i got:
"Download failed (28)
"getcvd: Can't download daily.cvd from https://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd
Thu Jan 23 16:54:54 2020 -> Trying again in 5 secs.."

Can you help me to solve this issue?

Best Regards: Tomasz
Re: [clamav-users] Problem to update virus database [ In reply to ]
On 24.01.20 11:10, Tomasz Mejer via clamav-users wrote:
>I have installed ClamAV on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS machine. I can't update
>virus database update.
>When I run:
>
>sudo freshclam

you should not run freshclam under root user. You should keep it for
freshclam daemon. This way you can prevent the aemon from running properly,
because of permission problems.

>i got:
>"Download failed (28)
>"getcvd: Can't download daily.cvd from https://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd

try running 'https://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd' in /tmp
to see if it's accessible for you.

- Holmes, what kind of school did you study to be a detective?
- Elementary, Watkins. -- Daffy Duck & Porky Pig

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Problem to update virus database [ In reply to ]
Hi

We see this failure to update on both Centros 6 and 7

If you stop and start fresh clam or touch the files, the issue goes away for a few days

If this email I’m sending appears on the list emails, I will email again with debug trial and show all rights/permissions are correct on the folders

Many thanks

John

Sent using DEMS.

> On 24 Jan 2020, at 10:55, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote:
>
>> On 24.01.20 11:10, Tomasz Mejer via clamav-users wrote:
>> I have installed ClamAV on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS machine. I can't update
>> virus database update.
>> When I run:
>>
>> sudo freshclam
>
> you should not run freshclam under root user. You should keep it for
> freshclam daemon. This way you can prevent the aemon from running properly,
> because of permission problems.
>
>> i got:
>> "Download failed (28)
>> "getcvd: Can't download daily.cvd from https://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd
>
> try running 'https://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd' in /tmp
> to see if it's accessible for you.
>
> --
> Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
> - Holmes, what kind of school did you study to be a detective?
> - Elementary, Watkins. -- Daffy Duck & Porky Pig

> http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml

The content of this email are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential and which may also be privileged. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to received for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it. Further, we make every effort to keep our network free from viruses, and all email passes through full antivirus, content and spam filters. However, you do need to scan this email and any attachments to it for viruses as we can take no responsibility for any computer virus, which might be transferred by way of this email.

This email has been sent using DEMS, if you would like to start using DEMS, please email Doc2disk Ltd for prices (sales@doc2disk.com).

Re: [clamav-users] Problem to update virus database [ In reply to ]
On 24.01.20 11:22, Doc2disk wrote:
>We see this failure to update on both Centros 6 and 7
>
>If you stop and start fresh clam or touch the files, the issue goes away for a few days

if centos uses different user for freshclam updates as debian (and
presumably ubuntu), you may cause the issue by touching the files.

note that updates seem switched from http to https, so you may need clamav
to access https too (and fir possible intercepting proxy issues).

>If this email I’m sending appears on the list emails, I will email again with debug trial and show all rights/permissions are correct on the folders

>> On 24 Jan 2020, at 10:55, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote:
>>
>>> On 24.01.20 11:10, Tomasz Mejer via clamav-users wrote:
>>> I have installed ClamAV on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS machine. I can't update
>>> virus database update.
>>> When I run:
>>>
>>> sudo freshclam
>>
>> you should not run freshclam under root user. You should keep it for
>> freshclam daemon. This way you can prevent the aemon from running properly,
>> because of permission problems.
>>
>>> i got:
>>> "Download failed (28)
>>> "getcvd: Can't download daily.cvd from https://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd
>>
>> try running 'https://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd' in /tmp
>> to see if it's accessible for you.
Nothing is fool-proof to a talented fool.

Re: [clamav-users] Problem to update virus database [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020, Doc2disk wrote:

> We see this failure to update on both Centros 6 and 7
> If you stop and start fresh clam or touch the files, the issue goes away for a few days

I do not understand these symptoms. What timeouts are you using?
(See below.)

>> On 24 Jan 2020, at 10:55, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote:
>>> On 24.01.20 11:10, Tomasz Mejer via clamav-users wrote:
>>> I have installed ClamAV on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS machine. I can't update
>>> virus database update.
>>> When I run:
>>>
>>> sudo freshclam
>>
>> you should not run freshclam under root user.

Best to create a separate user such as 'clamav' for this stuff.

>>> i got:
>>> "Download failed (28)
>>> "getcvd: Can't download daily.cvd from https://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd

If you enable debug logging you may see more helpful information.
When I see (28) it seems to mean that a timeout has been reached.
Perhaps you can increase the two timeouts in the freshclam daemon
configuration (and I suggest that you then restart the daemon).

The timeouts provided by default are I believe too short, I use 1800
seconds and 600 seconds:

root@pi4b302:~# grep -i timeout /etc/mail/clamav/freshclam.conf
ConnectTimeout 600
ReceiveTimeout 1800

(Yes, this is ClamAV running on a Raspberry Pi4B. :)

>> try running 'https://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd' in /tmp

I think that should read something like

"try running 'wget https://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd'"

HTH

--

73,
Ged.

