Aug/20 06:51, Ahmed elBorno wrote:
> Maybe I am off topic a little bit here and i'd like to be educated if
> i am wrong but I think those 5G applications will move from VMs into
> containers/microservices when their vendors see a business case to
> rearchitect them, maybe its already happening as we speak.

I'm still trying to figure out what "these 5G applications" are :-).

> On the other side of that coin is that product managers of these 5G
> apps seeing the margins on their apps diminish when they slice them to
> a form that allows other "orchestrators" to deploy them.

My understanding of "network slicing" is that an operator lets an MVNO
ride their network (happens today already), and that MVNO can further
"slice" their portion of the operators network to deliver different
performance levels for the different services they offer down to the
end-user.

Still not sure how this will work considering a great deal of the global
Internet is for services that live on the public Internet, and many
specialized/private services would typically still run over fibre. I
know we'd all like to see heart surgery over 5G, but something tells me
if you can afford it, the hospital can afford some fibre :-).

Perhaps M2M may have a use-case, but that's working reasonably well on
4G today, unless we expect to see a massive jump in performance with the
marginal improvement in radio latency between device and 5G tower.

> Another side is that the software engineers working on these Apps have
> a lot more prioritized items/things to develop (real core functions)
> so they will delay this transformation.

This is the crux of the issue.

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]

> Still not sure how this will work considering a great deal of the global
> Internet is for services that live on the public Internet, and many
> specialized/private services would typically still run over fibre.

Is the following extract from this Heavy Reading white paper
<https://www.infinera.com/wp-content/uploads/HR-Operator-Strategies-for-5G-Transport-July-2020_WP.pdf>,
useful?

" For transport network slicing,
operators strongly prefer soft slicing with virtual private networks
(VPNs),
regardless of the VPN flavor.
Ranking at the top of the list was Layer 3 VPNs (selected by 66% of
respondents),
but Layer 2 VPNs, Ethernet VPNs (EVPNs), and segment routing
also ranked highly at 47%, 46%, and 46%, respectively.
The point is underscored by the low preferences among all of the hard
slicing technologies—
those that physically partition resources among slices.
Hard slicing options formed the bottom tier among preferences."

Etienne

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 3/Aug/20 08:40, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:

> Is the following extract from this Heavy Reading white paper
> <https://www.infinera.com/wp-content/uploads/HR-Operator-Strategies-for-5G-Transport-July-2020_WP.pdf>,
> useful?
>
> " For transport network slicing,
> operators strongly prefer soft slicing with virtual private networks
> (VPNs),
> regardless of the VPN flavor.
> Ranking at the top of the list was Layer 3 VPNs (selected by 66% of
> respondents),
> but Layer 2 VPNs, Ethernet VPNs (EVPNs), and segment routing
> also ranked highly at 47%, 46%, and 46%, respectively.
> The point is underscored by the low preferences among all of the hard
> slicing technologies—
> those that physically partition resources among slices.
> Hard slicing options formed the bottom tier among preferences."

Well, it's what I've been saying - we have tried & tested systems and
solutions that are already native to IP/MPLS networks. Why try to
reinvent network virtualization when there are plenty of existing
solutions in the wild for next to cheap? VLAN's. l2vpn's. l3vpn's. EVPN.
DWDM. And all the rest?

The whole fuss, for example, about the GRX vs. IPX all came down to
2Mbps private or public IP-based GTP tunnels vs. 100Mbps l3vpn's.

Mobile operators know how to make everyday protocols seem overly
complicated.

If we go by their nomenclature, the simple operators on this list have
been slicing infrastructure for yonks :-).

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
I think that it's validation of QoS that really matters now.

If I were to base on this recent video from Keysight
<https://www.keysight.com/zz/en/events/america/webinars.html?D2C=2036435&isSocialSharing=Y&partnerref=emailShareFromGateway>
(warning:
requires registration),
then it seems that there's a lot of emphasis on making grounded claims
about the QoS that the operator sells.

Cheers,

Etienne

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
How about hardware slicing support? such as switch, server and router
slicing? is this supported/desirable?

Djamel

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 4/Aug/20 16:35, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:

> I think that it's validation of QoS that really matters now.
>
> If I were to base on this recent video from Keysight
> <https://www.keysight.com/zz/en/events/america/webinars.html?D2C=2036435&isSocialSharing=Y&partnerref=emailShareFromGateway> (warning:
> requires registration),
> then it seems that there's a lot of emphasis on making grounded claims
> about the QoS that the operator sells.

Well, selling QoS is great, but does it actually help the customer in
the end.

One of the biggest draws to l3vpn's back in the day was that they
provided "awesome QoS". What untrained customers thought was excellent
QoS, is what we engineers knew as RSVP-TE. To the untrained eye,
bandwidth reservation = excellent QoS. What the customer's weren't
always told was that when it all hits the fan, even your PQ traffic may
not be guaranteed final delivery on a 200% congested port due to a
neighboring outage. And that's the traffic the customer is paying
top-dollar for, not to get dropped, ever, hehe.

It's just like the fuss I always faced when landing at SFO... from point
of embarkation, transit and in the cabin, Business or First class
service done right. Arrive SFO; no Priority lane; after traveling for
nearly 30hrs. Not being an American, I can't use Global Entry. Not sure
if that has since changed, but that's real-world QoS for you :-)...

So in a world where the majority of Internet traffic lives on a public
Internet which you can't QoS end-to-end, what will network slicing
deliver in real, QoS terms?

For me, 5G QoS would be great if it had something to do with priority or
discriminated access from the device to the radio (first mile). But I'm
not exactly sure how to practically do that.

QoS applied AFTER the packets leave the radio network and hit the fibre
backbone may not necessarily create real value if the application is
normal Internet access.

If the 5G operator is using the same backbone to carry voice and data,
then yes, QoS can help to ensure they don't drop any VoIP calls. But
then that is already included in the price I pay for making a phone
call, and can't (or shouldn't) be sold extra to me :-).

