Sidnei da Silva
Enfold Systems, LLC.
http://enfoldsystems.com
Re: Issue 1891 [ In reply to ]
On 17 Sep 2005, at 02:32, Sidnei da Silva wrote:

> Issue 1891 has a patch to remove some references to the 'whrandom'
> module, that has been deprecated since python2.1.
>
> I've cleaned up that patch and expanded it to remove *all* references
> to whrandom, including code that enabled it for use by 'Script
> (Python)'
> and DTML.
>
> It's my opinion that people using 'whrandom' explicitly should know
> what they are doing and won't be harmed too much by the removal of
> this.
>
> Any thoughts?

I'm all for removing deprecated stuff like that, the sticky point is
removing it in places that immediately breaks users' own scripts. You
can't do that within the 2.8 release cycle, sites breaking from one
third-dot release to the next is clearly a problem.

Can we handle the deprecation like other deprecations so far? For the
next release line, meaning Zope 2.9, emit deprecation warnings when
users have scripts with whrandom in Zope, and kill it completely in
2.10. On the other hand, all places where Zope uses whrandom
*internally* that don't have anything to do with user code could
probably be cleaned up right away.

jens

Re: Issue 1891 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 11:02:45AM +0200, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
| I'm all for removing deprecated stuff like that, the sticky point is
| removing it in places that immediately breaks users' own scripts. You
| can't do that within the 2.8 release cycle, sites breaking from one
| third-dot release to the next is clearly a problem.
|
| Can we handle the deprecation like other deprecations so far? For the
| next release line, meaning Zope 2.9, emit deprecation warnings when
| users have scripts with whrandom in Zope, and kill it completely in
| 2.10. On the other hand, all places where Zope uses whrandom
| *internally* that don't have anything to do with user code could
| probably be cleaned up right away.

I'm sure that can be done, probably by making whrandom import lazy in
the context of DTML methods and Python Scripts? (ie: just import when
it's used). I lack the time and knowledge to do that right now though.

--
Sidnei da Silva
Enfold Systems, LLC.