On behalf of Zope developer community I am pleased to announce the
release of Zope2 2.13.27.

You can download it via PyPI: https://pypi.org/project/Zope2/2.13.27

For more information on what is new resp. fixed in this release, see the
change log: https://zope.readthedocs.io/en/2.13/CHANGES.html#id1

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Michael Howitz
Re: [Zope-dev] Annoucement: Zope2 2.13.27 released [ In reply to ]
hi

I used to install with

./bin/easy_install --index-url=http://download.zope.org/Zope2/index/2.13.xx/ Zope2

but I remember a conversation here that this is deprecated and support will
be dropped at any time. No idea wether that time has arrived but the 2.13.27
directory is not populated yet.

So the correct method to install with virtualenv is the one described here?

https://zope.readthedocs.io/en/2.13/INSTALL-virtualenv.html

./bin/pip install \
--no-binary zc.recipe.egg \
-r https://zopefoundation.github.io/Zope/releases/2.13.27/requirements.txt

pip says "no such option: --no-binary" but I am still using
distribute-0.6.45 and virtualenv-1.9.1 (the virtualenv pip seems to be 1.3.1
shipped with virtualenv). I have many options now and not a clue which one
will work and what would break then:

-Update virtualenv
-Update distribute and virtualenv
-Install pip
-Switch to setuptools (probably the recommended way which would break most
things? :-))

cu,
brunni

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 03:56:19PM +0100, Michael Howitz wrote:
> On behalf of Zope developer community I am pleased to announce the
> release of Zope2 2.13.27.
>
> You can download it via PyPI: https://pypi.org/project/Zope2/2.13.27
>
> For more information on what is new resp. fixed in this release, see the
> change log: https://zope.readthedocs.io/en/2.13/CHANGES.html#id1
>
> --
> Mit freundlichen Gr??en
> Michael Howitz

++ Michael Brunnbauer
++ netEstate GmbH
++ Geisenhausener Stra?e 11a
++ 81379 M?nchen
++ Tel +49 89 32 19 77 80
++ Fax +49 89 32 19 77 89
++ E-Mail brunni@netestate.de
++ http://www.netestate.de/
++
++ Sitz: M?nchen, HRB Nr.142452 (Handelsregister B M?nchen)
++ USt-IdNr. DE221033342
++ Gesch?ftsf?hrer: Michael Brunnbauer, Franz Brunnbauer
++ Prokurist: Dipl. Kfm. (Univ.) Markus Hendel
Re: [Zope-dev] Annoucement: Zope2 2.13.27 released [ In reply to ]
hi all,

What is the minimum Version of pip required to install 2.13.27?

cu,
brunni

Re: [Zope-dev] Annoucement: Zope2 2.13.27 released [ In reply to ]
Am 29.01.2018 um 10:31 schrieb Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@netestate.de>:
> hi
>
> I used to install with
>
> ./bin/easy_install --index-url=http://download.zope.org/Zope2/index/2.13.xx/ Zope2
>
> but I remember a conversation here that this is deprecated and support will
> be dropped at any time. No idea wether that time has arrived but the 2.13.27
> directory is not populated yet.

You are right. The index only works with easy_install and I did not create it, as it does not seem to be needed any more.

> So the correct method to install with virtualenv is the one described here?
>
> https://zope.readthedocs.io/en/2.13/INSTALL-virtualenv.html

Yes, I just updated it to render the new version numbers.

> ./bin/pip install \
> --no-binary zc.recipe.egg \
> -r https://zopefoundation.github.io/Zope/releases/2.13.27/requirements.txt
>
> pip says "no such option: --no-binary" but I am still using
> distribute-0.6.45 and virtualenv-1.9.1 (the virtualenv pip seems to be 1.3.1
> shipped with virtualenv).

These versions are really old. You could try to omit `--no-binary zc.recipe.egg` from the command line shown above and see if this is successful. (`--no-binary zc.recipe.egg` is needed because otherwise modern pip versions think that zc.recipe.egg is an egg and not the name of a package. I don’t know what older pip versions without support for wheels do in this case.)

> I have many options now and not a clue which one
> will work and what would break then:
>
> -Update virtualenv

This would be the first step I’d suggest: update the used virtualenv package and create a new virtualenv to install Zope there.

> -Update distribute and virtualenv

Distribute is dead nowadays all its changes have been merged back into setuptools. It is no longer needed/suggested to use distribute.

> -Install pip

When you create a virtualenv with a current version of the package it automatically installs a recent version of pip.

> -Switch to setuptools (probably the recommended way which would break most
> things? :-))

I don’t understand what you want to switch to setuptools.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Michael Howitz
Re: [Zope-dev] Annoucement: Zope2 2.13.27 released [ In reply to ]
Hello Michael,

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 09:39:53AM +0100, Michael Howitz wrote:
> These versions are really old. You could try to omit `--no-binary zc.recipe.egg` from the command line shown above and see if this is successful. (`--no-binary zc.recipe.egg` is needed because otherwise modern pip versions think that zc.recipe.egg is an egg and not the name of a package. I don???t know what older pip versions without support for wheels do in this case.)

