Wow, this could be magic!

http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2841

I think I'll give it a try.
Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
Let us know how you go.

Rob Fisher

On 28 Aug 2016 4:36 pm, "Nick Rout" <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow, this could be magic!
>
> http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2841
>
> I think I'll give it a try.

Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
I encourage everyone to try it, as the post says, use it or lose it!

Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
Can you point us to a "how to"?

Rob Fisher

Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
Signing up to it now!

Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
Has anyone been able to register. To register you have to be able to answer
the following question:

Create a nonsense word using the third letter of bedazzle and the letter
that's next to itself.:

Nothing I try seems to work?

They are asking people to register interest and at the same time making it
imposable to register!

Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
On 28/08/16 21:17, Tim Lockyer wrote:
> Has anyone been able to register. To register you have to be able to
> answer the following question:
>
> Create a nonsense word using the third letter of bedazzle and the
> letter that's next to itself.:
>
> Nothing I try seems to work?
>
> They are asking people to register interest and at the same time
> making it imposable to register!

What on earth are you signing up for ? I created an account, used the
activation code, and emailed the address in the original link.
No stupid questions, other than a captcha on the account creation screem.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/
Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
You need to go to www.schedulesdirect.org to register. The nonsense
question comes up when you try to register for forums.schedulesdirect.org

Rory

Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
I signed up this morning. It was very easy and within minutes, I had an
activation code emailed to me. I then email rkulagow and again within
minutes he emailed a coupon code, which I entered.

What I can't figure out now is how to add a lineup for the NZ channels.

Has anyone got this part working?
Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
I am keen to give it a try too but my inexperience (with MythTV) has
allowed me to get burnt a few times so I would really like a howto or some
advice on changing my video source to schedules direct.
Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
On 29/08/16 07:29, Paul Kendall wrote:
> I signed up this morning. It was very easy and within minutes, I had an
> activation code emailed to me. I then email rkulagow and again within
> minutes he emailed a coupon code, which I entered.
>
> What I can't figure out now is how to add a lineup for the NZ channels.
>
> Has anyone got this part working?

This wiki article (UK based) seems to give some clues for those with
development skills.

Tony Sauri

Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
On 29/08/16 19:03, Tony Sauri wrote:
> On 29/08/16 07:29, Paul Kendall wrote:
>> I signed up this morning. It was very easy and within minutes, I had an
>> activation code emailed to me. I then email rkulagow and again within
>> minutes he emailed a coupon code, which I entered.
>>
>> What I can't figure out now is how to add a lineup for the NZ channels.
>>
>> Has anyone got this part working?
From http://schedulesdirect.org/lineups/add

*NOTE:*If you are using the JSON service you do not need to add a lineup
through the website; lineup management in the JSON service is done
through your client.
Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
On 29/08/16 19:24, Tony Sauri wrote:
> On 29/08/16 19:09, Robert Fisher wrote:

>> From http://schedulesdirect.org/lineups/add
>>

> Yes I have seen that too. I read that we have to:
>
> A) Upgrade XMLTV to appropriate levels that will work with JSON
> B) Build the SD JSON XMLTV Grabber (The client referenced above).
> C) Run the grabber to configure for your site.
>
> I will get on my test system shortly to try and nut it all out. If
> successful I will post a cheat sheet.
>
> Tony

Sorry
I left the following links out of my prior messages

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Migrating_to_Schedules_Direct_in_the_UK
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Video_Sources

As I said before these links will probably be helpful and provide clues
about what to do next to people who have some development experience.

Tony

Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
On 30 August 2016 at 10:02, Tony Sauri <hoiho.nz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry
> I left the following links out of my prior messages
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Migrating_to_Schedules_Direct_in_the_UK
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Video_Sources
>
> As I said before these links will probably be helpful and provide clues
> about what to do next to people who have some development experience.

It would be great (for people like me without the development experience)
if someone could test and confirm that those Wiki posts are appropriate for
us.