So again, not sure what QoS a 5G operator is going to sell to a 5G
end-user (single or large scale).

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 10:36 AM Etienne-Victor Depasquale
<edepa@ieee.org> wrote:

> I think that it's validation of QoS that really matters now.

note that it's qos at many layers in the stack as well:
1) your application 'qos' on the machine(s) on which it runs
2) your application's traffic qos on the machine/vswitch/etc on which it runs
3) your application's traffic qos on the immediate network elements (in pop)
4) your application's traffic qos on the intermediary network
elements (in metro)
5) your application's traffic qos on the overall transport network
(ran, fiber, wired, cross-metro/etc)

> If I were to base on this recent video from Keysight (warning: requires registration),
> then it seems that there's a lot of emphasis on making grounded claims about the QoS that the operator sells.

marketing claims are fun.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 4/Aug/20 16:46, Djamel Sadok wrote:

> How about hardware slicing support? such as switch, server and router
> slicing? is this supported/desirable?

So you mean dump the VLAN model and give each service its own switch?

Or do you mean use one server but give each service its own VM? Or
worse, give each service its own metal server?

Wouldn't that take us back into the digital stone age :-)?

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
The survey I pointed to suggests that hard slicing is the least preferred
option among survey respondents.

Etienne

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
I mean virtualization of the hardware in terms of running different
router/switch/server instances/VMs/ on the same platform. Is this
desirable?

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 4/Aug/20 16:56, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:

> The survey I pointed to suggests that hard slicing is the least
> preferred option among survey respondents.

That's because the very nature of DWDM, Ethernet, IP, MPLS and VM's is
all about re-using the same infrastructure over and over again for it to
make commercial sense.

I doubt we want to move away from those concepts.

We rely on many services today delivered over the public Internet that
virtualize and still perform. Even good ol' video streaming, which was
predicted to break the Internet.

So not sure what applications are driving the demand for "greater QoS"
on 5G networks, in real terms.

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 4/Aug/20 17:00, Djamel Sadok wrote:

> I mean virtualization of the hardware in terms of running different
> router/switch/server instances/VMs/ on the same platform. Is this
> desirable?

So you mean like multiple VM's, on the same server, each representing an
NFV-based router/switch/firewall/EPC, for example?

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]

> So not sure what applications are driving the demand for "greater QoS"
> on 5G networks, in real terms.

Mark,

V2X, no?

Otherwise, I'm perfectly in agreement with what you've just written.

Etienne

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
> I doubt we want to move away from those concepts.

I think we all do - except technology is not there yet. Just imagine if
over a single piece of fiber you will get infinite bandwidth delivered over
unlimited modulation frequency spectrum ...

IMHO till real true optical switching is a commodity we are stuck with
statistical multiplexing.

But optimistically I think time will come when you will be able to
setup end to end optical paths in true any to any fashion with real end to
end resource guarantees. Then next generations will be looking at current
routers like we look today at strowger telephone switches :)

Cheers,
R.

PS. All of the current attempts to turn IP statistical multiplexing into
network slicing or deterministic networks are far from scale or practical
deployments (IMO).

RE: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
Wondering whether the industry will consider containerised data-plane in addition to control-plane (like cRDP).

Having just control-plane and then hacking to kernel for doing the data-plane bit is …well not as straight forward as having a dedicated data-plane VM or potentially container.

adam

The paper referred to is this one <https://www.intel.in/content/www/in/en/communications/why-containers-and-cloud-native-functions-paper.html%20> .

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]

> PS. All of the current attempts to turn IP statistical multiplexing into
> network slicing or deterministic networks are far from scale or practical
> deployments (IMO).

Wow, that's quite a statement (I'm not disparaging, just surprised).

Etienne

RE: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
Not sure what you mean NFV is NFV,

From NFV perspective cRDP is no different than vMX -it’s just a virtualized router function nothing special…

Also with regards to NFV markets, it’s just CPE or telco-cloud (routing on host, FWs, LBs and other domain specific network devices like SBCs), and then RRs, no one sane would be replacing high throughput aggregation points like PEs or core nodes with NFV ,unless one wants to get into some serious horizontal scaling ;).

adam

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
Intel definitely is pressing for containerized data plane.

Here <https://intelvs.on24.com/vshow/inteldcgevents/#content/2393080>,
@20:49 (registration required), I placed that very question and it took a
bit of humming to obtain a straight answer :)

Etienne

RE: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
Router/switch slicing is supported but not really used much

adam

> > How about hardware slicing support? such as switch, server and router
> > slicing? is this supported/desirable?
>
> So you mean dump the VLAN model and give each service its own switch?
>
> Or do you mean use one server but give each service its own VM? Or worse,
> give each service its own metal server?
>
> Wouldn't that take us back into the digital stone age :-)?

Yes that's exactly it.
Instead of a VDOM (or whatever is your FW vendor slicing mechanism) give each customer a FW "instance" (VM/Containerized -if there's such a thing already) and instantiate it on demand and with resources customer requested and enforce utility billing.
Rinse and repeat for any other NF customer might need on your telco cloud (fancy name for a data-canter full of compute)
As simple as that -problem is that all vendors haven't quite gotten up to speed with licensing models, we need an overall Gbps throughput pool licenses not per VM/Container Gbps pool.

adam
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 12:00 PM Etienne-Victor Depasquale
<edepa@ieee.org> wrote:

> Intel definitely is pressing for containerized data plane.
>
> Here, @20:49 (registration required), I placed that very question and it took a bit of humming to obtain a straight answer :)

I'm shocked, shocked to discover that a company that sells CPUs thinks
that a dataplane should run on a CPU...

> Etienne
>

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 5:38 PM <adamv0025@netconsultings.com> wrote:
>>
>> Wondering whether the industry will consider containerised data-plane in addition to control-plane (like cRDP).
>>
>> Having just control-plane and then hacking to kernel for doing the data-plane bit is …well not as straight forward as having a dedicated data-plane VM or potentially container.
>>

>> adam

idea in the first place.
of pants.
---maf
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 4/Aug/20 17:37, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:

> V2X, no?