Re: [clamav-users] Problem to update virus database [ In reply to ]
Hi

Many thanks

Please see a snapshot of the debug freshclam log

I think this is the issue but uid/gid is correct for 244 and has full
rewrite on folders

Can't create new file
/var/clamav/tmp/clamav-61f7880d2549a998be74b30d38fe6fc5.tmp in /var/clamav
Hint: The database directory must be writable for UID 244 or GID 244

As I said, if you stop and start freshclam or touch .cvd files it updates
for around a week and then same issue appears again

I do not think it is a time out issue and these servers are situated in a
datacentre on 1 GB link to internet and the default time values would be
used as they are hashed out

I am sorry if I am wrong

Many thanks

John

folder perms

drwxr-xr-x. 3 clamav clamav 4096 Jan 23 15:16 clamav
-rw-r--r-- 1 clamav clamav 296388 Nov 21 12:51 bytecode.cvd
-rw-r--r-- 1 clamav clamav 58022101 Jan 23 15:15 daily.cvd
-rw-r--r-- 1 clamav clamav 117859675 Nov 26 07:38 main.cvd
drwxr-xr-x 2 clamav clamav 4096 Jan 23 15:16 tmp

grep -i timeout /etc/freshclam.conf
# Timeout in seconds when connecting to database server.
#ConnectTimeout 60
# Timeout in seconds when reading from database server.
#ReceiveTimeout 300

Freshclam running normally

wake up
ClamAV update process started at Mon Jan 20 07:21:30 2020
WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.102.0 Recommended version: 0.102.1
DON'T PANIC! Read https://www.clamav.net/documents/upgrading-clamav
daily.cvd database is up to date (version: 25700, sigs: 2148000, f-level:
63, builder: raynman)
main.cvd database is up to date (version: 59, sigs: 4564902, f-level: 60,
builder: sigmgr)
bytecode.cvd database is up to date (version: 331, sigs: 94, f-level: 63,
builder: anvilleg)
--------------------------------------
Received signal: wake up
ClamAV update process started at Mon Jan 20 09:21:30 2020
WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.102.0 Recommended version: 0.102.1
DON'T PANIC! Read https://www.clamav.net/documents/upgrading-clamav
daily.cvd database is up to date (version: 25700, sigs: 2148000, f-level:
63, builder: raynman)
main.cvd database is up to date (version: 59, sigs: 4564902, f-level: 60,
builder: sigmgr)
bytecode.cvd database is up to date (version: 331, sigs: 94, f-level: 63,
builder: anvilleg)
--------------------------------------

freshclam debug error

Received signal: wake up
ClamAV update process started at Mon Jan 20 11:21:30 2020
WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.102.0 Recommended version: 0.102.1
DON'T PANIC! Read https://www.clamav.net/documents/upgrading-clamav
daily.cvd database is up to date (version: 25700, sigs: 2148000, f-level:
63, builder: raynman)
main.cvd database is up to date (version: 59, sigs: 4564902, f-level: 60,
builder: sigmgr)
bytecode.cvd database is up to date (version: 331, sigs: 94, f-level: 63,
builder: anvilleg)
--------------------------------------
Received signal: wake up
ClamAV update process started at Mon Jan 20 13:21:30 2020
WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.102.0 Recommended version: 0.102.1
DON'T PANIC! Read https://www.clamav.net/documents/upgrading-clamav
daily database available for update (local version: 25700, remote version:
25701)
ERROR: downloadFile: Can't create new file
/var/clamav/tmp/clamav-0636ba9bf0c524ebd0f0af59117dabf9.tmp in /var/clamav
Hint: The database directory must be writable for UID 244 or GID 244
WARNING: getcvd: Can't download daily.cvd from
https://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd
ERROR: Unexpected error when attempting to update database: daily
WARNING: fc_update_databases: fc_update_database failed: Failed to
read/write file to database directory (10)
ERROR: Database update process failed: Failed to read/write file to database
directory (10)
ERROR: Update failed.
--------------------------------------
Received signal: wake up
ClamAV update process started at Mon Jan 20 15:21:30 2020

Re: [clamav-users] Problem to update virus database [ In reply to ]
On 24/01/2020 23:40, john@doc2disk.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> Many thanks
>
> Please see a snapshot of the debug freshclam log

[SNIP]
This looks a lot like what I had a problem with, running freshclam
manually would cause the daemon to fail.

Try stopping all of the clamav daemons, have a cup of tea, and re-start
them, this cleared up my problem.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Re: [clamav-users] Problem to update virus database [ In reply to ]
Hi Gary

Many thanks and sorry, I may not have explained fully

We do not run or test using root. It is always run as clamav and is integrated into a hosting control panel. So is very easy to stop start restart as correct user (clamav)

Only sys admins has access to full server which we are

Thank you so much for your help, it is appreciated

Many thanks

John

Sent using DEMS.

