Zope Corp.
540-361-1722
david@zope.com

Re: zope.org migration [ In reply to ]
--On 13. Juni 2008 04:17:28 -0400 David Lawson <david@zope.com> wrote:

> We've completed the zope.org migration, the site is responding,
> mail.zope.org is up and looks to be processing mail, as well as serving
> the list archives and all just fine, and I can see people logging in to
> cvs so everything looks good. The instances running www.zope.org are
> more than a bit slow at the moment because they lost their object caches,
> so I've got a monitor running on them to put the caches in offline mode
> to let the instances recover a bit when they get backed up. All in all,
> while this took a little longer than I was anticipating, it went quite
> smoothly.

There is an issue with the catalog queue. Workflow changes and new objects
within the Plone were not reflected directly. So I had to process the
catalog queue manually. The queue said "3 objects in queue". After
processing the queue say "empty"...going back to the Queue tabs tells me "3
objects in queue"...anything missing?

Andreas
Re: zope.org migration [ In reply to ]
--On 14. Juni 2008 11:35:46 +0200 Andreas Jung <lists@zopyx.com> wrote:

> --On 13. Juni 2008 04:17:28 -0400 David Lawson <david@zope.com> wrote:
>
>> We've completed the zope.org migration, the site is responding,
>> mail.zope.org is up and looks to be processing mail, as well as serving
>> the list archives and all just fine, and I can see people logging in to
>> cvs so everything looks good. The instances running www.zope.org are
>> more than a bit slow at the moment because they lost their object caches,
>> so I've got a monitor running on them to put the caches in offline mode
>> to let the instances recover a bit when they get backed up. All in all,
>> while this took a little longer than I was anticipating, it went quite
>> smoothly.
>>

> There is an issue with the catalog queue. Workflow changes and new
> objects within the Plone were not reflected directly. So I had to process
> the catalog queue manually. The queue said "3 objects in queue". After
> processing the queue say "empty"...going back to the Queue tabs tells me
> "3 objects in queue"...anything missing?

There is also a weird issue with the caching. I am logged in as manager and
can access all edit features for the 2.11.0 release. Then when switching to
an older release package in order for copying over a newsitem as template,
Ihave no options available and treated as anonymous...reloading does not
help :->

Andreas
Re: zope.org migration [ In reply to ]
On Jun 15, 2008, at 02:10 , Andreas Jung wrote:

> There is also a weird issue with the caching. I am logged in as
> manager and can access all edit features for the 2.11.0 release.
> Then when switching to an older release package in order for copying
> over a newsitem as template, Ihave no options available and treated
> as anonymous...reloading does not help :->

I have a feeling both this and your earlier issue may be one and the
same (caching-related). The caching tier was (and remains) a shared
service set up by the Zope Corp admins and we have no access to it. I
bet it's set up to ignore forced reloads. This may be necessary to
guarantee good service performance. IMHO seeing some caching-related
issues in exchange for enjoying a redundantly configured caching tier
is a good tradeoff for the current site.

How this all will play with the new zope.org site isn't fully hashed
out yet.

jens

Re: zope.org migration [ In reply to ]
--On 15. Juni 2008 06:04:37 -0500 Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:

> IMHO seeing some caching-related issues in exchange
> for enjoying a redundantly configured caching tier is a good tradeoff for
> the current site.

The current caching makes it impossible to edit anything on zope.org in a
reasonable way.

Andreas
Re: zope.org migration [ In reply to ]
On Jun 15, 2008, at 06:09 , Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On 15. Juni 2008 06:04:37 -0500 Jens Vagelpohl
> <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:
>
>> IMHO seeing some caching-related issues in exchange
>> for enjoying a redundantly configured caching tier is a good
>> tradeoff for
>> the current site.
>
> The current caching makes it impossible to edit anything on zope.org
> in a reasonable way.

I have always been able to work with it using force-reload where
necessary, using Camino or Firefox. I know some other browsers like
Safari don't seem to be able to send a real force-reload, so I gave up
on those for zope.org editing work. I have to admit I have not done
any editing work after this move, but I have been able to log in and
get to folder content views etc with all logged-in options intact and
visible.

If you are using a suitable browser that can issue "real" forced
reloads and you still see a problem let us know, David (or some other
ZC SA) will have to look into it then.

jens

Re: zope.org migration [ In reply to ]
--On 15. Juni 2008 06:16:52 -0500 Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2008, at 06:09 , Andreas Jung wrote:
>

>> --On 15. Juni 2008 06:04:37 -0500 Jens Vagelpohl
>> <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:
>>
>>> IMHO seeing some caching-related issues in exchange
>>> for enjoying a redundantly configured caching tier is a good
>>> tradeoff for
>>> the current site.
>>
>> The current caching makes it impossible to edit anything on zope.org
>> in a reasonable way.
>
> I have always been able to work with it using force-reload where
> necessary, using Camino or Firefox. I know some other browsers like
> Safari don't seem to be able to send a real force-reload, so I gave up on
> those for zope.org editing work. I have to admit I have not done any
> editing work after this move, but I have been able to log in and get to
> folder content views etc with all logged-in options intact and visible.
>
> If you are using a suitable browser that can issue "real" forced reloads
> and you still see a problem let us know, David (or some other ZC SA) will
> have to look into it then.

I am always using suitable tools :-) Using Firefox here.

I am logged in as ajung.

<http://zope.org/Products/Zope/2.11.0>
shows up with all Plohn edit options.

<http://zope.org/Products/Zope/2.10.6/>
does not.