Again, what's the actual use-case?

I've got a 4G router in my car, to which it connects via wi-fi. I can
use Google Maps, I can stream music if I'm bored with commercial radio,
I can download updates for the car and I can schedule service
appointments with the dealership.

5G coverage is likely going to be worse than 4G coverage for the
foreseeable future. Either grid-locked or on the open road, chances are
your car is going to connecting to a 3G/4G cell tower more often than a
5G one.

And while the practical improvement in radio latency between 4G and 5G
is in the low single digits, how does that make V2X any more interesting
with 5G than it currently is with 4G?

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 4/Aug/20 17:37, Robert Raszuk wrote:

> I think we all do - except technology is not there yet. Just imagine
> if over a single piece of fiber you will get infinite bandwidth
> delivered over unlimited modulation frequency spectrum  ...
>
> IMHO till real true optical switching is a commodity we are stuck with
> statistical multiplexing.

Well, that is why the R&D teams wake up every morning. But it's safe to
say that we are in a very good place where I can now take what was once
meant to run only a single service, and put other customers on it. Or
better yet, what was once meant to only carry 640Gbps, and push it to 6Tbps.

Today's tech. has done quite well. Can we do better? Sure. But I don't
think we are struggling that badly at the moment, knowing how worse it
could be.

> But optimistically I think time will come when you will be able to
> setup end to end optical paths in true any to any fashion with real
> end to end resource guarantees. Then next generations will be looking
> at current routers like we look today at strowger telephone switches  :)

I hope you're right :-).

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 4/Aug/20 17:38, adamv0025@netconsultings.com wrote:

> Wondering whether the industry will consider containerised data-plane
> in addition to control-plane (like cRDP).
>
> Having just control-plane and then hacking to kernel for doing the
> data-plane bit is …well not as straight forward as having a dedicated
> data-plane VM or potentially container.

Well, there has been some discussion in the past 2 years about whether
vendors can open up some of their data planes and allow those with
enough energy and clue (that means not me, hehe) to have their take on
what they can do with the chips in some kind of form factor, even
without their OS.

Outside of that, merchant silicon is the next step, before we try to
hack it on general-purpose CPU's, as we've been doing for some time.

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 4/Aug/20 17:45, adamv0025@netconsultings.com wrote:

> Not sure what you mean NFV is NFV,
>
> From NFV perspective cRDP is no different than vMX -it’s just a
> virtualized router function nothing special…

What I meant that as we've been deploying NFV as a VM, cloud-native
means we take that VM and containerize it further. It's a further
diffusion of NFV, in my book. The benefits about the added de-layering
(if one can call it that) are left as an exercise to the operator.

> Also with regards to NFV markets, it’s just CPE or telco-cloud
> (routing on host, FWs, LBs and other domain specific network devices
> like SBCs), and then RRs, no one sane would be replacing high
> throughput aggregation points like PEs or core nodes with NFV ,unless
> one wants to get into some serious horizontal scaling ;).

Well, vCPE's and vBNG's have long been the holy grail for some of us,
especially since it makes IPv6 roll-out significantly simpler.

Mark.
RE: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
I was actually talking about routing on the host and virtual control-plane and virtualized data-plane.

Currently we either have a VM combining both or a separate VM for each. Alternatively we can have a container for the control-plane.

I was wondering if the idea behind containerization is to do virtual data-plane as a container as well.

In terms of containerization on vendor HW or opening up data-plane, seems like XR7 from Cisco is leading the way:

- System runs in containers on RE and Line-cards, allows one to run 3rd party containers,

- Allows one to run 3rd party routing protocols to program RIB

- Allows one to program FIB via Open Forwarding Abstraction (OFA) APIs

- And XR itself can run on selected 3rd party HW.

That pretty much covers all the avenues we as operators are interested in, of course it’s not all just roses and unicorns and there will be further development and streamlining necessary.

adam

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 5/Aug/20 16:15, adamv0025@netconsultings.com wrote:

> I was actually talking about routing on the host and virtual
> control-plane and virtualized data-plane.
>
> Currently we either have a VM combining both or a separate VM for
> each. Alternatively we can have a container for the control-plane.
>
> I was wondering if the idea behind containerization is to do virtual
> data-plane as a container as well.

Good question.

My understanding of cloud-native that the mobile folk want is to deliver
over-the-top services, and not necessarily turn containers into
packet-forwarding routers at scale. However, the question is
interesting, so we'll see.

> In terms of containerization on vendor HW or opening up data-plane,
> seems like XR7 from Cisco is leading the way:
>
> - System runs in containers on RE and Line-cards, allows one to run
> 3^rd party containers,
>
> - Allows one to run 3^rd party routing protocols to program RIB
>
> - Allows one to program FIB via Open Forwarding Abstraction (OFA) APIs
>
> - And XR itself can run on selected 3^rd party HW.
>

> That pretty much covers all the avenues we as operators are interested
> in, of course it’s not all just roses and unicorns and there will be
> further development and streamlining necessary.

That's a good start, indeed. Do we know if Cisco are opening up their
own data plane, or Broadcom ones?

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
I think you'd be surprised how much of the 5G Core is containerized for
both the data and control planes in the next generations providers are
currently deploying.

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 5/Aug/20 17:07, Shane Ronan wrote:

> I think you'd be surprised how much of the 5G Core is containerized
> for both the data and control planes in the next generations providers
> are currently deploying.

It's what I expect for new entrants that don't want to deal with
traditional vendors.

I'd be curious to see if legacy operators are shifting traffic away from
iron to servers, and at what rate.

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]

> And while the practical improvement in radio latency

between 4G and 5G is in the low single digits,

how does that make V2X any more interesting with 5G

than it currently is with 4G?

