Mailing List Archive

Re: the maintenance of change logs
Jim Fulton wrote:
> While I feel what I'm doing is still somewhat experimental, I'm happy to
write it down somewhere, if someone will tell me where. :)

How about

http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/FrontPage
-> Development process -> ChangeLogs

or just

http://zopewiki.org/JimsNotes

Incidentally I'd like to float the idea of moving zopewiki to (some
incarnation of) zope.org. Eg put it at zope.org/wiki and merge the links
from http://www.zope.org/Wikis/FrontPage . A zwiki product upgrade would be
needed. I'm cc'ing the websites group/list (and tried to set followup-to
there, but I use gmane so we'll see what happens..)

Cheers,
-Simon

Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
I'm +1 too, but think we can call it wiki.zope.org.

On 9/23/06, Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:

Lennart Regebro, Nuxeo http://www.nuxeo.com/
CPS Content Management http://www.cps-project.org/
Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
Hey,

I missed this so I'm very happy Jens cc-ed this onto this list.

> Incidentally I'd like to float the idea of moving zopewiki to (some
> incarnation of) zope.org. Eg put it at zope.org/wiki

> +1 on the idea, it wouldn't even have to be in the same Zope instance,
> rewrite rules can do the stitching-in.
>
> I'd assume this is more of a foundation decision, though?

Consider this a foundation decision, let's do it. zope.org/wiki is the
way to go.

Separate instance with rewrite rules sounds a good plan to me.

Jens, do you have enough zope.org fu to get this set up? Right now the
whole zope.org is technically a complete unknown to me. Right now the
implementation is the only thing stopping this from going ahead. :)

Regards,

Martijn
Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
This is all documented in subversion IIRC. Jim will know.

Andrew

Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
[snip]
> I don't know what the schedule is for the foundation to start hosting
> this, but I'd argue for starting the systems setup from scratch and
> adding new settings then.

We don't have a schedule yet. I agree that doing a systems setup with
community-understood components will be something we'll have to do at
some point.

I would like to be able to get things going before we redo the whole
hosting infrastructure, though... How much work do you think it would be
to set up the current zope.org on a new system?

Regards,

Martijn

Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
If it is simply taking what's running and set it up on a new set of servers,
it would be fairly trivial. There's 1 or 2 zeo client servers. There's a
storage server. There's cvs/svn and mail and ldap lives some where in that
mix. :) That's about it.

Andrew

Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
Andrew Sawyers wrote:
> This is all documented in subversion IIRC. Jim will know.

We need to make sure there are people in the foundation (besides Jim and
ZC) who know. I'll ask Jim.

Regards,

Martijn

Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
Read what I wrote. :)

Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
On 9/25/06, Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:
> I read what you wrote and I do not think it is trivial.

I agree. I'd guess that for somebody that knows the LDAP software
better than me, it might take a day or two. That's not "trivial". It's
also not "hard". I'd call it ehm, "Not too hard". :-)

Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
There's a lot more to it then LDAP. LDAP doesn't make it hard, it just
makes it harder.
The goal (or lack thereof) will make it hard or trivial. Regardless, I
didn't say rebuilding everything from scratch and sorting out the 'mess'. I
said if it's just resetting up on a different group of servers.

Regardless, it's always subjective - and it's not that hard. :)

Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]

For me it does. That's why I said "somebody that knows it better than me". :-)

> Regardless, it's always subjective - and it's not that hard. :)

"Not that hard" sounds like a reasonable compromise. :-)
Now, when we agree that this is "not that hard" do we think we should do it?

Personally, I don't care where www.zope.org is currently located, and
I also think we should replace it part by part with microsites, like
wiki.zope.org, bugs.zope.org, news.zope.org, products.zope.org and so
on, until www.zope.org gets useless, and we can move it to
old.zope.org and replace it with a new snazzy front-page, linking to
all the other sites.

Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
On 9/25/06 10:04 AM, "Lennart Regebro" <regebro@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/25/06, Andrew Sawyers <andrew@sawdog.com> wrote:
>> There's a lot more to it then LDAP. LDAP doesn't make it hard
>
> For me it does. That's why I said "somebody that knows it better than me". :-)
>
>> Regardless, it's always subjective - and it's not that hard. :)
>
> "Not that hard" sounds like a reasonable compromise. :-)
> Now, when we agree that this is "not that hard" do we think we should do it?
Not sure, what's the goal? :)

The reason it should be done, would be to improve the underlying hardware.
The other reason would be so that the community can manage all aspects of
it's setup. If it's still like it was, then parts of the architecture are
not going to be accessible by anyone in the community. If I were doing it,
I would put as little effort into the existing setup as possible and all
effort into where it's going.