--
Robert Fisher
Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
On 30 August 2016 at 14:05, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:

> On 30 August 2016 at 10:02, Tony Sauri <hoiho.nz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Sorry
>> I left the following links out of my prior messages
>>
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Migrating_to_Schedules_Direct_in_the_UK
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Video_Sources
>>
>> As I said before these links will probably be helpful and provide clues
>> about what to do next to people who have some development experience.
>

> It would be great (for people like me without the development experience) if
> someone could test and confirm that those Wiki posts are appropriate for us.
>

> --
> Robert Fisher

N00b question perhaps - but what is the advantage (practical, legal,
moral etc) of using Schedules Direct over tv_grab_nz.py?

I'm trying to work out if it is worth the learning curve /
reconfiguration over my current working setup which is missing EPG
data for some channels (Bravo +1, Te Reo et al).

Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 22:10:33 +1200, you wrote:

>On 30 August 2016 at 14:05, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
>>

>> On 30 August 2016 at 10:02, Tony Sauri <hoiho.nz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Sorry
>>> I left the following links out of my prior messages
>>>
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Migrating_to_Schedules_Direct_in_the_UK
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Video_Sources
>>>
>>> As I said before these links will probably be helpful and provide clues
>>> about what to do next to people who have some development experience.
>>

>> It would be great (for people like me without the development experience) if
>> someone could test and confirm that those Wiki posts are appropriate for us.
>>

>> --
>> Robert Fisher

>N00b question perhaps - but what is the advantage (practical, legal,
>moral etc) of using Schedules Direct over tv_grab_nz.py?
>
>I'm trying to work out if it is worth the learning curve /
>reconfiguration over my current working setup which is missing EPG
>data for some channels (Bravo +1, Te Reo et al).

Generally SchedulesDirect is considered to produce better quality EPG.
I have yet to sign up and find out if that is the case for NZ though.
The standard NZ EPG is rather hit and miss, with not all channels
providing proper programid data so that you can avoid recording
repeats and things like that. Some channels here have even gone and
changed how they do programid data, resulting in recording of repeats
for any programme aired before the change. And the stupid "All New"
or "New: " or "Prime Presents" on the front of the title messes up
recording rules so you miss a new season of a programme when they do
that. Some of that is now stripped out in the downloaded EPG that we
have, but that is the sort of thing that SD is supposed to not have.

The Sky EPG is much worse than the Freeview EPG - the Freeview
channels have been gradually improving their EPG over the years, but
Sky has lots of channels with pretty hopeless EPG. So I am hoping
that SD may eventually also do the Sky channels, but as demand for
that is likely to be low, I think it is unlikely.

On the legal front, I would presume that SchedulesDirect or whoever
they get their EPG data (Tribune?) from will have made appropriate
arrangements with the original sources for NZ EPG and will have the
appropriate rights to provide it to us.

The problem I have with changing over to SD is that it is very likely
that their programid data will not match what I have in my database
from many years of recordings. So I will once again be getting lots
of repeats recording themselves. So I am intending (when I find a
spare moment) to use SD EPG on my test PC first, to see if the SD EPG
is sufficiently better that it is worth putting up with that problem.

I have already made myself a workaround for missing channels, where my
EPG script runs local mhepgsnoop EPG collection and also gets the
downloaded EPG. Where it finds a channel present in the MHEG5 data
and not in the downloaded EPG, it merges the MHEG5 data into the
downloaded data. It seems to be working well now, and if a missing
channel turns up in the downloaded EPG, I do not have to change
anything as the processing is all automatic. It does make my EPG
collection take a bit longer though.

Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 10:10 PM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 30 August 2016 at 14:05, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> >

> > On 30 August 2016 at 10:02, Tony Sauri <hoiho.nz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> Sorry
> >> I left the following links out of my prior messages
> >>
> >> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Migrating_to_Schedules_Direct_in_the_UK
> >> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Video_Sources
> >>
> >> As I said before these links will probably be helpful and provide clues
> >> about what to do next to people who have some development experience.
> >

> > It would be great (for people like me without the development
> experience) if
> > someone could test and confirm that those Wiki posts are appropriate for
> us.
> >

> > --
> > Robert Fisher

> N00b question perhaps - but what is the advantage (practical, legal,
> moral etc) of using Schedules Direct over tv_grab_nz.py?
>
> I'm trying to work out if it is worth the learning curve /
> reconfiguration over my current working setup which is missing EPG
> data for some channels (Bravo +1, Te Reo et al).