Release 16 is just out and if it has delivered the 5G vision,
latency between devices connected over the same radio interface
(which I take to mean the same gNB),
is now < 1 ms.
Isn't that a good improvement?

Again, what's the actual use-case?

I understand that this is a key enabler for driverless cars (real-time,
automated vehicle navigation) - the V2I part of V2X.

5G coverage is likely going to be worse than 4G coverage for the
> foreseeable future. Either grid-locked or on the open road, chances are
> your car is going to connecting to a 3G/4G cell tower more often than a
> 5G one.

Here's one blogger who agrees with you
<https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/16515/349885?utm_source=brighttalk-recommend&utm_campaign=network_weekly_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=company&utm_term=312020>
(@19:46) about coverage - and count me in.
But, I guess, it's fair to say that this is the chicken-and-egg conundrum :)

Cheers,

Etienne

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]

> What I meant that as we've been deploying NFV as a VM,

cloud-native means we take that VM and containerize it further.

Umm, I don't think so.
At least that's not the impression I got from the CNCF, Intel and Red Hat.
They seem to be striving for K8s without the use of VM hypervisors.

Etienne

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 5/Aug/20 18:34, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:

> Release 16 is just out and if it has delivered the 5G vision,
> latency between devices connected over the same radio interface
> (which I take to mean the same gNB),
> is now < 1 ms.
> Isn't that a good improvement?

Well, I doubt the radio has any service intelligence. It's just a
conduit. Depending on why two devices on the same radio have to
communicate, a cleverer system deep in the core would need to process
that before handing it back to the radio network.

Of course, it makes the case for deploying services at each base station
to localize services, but that could get expensive for an entire radio
network, particularly within a 100km Metro where fibre latency will
remain at ±1ms anyway.

Not to mention that with the exception of things like cars in a traffic
jam or on the same piece of highway, the chances of two devices talking
to each other over the same radio can't always be guaranteed.

> I understand that this is a key enabler for driverless cars
> (real-time, automated vehicle navigation) - the V2I part of V2X.

I look forward to seeing this.

> Here's one blogger who agrees with you
> <https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/16515/349885?utm_source=brighttalk-recommend&utm_campaign=network_weekly_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=company&utm_term=312020
> (@19:46) about coverage - and count me in.
> But, I guess, it's fair to say that this is the chicken-and-egg
> conundrum :)

The video won't play. Could be my browser.

Anyway, time will tell. I see 5G roll-out density like rolling out fibre
in places only where the postal service can get to. But I hope I'm wrong.

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 5/Aug/20 18:39, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:

> Umm, I don't think so.
> At least that's not the impression I got from the CNCF, Intel and Red Hat.
> They seem to be striving for K8s without the use of VM hypervisors.

Much to learn :-).

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 4/Aug/20 18:05, adamv0025@netconsultings.com wrote:

> Yes that's exactly it.
> Instead of a VDOM (or whatever is your FW vendor slicing mechanism) give each customer a FW "instance" (VM/Containerized -if there's such a thing already) and instantiate it on demand and with resources customer requested and enforce utility billing.
> Rinse and repeat for any other NF customer might need on your telco cloud (fancy name for a data-canter full of compute)
> As simple as that -problem is that all vendors haven't quite gotten up to speed with licensing models, we need an overall Gbps throughput pool licenses not per VM/Container Gbps pool.

We attempted this for a vCPE model based on CSR1000v.

The options were to either give each customer their own VM, or share a
single VM across all customers. The former was too resource intensive,
while the latter suffered from an appropriate license billing model with
Cisco.

For me, vCPE's make plenty of sense because you can automatically impose
IPv6 on all customers without them being bothered about what it is.

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
Yes they are for 5G core.

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 6/Aug/20 15:43, Shane Ronan wrote:

> Yes they are for 5G core.

Right, but for legacy operators, or new entrants?

If you know where we can find some info about deployment and
experiences, that would be very interesting to read.

We've all been struggling to make Intel CPU's shift 10's, 40's and 100's
of Gbps of revenue traffic as a routing platform, so would like to know
how the operators are getting on with this.

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
Mark,

I don’t think you’re going to move those volumes with Intel X86 chips. For example, AT&T’s Open Compute Project whitebox architecture is based on Broadcom Jericho2 processors, with aggregate on-chip throughput of 9.6 Tbps, and which support 24 ports at 400 Gbps each. This is where AT&T’s 5G slicing is taking place.

https://about.att.com/story/2019/open_compute_project.html

Intel has developed nothing like this, and has had to resort to acquisition of multi-chip solutions to get these speeds (e.g. its purchase of Barefoot Networks Tofino2 IP).

The X86 architecture is too complex and carries too much non-network-related baggage to be a serious player in 5G slicing.

-mel

?

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 6/Aug/20 17:43, Mel Beckman wrote:

> I don’t think you’re going to move those volumes with Intel X86 chips.
> For example, AT&T’s Open Compute Project whitebox architecture is
> based on Broadcom Jericho2 processors, with aggregate on-chip
> throughput of 9.6 Tbps, and which support 24 ports at 400 Gbps each.
> This is where AT&T’s 5G slicing is taking place.

My point exactly.

If much of the cloud-native is happening on servers with Intel chips,
and part of the micro-services is to also provide data plane
functionality at that level, I don't see how it can scale for legacy
mobile operators. It might make sense for niche, start-up mobile
operators with little-to-no traffic serving some unique case, but not
the classics we have today.

Now, if they are writing their own bits of code on or for white boxes
based on Broadcom et al, not sure that falls in the realm of
"micro-services with Kubernetes". But I could be wrong.

> Intel has developed nothing like this, and has had to resort to
> acquisition of multi-chip solutions to get these speeds (e.g. its
> purchase of Barefoot Networks Tofino2 IP).
>
> The X86 architecture is too complex and carries too much
> non-network-related baggage to be a serious player in 5G slicing.

Which we, as network operators, can all agree on.

But the 5G folk seem to have other ideas, so I just want to see what is
actually truth, and what's noise.