> Personally, I don't care where www.zope.org is currently located, and
> I also think we should replace it part by part with microsites, like
> wiki.zope.org, bugs.zope.org, news.zope.org, products.zope.org and so
> on, until www.zope.org gets useless, and we can move it to
> old.zope.org and replace it with a new snazzy front-page, linking to
> all the other sites.
That's easily done with rewrite rules at the cache.

Andrew

Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
On 9/25/06, Andrew Sawyers <andrew@sawdog.com> wrote:
> The reason it should be done, would be to improve the underlying hardware.
> The other reason would be so that the community can manage all aspects of
> it's setup. If it's still like it was, then parts of the architecture are
> not going to be accessible by anyone in the community. If I were doing it,
> I would put as little effort into the existing setup as possible and all
> effort into where it's going.

I totaly agree with that.

Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On 9/25/06, Andrew Sawyers <andrew@sawdog.com> wrote:
>> The reason it should be done, would be to improve the underlying
>> hardware. The other reason would be so that the community can
>> manage all aspects of it's setup. If it's still like it was, then
>> parts of the architecture are not going to be accessible by anyone
>> in the community. If I were doing it, I would put as little effort
>> into the existing setup as possible and all effort into where it's
>> going.
>
> I totaly agree with that.

Me too. I'm trying to figure out how to get from here to there.
Preferably I just let zope.org be what it is, and surround it with stuff
that runs from new instances, either as foo.zope.org or zope.org/foo.

We have several candidates to run from other instances:

Particular applications:

planet.zope.org
wiki.zope.org

Fairly simple websites, at least to start out, later we can move to CMS:

www.zope.org/foundation
www.zope.org/zope3

and whatever our projects infrastructure will be like:

big projects:

www.zope.org/projects/cmf
www.zope.org/projects/zc.buildout

and smaller projects:

www.zope.org/projects/zc.resourcelibrary
www.zope.org/projects/zc.table

Regards,

Martijn

Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Andrew Sawyers wrote:
>> This is all documented in subversion IIRC. Jim will know.
>
> We need to make sure there are people in the foundation (besides Jim and
> ZC) who know. I'll ask Jim.

Actually strike out 'foundation' and read 'community' in the line above.

Regards,

Martijn

Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
We just need to resurface the svn location of the doc and update if
necessary.

Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
On Sep 25, 2006, at 6:38 AM, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On 25 Sep 2006, at 12:05, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> > Incidentally I'd like to float the idea of moving zopewiki to (some
>> > incarnation of) zope.org. Eg put it at zope.org/wiki
>>
>> > +1 on the idea, it wouldn't even have to be in the same Zope
>> instance,
>> > rewrite rules can do the stitching-in.
>> >
>> > I'd assume this is more of a foundation decision, though?
>>
>> Consider this a foundation decision, let's do it. zope.org/wiki is
>> the way to go.
>>
>> Separate instance with rewrite rules sounds a good plan to me.
>>
>> Jens, do you have enough zope.org fu to get this set up? Right now
>> the whole zope.org is technically a complete unknown to me. Right
>> now the implementation is the only thing stopping this from going
>> ahead. :)
>
> Unfortunately all the pieces "above" Zope, like rewrite setups, are
> out of reach and only accessible by ZC.

Right.

> I believe there's Squid in front, and the rewrites are handled by a
> rewriter process.

Yup.

> Additionally, there is no good information about the appserver
> tier, either. I was under the impression there were two, but when I
> tried to access them both I thought I always ended up on one and
> the same host.

There are 4 instances running on two hosts. There is a storage/LDAP
server. There is a pool of squid servers and load balancers. There
is the machine that goes by many names, including svn.zope.org,
cvs.zope.org, and mail.zope.org. The squid servers are load
balancers are shared with our commercial customers.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton mailto:jim@zope.com Python Powered!
CTO (540) 361-1714 http://www.python.org

Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
Andrew Sawyers wrote:
> We just need to resurface the svn location of the doc and update if
> necessary.

Working on getting it.

Regards,

Martijn
Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
On 9/25/06, Jim Fulton <jim@zope.com> wrote:
> > Unfortunately all the pieces "above" Zope, like rewrite setups, are
> > out of reach and only accessible by ZC.
>
> Right.

So... A minimum change would be to move name servering to somewhere
controlled by ZF?

Re: Re: the maintenance of change logs [ In reply to ]
Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On 9/25/06, Jim Fulton <jim@zope.com> wrote:
>> > Unfortunately all the pieces "above" Zope, like rewrite setups, are
>> > out of reach and only accessible by ZC.
>>
>> Right.
>
> So... A minimum change would be to move name servering to somewhere
> controlled by ZF?

Yes, this is something Jim actually just proposed as well.

Regards,

Martijn