Mailing List Archive

Zope instance not serving website - Site Error
Hi,

My rather old Zope2 server crashed yesterday and took down the one
website that it was still serving. The site now just throws out the
following error:

"Site Error

Debugging Notice
Zope has encountered a problem publishing your object.

Cannot locate object at: http://www.legulcerforum.org/news/folder_listing

Troubleshooting Suggestions

The URL may be incorrect.
The parameters passed to this resource may be incorrect.
A resource that this resource relies on may be encountering an error.

For more detailed information about the error, please refer to the error
log.

If the error persists please contact the site maintainer. Thank you for
your patience.
(Also, the following error occurred while attempting to render the
standard error message, please see the event log for full details:
main_template)"

Part of the site is accessible, a zope based photo gallery and the ZMI
(management interface), but the main part of the site isn't working, it
just throws out the above error.

I've restored the whole instance from backups and I still get the same
error, so I don't think the problem is with the instance (but I'm
totally new to zope, so willing to be told I'm wrong). When running the
instance in the foreground - zopectl fg, I get the following -
http://pastebin.com/bhBp7AXf

I'm honestly not sure exactly what version of zope it is, because when I
start poking around in the ZMI, I get the above error. Python is
2.4.3. The server is Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. Zope hasn't been installed
through the package manager.

I've never really used zope before, this is something I've inherited
from a previous sysadmin. I'm happy to RTFM and try things out (this is
the only site on this server and I have fairly decent backups) but my
zope/python knowledge is pretty minimal, so sorry if I'm missing
something obvious.

Matthew Moore
Surgical Materials Testing Laboratory
System Administrator
Telephone: +44 (0)1656 752165
Email: matt@smtl.co.uk

Re: Zope instance not serving website - Site Error [ In reply to ]
Am Donnerstag, 2. Februar 2012, 10:15:44 schrieb Matthew Moore:
> For more detailed information about the error, please refer to the error
> log.

It highly makes sense to do that (and i.e. post the details here) ;)

cheeers,

Niels.
--
---
Niels Dettenbach
Re: Zope instance not serving website - Site Error [ In reply to ]
Am Donnerstag, 2. Februar 2012, 11:19:36 schrieb Niels Dettenbach:
> It highly makes sense to do that (and i.e. post the details here)

...aaaeh, sorry for the nopise - found it in your pastebin.

> raise AttributeError(name)
> AttributeError: main_template
It seems main_template could not be found by Zope / Aquisition (anymore?). Not
shure why...

cheers,

Niels.
--
---
Niels Dettenbach
Re: Zope instance not serving website - Site Error [ In reply to ]
On 02/02/12 10:19, Niels Dettenbach wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 2. Februar 2012, 10:15:44 schrieb Matthew Moore:
>> For more detailed information about the error, please refer to the error
>> log.
> It highly makes sense to do that (and i.e. post the details here) ;)

The output from zopectl fg is on the pastebin link:

http://pastebin.com/bhBp7AXf

It's quite a lot of output, so I didn't really want to post it to the
list. But here's a selection:

1.
2012-02-01 16:02:16 ERROR root Exception while rendering an error
message
2.
Traceback (most recent call last):
3.
File "/usr/local/zope/lib/python/OFS/SimpleItem.py", line 223, in
raise_standardErrorMessage
4.
v = s(**kwargs)
5.
File
"/usr/local/instances/zope-voyager2/Products/CMFCore/FSPythonScript.py",
line 108, in __call__
6.
return Script.__call__(self, *args, **kw)
7.
File "/usr/local/zope/lib/python/Shared/DC/Scripts/Bindings.py",
line 311, in __call__
8.
return self._bindAndExec(args, kw, None)
9.
File "/usr/local/zope/lib/python/Shared/DC/Scripts/Bindings.py",
line 348, in _bindAndExec
10.
return self._exec(bound_data, args, kw)
11.
File
"/usr/local/instances/zope-voyager2/Products/CMFCore/FSPythonScript.py",
line 164, in _exec
12.
result = f(*args, **kw)
13.
File "Script (Python)", line 16, in standard_error_message
14.
File "/usr/local/zope/lib/python/Shared/DC/Scripts/Bindings.py",
line 311, in __call__
15.
return self._bindAndExec(args, kw, None)
16.
File "/usr/local/zope/lib/python/Shared/DC/Scripts/Bindings.py",
line 348, in _bindAndExec
17.
return self._exec(bound_data, args, kw)
18.
File
"/usr/local/instances/zope-voyager2/Products/CMFCore/FSPageTemplate.py",
line 195, in _exec
19.
result = self.pt_render(extra_context=bound_names)
20.
File
"/usr/local/instances/zope-voyager2/Products/CMFCore/FSPageTemplate.py",
line 134, in pt_render
21.
result = FSPageTemplate.inheritedAttribute('pt_render')(
22.
File
"/usr/local/zope/lib/python/Products/PageTemplates/PageTemplate.py",
line 104, in pt_render
23.
tal=not source, strictinsert=0)()
24.
File "/usr/local/zope/lib/python/TAL/TALInterpreter.py", line 238,
in __call__
25.
self.interpret(self.program)
26.
File "/usr/local/zope/lib/python/TAL/TALInterpreter.py", line 281,
in interpret
27.
handlers[opcode](self, args)
28.
File "/usr/local/zope/lib/python/TAL/TALInterpreter.py", line 735,
in do_useMacro
29.
macro = self.engine.evaluateMacro(macroExpr)
30.
File "/usr/local/zope/lib/python/Products/PageTemplates/TALES.py",
line 221, in evaluate
31.
return expression(self)
32.
File
"/usr/local/zope/lib/python/Products/PageTemplates/Expressions.py",
line 185, in __call__
33.
return self._eval(econtext)
34.
File
"/usr/local/zope/lib/python/Products/PageTemplates/Expressions.py",
line 173, in _eval
35.
ob = self._subexprs[-1](econtext)
36.
File
"/usr/local/zope/lib/python/Products/PageTemplates/Expressions.py",
line 127, in _eval
37.
ob = restrictedTraverse(ob, path, getSecurityManager())
38.
File
"/usr/local/zope/lib/python/Products/PageTemplates/Expressions.py",
line 286, in restrictedTraverse
39.
o=t(REQUEST, name)
40.
File "/usr/local/zope/lib/python/Products/Five/traversable.py",
line 115, in __bobo_traverse__
41.
raise AttributeError(name)
42.
AttributeError: main_template

The error_log that you can access through the management page is blank.
There's nothing in the syslogs/messages/apache logs.

Re: Zope instance not serving website - Site Error [ In reply to ]
Hi Matthew,

you probably need to know the concepts of Zope Through-the-web (TTW) and
Filesystem (FS) Product Coding.
Some templates, scripts are in the ZODB and editable via ZMI - the
recommended style for a not so recent Zope version is using FS Zope
Products. Please identify the zope version by using the ZMI-ControlPanel.
Please compare the way you start the zope instance with the way your
former colleague did it.
Identify if you are using a custom developed Zope Product with
templates and a 'main_template' and optionally a 'folder_listing' Zope
Page Template or similar. Find them by searching in the filesystem
('Products' Folder is one option) and in the ZMI and tell us the
location if you find them.

It could be that the Filesystem Directory Views need to be created
manually - if the product code is not doing that properly.
Please check this stuff and come back. And the way with pastebin is
right - the more (proper) information we have the better. At the moment
the bits and pieces of your application are not complete to me - help
me. Now its your turn.

Sascha

Re: Zope instance not serving website - Site Error [ In reply to ]
Sascha,

> you probably need to know the concepts of Zope Through-the-web (TTW)
> and Filesystem (FS) Product Coding.
> Some templates, scripts are in the ZODB and editable via ZMI - the
> recommended style for a not so recent Zope version is using FS Zope
> Products. Please identify the zope version by using the ZMI-ControlPanel.
I'm reading up on the TTW and FS stuff. Any articles/pages you
particulary recommend?

I can't edit anything using the ZMI, when I click on the pages in
'Content' I get the error message.

The version line from the error log is this - 'Zope/(Zope 2.9.4-final,
python 2.4.3, linux2) ZServer/1.1 Plone/2.5'

> Please compare the way you start the zope instance with the way your
> former colleague did it.

I'm not sure what the previous guy did, but I've used the init script
(/etc/init.d/zope start) and the zopectl script in the bin/ in the
instance. All methods of starting give the same errors. I have had to
restart zope before now, and I've always used zopectl and that's worked
fine. It's only since the server crashed it's not worked. I'd only
used zopectl fg so I could see what was happening on startup. Currently
the site (www.legulcerforum.org) is started using the init script.