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 11:52 AM Mark Tinka <mark.tinka@seacom.com> wrote:

> On 6/Aug/20 17:43, Mel Beckman wrote:
>
> > I don’t think you’re going to move those volumes with Intel X86 chips.
> > For example, AT&T’s Open Compute Project whitebox architecture is
> > based on Broadcom Jericho2 processors, with aggregate on-chip
> > throughput of 9.6 Tbps, and which support 24 ports at 400 Gbps each.
> > This is where AT&T’s 5G slicing is taking place.
>
> My point exactly.
>
> If much of the cloud-native is happening on servers with Intel chips,
> and part of the micro-services is to also provide data plane
> functionality at that level, I don't see how it can scale for legacy
> mobile operators. It might make sense for niche, start-up mobile
> operators with little-to-no traffic serving some unique case, but not
> the classics we have today.

Isn't this just, really:
1) some network gear with SDN bits that live on the next-rack over
servers/kubes
2) services (microservices!) that do the SDN functions AND NFV
functions AND billing
(extending IMS to the edge etc)

> Now, if they are writing their own bits of code on or for white boxes
> based on Broadcom et al, not sure that falls in the realm of
> "micro-services with Kubernetes". But I could be wrong.

the discussion (I think) got conflated here...
there's: "network equipment" and "microservices equipment" (service equipment?)

and really 'I need a fast, cheap network device I can dynamically program for
things which don't really smell like 'DFZ size LPM routing"'

is just code for: "sdn control the switch, sending traffic either at
'default' or based
on 'service data' some microservice architecture of NFV things.

> > Intel has developed nothing like this, and has had to resort to
> > acquisition of multi-chip solutions to get these speeds (e.g. its
> > purchase of Barefoot Networks Tofino2 IP).
> >
> > The X86 architecture is too complex and carries too much
> > non-network-related baggage to be a serious player in 5G slicing.
>
> Which we, as network operators, can all agree on.
>
> But the 5G folk seem to have other ideas, so I just want to see what is
> actually truth, and what's noise.

5g folk seem to have lots of good marketing, and reasons to sell complexity
to their carrier 'partners' (captive prisoners? maybe that's too pejorative :) )
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 6/Aug/20 21:05, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> Isn't this just, really:
> 1) some network gear with SDN bits that live on the next-rack over
> servers/kubes
> 2) services (microservices!) that do the SDN functions AND NFV
> functions AND billing
> (extending IMS to the edge etc)

I can already see how we are going to spend the next 10 years defining
this :-)...

> the discussion (I think) got conflated here...
> there's: "network equipment" and "microservices equipment" (service equipment?)
>
> and really 'I need a fast, cheap network device I can dynamically program for
> things which don't really smell like 'DFZ size LPM routing"'
>
> is just code for: "sdn control the switch, sending traffic either at
> 'default' or based
> on 'service data' some microservice architecture of NFV things.

I think we've just given vendors job security for another decade, hehe.

> 5g folk seem to have lots of good marketing, and reasons to sell complexity
> to their carrier 'partners' (captive prisoners? maybe that's too pejorative :) )

Amen!

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]

> Well, I doubt the radio has any service intelligence. It's just a conduit.
> Depending on why two devices on the same radio have to communicate, a
> cleverer system deep in the core would need to process that before handing
> it back to the radio network.

5G introduced a number of functional units (RU, DU and CU) in the radio
access network and disaggregation is flexible. Service intelligence doesn't
need to come from the core; it may be far out in the edge. At the RU, there
is packetized data ready for transmission over eCPRI to the DU. In this
webinar <https://www.lightreading.com/webinar.asp?webinar_id=1656> (@6:07),
there's a bit of a projection about use of service intelligence.

Cheers,

Etienne

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 7/Aug/20 09:35, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:

> 5G introduced a number of functional units (RU, DU and CU) in the
> radio access network and disaggregation is flexible. Service
> intelligence doesn't need to come from the core; it may be far out in
> the edge. At the RU, there is packetized data ready for transmission
> over eCPRI to the DU. In this webinar
> <https://www.lightreading.com/webinar.asp?webinar_id=1656> (@6:07),
> there's a bit of a projection about use of service intelligence.

In my old, the plan is what happens :-).

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 7/Aug/20 09:35, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:

> 5G introduced a number of functional units (RU, DU and CU) in the
> radio access network and disaggregation is flexible. Service
> intelligence doesn't need to come from the core; it may be far out in
> the edge. At the RU, there is packetized data ready for transmission
> over eCPRI to the DU. In this webinar
> <https://www.lightreading.com/webinar.asp?webinar_id=1656> (@6:07),
> there's a bit of a projection about use of service intelligence.

In my old age, the plan is what happens :-).

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
I can promise 100% that in LARGE US 5G carriers this is exactly what is happening. Virtual CU’s and DU’s, running on traditional virtualization platforms and in containers.

An entire multi-vendor containerized 5G which replaces the 4G EPC is also in testing, and close to production deployment.

The only non-virtualized devices in the RAN network would be the Radio Units (RU).

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 7/Aug/20 14:40, sronan@ronan-online.com wrote:

> I can promise 100% that in LARGE US 5G carriers this is exactly what
> is happening. Virtual CU’s and DU’s, running on traditional
> virtualization platforms and in containers.
>
> An entire multi-vendor containerized 5G which replaces the 4G EPC is
> also in testing, and close to production deployment.
>
> The only non-virtualized devices in the RAN network would be the Radio
> Units (RU).

With any luck, we shall see an "experience preso" at a NOG near us, some
time.

This would certainly be most interesting for the community.

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 07 Aug 2020 07:29:49 +0200, Mark Tinka said:
> On 6/Aug/20 21:05, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> > Isn't this just, really:
> > 1) some network gear with SDN bits that live on the next-rack over
> > servers/kubes
> > 2) services (microservices!) that do the SDN functions AND NFV
> > functions AND billing
> > (extending IMS to the edge etc)
>
> I can already see how we are going to spend the next 10 years defining
> this :-)...

