Mailing List Archive

2.3 branch checkins
If you noticed my recent checkins to zope-2_3-branch, and are wondering
about the official policy about such checkins, read on. Otherwise, please
ignore.

After discussing this with Brian, the official Zope Corp. position on
checkins to old release branches is as follows (Brian, please correct if I
misunderstood anything):

1. Zope Corp. has no intention of cutting any new releases of 2.3.x, or in
general any non-current release branch (NoCuRB).

2. Zope Corp. has no intention of officially supporting the fixing of bugs
in any NoCuRB, except via hotfixes.

3. Anyone with CVS write privileges should feel free to fix bugs in NoCuRBs.
Unless it doesn't make sense to do so, you should be sure that a bugfix is
in the current release branch and trunk as well. Please document changes as
you would in a current release branch.

4. Adding new features to NoCuRBs is *verboten*! Don't do it! New features
go in the trunk.

If somebody wants to take on the burden of creating and supporting a release
derived from a NoCuRB, feel free. If anybody is upset about bug
fixes/changes that didn't make it into your release, they can whine at you.
ZC doesn't have the resources right now to do this right and support it.

My personal pattern for making non-bugfix changes to my Zope 2.3 server is
to make the change in my sandbox, test it, then use cvs diff to make a patch
file in a Patches directory, like this: "cvs diff -u
lib/python/OFS/ObjectManager.py >../Patches/omchange". If I want to start a
new sandbox, I just "patch -p0 ../Patches/*" in the root of the new sandbox.

Cheers,

Evan @ Zope