> Identify if you are using a custom developed Zope Product with
> templates and a 'main_template' and optionally a 'folder_listing' Zope
> Page Template or similar. Find them by searching in the filesystem
> ('Products' Folder is one option) and in the ZMI and tell us the
> location if you find them.
I don't think it's custom, I've put a list of the Products directory on
pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/cftnjbgZ

I think it's pretty much just plone.

> It could be that the Filesystem Directory Views need to be created
> manually - if the product code is not doing that properly.
How can I check that?

I used the ATCT Tool to recatalog the site, not sure if that's the same
thing.

> Please check this stuff and come back. And the way with pastebin is
> right - the more (proper) information we have the better. At the
> moment the bits and pieces of your application are not complete to me
> - help me. Now its your turn.

I have started to see some more errors in the error_log eg:

http://pastebin.com/ZrhquAZH

Hopefully that's useful. Thanks for you help.

Matthew

Re: Zope instance not serving website - Site Error [ In reply to ]
Matthew,

http://readthedocs.org/docs/collective-docs/en/latest/

> I can't edit anything using the ZMI, when I click on the pages in
> 'Content' I get the error message.
>
> The version line from the error log is this - 'Zope/(Zope 2.9.4-final,
> python 2.4.3, linux2) ZServer/1.1 Plone/2.5'
>
>> Please compare the way you start the zope instance with the way your
>> former colleague did it.
>
> I'm not sure what the previous guy did, but I've used the init script
> (/etc/init.d/zope start) and the zopectl script in the bin/ in the
> instance. All methods of starting give the same errors. I have had
> to restart zope before now, and I've always used zopectl and that's
> worked fine. It's only since the server crashed it's not worked. I'd
> only used zopectl fg so I could see what was happening on startup.
> Currently the site (www.legulcerforum.org) is started using the init
> script.
>
>> Identify if you are using a custom developed Zope Product with
>> templates and a 'main_template' and optionally a 'folder_listing'
>> Zope Page Template or similar. Find them by searching in the
>> filesystem ('Products' Folder is one option) and in the ZMI and tell
>> us the location if you find them.
> I don't think it's custom, I've put a list of the Products directory
> on pastebin:
>
> http://pastebin.com/cftnjbgZ
>
> I think it's pretty much just plone.

Please go for portal_skins tool in ZMI , identify the current skin and
check that the chosen skin lists several layers. These layers consist of
several FS Directory View belonging to several products and their skin
directories.
If you are using Plone 2.5 use this book. There is also a HTML version
free available in the web.
http://plone.org/documentation/kb/definitive-guide

Consult the chapter about skinning Plone, the 'custom' folder and the
setup of skins and layers.

>> It could be that the Filesystem Directory Views need to be created
>> manually - if the product code is not doing that properly.
> How can I check that?
>
> I used the ATCT Tool to recatalog the site, not sure if that's the
> same thing.
>
>> Please check this stuff and come back. And the way with pastebin is
>> right - the more (proper) information we have the better. At the
>> moment the bits and pieces of your application are not complete to me
>> - help me. Now its your turn.
>
> I have started to see some more errors in the error_log eg:
>
> http://pastebin.com/ZrhquAZH

I will have a look at that later - I need to go now.

> Hopefully that's useful. Thanks for you help.
>
> Matthew

Sascha

Re: Zope instance not serving website - Site Error [ In reply to ]
On 02/02/12 11:43, Sascha Gottfried wrote:
> Matthew,
>> Sascha,
>>