With research consultant reports tagging along every step of the way. :)
RE: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
And for other stuff as well.

adam

RE: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
> From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka@seacom.com>
> Cc: adamv0025@netconsultings.com; North American Network Operators'
>

> On 6/Aug/20 15:43, Shane Ronan wrote:
>
> > Yes they are for 5G core.
>
> Right, but for legacy operators, or new entrants?
>
> If you know where we can find some info about deployment and
> experiences, that would be very interesting to read.
>
> We've all been struggling to make Intel CPU's shift 10's, 40's and 100's of Gbps
> of revenue traffic as a routing platform, so would like to know how the
> operators are getting on with this.

Mark,
1) first you have your edge - lots of small instances that are meant to be horizontally scaled (not vertically- i.e. not 40's/100's of Gbps pushed via single Intel CPU)
- that's your NFVI.
- could be compute host in a DC "cloud", or in a customer office (acting as CPE), or at the rooftop of the office building i.e. (fog/edge computing) -e.g. hosting self-driving intersection apps via 5G -to your point regarding latency in metro), or in the same rack as core routers (acting as vRR), or actually inside a router as a routing engine card (hosting some containerized app).

2) Any of the compute hosts mentioned above can host one or more of any type of the network function you can think of ranging from EPG, SBC, PBX, all the way to PE-Router, LB, FW/WAF or IDS.

3) While inside a compute host it's CPU based forwarding, but as soon as you leave compute host's NICs there's world of solely NPU based forwarding (that's where you do 40's, 100's, or even 400's Gbps).

4) Now how you make changes to control-planes of these NFs (i.e. virtual CPU-based NFs and physical NPU-based NFs) programmatically, that's the realm of SDN.
- If you want to do it right you do it in an abstracted declarative way (not exposing the complexity to a control program/user - but rather localizing it to a given abstraction layer)
Performing tasks like:
- Defining service topology/access control a.k.a. micro segmentation (e.g. A and B can both talk to C, but not to each other).
- Traffic engineering a.k.a. service chaining, a.k.a. network slicing (e.g. traffic type x should pas through NF A, B and C, but traffic type Y should pass only through A and C)

5) And for completeness, in the virtual world you have the task of VNF lifecycle management (cause the VNFs and virtual networks connecting them can be instantiated on demand)

adam
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 10/Aug/20 15:15, adamv0025@netconsultings.com wrote:

> Mark,
> 1) first you have your edge - lots of small instances that are meant to be horizontally scaled (not vertically- i.e. not 40's/100's of Gbps pushed via single Intel CPU)
> - that's your NFVI.
> - could be compute host in a DC "cloud", or in a customer office (acting as CPE), or at the rooftop of the office building i.e. (fog/edge computing) -e.g. hosting self-driving intersection apps via 5G -to your point regarding latency in metro), or in the same rack as core routers (acting as vRR), or actually inside a router as a routing engine card (hosting some containerized app).

Nothing new. This happens today already.

The main issue, as discussed earlier, was licensing options for CPE-type
deployments. This is what killed our plan for the same.

But as an RR, yes, since 2014.

> 2) Any of the compute hosts mentioned above can host one or more of any type of the network function you can think of ranging from EPG, SBC, PBX, all the way to PE-Router, LB, FW/WAF or IDS.

Yes, but the use-case determines the scale limitations. And there are
many services that you cannot scale by offloading to several little
boxes and expect the same predictability, e.g., a vArborTMS.

> 3) While inside a compute host it's CPU based forwarding, but as soon as you leave compute host's NICs there's world of solely NPU based forwarding (that's where you do 40's, 100's, or even 400's Gbps).

Yes, plenty of white boxes in the world ready to run an OS and ship with
a version of Broadcom. It's a purpose-built device doing one thing and
one thing only.

> 4) Now how you make changes to control-planes of these NFs (i.e. virtual CPU-based NFs and physical NPU-based NFs) programmatically, that's the realm of SDN.
> - If you want to do it right you do it in an abstracted declarative way (not exposing the complexity to a control program/user - but rather localizing it to a given abstraction layer)
> Performing tasks like:
> - Defining service topology/access control a.k.a. micro segmentation (e.g. A and B can both talk to C, but not to each other).
> - Traffic engineering a.k.a. service chaining, a.k.a. network slicing (e.g. traffic type x should pas through NF A, B and C, but traffic type Y should pass only through A and C)

This is the bit that I see working well on a per deployment basis, if
operators aren't too concerned about standardizing the solution.

Where the industry has kept falling over is wanting to standardize the
entire orchestration piece, which is very noble, but ultimately, fraught
with many a complication.

I'm sure we'd all like to see a standard on how we orchestrate the
network and services, but I'm not sure that is practical. After all,
operators are autonomous systems.

> 5) And for completeness, in the virtual world you have the task of VNF lifecycle management (cause the VNFs and virtual networks connecting them can be instantiated on demand)

So I first read all about this in 2015, through a document Cisco
published called "Cisco vMS 1.0 Introduction and Overview Design Guide".

Safe to say not much as changed in the objective, since then :-).

Mark.
> > 1) first you have your edge - lots of small instances that are meant
> > to be horizontally scaled (not vertically- i.e. not 40's/100's of Gbps
> > pushed via single Intel CPU)
> > - that's your NFVI.
> > - could be compute host in a DC "cloud", or in a customer office (acting as
> CPE), or at the rooftop of the office building i.e. (fog/edge computing) -e.g.
> hosting self-driving intersection apps via 5G -to your point regarding latency
> in metro), or in the same rack as core routers (acting as vRR), or actually
> inside a router as a routing engine card (hosting some containerized app).
>
> Nothing new. This happens today already.

Yes apart from the fog/edge computing all aforementioned is business as usual.

> The main issue, as discussed earlier, was licensing options for CPE-type
> deployments. This is what killed our plan for the same.