Works for a while but then at some point setuptools_scm cannot be installed
automatically. If I download and install it manually in the virtualenv subdir
before starting pip, the install for Zope2 seems to finish.

Same problem later with "./bin/pip install Products.ZSQLMethods":

No local packages or download links found for pytest-runner

> This would be the first step I???d suggest: update the used virtualenv package and create a new virtualenv to install Zope there.

virtualenv was installed with easy_install and easy_install says "Best match:
virtualenv 1.9.1", which is the current version. So what would be the best
way to update virtualenv?

> Distribute is dead nowadays all its changes have been merged back into setuptools. It is no longer needed/suggested to use distribute.

Yeah I get that.

> > -Switch to setuptools (probably the recommended way which would break most
> > things? :-))
>
> I don???t understand what you want to switch to setuptools.

My system. Because setuptools is not installed. If I install it while other
stuff was installed with Distribute, what is the probability that anything
inside or outside my virtual environments will break? That's the question I'm
asking myself.

cu,
brunni

--
++ Michael Brunnbauer
++ netEstate GmbH
Re: [Zope-dev] Annoucement: Zope2 2.13.27 released [ In reply to ]
Hello Michael,

I installed virtualenv 15.1.0 manually and tried again with the --no-binary
option. Works fine - no need to install setuptools_scm manually. But total
loss of control and understanding occurs again when I try to install
Products.ZSQLMethods with "./bin/pip install Products.ZSQLMethods":

Found existing installation: Zope2 2.13.27
Uninstalling Zope2-2.13.27:
Successfully uninstalled Zope2-2.13.27
Successfully installed AccessControl-4.0b3 AuthEncoding-4.0.0 BTrees-4.4.1 Chameleon-3.2 ExtensionClass-4.3.0 Persistence-3.0b2 Products.ZSQLMethods-3.0.1 Record-3.4 RestrictedPython-4.0b2 ZODB-5.3.0 Zope-4.0b3 Zope2-4.0b1 ipaddress-1.0.19 persistent-4.2.4.2 waitress-1.1.0 z3c.pt-3.1.0 zodbpickle-0.7.0 zope.browserpage-4.2.0 zope.browserresource-4.2.1 zope.globalrequest-1.4 zope.pagetemplate-4.3.0

This cannot be intended - can it? Did I make a mistake?

cu,
brunni

--
++ Michael Brunnbauer
++ netEstate GmbH
Re: [Zope-dev] Annoucement: Zope2 2.13.27 released [ In reply to ]
Hi Michael,

Am 31.01.2018 um 16:33 schrieb Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@netestate.de>:
> Hello Michael,
>
> I installed virtualenv 15.1.0 manually and tried again with the --no-binary
> option. Works fine - no need to install setuptools_scm manually.

Nice, so keep using the current virtualenv version.

> But total
> loss of control and understanding occurs again when I try to install
> Products.ZSQLMethods with "./bin/pip install Products.ZSQLMethods":

> Found existing installation: Zope2 2.13.27
> Uninstalling Zope2-2.13.27:
> Successfully uninstalled Zope2-2.13.27
> Successfully installed AccessControl-4.0b3 AuthEncoding-4.0.0 BTrees-4.4.1 Chameleon-3.2 ExtensionClass-4.3.0 Persistence-3.0b2 Products.ZSQLMethods-3.0.1 Record-3.4 RestrictedPython-4.0b2 ZODB-5.3.0 Zope-4.0b3 Zope2-4.0b1 ipaddress-1.0.19 persistent-4.2.4.2 waitress-1.1.0 z3c.pt-3.1.0 zodbpickle-0.7.0 zope.browserpage-4.2.0 zope.browserresource-4.2.1 zope.globalrequest-1.4 zope.pagetemplate-4.3.0
>
> This cannot be intended - can it? Did I make a mistake?

The latest release of Products.ZSQLMethods is no longer compatible with Zope2, so you have to force pip to install an older version.
According to https://pypi.org/project/Products.ZSQLMethods/ the last version which is compatible with Zope2 is 2.13.5, so you should install it using:

./bin/pip install Products.ZSQLMethods==2.13.5

(You should create a new virtualenv as this call of pip install does not undo the changes pip did while you were installing the latest version.)

If you want to install other packages, you should look up the latest Zope2 compatible version on PyPI. But there might be some extra versions which do not show up in the change log. So also take a look at „Release History“ on the left side below „Navigation“. (This feature only exists on the new PyPI not on pypi.python.org.)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Michael Howitz