Even worser:

wget "http://zope.org/Products/Zope/2.11.0/folder_contents"

returns the page from the cache rendered within _my_ user context.
That's totally broken :-)

Andreas
Re: zope.org migration [ In reply to ]
--On 15. Juni 2008 13:25:51 +0200 Andreas Jung <lists@zopyx.com> wrote:

> --On 15. Juni 2008 06:16:52 -0500 Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org>
> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 15, 2008, at 06:09 , Andreas Jung wrote:
>>

>>> --On 15. Juni 2008 06:04:37 -0500 Jens Vagelpohl

>>> The current caching makes it impossible to edit anything on zope.org
>>> in a reasonable way.
>>
>> I have always been able to work with it using force-reload where
>> necessary, using Camino or Firefox. I know some other browsers like
>> Safari don't seem to be able to send a real force-reload, so I gave up on
>> those for zope.org editing work. I have to admit I have not done any
>> editing work after this move, but I have been able to log in and get to
>> folder content views etc with all logged-in options intact and visible.
>>
>> If you are using a suitable browser that can issue "real" forced reloads
>> and you still see a problem let us know, David (or some other ZC SA) will
>> have to look into it then.
>
> I am always using suitable tools :-) Using Firefox here.
>
> I am logged in as ajung.
>
> <http://zope.org/Products/Zope/2.11.0>
> shows up with all Plohn edit options.
>
> <http://zope.org/Products/Zope/2.10.6/>
> does not.
>
> Even worser:
>
> wget "http://zope.org/Products/Zope/2.11.0/folder_contents"
>
> returns the page from the cache rendered within _my_ user context.
> That's totally broken :-)

What is the current status of this issue? It can not be that personalized
content (of authenticated users) is being cached and delivered to the
outside world. I still can not do anything on zope.org :->

Andreas
Re: zope.org migration [ In reply to ]
On Jun 19, 2008, at 20:53 , Andreas Jung wrote:

>> I am logged in as ajung.
>>
>> <http://zope.org/Products/Zope/2.11.0>
>> shows up with all Plohn edit options.
>>
>> <http://zope.org/Products/Zope/2.10.6/>
>> does not.
>>
>> Even worser:
>>
>> wget "http://zope.org/Products/Zope/2.11.0/folder_contents"
>>
>> returns the page from the cache rendered within _my_ user context.
>> That's totally broken :-)
>

> What is the current status of this issue? It can not be that
> personalized content (of authenticated users) is being cached and
> delivered to the outside world. I still can not do anything on
> zope.org :->

I do not know what the status is since I can't touch the caching tier
and have to rely on ZC admins to fix it. I'm CCing Dave Lawson.

Dave, is there a way to go back to the caching configuration that
existed before the move? The current caching is way too aggressive and
prevents people from doing any content creation and editing on zope.org.

Thanks!

jens

Re: zope.org migration [ In reply to ]
On Jun 19, 2008, at 2:59 PM, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On Jun 19, 2008, at 20:53 , Andreas Jung wrote:
>
>>> I am logged in as ajung.
>>>
>>> <http://zope.org/Products/Zope/2.11.0>
>>> shows up with all Plohn edit options.
>>>
>>> <http://zope.org/Products/Zope/2.10.6/>
>>> does not.
>>>
>>> Even worser:
>>>
>>> wget "http://zope.org/Products/Zope/2.11.0/folder_contents"
>>>
>>> returns the page from the cache rendered within _my_ user context.
>>> That's totally broken :-)
>>

>> What is the current status of this issue? It can not be that
>> personalized content (of authenticated users) is being cached and
>> delivered to the outside world. I still can not do anything on
>> zope.org :->
>
> I do not know what the status is since I can't touch the caching
> tier and have to rely on ZC admins to fix it. I'm CCing Dave Lawson.
>
> Dave, is there a way to go back to the caching configuration that
> existed before the move? The current caching is way too aggressive
> and prevents people from doing any content creation and editing on
> zope.org.

Well. I had a look and I can certainly see why you've noticed a
difference. zope.org, prior to the move, was essentially un-cached.
It had a very small cache configured on the children and the parents
were configured not to cache anything for zope.org at all. We can
certainly go back to that configuration if you'd like, it's a pretty
minimal change.

--Dave
Systems Administrator
Zope Corp.
540-361-1722
david@zope.com

Re: zope.org migration [ In reply to ]
On Jun 20, 2008, at 06:20 , David Lawson wrote:

>> Dave, is there a way to go back to the caching configuration that
>> existed before the move? The current caching is way too aggressive
>> and prevents people from doing any content creation and editing on
>> zope.org.
>
> Well. I had a look and I can certainly see why you've noticed a
> difference. zope.org, prior to the move, was essentially un-
> cached. It had a very small cache configured on the children and
> the parents were configured not to cache anything for zope.org at
> all. We can certainly go back to that configuration if you'd like,
> it's a pretty minimal change.

Please do. A slow zope.org is still better than an unusable
zope.org. ;-)

jens

Re: zope.org migration [ In reply to ]
On Jun 20, 2008, at 3:14 AM, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On Jun 20, 2008, at 06:20 , David Lawson wrote:
>
>>> Dave, is there a way to go back to the caching configuration that
>>> existed before the move? The current caching is way too aggressive
>>> and prevents people from doing any content creation and editing on
>>> zope.org.
>>
>> Well. I had a look and I can certainly see why you've noticed a
>> difference. zope.org, prior to the move, was essentially un-
>> cached. It had a very small cache configured on the children and
>> the parents were configured not to cache anything for zope.org at
>> all. We can certainly go back to that configuration if you'd like,
>> it's a pretty minimal change.
>
> Please do. A slow zope.org is still better than an unusable
> zope.org. ;-)

Fair enough, I'll have those done for you in a bit.

--Dave
Systems Administrator
Zope Corp.
540-361-1722