People watch Bravo???
Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
I'm not a developer, and I've got schedules direct up and running on my
Ubuntu 16.04 system.

Steps:

*0. Back everything up first!*

*1. Sign up for an accoun*t on www.schedulesdirect.org and follow the
instructions linked to above to get your 90 day voucher.

*2. Install xmltv 0.5.68-1 from Debian Sid* from here
https://packages.debian.org/sid/xmltv . There are 4 .deb packages you need:
xmltv, libxmltv-perl, xmltv-gui, xmltv-util.

Download these into a new folder, open a terminal, cd to that folder and
install them with "dpkg -i *.deb"

*3. Verify that the Schedules direct JSON module is now a recognised
grabber:*

tv_find_grabbers|grep json

should return:

/usr/bin/tv_grab_sd_json|Schedules Direct JSON API

*4. configure your Schedules direct grabber*

tv_grab_sd_json --configure

Follow the on screen prompts. I chose to use a "channels" config, rather
than a "lineup" config because I wanted a more fine-grained control over my
listings. I don't know whether this is worthwhile or not. YMMV.

This creates a .conf file in your ~/.xmltv folder

For convenience, I then created a symbolic link to this file in my .mythtv
folder

ln -s ~/.xmltv/tv_grab_sd_json.conf ~/.mythtv/SchedulesDirect.xmltv

The name of the link should match the name of the Video Source that you set
up in step 5 below.

In the end, I created two links in .mythtv and two Video Sources - one for
my DVB-T feed, and one for my DVB-S feed. This allows for different
channel configs between satellite and terrestrial.

*5. Add new video source(s) in mythtv-setup*

Set the "listings grabber" field to "Schedules Direct JSON API (xmltv)"

You also need a unique video source name that matches the symbolic link
name that you created in step 4 above. Do not click configure. Do not
check the "use EIT" box.

*6. Input connections *

Connect your existing capture cards to the video sources that you just
created. You should not need to scan for new channels or do any other
configuration here. Do not fetch channels from listing source.

*7. Channel editor.*

I managed to delete all of my channels and had to do a full channel scan on
both my satellite tuners and my HDHomeRun (sigh).

It would be better to edit your existing channels to include the Schedules
Direct channel IDs. Again, there may be a better way of doing it, but I
edited each channel one by one.

You need to enter the Schedules Direct Channel ID in the "XMLTV ID:" field.

You can get this info by running

tv_grab_sd_json | grep -A1 '<channel id="' > output.txt

Or, you can use the handy table that I've compiled already:
*XMLTV ID* *Display Name* *#*
INZ406723.json.schedulesdirect.org TV ONE 001
INZ406725.json.schedulesdirect.org TV2 002
INZ406726.json.schedulesdirect.org TV3 003
INZ431675.json.schedulesdirect.org Bravo 004
INZ406728.json.schedulesdirect.org Maori Television 005
INZ430333.json.schedulesdirect.org TVONE +1 006
INZ431132.json.schedulesdirect.org TV2 +1 007
INZ406735.json.schedulesdirect.org TV3 PLUS 1 008
INZ431676.json.schedulesdirect.org Bravo Plus 1 009
INZ410759.json.schedulesdirect.org Prime NZ 010
INZ431295.json.schedulesdirect.org The Edge TV 011
INZ429922.json.schedulesdirect.org Choice TV 012
INZ431540.json.schedulesdirect.org DUKE 013
INZ431179.json.schedulesdirect.org Te Reo 015
INZ431268.json.schedulesdirect.org Al Jazeera NZ 016
INZ431677.json.schedulesdirect.org HGTV 017
INZ430670.json.schedulesdirect.org Firstlight 026
INZ431608.json.schedulesdirect.org Hope Channel 027
INZ406728.json.schedulesdirect.org Parliament TV 031
INZ431075.json.schedulesdirect.org Canterbury Television 040
INZ406795.json.schedulesdirect.org Radio NZ National 050
INZ406796.json.schedulesdirect.org Radio NZ Concert 051
INZ406797.json.schedulesdirect.org Base FM 071

*8. Fill your boots / database*

close mythtv-setup, restart your backend cross your appendages and run:

mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all

All the usual disclaimers apply. I am not an expert, this is simply what
has worked for me.

