year.

I think a community site that tries to do newsletters takes the risk of
going the way of ZWN. Unless someone is paid to do this, I think we better
not do it. A blog should be enough and even those aren't that easy to keep
updated.

We could also compile automatically some news items, Releases and
announcements and call them the newsletter.

Carlos de la Guardia
Re: new zope.org: zope newsletter [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 19 January 2006 14:40, Carlos de la Guardia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some comments about the idea of a Zope newsletter. Though it would
> be nice to have one, a newsletter may be too formal an undertaking for a
> community site.
>
> There was a time when the zope.org site presented a feature called Zope
> Weekly News, where the name "weekly" comes from a loose definition of week
> which refers to any period of days longer than a week and shorter than a
> year.
>
> I think a community site that tries to do newsletters takes the risk of
> going the way of ZWN. Unless someone is paid to do this, I think we better
> not do it. A blog should be enough and even those aren't that easy to keep
> updated.
>
> We could also compile automatically some news items, Releases and
> announcements and call them the newsletter.

i would think planetzope.org fits this description nicely

Re: new zope.org: zope newsletter [ In reply to ]
bakhtiar a hamid wrote:
> On Thursday 19 January 2006 14:40, Carlos de la Guardia wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have some comments about the idea of a Zope newsletter. Though it would
>>be nice to have one, a newsletter may be too formal an undertaking for a
>>community site.
>>
>>There was a time when the zope.org site presented a feature called Zope
>>Weekly News, where the name "weekly" comes from a loose definition of week
>>which refers to any period of days longer than a week and shorter than a
>>year.
>>
>>I think a community site that tries to do newsletters takes the risk of
>>going the way of ZWN. Unless someone is paid to do this, I think we better
>>not do it. A blog should be enough and even those aren't that easy to keep
>>updated.
>>
>>We could also compile automatically some news items, Releases and
>>announcements and call them the newsletter.
>

> i would think planetzope.org fits this description nicely

Good analysis, Carlos. I agree that keeping a newsletter up to date on a
weekly basis is very hard to do, and it may indeed be a good idea to
instead try something else that is more automatic.

planetzope.org is indeed a good start. Luckily Michael Haubenwallner of
planetzope is a datamunger, and is working on involving other sources of
news, such as zope related del.icio.us links.

Michael, what do you think?

Regards,

Martijn
Re: new zope.org: zope newsletter [ In reply to ]
Martijn Faassen wrote:
> zope related del.icio.us links.

I'm not Michael, but I think that bookmarks are not a good news source.
People often bookmark useful but old stuff.

Tonico

Re: new zope.org: zope newsletter [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:31:28PM +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
| Good analysis, Carlos. I agree that keeping a newsletter up to date on a
| weekly basis is very hard to do, and it may indeed be a good idea to
| instead try something else that is more automatic.
|
| planetzope.org is indeed a good start. Luckily Michael Haubenwallner of
| planetzope is a datamunger, and is working on involving other sources of
| news, such as zope related del.icio.us links.

On a unrelated note, I've seen some checkins on the z3-base about some
zopeweb project. I haven't seen any mention of it on this list though
so what's the intent of that?

--
Sidnei da Silva
Enfold Systems, LLC.
Re: new zope.org: zope newsletter [ In reply to ]
Martijn Faassen wrote:

> bakhtiar a hamid wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 19 January 2006 14:40, Carlos de la Guardia wrote:
>>>
>>> We could also compile automatically some news items, Releases and
>>> announcements and call them the newsletter.
>>
>> i would think planetzope.org fits this description nicely
>
> planetzope.org is indeed a good start. Luckily Michael Haubenwallner of
> planetzope is a datamunger, and is working on involving other sources of
> news, such as zope related del.icio.us links.
>
> Michael, what do you think?

To answer this (and what Tonico mentioned in his posting) i'm using
del.icio.us as a cheap way for collecting data and organizing content
from which a zope.org newsletter can be written.

Michael

--
http://zope.org/Members/d2m
http://planetzope.org

Re: new zope.org: zope newsletter [ In reply to ]
Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:31:28PM +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> | Good analysis, Carlos. I agree that keeping a newsletter up to date on a
> | weekly basis is very hard to do, and it may indeed be a good idea to
> | instead try something else that is more automatic.
> |
> | planetzope.org is indeed a good start. Luckily Michael Haubenwallner of
> | planetzope is a datamunger, and is working on involving other sources of
> | news, such as zope related del.icio.us links.
>
> On a unrelated note, I've seen some checkins on the z3-base about some
> zopeweb project. I haven't seen any mention of it on this list though
> so what's the intent of that?

Congratulations, you're now member of our secret conspiracy! You're the
first one who discovered about it without hearing directly from me.
Inevitable once we started talking on this list. :)

See here for the details:

http://codespeak.net/svn/z3/zopeweb/trunk/project.txt

Feel free to join in and help us write some more text.

Regards,

Martijn

P.S. We're working in the shadows for now, so please don't announce that
we're doing it to the whole world. We first want something to show for it.

Re: new zope.org: zope newsletter [ In reply to ]
Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> bakhtiar a hamid wrote:

>>> i would think planetzope.org fits this description nicely
>>
>> planetzope.org is indeed a good start. Luckily Michael Haubenwallner
>> of planetzope is a datamunger, and is working on involving other
>> sources of news, such as zope related del.icio.us links.
>>
>> Michael, what do you think?
>
> To answer this (and what Tonico mentioned in his posting) i'm using
> del.icio.us as a cheap way for collecting data and organizing content
> from which a zope.org newsletter can be written.

I think watchword for anything we do for zope.org is that we can't
accomplish it unless it requires the minimum of work to get done.
Perhaps what we'll end up with is not a newsletter, but if it's useful,
we should put it on zope.org.

Writing text is cheap. Mining existing links is cheap. Reusing existing
data and text is cheap.

Regards,

Martijn
Re: new zope.org: zope newsletter [ In reply to ]
I asked this in IRC, but don't think I got an answer: Should I work on
setting up something on one of the current zope.org app servers or do we
have another place where this work will be done. I started something
awhile back when Sidnei and I got into a conversation about zope.org
salvation and didn't comeplete it. I can work with Mark at Zope Corp
for us to hace something to show... I don't care about writing text as
the rest of the group.....

If there's no plan, I'll see if Mark can help with enabling us to get
some progress to that end.

Andrew

Re: new zope.org: zope newsletter [ In reply to ]
Andrew Sawyers wrote:
> If there's no plan, I'll see if Mark can help with enabling us to get
> some progress to that end.

Who's Mark?

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk
Re: new zope.org: zope newsletter [ In reply to ]
The Senior SA at zope corp.

No response to this, so I'll keep waiting. :)

Andrew Sawyers

Re: new zope.org: zope newsletter [ In reply to ]
Hey,

Sorry it took a bit to reply to this.

Andrew Sawyers wrote:
> I asked this in IRC, but don't think I got an answer: Should I work on
> setting up something on one of the current zope.org app servers or do we
> have another place where this work will be done. I started something
> awhile back when Sidnei and I got into a conversation about zope.org
> salvation and didn't comeplete it. I can work with Mark at Zope Corp
> for us to hace something to show... I don't care about writing text as
> the rest of the group.....
>
> If there's no plan, I'll see if Mark can help with enabling us to get
> some progress to that end.

While we definitely need to change zope.org eventually and it's great
you have the interest and the access to set stuff up on it, I think we
should focus first on structure, text and presentation, then worry about
the technology. For now, I'd like to stick with a bunch of restructured
text files that, if we want to see it in some presentation, can convert
with some scripts. Once we actually know what we want to host on
zope.org in more detail, we can start wondering about what the technical
infrastructure should be.

Regards,

Martijn
Re: new zope.org: zope newsletter [ In reply to ]
Ok, realize this is a hard approach for my style. :) I would like to
see coordinated progress, so when 1 item is finished we're not waiting
on yet another. If you see this is the best approach, I'm not going to
stifle it - as I've got fairly limited resources to do much at this
point. I'll ping you all in IRC to see how I can assist making
continued progress.

Andrew

Re: new zope.org: zope newsletter [ In reply to ]
Andrew Sawyers wrote:
> Ok, realize this is a hard approach for my style. :) I would like to
> see coordinated progress, so when 1 item is finished we're not waiting
> on yet another. If you see this is the best approach, I'm not going to
> stifle it - as I've got fairly limited resources to do much at this
> point. I'll ping you all in IRC to see how I can assist making
> continued progress.

Good point. I just want to prevent us getting carried away with
technology issues and forget the content/presentation in the process. As
a bunch of techies, we are at risk. If we keep this in mind however, and
we can make solid steps forward on the server issue, sure, let's get
going with the other pieces.

Regards,

Martijn