Mailing List Archive

Oracle 9i, Zope 2.9.0 and Windows
Hi :-)

I'm doing a commercial project on Zope 2.9.0 in which I have to read and write data to Oracle 9.2.0.4 database. It won't be a substitution for ZODB but something more of an import/export feature.

I've looked pretty closely on Zope <-> relational database connectivity and I understand the concepts of Database Adapter, Database Connection and Z SQL Methods. I've played around a bit with Gadfly.

I've found the wiki page:
http://zopewiki.org/Oracle
and it seems that DOracle2 would be the best thing for my needs (I only need simple inserts and querries, nothing really fancy). But as I see there is no binary for Python 2.4 and Windows.

I've found a couple of howto's on compiling the extension but they're not easy or at least not for me, especially that I can't use the Ms Visual Studio :-( So before I take on the task I would like to ask for any suggestions (links are very welcome). Maybe someone has the adapter and could share it?

Is the Oracle Client still needed after I've compiled the adapter? If I compile it in Linux is it possible to use it in Windows?

As you've probably guessed I'm pretty newbie - but very much willing to learn :-)

Please excuse my English.

I will be very grateful for any help.

Best regards,
Maciej Zieba

RE: Oracle 9i, Zope 2.9.0 and Windows [ In reply to ]
Try this
http://zope.org/Members/timmorgan/products/ZODBCDA/document_view it's
the one I use and it works pretty good, you just have to install also
the Mark Hammond's Python Win32 Extensions before, chek this link it has
the instructions.

I hope this will help you...

Jose Rivera

>I'm doing a commercial project on Zope 2.9.0 in which I have to
read and write data to Oracle 9.2.0.4 database. It won't be a
substitution for ZODB but something >
>more of an import/export feature.
>
>I've looked pretty closely on Zope <-> relational database
connectivity and I understand the concepts of Database Adapter, Database
Connection and Z SQL
>Methods. I've played around a bit with Gadfly.
>
>I've found the wiki page:
>http://zopewiki.org/Oracle
>and it seems that DOracle2 would be the best thing for my needs
(I only need simple inserts and querries, nothing really fancy). But as
I see there is no binary for
>Python 2.4 and Windows
>
>I've found a couple of howto's on compiling the extension but
they're not easy or at least not for me, especially that I can't use the
Ms Visual Studio :-( So before I
>take on the task I would like to ask for any suggestions (links
are very welcome). Maybe someone has the adapter and could share it?

>Is the Oracle Client still needed after I've compiled the
adapter? If I compile it in Linux is it possible to use it in Windows?

>As you've probably guessed I'm pretty newbie - but very much
willing to learn :-)

>Please excuse my English.
>
>I will be very grateful for any help.
>
>Best regards,
>Maciej Zieba

La presente informacion se envia unicamente para el destinatario, y
contiene Informacion de caracter CONFIDENCIAL o PRIVILEGIADA. La modificacion,
retransmision, difusion, copia u otro uso de esta informacion por cualquier
medio, por personas distintas al destinatario esta estrictamente prohibido.
Si usted no es el destinatario, por favor notifique al remitente respondiendo
a este mensaje, y borre el mismo y sus anexos sin retener copia alguna.
Gracias.

The information contained in this message is being sent to the intended
recipient, and contains PRIVILEGED / CONFIDENTIAL Information. The modification,
retransmission, disclosure, copy or other use of such information by persons
other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and
Thank you.
Re: Oracle 9i, Zope 2.9.0 and Windows [ In reply to ]
krokodylek@tenbit.pl wrote at 2006-4-4 13:08 CES:
>I've found the wiki page:
>http://zopewiki.org/Oracle
>and it seems that DOracle2 would be the best thing for my needs (I only n=
>eed simple inserts and querries, nothing really fancy). But as I see ther=
>e is no binary for Python 2.4 and Windows.

"DCOracle2" currently has not maintainer.

Maybe, you should look for "cx_Oracle" (which has an active maintainer).

--
Dieter
Re: Oracle 9i, Zope 2.9.0 and Windows [ In reply to ]
I was also hoping someone who uses Windows more than I do would build
DCOracle2 for Python 2.4. I agree that one "right" alternative is
cx_Oracle. (I'm not familar with Zope's ODBC adapter).

To answer a couple of Maciej's questions...

Yes, you would still need the Oracle client installed after building
DCOracle2.

No, you can't use a build from Linux under Windows.

Matthew

krokodylek@tenbit.pl wrote:

>Hi :-)
>
>I'm doing a commercial project on Zope 2.9.0 in which I have to read and write data to Oracle 9.2.0.4 database. It won't be a substitution for ZODB but something more of an import/export feature.
>
>I've looked pretty closely on Zope <-> relational database connectivity and I understand the concepts of Database Adapter, Database Connection and Z SQL Methods. I've played around a bit with Gadfly.
>
>I've found the wiki page:
>http://zopewiki.org/Oracle
>and it seems that DOracle2 would be the best thing for my needs (I only need simple inserts and querries, nothing really fancy). But as I see there is no binary for Python 2.4 and Windows.
>
>I've found a couple of howto's on compiling the extension but they're not easy or at least not for me, especially that I can't use the Ms Visual Studio :-( So before I take on the task I would like to ask for any suggestions (links are very welcome). Maybe someone has the adapter and could share it?
>
>Is the Oracle Client still needed after I've compiled the adapter? If I compile it in Linux is it possible to use it in Windows?
>
>As you've probably guessed I'm pretty newbie - but very much willing to learn :-)
>
>Please excuse my English.
>
>I will be very grateful for any help.
>
>Best regards,
>Maciej Zieba

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% Matthew Cahn
% Principal Systems Analyst
% Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
% Mailbox code: H23-05
% P.O. Box 4000
% Princeton, NJ 08543-4000
%
% Phone: (609) 252-3477
% Fax: (609) 252-6030
% Email: Matthew.Cahn@bms.com
% Wireless email: matthew_cahn@imcingular.com

Oracle 9i, Zope 2.9.0 and Windows [ In reply to ]
You can use www.egenix.com for connection to Oracle or
try Postgresql 8.x. Postgresql can run natively on WIndows XP Pro. The adapter is available from www.initd.org.

CY