>>> you probably need to know the concepts of Zope Through-the-web (TTW)
>>> and Filesystem (FS) Product Coding.
>>> Some templates, scripts are in the ZODB and editable via ZMI - the
>>> recommended style for a not so recent Zope version is using FS Zope
>>> Products. Please identify the zope version by using the
>>> ZMI-ControlPanel.
>> I'm reading up on the TTW and FS stuff. Any articles/pages you
>> particulary recommend?
>>
> http://readthedocs.org/docs/collective-docs/en/latest/
>
>> I can't edit anything using the ZMI, when I click on the pages in
>> 'Content' I get the error message.
>>
>> The version line from the error log is this - 'Zope/(Zope
>> 2.9.4-final, python 2.4.3, linux2) ZServer/1.1 Plone/2.5'
>>
>>> Please compare the way you start the zope instance with the way your
>>> former colleague did it.
>>
>> I'm not sure what the previous guy did, but I've used the init script
>> (/etc/init.d/zope start) and the zopectl script in the bin/ in the
>> instance. All methods of starting give the same errors. I have had
>> to restart zope before now, and I've always used zopectl and that's
>> worked fine. It's only since the server crashed it's not worked.
>> I'd only used zopectl fg so I could see what was happening on
>> startup. Currently the site (www.legulcerforum.org) is started using
>> the init script.
>>
>>> Identify if you are using a custom developed Zope Product with
>>> templates and a 'main_template' and optionally a 'folder_listing'
>>> Zope Page Template or similar. Find them by searching in the
>>> filesystem ('Products' Folder is one option) and in the ZMI and tell
>>> us the location if you find them.
>> I don't think it's custom, I've put a list of the Products directory
>> on pastebin:
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/cftnjbgZ
>>
>> I think it's pretty much just plone.
>>
> Please go for portal_skins tool in ZMI , identify the current skin and
> check that the chosen skin lists several layers. These layers consist
> of several FS Directory View belonging to several products and their
> skin directories.
> If you are using Plone 2.5 use this book. There is also a HTML version
> free available in the web.
> http://plone.org/documentation/kb/definitive-guide
>
> Consult the chapter about skinning Plone, the 'custom' folder and the
> setup of skins and layers.

Thanks for all the links.

I'm not 100% as to exactly which one is the skin that's in use, but all
of the folders in plone_skins do have files and folders in them. The
one that's most likely to be it (called custom and not changed since
2006, which is when the site was installed). Has all the logos, a
main_template (which looks ok as far as I can tell) and a css file as
well as a base_properties directory.

Cheers,

Matthew
Re: Zope instance not serving website - Site Error [ In reply to ]

Re: Zope instance not serving website - Site Error [ In reply to ]

On 02/02/12 13:44, Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT&Internet) wrote:

> Just to make shure:
>
> Do you have any backup from the "var" stuff of the Zope Instance (i.e.
Data.fs* aso.)? Could you try to stop Zope, swap the backup in and try
to start (shure, make a current backup of var before you swap in...)?
May be Zope did something rolled within your ZODB and changed ZODB
content in any way i/you can't see on a first view...

> I'm not a Plone geek but one possibl point could be somekind of update
from/by zc.buildout you possibly runned in the past?

> Could you get any copy/backup of your full Zope instance (including
external / local fs dirs if happen) and try so start that (you have to
fiddle with proper pathes within etc, bin and your (former) local fs
objects within zodb?

I've already tried the following:

Secured current non working zope db and instance
Restored just the Data.fs* files (same error)
Restored whole instance (tried from two different backup sets in
desperation)

I think that pretty much covers it.

I have full backups of the whole server, so can try restoring other
sections, just don't really know enough about zope/plone to know what to
restore. I store the instance in /usr/local/instances/zope-instance, so
I just copied the whole 'zope-instance' folder over.

I don't think the people who put the content on the website change it
very often, so I can go to even older backups if needed, but I don't
think it'll work.

Cheers,

- --

Re: Zope instance not serving website - Site Error [ In reply to ]
Am 02.02.2012 14:12, schrieb Matthew Moore:
> On 02/02/12 11:43, Sascha Gottfried wrote:
>> Matthew,
>>> Sascha,

>>> I'm reading up on the TTW and FS stuff. Any articles/pages you
>>> particulary recommend?
>>>
>> http://readthedocs.org/docs/collective-docs/en/latest/
>>
>>> I can't edit anything using the ZMI, when I click on the pages in
>>> 'Content' I get the error message.
>>>
>>> The version line from the error log is this - 'Zope/(Zope
>>> 2.9.4-final, python 2.4.3, linux2) ZServer/1.1 Plone/2.5'

>>> I'm not sure what the previous guy did, but I've used the init
>>> script (/etc/init.d/zope start) and the zopectl script in the bin/
>>> in the instance. All methods of starting give the same errors. I
>>> have had to restart zope before now, and I've always used zopectl
>>> and that's worked fine. It's only since the server crashed it's not
>>> worked. I'd only used zopectl fg so I could see what was happening
>>> on startup. Currently the site (www.legulcerforum.org) is started
>>> using the init script.

