Mailing List Archive

external ZODB from Zope interface
Hi,
I am a Zope newbie with some Python experience. We have a large amount of scientific data that we are planning to load into several ZODBs.
>From the Zope interface, how can I access these 'external'
databases? Are databases other than Data.fs accessible? Must this be done using an external method of some sort?

Thanks for your help.

-g

---------------------------------

Re: external ZODB from Zope interface [ In reply to ]
This is a good write up of how to do it.

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/RelationalDatabases.stx

--Seth

gyro funch wrote:

> Hi,
> I am a Zope newbie with some Python experience. We have a large amount
> of scientific data that we are planning to load into several ZODBs.
> From the Zope interface, how can I access these 'external'
> databases? Are databases other than Data.fs accessible? Must this be
> done using an external method of some sort?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> -g

> What are the most popular cars? Find out at Yahoo! Autos
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=38382/_ylc=X3oDMTEzNWFva2Y2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDMmF1dG9z/*http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/popular/thisweek.html%20>

Seth Gottlieb
Optaros, Inc.
60 Canal Street
Boston, MA 02114
e: sgottlieb@optaros.com
v: 617.227.1855 ext. 107
f: 617.227.1755
m: 617.852.2956
b: http://contenthere.blogspot.com

Re: external ZODB from Zope interface [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the very useful reference.
However, I don't see anything in there about accessing a ZODB. I may have missed something, but I don't see a suitable ZODB adapter that I can add in the Zope interface (similar to what is apparently possible for Gadfly, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and other DBs).

Any other ideas about how to access 'external' ZODBs and make them part of the Zope project?

Thanks.

-g

Seth Gottlieb <sgottlieb@optaros.com> wrote: This is a good write up of how to do it.

Re: external ZODB from Zope interface [ In reply to ]
Sorry,

I misread your question. One thing that you could do is go to the Zope
instance with the database that you want to export, go to the directory
that you want to export and then use the Zope export utility. This
assumes that your data is sitting in a folder within the database.

Try this:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/ZopeBook/BasicObject.html

--Seth

Re: external ZODB from Zope interface [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 16:25:09 +0100, gyro funch <gyrof@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the very useful reference.
> However, I don't see anything in there about accessing a ZODB. I may
> have missed something, but I don't see a suitable
> ZODB adapter that I can add in the Zope interface (similar to what is
> apparently possible for Gadfly, MySQL,
> PostgreSQL, and other DBs).
> Any other ideas about how to access 'external' ZODBs and make them part
> of the Zope project?

Interesting question. I don't think is a common request. You might want to
look at how to use standalone ZODB's in Python, although it sounds as if
you're already competent with that. It may indeed be that you do need an
ExternalMethod for what you want to do - shouldn't be much trouble, I
would think. Why do you need several databases? Is it something to do with
the size of your data?

Other than that I'm sure the Timbot will notice the post!

Charlie
AW: external ZODB from Zope interface [ In reply to ]
Hi,

depending on what your goals are, maybe the following approach we use at
our site may help:
it is possible to mount "external" ZODB storages from a ZEO server into
the main storage

here an excerpt from our Zope configuration:

<zodb_db main>
mount-point /
cache-size $ZODB_CACHE_SIZE_MAIN
pool-size $ZODB_POOLSIZE
<zeoclient>
server $ZEOSERVER_MAIN
storage main
name zeostorage
cache-size 100000000
</zeoclient>
</zodb_db>

# ----------------------------------------
# mounted ZEO client storages:
# provided by local or remote ZEO server
#

<zodb_db normen>
mount-point $MOUNTPOINT/Data/Normen:/Normen
cache-size $ZODB_CACHE_SIZE_NORMEN
pool-size $ZODB_POOLSIZE
<zeoclient>
server $ZEOSERVER_NORMEN
storage normen
cache-size 200000000
</zeoclient>
</zodb_db>

# and a couple of other storages follow here

the variable MOUNTPOINT (defined ahead) specifies a ZODB Path under that
the storage is mounted
the content of the storage is then accessible through ZODB paths
directly from the main storage

note that it may be also possible to use local file storages (Data.fs
from local folders)
but as we have a not too small multiuser environment with several
servers we have no experience with that
so you may have to experiment on your own

Peter

________________________________

Re: external ZODB from Zope interface [ In reply to ]
gyro funch wrote at 2006-2-2 04:34 -0800:
>I am a Zope newbie with some Python experience. We have a large amount of scientific data that we are planning to load into several ZODBs.
>>From the Zope interface, how can I access these 'external'
>databases?

To access additional storages, you use
"Products.ZODBMountPoint.MountedObject.MountedObject" instances.

Mounting is similar to mounting under *nix.

--
Dieter