discussed here lately.
I would like to ask ML members and the respective hosting providers
(Zettai, Beehive, Nidelven, Zopehosting, Python-hosting, Quintagroup)
for another round of statements on the topic and suggest to write up a
'commercial news policy'.

Michael

--
http://zope.org/Members/d2m

Re: Request for comment - zope.org commercial news [ In reply to ]
Hi Michael,

beehive does not do Zope Hosting but will be happy to help write up a
policy.

The only kind of announcements we make are related to ZopeMag (new
issues) and information related to training.
That's because our focus these days is on Education & Publishing.

When you mentally included us in the list of hosting companies was it
because of our miniGuide to Zope Hosting:

http://www.zopemag.com/Guides/miniGuide_ZopeHosting.html

?

or was it because of an announcement that we made in the past that you
thought was not compliant with the commercial policy that was
discussed? Just out of curiousity -- because we want very much to write
acceptable announcements.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Request for comment - zope.org commercial news [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Mark wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> beehive does not do Zope Hosting but will be happy to help write up a
> policy.
>
> The only kind of announcements we make are related to ZopeMag (new
> issues) and information related to training.
> That's because our focus these days is on Education & Publishing.
>
> When you mentally included us in the list of hosting companies was it
> because of our miniGuide to Zope Hosting:
>
> http://www.zopemag.com/Guides/miniGuide_ZopeHosting.html
>
> ?
>
> or was it because of an announcement that we made in the past that you
> thought was not compliant with the commercial policy that was
> discussed? Just out of curiousity -- because we want very much to write
> acceptable announcements.

Hi Mark,
i mentioned 'beehive' for 2 reasons:
- the recent news from Nidelven IT has been published by 'beehive'

I have collected the relevant newsitems from the last 200 news
- Zope Hosting with Root Access
http://zope.org/Members/andym/training-houston
- Plone Training in Houston
http://zope.org/Members/egenius/News_Item.2004-07-26.3539
- Zope Training in New York
http://zope.org/Members/goeldi/zope-hosting_prices
- European Zope Hosting Provider with new prices
http://zope.org/Members/beehive/ZopeMagIssue8
- ZopeMag Issue 8
http://zope.org/Members/goeldi/zope_hosting_coreblog
- European Zope Hosting Provider offers COREBlog service
http://zope.org/Members/galileopress/zope-book-26
- New Zope Book by Galileo Press (german, Zope 2.6/2.7)
http://zope.org/Members/odeckmyn/powerplone
- Launching POWERPLONE service
http://zope.org/Members/python-hosting/Python-Hosting.com
- Shared Zope/Plone hosting available at Python-Hosting.com
http://zope.org/Members/quintagroup/zope-hosting
- Zope Hosting services by Quintagroup

Overall 'Commercial News' accounts for 5-10% of all news items.

Regards
Michael

--
http://zope.org/Members/d2m

Re: Request for comment - zope.org commercial news [ In reply to ]
On 2004-10-25 19:03:22 -0500, Michael Haubenwallner <michael@d2m.at> said:

> There is a problem with zope.org news that come from a commercial
> background - especially from the "Zope hosting provider" group.
> I am not sure all parties agree on publishing/announcing policy we
> discussed here lately.
> I would like to ask ML members and the respective hosting providers
> (Zettai, Beehive, Nidelven, Zopehosting, Python-hosting, Quintagroup)
> for another round of statements on the topic and suggest to write up a
> 'commercial news policy'.

Sorry for the late reply. I stopped reading this list out of
frustration about a year back.

I have posted some commercial announcements going back awhile. I have
tried to limit them to what i could consider truly
interesting/unique/significant things/developments for certain groups
of zope people, to post very infrequently and to not go overboard with
marketing-speak.

You could ban entirely commercial postings, but i don't see the point
and i see nothing wrong with infrequent and matter-of-fact styled
commercial postings. The community also includes people who make money
with zope, which is a good thing.

Perhaps there can be some style guidelines and limits on posting, say a
company can only post once every 3-6 months.

hope this is useful.