>>> I don't think it's custom, I've put a list of the Products directory
>>> on pastebin:
>>>
>>> http://pastebin.com/cftnjbgZ
>>>
>>> I think it's pretty much just plone.
>>>
>> Please go for portal_skins tool in ZMI , identify the current skin
>> and check that the chosen skin lists several layers. These layers
>> consist of several FS Directory View belonging to several products
>> and their skin directories.
>> If you are using Plone 2.5 use this book. There is also a HTML
>> version free available in the web.
>> http://plone.org/documentation/kb/definitive-guide
>>
>> Consult the chapter about skinning Plone, the 'custom' folder and the
>> setup of skins and layers.
>
> Thanks for all the links.
>
> I'm not 100% as to exactly which one is the skin that's in use, but
> all of the folders in plone_skins do have files and folders in them.
> The one that's most likely to be it (called custom and not changed
> since 2006, which is when the site was installed). Has all the logos,
> a main_template (which looks ok as far as I can tell) and a css file
> as well as a base_properties directory.

Now you are scratching below the surface. All folders in plone_skins are
registered FS Directory Views (FSDV). The current plone skin layers a
couple of skin folders to make them available to your Plone Site via
Acquisition at portal root URL. If the 'custom' folder is not listed in
the list of layers of your current skin - Plone probably can not find
the 'main_template' by calling context.main_template(). Usually the
'custom' folder is the topmost layer in a skin - what means that all
resources in there a hiding resources with the same name. This way you
can override the standard main_template ZPT shipped in in plone_skins.

Just another hint. Some run-time made configuration in ZMI is set back
to default when you restart the Zope instance. That's why a backup will
not always restore the a Plone site. That's why it is evil to do that -
because it is not done in code on the file system - and you have to
remember. Welcome to generic-setup stuff.

Please investigate and come back.

By the way - to get more specific support, consider to ask on
'plone-users' mailing list. Check this list as another source of help.
At current state you can provide much detailed information regarding
your error.
Cheers Sscha

Re: Zope instance not serving website - Site Error [ In reply to ]
On 03/02/12 10:56, Sascha Gottfried wrote:
> Am 02.02.2012 14:12, schrieb Matthew Moore:
>> On 02/02/12 11:43, Sascha Gottfried wrote:
>>> Matthew,

>>> http://readthedocs.org/docs/collective-docs/en/latest/

>>> Please go for portal_skins tool in ZMI , identify the current skin
>>> and check that the chosen skin lists several layers. These layers
>>> consist of several FS Directory View belonging to several products
>>> and their skin directories.
>>> If you are using Plone 2.5 use this book. There is also a HTML
>>> version free available in the web.
>>> http://plone.org/documentation/kb/definitive-guide
>>>
>>> Consult the chapter about skinning Plone, the 'custom' folder and
>>> the setup of skins and layers.
>>
>> Thanks for all the links.
>>
>> I'm not 100% as to exactly which one is the skin that's in use, but
>> all of the folders in plone_skins do have files and folders in them.
>> The one that's most likely to be it (called custom and not changed
>> since 2006, which is when the site was installed). Has all the
>> logos, a main_template (which looks ok as far as I can tell) and a
>> css file as well as a base_properties directory.
>>
> Now you are scratching below the surface. All folders in plone_skins
> are registered FS Directory Views (FSDV). The current plone skin
> layers a couple of skin folders to make them available to your Plone
> Site via Acquisition at portal root URL. If the 'custom' folder is not
> listed in the list of layers of your current skin - Plone probably can
> not find the 'main_template' by calling context.main_template().
> Usually the 'custom' folder is the topmost layer in a skin - what
> means that all resources in there a hiding resources with the same
> name. This way you can override the standard main_template ZPT shipped
> in in plone_skins.
>
> Just another hint. Some run-time made configuration in ZMI is set back
> to default when you restart the Zope instance. That's why a backup
> will not always restore the a Plone site. That's why it is evil to do
> that - because it is not done in code on the file system - and you
> have to remember. Welcome to generic-setup stuff.
>
> Please investigate and come back.
>
> By the way - to get more specific support, consider to ask on
> 'plone-users' mailing list. Check this list as another source of help.
> At current state you can provide much detailed information regarding
> your error.
> Cheers Sscha

Sorry for missing the Zope-users list. I'd been looking for it, but had
obviously missed it.

I've 'fixed' the problem for me by simply moving the site to our main
CMS, which is properly maintained and updated. I had been planning on
moving the site over to it anyway in the long run, this has just forced
my hand. I've spent too much time on trying to restore a site that
doesn't seem like it's going to be quick or easy to restore. I may come
back to it and see if I can fix it, but for now, I'm going to leave it.

Many thanks for the prompt help that you've given, I really appreciate it.