Yes vendors need to abandon the old physical unit types of licensing schemes for the horizontal scaling to make sense.

> > 2) Any of the compute hosts mentioned above can host one or more of any
> type of the network function you can think of ranging from EPG, SBC, PBX, all
> the way to PE-Router, LB, FW/WAF or IDS.
>
> Yes, but the use-case determines the scale limitations. And there are many
> services that you cannot scale by offloading to several little boxes and expect
> the same predictability, e.g., a vArborTMS.

Can you elaborate?
Apart from licensing scheme what stops one from redirecting traffic to one vTMS instance per say each transit link or per destination /24 (i.e. horizontal scaling)? (vTMS is not stateful or is it?)

> > 4) Now how you make changes to control-planes of these NFs (i.e. virtual
> CPU-based NFs and physical NPU-based NFs) programmatically, that's the
> realm of SDN.
> > - If you want to do it right you do it in an abstracted declarative
> > way (not exposing the complexity to a control program/user - but rather
> localizing it to a given abstraction layer) Performing tasks like:
> > - Defining service topology/access control a.k.a. micro segmentation (e.g. A
> and B can both talk to C, but not to each other).
> > - Traffic engineering a.k.a. service chaining, a.k.a. network slicing
> > (e.g. traffic type x should pas through NF A, B and C, but traffic
> > type Y should pass only through A and C)
>
> This is the bit that I see working well on a per deployment basis, if operators
> aren't too concerned about standardizing the solution.
>
> Where the industry has kept falling over is wanting to standardize the entire
> orchestration piece, which is very noble, but ultimately, fraught with many a
> complication.

Can you please point out any efforts where operators are trying to standardize the orchestration piece?
I think industry is not falling over on this just progressing at steady rate while producing artefacts in the process that you may or may not want to use (I actually find them very useful and not impeding).

> I'm sure we'd all like to see a standard on how we orchestrate the network
> and services, but I'm not sure that is practical. After all, operators are
> autonomous systems.

Personally, I don't need a standard on how I should orchestrate network services. There are very interesting and useful ideas, or better put "frameworks", that anyone can follow (and most are), but standardizing these, ...no point in my opinion.

> > 5) And for completeness, in the virtual world you have the task of VNF
> > lifecycle management (cause the VNFs and virtual networks connecting
> > them can be instantiated on demand)
>
> So I first read all about this in 2015, through a document Cisco published
> called "Cisco vMS 1.0 Introduction and Overview Design Guide".
>
> Safe to say not much as changed in the objective, since then :-).

Really? Never mind then ;)

adam
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 11/Aug/20 17:55, adamv0025@netconsultings.com wrote:

> Can you elaborate?
> Apart from licensing scheme what stops one from redirecting traffic to one vTMS instance per say each transit link or per destination /24 (i.e. horizontal scaling)? (vTMS is not stateful or is it?)

In an effort to control costs, we considered a vTMS from Arbor.

Even Arbor didn't recommend it, which was completely unsurprising.

Arbor can flog you a TMS that can sweep 10Gbps, 20Gbps, 40Gbps or
100Gbps worth of traffic. I don't see how you can run that kind of
traffic in a VM.

> Can you please point out any efforts where operators are trying to standardize the orchestration piece?

NETCONF, YANG, LSO.

> I think industry is not falling over on this just progressing at steady rate while producing artefacts in the process that you may or may not want to use (I actually find them very useful and not impeding).

What's 10 years between friends :-)...

> Personally, I don't need a standard on how I should orchestrate network services. There are very interesting and useful ideas, or better put "frameworks", that anyone can follow (and most are), but standardizing these, ...no point in my opinion.

Now that's something we can agree on... and once folk realize that
getting your solution going is the end-goal - rather than bickering over
whether NETCONF or YANG or SSH or whatever should be the BCOP - is when
we shall finally see some real progress.

Personally, I don't really care of you choose to keep CLI or employ
thousands of software heads to automate said CLI. As long as you are
happy and not wasting time taking every meeting from every vendor about
"automation".

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
Two more bits' worth ...

About a year ago, during a discussion with a local network operator's CTO,
I was told that dependency on the operator's employees
for production of software gave the employees too much leverage over their
employer (the operator, here).

Perhaps industrial standardization of internal processes (including
orchestration APIs) weakens this leverage.

Cheers,

Etienne

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 12/Aug/20 09:49, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:

> Two more bits' worth ...
>
> About a year ago, during a discussion with a local network operator's CTO,
> I was told that dependency on the operator's employees
> for production of software gave the employees too much leverage over
> their employer (the operator, here).
>
> Perhaps industrial standardization of internal processes (including
> orchestration APIs) weakens this leverage.

I'm not sure that's a viable argument considering that any good employee
(network, software, e.t.c.) will inherently have considerable leverage
over their employer. And any good employer knows what to do when they
realize they have good talent - either they do what is required to
maintain that talent, or live with the risk of losing that talent to the
competition.

Moreover, an employer doesn't have to give in to the whims of a
conceited employee; and most do not.

Standardizing processes would do little to allay the fears of a CTO who
is worried about being "cornered" by his/her staff. The real fear such a
CTO would have is in implementation and operation of those processes at
a technology level, i.e., where the rubber meets the actual road.

If companies are going to be that scared by their employees, and if
employees are going to play games with their employers, they each have
other problems to solve, first :-).

Mark.
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]

> Moreover, an employer doesn't have to give in to the whims of a
> conceited employee; and most do not.

This point plays straight up the path of the argument I recounted.

Yes, I agree that there's a relational problem inherent to the situation I
described.
Wouldn't any wise employer playing the relationship game ensure that he's
got cards to play?
And wouldn't the standardization approach be part of the deck?

Cheers,

Etienne

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 12/Aug/20 10:50, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:

> This point plays straight up the path of the argument I recounted.
>
> Yes, I agree that there's a relational problem inherent to the
> situation I described.
> Wouldn't any wise employer playing the relationship game ensure that
> he's got cards to play?
> And wouldn't the standardization approach be part of the deck?

