Mailing List Archive

[Zope-PTK] DemoPortal's PortalWizard and other wizards broken
Hallo all,

I am running Zope 2.1.2 in RedHat Linux 6.1
(CheapBytes 1 CD version).

I am having a problem with DemoPortal.

I have installed the PTK by following the instructions
at http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/install and
imported the DemoPortal.zexp file as a product of
(Control Panel | Products | DemoPortal) and got the
sucess message.

I then restarted Zope by using Zope's web Control
Panel

Most things of the installation looked as if they
worked, that is, the DemoPortal and its branches
appear below Control Panel | Products and the branches
that are NOT Wizards look OK.
The Wizards however appear to be broken.

Therefore in /Control_Panel / Products / DemoPortal /
Interfaces / generic / Wizards if I click in Document
(Document), File (File), Image (Image), Link (Link)or
NewsItem (News Item), I get a list like this:

00 (This object from the unknown product is broken!)
01 (This object from the unknown product is broken!)
02 (This object from the unknown product is broken!)

The Z Class at /Control_Panel / Products / DemoPortal
/ Wizard gives me similar messages:

WizardPage (This object from the unknown product is
broken!)

WizardPage_add (This object from the unknown product
is broken!)

WizardPage_addForm (This object from the unknown
product is broken!)

WizardPage_factory (This object from the unknown
product is broken!)

index_html (This object from the unknown product is
broken!)

test (This object from the unknown product is broken!)

Yes, I have read the text of the README tab of PTKBase
and PTKDemo and I know that sometimes it is needed to
restart Zope in Zope's (web) Control Panel. But I have
restarted it at least 10 (ten!) times and it still
does NOT work.

My Zope version is 2.1.2 I have read that PTK
requires Zope 2.1.3. However, I don't know if this
difference could be enough to cause this problem and,
besides, I can't find a way to easily upgrade the Zope
version to 2.1.3 (yes, I have read the HowTo on
upgrading Zope, but it just does not sound to be easy
enough!
;-)

Zope is being run as ZServer, but is being called from
Apache using ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse
directives. I am hiding the port number by using the
SiteAccess product -
http://www.zope.org/Members/4am/SiteAccess

Additional information:
- Server OS: RedHat Linux 6.1 (CheapBytes version)
- Web Server: Apache 1.3.9
- Zope version: 2.1.2
- Python version: 1.5.2-7

Could someone be kind enough to help me getting this
right? This Portal Toolkit sounds just like the thing
that I needed to implement in my College (I am the
WebMaster here :)

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,
http://im.yahoo.com
Re: [Zope-PTK] DemoPortal's PortalWizard and other wizards broken [ In reply to ]

> My Zope version is 2.1.2 I have read that PTK
> requires Zope 2.1.3. However, I don't know if this
> difference could be enough to cause this problem and,
> besides, I can't find a way to easily upgrade the Zope
> version to 2.1.3 (yes, I have read the HowTo on
> upgrading Zope, but it just does not sound to be easy
> enough!

I recommend you upgrade the Zope to 2.1.6. It's easy using the diff
release.
(1) Get Zope-2.1.x-to-2.1.6-src.tar.gz from zope.org
(2) Shutdown the Zope
(3) Go to the directory of your Zope installation.
(e.g. /usr/local/Zope-2.1.x-src)
(4) Expand Zope-2.1.x-to-2.1.6-src.tar.gz as follows:
tar zxf Zope-2.1.x-to-2.1.6-src.tar.gz
(5) Compile everything as follows:
python w_pcgi.py
(6) Restart the Zope

I am using the cvs version. You can get it as follows:

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.zope.org:/cvs-repository login
(password:anonymous)

cvs -z7 -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.zope.org:/cvs-repository checkout ZopePTK

When updating the previous cvs checkout to the latest version, in the
ZopePTK directory just run:

cvs -z7 -q up -P -d

--
Toshio Matsuda <matsuda-toshio@fujielectric.co.jp>
Re: [Zope-PTK] DemoPortal's PortalWizard and other wizards broken [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Ricardo Marques wrote:

> Hallo all,

Hello, and welcome.

> I get a list like this:
>
> 00 (This object from the unknown product is broken!)
> 01 (This object from the unknown product is broken!)
> 02 (This object from the unknown product is broken!)
>
> My Zope version is 2.1.2 I have read that PTK
> requires Zope 2.1.3. However, I don't know if this
> difference could be enough to cause this problem and,
> besides, I can't find a way to easily upgrade the Zope
> version to 2.1.3 (yes, I have read the HowTo on
> upgrading Zope, but it just does not sound to be easy
> enough!
> ;-)

I also recommend updating to the present release (2.1.6). The
version of Zope is the only thing that sounds unusual about your
configuration. I have not had a report of this particular bug from
anyone else, so I am pretty confident this will solve your problem.