Re: [clamav-users] Problem to update virus database [ In reply to ]
On 24.01.20 12:40, john@doc2disk.com wrote:
>I think this is the issue but uid/gid is correct for 244 and has full
>rewrite on folders
>
>Can't create new file
>/var/clamav/tmp/clamav-61f7880d2549a998be74b30d38fe6fc5.tmp in /var/clamav
>Hint: The database directory must be writable for UID 244 or GID 244

you apparently created either dirs /var/clamav/tmp/clamav-61f7880d2549a998be74b30d38fe6fc5.tmp
when ran freshclam under root. do:

ls -la /var/clamav/tmp/

The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.

Re: [clamav-users] Problem to update virus database [ In reply to ]
Hi Matus

Many thanks, much appreciated

Please see result which is showing clamav and we do not run freshclam under
root - it is run under clamav (244)

I am sorry if I am wrong and thank everyone for their help

Many thanks

John

ls -la /var/clamav/tmp
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 clamav clamav 4096 Jan 23 15:16 .
drwxr-xr-x. 3 clamav clamav 4096 Jan 23 15:16 ..

for fullness

ls -la /var/clamav
total 172072
drwxr-xr-x. 3 clamav clamav 4096 Jan 23 15:16 .
drwxr-xr-x. 26 root root 4096 Sep 24 2018 ..

Re: [clamav-users] Problem to update virus database [ In reply to ]
Is SELinux involved?

Am 24.01.20 um 14:03 schrieb john@doc2disk.com:
> Hi Matus
>
> Many thanks, much appreciated
>
> Please see result which is showing clamav and we do not run freshclam under
> root - it is run under clamav (244)
>
> I am sorry if I am wrong and thank everyone for their help
>
> Many thanks
>
> John
>
> ls -la /var/clamav/tmp
> total 8
> drwxr-xr-x 2 clamav clamav 4096 Jan 23 15:16 .
> drwxr-xr-x. 3 clamav clamav 4096 Jan 23 15:16 ..
>
> for fullness
>
> ls -la /var/clamav
> total 172072
> drwxr-xr-x. 3 clamav clamav 4096 Jan 23 15:16 .
> drwxr-xr-x. 26 root root 4096 Sep 24 2018 ..
> -rw-r--r-- 1 clamav clamav 296388 Nov 21 12:51 bytecode.cvd
> -rw-r--r-- 1 clamav clamav 58022101 Jan 23 15:15 daily.cvd
> -rw-r--r-- 1 clamav clamav 117859675 Nov 26 07:38 main.cvd
> drwxr-xr-x 2 clamav clamav 4096 Jan 23 15:16 tmp

Tilman Schmidt
Teamleiter IT Operations

Tel. 0221 / 95 64 95 .417
Fax 0221 / 95 64 95 .999
e-Mail tilman.schmidt@concardis.com

Concardis GmbH
Richard-Byrd-Straße 37
50829 Köln

Re: [clamav-users] Problem to update virus database [ In reply to ]
Hi Tillman

Many thanks, much appreciated

Sorry no, sel is not in use (it was many years ago but moved on and dropped)

Many thanks

John

Sent using DEMS.

Re: [clamav-users] Problem to update virus database [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020, john@doc2disk.com wrote:

> for fullness
>
> ls -la /var/clamav
> total 172072
> drwxr-xr-x. 3 clamav clamav 4096 Jan 23 15:16 .
> drwxr-xr-x. 26 root root 4096 Sep 24 2018 ..
> -rw-r--r-- 1 clamav clamav 296388 Nov 21 12:51 bytecode.cvd
> -rw-r--r-- 1 clamav clamav 58022101 Jan 23 15:15 daily.cvd
> -rw-r--r-- 1 clamav clamav 117859675 Nov 26 07:38 main.cvd
> drwxr-xr-x 2 clamav clamav 4096 Jan 23 15:16 tmp

I wonder if this is the same issue that was mentioned a week or two
ago on the list, where I think (from a very imperfect memory) manually
running freshclam fails to delete the 'tmp' directory after running,
which causes a later automated attempt to create it to fail (because
the attempt is coded poorly), but running freshclam as a daemon does
delete it, so a later attempt succeeds?

Perhaps you could try deleting the 'tmp' directory.

If this is the issue, I believe there's a ticket to fix it already.

--

73,
Ged.

Re: [clamav-users] Problem to update virus database [ In reply to ]
Thank you for your response.

When I run freshclamwithout user I got:
"Can't create temporary directory /var/lib/clamav/tmp Hint: The database
directory must be writable for UID 1000 or GID 1000"
Should I change var/lib/clamav folder chmod to make it possible?
I handled to download daily.cvd <https://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd>' in
/tmp. What can I do with this file now? Sorry for stupid questions. I'm not
advanced Linux user.

pt., 24 sty 2020 o 11:56 Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk>
napisa?(a):

Re: [clamav-users] Problem to update virus database [ In reply to ]
On 25.01.20 11:15, Tomasz Mejer via clamav-users wrote:
>When I run freshclamwithout user I got:
>"Can't create temporary directory /var/lib/clamav/tmp Hint: The database
>directory must be writable for UID 1000 or GID 1000"
>Should I change var/lib/clamav folder chmod to make it possible?

no, you should not run freshclam manually and let the system cron jobs do
that instead.

under ubuntu, you should run "chown -R clamav: /var/lib/clamav"