I had a look at Xron (http://www.zope.org/Members/lstaffor/Xron/) but
it either doesn't seem to work with 2.9.1 (or I can't get it to work).
I install it in the products directory but it doesn't show up in the
product directory when Zope restarts and naturally none of the objects
it is supposed to supply can be added. I haven't investigated what the
problem is (and am not even totally sure how to go about it). Is there
something isn't obvious that I might be missing?

Barring getting it to work are there any other alternatives?
Re: Asynchronous triggering of events [ In reply to ]
I'd start by looking at the logs to see what's failing, should be a traceback there somewhere.

Other than that there is clockserver, but I am not sure that was/is available in the version you are using.

--
Jeffrey D Peterson
Webmaster

Re: Asynchronous triggering of events [ In reply to ]
Clockserver seems to install -- can't find any docs on how to use it
though. All the links for info at the download site appear to be dead.

Any idea where docs might be located?

Re: Asynchronous triggering of events [ In reply to ]
Can't say I have ever used it, only heard about it on this list. Seems to me it's built into the latest releases. Try looking at the source, may be something in the tests.py that'll give you some insight.

--
Jeffrey D Peterson
Webmaster

Re: Asynchronous triggering of events [ In reply to ]
On 18/10/2010 20:51, Brian Sullivan wrote:
> I am back working with Zope 2.9.1 (yes I know it is long in the tooth
> but I am trying to avoid adding the pain of upgrading, having products
> fail and all the usually comes with upgrading if I can). I

I would just use zopectl run and a script of your choice triggered by cron.

Stepper provides a nice set of utils for working in this pattern...

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk
Re: Asynchronous triggering of events [ In reply to ]
Not sure if this is the same thing but you can take a look at this as well: http://nullege.com/codes/show/src%40z%40o%40Zope2-2.12.12%40src%40ZServer%40tests%40test_clockserver.py/5/ZServer.ClockServer

--
Jeffrey D Peterson
Webmaster

Re: Asynchronous triggering of events [ In reply to ]
Clockserver seems to need an external C module that is only available
for Xnix - I am unfortunately on Windows.

"2010-10-18T16:27:01 ERROR Zope Couldn't install Xron
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Zope-2.9.1\lib\python\OFS\Application.py",
line 763, in install_product
global_dict, global_dict, silly)
File "d:\Zope-Instance2.9\Products\Xron\__init__.py", line 40, in ?
import Dispatcher
File "d:\Zope-Instance2.9\Products\Xron\Dispatcher.py", line 42, in ?
import ZODB, ZODB.ZApplication
ImportError: No module named ZApplication"

is the error I get on startup related to Xron. Not sure what
ZApplication is or where it is supposed to be.

Re: Asynchronous triggering of events [ In reply to ]
zopetcl -- is that a unix program? I am using Windows unfortunately.

Re: Asynchronous triggering of events [ In reply to ]
On 18/10/2010 22:25, Brian Sullivan wrote:
> zopetcl -- is that a unix program? I am using Windows unfortunately.

It might well be on your version of Zope, it works fine in later
versions, though...

That said, if you take a look at Stepper, you'll see that I documented
how to get it all to work on Windows (use Scheduled Tasks to drive it)

cheers,

Chris

PS: But seriously, how much of a masochist are you? Zope 2.9 on
Windows?! ;-)

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk
Re: Asynchronous triggering of events [ In reply to ]
So I installed 2.11.4 -- the latest that I could find and still the same issue.

I get the impression from the age of the Zope installs, the state of
disrepair and link rot of the zope.org site that Zope is in its final
death throes as an independent entity ? I tried to look for an
independent version of Plone that I can install on an existing Zope--
the only install I could find is a complete installer including Zope.

Is Plone the new Zope?

Re: Asynchronous triggering of events [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 14:13 -0400, Brian Sullivan wrote:
> So I installed 2.11.4 -- the latest that I could find and still the same issue.

Clockserver is actually built into newer Zopes and needn't be installed
separately. You configure it by adding stuff to your zope.conf file,
eg.:

<clock-server>
method /mysite/do_stuff
period 60
user admin
password secret
host localhost
</clock-server>

> I get the impression from the age of the Zope installs, the state of
> disrepair and link rot of the zope.org site that Zope is in its final
> death throes as an independent entity ? I tried to look for an
> independent version of Plone that I can install on an existing Zope--
> the only install I could find is a complete installer including Zope.
>
> Is Plone the new Zope?

Might want to start a separate thread for all that.

- C

Re: Asynchronous triggering of events [ In reply to ]

This is what I mentioned about it being built-in to newer versions. You set it up in zope.conf.

> I get the impression from the age of the Zope installs, the state of
> disrepair and link rot of the zope.org site that Zope is in its final
> death throes as an independent entity ? I tried to look for an
> independent version of Plone that I can install on an existing Zope--
> the only install I could find is a complete installer including Zope.
>
> Is Plone the new Zope?

Nope, Bluebream (formerly known as Zope3) is the new Zope, though Zope2 is alive and very well. Might consider peeking at Grok as well. Though I don't know if either of those will help you.

Re: Asynchronous triggering of events [ In reply to ]
On 19/10/2010 19:44, Jeff Peterson wrote:
> Nope, Bluebream (formerly known as Zope3) is the new Zope, though Zope2 is alive and very well. Might consider peeking at Grok as well. Though I don't know if either of those will help you.

I wouldn't recommend anything other than repoze.bfg myself!

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk