Zope Corp.
540-361-1722
david@zope.com

Re: Server migration [ In reply to ]
On Jun 10, 2008, at 17:08 , David Lawson wrote:

> We're planning on migrating the zope.org servers to a new facility
> sometime in the very near future and would like to get some input on
> timing and co-ordinate on DNS changes, since it looks like you all
> run the DNS masters. Ideally, I'd like to do this Thursday night,
> but I can understand if that's short notice for you, so if there's a
> time that'd work better for you, I'm open to re-scheduling. The
> primary upside of this move is that we'll be able to provide root
> level access to the servers once they've been migrated, something
> that I know has been a desire for some time.
>
> Would late Thursday night be acceptable to you? And who do I need
> to co-ordinate DNS changes with?

I'll handle it on this end since I'm currently on Central Standard
Time and it'll be easier to coordinate. David, what timeframe Thursday
night are you thinking about?

jens

Re: Server migration [ In reply to ]
On Jun 10, 2008, at 6:51 PM, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2008, at 17:08 , David Lawson wrote:
>
>> We're planning on migrating the zope.org servers to a new facility
>> sometime in the very near future and would like to get some input
>> on timing and co-ordinate on DNS changes, since it looks like you
>> all run the DNS masters. Ideally, I'd like to do this Thursday
>> night, but I can understand if that's short notice for you, so if
>> there's a time that'd work better for you, I'm open to re-
>> scheduling. The primary upside of this move is that we'll be able
>> to provide root level access to the servers once they've been
>> migrated, something that I know has been a desire for some time.
>>
>> Would late Thursday night be acceptable to you? And who do I need
>> to co-ordinate DNS changes with?
>
> I'll handle it on this end since I'm currently on Central Standard
> Time and it'll be easier to coordinate. David, what timeframe
> Thursday night are you thinking about?

Generally I like to start at eleven since it's late enough for traffic
(in the US at least) to have dropped to a low point. Would that work
for you?

--Dave
Systems Administrator
Zope Corp.
540-361-1722
david@zope.com

Re: Server migration [ In reply to ]
On Jun 10, 2008, at 18:02 , David Lawson wrote:

>>> Would late Thursday night be acceptable to you? And who do I need
>>> to co-ordinate DNS changes with?
>>
>> I'll handle it on this end since I'm currently on Central Standard
>> Time and it'll be easier to coordinate. David, what timeframe
>> Thursday night are you thinking about?
>
> Generally I like to start at eleven since it's late enough for
> traffic (in the US at least) to have dropped to a low point. Would
> that work for you?

11 PM Thursday is fine. I'll email you a list of hostnames pointing to
the current ZC server(s), just for information.

jens

Re: Server migration [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 06:08:22PM -0400, David Lawson wrote:
> We're planning on migrating the zope.org servers to a new facility
> sometime in the very near future and would like to get some input on
> timing and co-ordinate on DNS changes, since it looks like you all run
> the DNS masters. Ideally, I'd like to do this Thursday night, but I can
> understand if that's short notice for you, so if there's a time that'd
> work better for you, I'm open to re-scheduling. The primary upside of
> this move is that we'll be able to provide root level access to the
> servers once they've been migrated, something that I know has been a
> desire for some time.
>
> Would late Thursday night be acceptable to you? And who do I need to
> co-ordinate DNS changes with?

Out of curiosity: does this involve the SVN server?

If yes: what's the planned downtime duration gonna be?

I guess you (or Jens) are going to do that anyways, but please make sure to
announce it on zope-dev.

Christian

--
Christian Theune · ct@gocept.com
Re: Server migration [ In reply to ]
On Jun 11, 2008, at 00:21 , Christian Theune wrote:
> Out of curiosity: does this involve the SVN server?
>
> If yes: what's the planned downtime duration gonna be?
>
> I guess you (or Jens) are going to do that anyways, but please make
> sure to
> announce it on zope-dev.

I don't know how long this will take, David may know more. David, do
you have any idea?

jens

Re: Server migration [ In reply to ]
On Jun 11, 2008, at 1:29 AM, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2008, at 00:21 , Christian Theune wrote:
>> Out of curiosity: does this involve the SVN server?
>>
>> If yes: what's the planned downtime duration gonna be?
>>
>> I guess you (or Jens) are going to do that anyways, but please make
>> sure to
>> announce it on zope-dev.
>
> I don't know how long this will take, David may know more. David, do
> you have any idea?

Because several of the machines are moving locations physically, it's
going to be about two hours or so. And yes, it does involve the SVN
server. We'll do everything we can to minimize the downtime involved,
but because of the physical move, there's a limit to how much time we
can save.

--Dave
Systems Administrator
Zope Corp.
540-361-1722
david@zope.com

Re: Server migration [ In reply to ]
On Jun 11, 2008, at 00:38 , David Lawson wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2008, at 1:29 AM, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>> I don't know how long this will take, David may know more. David,
>> do you have any idea?
>

> Because several of the machines are moving locations physically,
> it's going to be about two hours or so. And yes, it does involve
> the SVN server. We'll do everything we can to minimize the downtime
> involved, but because of the physical move, there's a limit to how
> much time we can save.

OK, it's just a matter of telling people beforehand. Out of curiosity,
where are the servers moving to?

jens

Re: Server migration [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:47:34AM -0500, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2008, at 00:38 , David Lawson wrote:
>

>> On Jun 11, 2008, at 1:29 AM, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>>> I don't know how long this will take, David may know more. David, do
>>> you have any idea?
>>

>> Because several of the machines are moving locations physically, it's
>> going to be about two hours or so. And yes, it does involve the SVN
>> server. We'll do everything we can to minimize the downtime involved,
>> but because of the physical move, there's a limit to how much time we
>> can save.
>
> OK, it's just a matter of telling people beforehand.

Exactly.

Time zone note: 11pm (Eastern, I guess) is around 5am CEST so 2 hours would
leave us at 7 in the morning, after that people start pouring into their
offices and might get affected by the downtime, so it's better they know.

Christian

--
Christian Theune · ct@gocept.com