Mailing List Archive

Kickoff message
Hello everybody,

I see this list is gaining subscribers rapidly, and since I said I'd
try to make it interesting, I feel responsible to send a message. :)

I'll start with a status update on various Zope/XML matters that
I know something about.

Firstly there's ParsedXML; it's been languishing away for months now
without much happening to it at all. I was sitting on a large patch
that speeds up the DOM/Zope interface by a lot, and wanted to clean
up other stuff, but I couldn't do it very well as I didn't have
CVS access. Recently that changed. :)

So, my speedup patch is now sitting in a branch in the CVS, waiting to
be integrated with the ParsedXML mainline. In a sandbox on my machine
I've also restructured the unit test suite of ParsedXML to be more
conformant with the Zope guidelines (as soon as I bugged people enough
so they would actually describe the guidelines on this :). Lots of
tests currently fail with Python 2.1 (and thus Zope 2.4), and we
need to fix that too.

I hope I can move things so we can do a new release by next week sometime,
hopefully working a bit better with Zope 2.4, but that doesn't depend
on me only so I may be completely off.

Another recent development has been XPath Methods. If you manage to install
all the dependencies for PyXML and 4Suite and the phase of the moon is right,
XPath Methods will allow you to do XPath queries against ParsedXML and
possibly in the future also other DOMs, maybe even an all new ZDOM
layer over common Zope objects..

Anyway, all of this needs lots of help and there are many other things
to be integrated well (XSLT comes to mind), so I will leave the floor for
a while to let you all discuss how we're to approach things. :)

I hope we'll have a healthy cooperation! Let's hope the whole Zope XML
integration can sustain some development momentum this time. For this
open source style participation seems to be needed.

Regards,

Martijn