Mike.

--
Mike Pelletier email: mike@digicool.com
Mild mannered software developer icq: 7127228
Re: [Zope-PTK] DemoPortal's PortalWizard and other wizards broken [ In reply to ]
Hallo Mike,

--- Mike Pelletier <mike@digicool.com> wrote:

> Hello, and welcome.

Thanks :)

(...)
> I also recommend updating to the present release
> (2.1.6). The version of Zope is the only thing that
> sounds unusual about your configuration. I have not

> had a report of this particular bug from
> anyone else, so I am pretty confident this will
> solve your problem.

In fact, upgrading to 2.1.6 *did* solve the problem.
I already sent an email to Toshio Matsuda thanking for
his very quick and efficient reply.

I wasn't however able to upgrade the Zope version
using the diff file ( I downloaded the binary version
with filename Zope-2.1.x-to-2.1.6-linux2-x86.tgz ),
because I eventually found out that I had some wrong
permissions in some files and directories.

Downloading the source file (Zope-2.1.6-src.tgz) and
trying to install it also gave me problems when I
wrote the python -O w_pcgi.py command at the Shell,
under user nobody:

Compiling extensions in lib/python
cp /usr/lib/python1.5/config/Makefile.pre.in .
cp: /usr/lib/python1.5/config/Makefile.pre.in: No such
file or directory
Traceback (innermost last):
File "/usr/local/Zope/w_pcgi.py", line 111, in ?
if __name__=='__main__': main(sys.argv[0])
[A bunch of another errors was here]

So I eventually downloaded the Zope 2.16 binary for
Linux ( Zope-2.1.6-linux2-x86.tgz ) and installed it.
This time everything worked out:

> su [to root]
> cp Zope-2.1.6-linux2-x86.tgz /usr/local
> cd /usr/local
> tar xvzf Zope-2.1.6-linux2-x86.tgz
> mv Zope-2.1.6-linux2-x86 Zope
> chown -R nobody:nobody Zope
> cd Zope
> su nobody
> ./install [still as nobody user]

> pico start
(I removed the switch -D so Zope is able to run as a
Daemon, therefore it now runs in the background)

> ./start [still as nobody]

And that's that :)
I then followed the installation instructions. I
haven't installed SiteAccess this time (just for
playing it safe).

And I now have the Portal Toolkit product working.

Knowing how to work *with it* is a whole different
story however, and the Zope Portal Toolkit Guide at
http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/PTK.html is not yet
complete which makes the learning curve quite steeper.

Oh well, I think these are the joys of a Content
Manager ;-)

Feel free to comment on anything I wrote here.

Thanks again and best wishes.

PS: I will probably start using my softhome.net
address from now on, since the wonderful traffic of
this mailing list is filling my Inbox quickly :)
http://im.yahoo.com
Re: [Zope-PTK] DemoPortal's PortalWizard and other wizards broken [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Ricardo Marques wrote:

> In fact, upgrading to 2.1.6 *did* solve the problem.
> I already sent an email to Toshio Matsuda thanking for
> his very quick and efficient reply.

Good to hear it. I wonder what the difference in pre 2.1.4 is.

> Downloading the source file (Zope-2.1.6-src.tgz) and
> trying to install it also gave me problems when I
> wrote the python -O w_pcgi.py command at the Shell,
> under user nobody:

It looks as though you don't have enough of Python installed. If
you compile and install it yourself, you end up with some support
files being installed which Zope's wo_pcgi.py uses to compile the C
modules. Unfortunately, a lot of the prepackaged Python distributions
don't include them, somewhat annoyingly. There is usually an
additional 'python-dev' package in these cases. Really, I don't think
there's any call to split this stuff out, but I don't run the Universe
(count your blessings).

> Knowing how to work *with it* is a whole different
> story however, and the Zope Portal Toolkit Guide at
> http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/PTK.html is not yet
> complete which makes the learning curve quite steeper.

This is true. Writing documentation is easy. Writing _useful_
documentation is hard. With this in mind, I think I'll move the rest
of the documentation into the ZWiki, so people can scribble on it and
say things like, "I need more information on this part," or, "This is
wrong, what's actually happening is..."

> PS: I will probably start using my softhome.net
> address from now on, since the wonderful traffic of
> this mailing list is filling my Inbox quickly :)

Ha-ha, you must not be on the main zope list.