In theory, yes.

But the department most interested in this might be HR, while the ones
most able to implement it will be the CTO team.

Until NOG's start having breakout sessions on employee-employer
dynamics, or until HR conferences start thinking about telecoms industry
orchestration standardizations to mitigate employee-employer dynamics,
it will remain a theory :-).

Mark.
> > Apart from licensing scheme what stops one from redirecting traffic to
> > one vTMS instance per say each transit link or per destination /24
> > (i.e. horizontal scaling)? (vTMS is not stateful or is it?)
>
> In an effort to control costs, we considered a vTMS from Arbor.
>
> Even Arbor didn't recommend it, which was completely unsurprising.
>
> Arbor can flog you a TMS that can sweep 10Gbps, 20Gbps, 40Gbps or
> 100Gbps worth of traffic. I don't see how you can run that kind of traffic in a
> VM.

Fair enough, but you actually haven't answered my question about why you think that VNFs such as vTMS can not be implemented in a horizontal scaling model?
In my opinion any NF virtual or physical can be horizontally scaled.

> > Can you please point out any efforts where operators are trying to
> standardize the orchestration piece?
>
> NETCONF, YANG, LSO.

Right, and of these 3 you mentioned, what is it that you'd say operators are waiting for to get standardized, in order for them to start implementing network services orchestration?

> > I think industry is not falling over on this just progressing at steady rate
> while producing artefacts in the process that you may or may not want to use
> (I actually find them very useful and not impeding).
>
> What's 10 years between friends :-)...
>

> > Personally, I don't need a standard on how I should orchestrate network
> services. There are very interesting and useful ideas, or better put
> "frameworks", that anyone can follow (and most are), but standardizing
> these, ...no point in my opinion.
>
> Now that's something we can agree on... and once folk realize that getting
> your solution going is the end-goal - rather than bickering over whether
> NETCONF or YANG or SSH or whatever should be the BCOP - is when we shall
> finally see some real progress.
>
> Personally, I don't really care of you choose to keep CLI or employ thousands
> of software heads to automate said CLI. As long as you are happy and not
> wasting time taking every meeting from every vendor about "automation".

Agreed, all I'm trying to understand is what makes you claim things like: progress is slow, or there's a lack of standardization, or operators need to wait till things get standardized in order to start doing network service orchestration...
I'm asking cause I just don't see that. My personal experience is quite different to what you're claiming.

Yes the landscape is quite diverse ranging from fire and forget CLI scrapers (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, SaltStack) through open network service orchestration frameworks all the way to a range of commercial products for network service orchestration, but the point is options are there and one can start today, no need to wait for anything to get standardized or things to settle.

adam
Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G? [ In reply to ]
On 12/Aug/20 19:10, adamv0025@netconsultings.com wrote:

> Fair enough, but you actually haven't answered my question about why you think that VNFs such as vTMS can not be implemented in a horizontal scaling model?
> In my opinion any NF virtual or physical can be horizontally scaled.

The limitation is the VM i/o with the metal. Trying to shift 100Gbps of
DoS traffic across smaller VNF's running on Intel CPU's is going to
require quite a sizeable investment, and plenty of gymnastics in how you
route traffic to and through them, vs. taking that cash and spending on
just one or two purpose-built platforms that aren't scrubbing traffic in
general-purpose CPU's.

Needless to say, the ratio between the dirty traffic entering the system
and the clean traffic coming out is often not 1:1, from a licensing
standpoint.

It's not unlike when we ran the numbers to see whether a VM running
CSR1000v on a server connected to a dumb, cheap Layer 2 switch was
cheaper than just buying an ASR920. The ASR920, even with the full
license, was cheaper. Server + VMware license fees + considerations for
NIC throughput just made it massively costly at scale.

> Right, and of these 3 you mentioned, what is it that you'd say operators are waiting for to get standardized, in order for them to start implementing network services orchestration?

You miss my point. The existence of these data models doesn't mean that
operators cannot automate without them.

There are plenty of operators automating their procedures with, and
without those open-based models. My point was if we are spending a lot
of time trying to agree on these data models, so that Cisco can sell me
their NSO, Juniper their Contrail, Ciena their Blue Planet, NEC their
ProgrammableFlow or Nokia their Nuage - while several operators are
deciding what automation means to them without trying to be boxed in
these off-the-shelf solutions that promise vendor-agonstic integration -
we may just blow another 10 years.

> Agreed, all I'm trying to understand is what makes you claim things like: progress is slow, or there's a lack of standardization, or operators need to wait till things get standardized in order to start doing network service orchestration...
> I'm asking cause I just don't see that. My personal experience is quite different to what you're claiming.
>
> Yes the landscape is quite diverse ranging from fire and forget CLI scrapers (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, SaltStack) through open network service orchestration frameworks all the way to a range of commercial products for network service orchestration, but the point is options are there and one can start today, no need to wait for anything to get standardized or things to settle.

Don't get me wrong - if NSO, Blue Planet, Nuage and all the rest are
good for you, go for it.

My concern is most engineers and commercial teams are confused about the
best way forward because the industry keeps going back and forth on what
the appropriate answer is, or worse, could be, or even more scary, is
likely to be. In the end, either nothing is done, or costly mistakes happen.

Only a handful of folk have the time, energy and skills to dig into the
minutiae and follow the technical community on defining solutions at a
very low level. Everybody else just wants to know if it will work and
how much it will cost.

Meanwhile, homegrown automation solutions that do not follow any
standard continue to be seen as a "stop-gap", not realizing that,
perhaps, what works for me now is what works for me, period.

I'm not saying operators aren't automating. I'm saying my automating is
not your automating. As long as we are both happy with the solutions we
have settled on for automating, despite them not being the same or
following a similar standard, what's wrong with that? There are other
pressing matters that need our attention.

Mark.