The Schedules Direct data does seem to be of a higher quality, and my
recording rules still seem to work. There is no guide data for Shine TV,
nor for some of the regional channels such as Dunedin TV.

Anecdotally yours,

Rory

Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
I also have that table in csv format if you are interested.

And I have downloaded and tweaked the channel logos from
http://www.freeviewnz.tv/tvguide/channels if you are interested in these.

I was not sure of the rules about attachments on this mailing list, so I
haven't attached anything.

Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 08:14:08 +1200, you wrote:

>> N00b question perhaps - but what is the advantage (practical, legal,
>> moral etc) of using Schedules Direct over tv_grab_nz.py?
>>
>> I'm trying to work out if it is worth the learning curve /
>> reconfiguration over my current working setup which is missing EPG
>> data for some channels (Bravo +1, Te Reo et al).
>>

>People watch Bravo???

More likely just people like me who are a bit on the perfectionist
side of things and want all channels to have EPG.

Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
On 31 August 2016 at 10:53, Rory Grant <rorzer@gmail.com> wrote:

> You need to enter the Schedules Direct Channel ID in the "XMLTV ID:" field.

So is the Channel ID (for example)
406723
or
INZ406723
or
INZ406723.json.schedulesdirect.org

and is it easier to edit these in Mythweb?
Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:53:03 +1200, you wrote:

>I'm not a developer, and I've got schedules direct up and running on my
>Ubuntu 16.04 system.
[snip]
>*2. Install xmltv 0.5.68-1 from Debian Sid* from here
>https://packages.debian.org/sid/xmltv . There are 4 .deb packages you need:
>xmltv, libxmltv-perl, xmltv-gui, xmltv-util.

If you have turned on the option for xmltv updates Mythbuntu Control
Centre, you should already have at least xmltv 0.5.67-1 (which is what
I have in 14.04) which has the json grabbers. In that case, is there
a reason to want 0.5.68-1?

Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
On 31 August 2016 at 13:00, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> If you have turned on the option for xmltv updates Mythbuntu Control
> Centre, you should already have at least xmltv 0.5.67-1 (which is what
> I have in 14.04) which has the json grabbers. In that case, is there
> a reason to want 0.5.68-1?

dpkg -l xmltv on my system shows that I have *0.5.67-0.1*
but tv-find_grabbers does not find the json one.

Is 0.5.67-1 correct? (I assumed it might be a typo)
Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
On 31 Aug 2016 12:29, "Stephen Worthington" <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 08:14:08 +1200, you wrote:
>
> >> N00b question perhaps - but what is the advantage (practical, legal,
> >> moral etc) of using Schedules Direct over tv_grab_nz.py?
> >>
> >> I'm trying to work out if it is worth the learning curve /
> >> reconfiguration over my current working setup which is missing EPG
> >> data for some channels (Bravo +1, Te Reo et al).
> >>

> >People watch Bravo???
>
> More likely just people like me who are a bit on the perfectionist
> side of things and want all channels to have EPG.

Yep. This would be my main reason for switching.
Re: Schedules Direct trial for NZ [ In reply to ]
OK,

the mythbuntu xmltv repository config seems to have been upset by my
upgrade to 16.04

Although the xmltv updates repository was checked in mythbuntu control
centre, checking in synaptic, it was still pointing to the 15.10
repository, and was disabled.

Subsequently I unchecked the xmltv repository in mythbuntu control centre,
and clicked to apply changes. I then reversed this, checking the box and
applying changes again. a quick apt-get update and the xmltv repo was back
online.

I can confirm that the 0.5.67-1 version on this repo does include the
/usr/bin/tv_grab_sd_json binary

Thanks Stephen.

Rory