Mailing List Archive

[Zope-PTK] feature request: news categories
Mike, et. al.,

I would like the PTK-based news product to be more Slashdot-like. I'm
planning to use the PTK for my school district's Web site. We are an
average sized district, but we have eight different schools and many other
departments and organizations. I would like to categorize the news content
so that my portal users can selectively filter the news so they can read
only that which is relevant to them. (Just like Slashdot.)

We've implemented this on our current site (http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/),
but without any of the user filtering. (Thanks to Kevin for a number of
helpful hints along the way.)

To make our site truly awesome, we'd also need:

* the ability to assign certain reviewers to certain categories
* potentially, (although this could be handled by reviewers) the ability
to restrict users to posting in certain categories.

At this point, and I'm stretching my Zope Zen a bit at this point, I've
been planning to subclass the PTK-News class to provide the extra
category stuff. Is this a reasonable approach? At the same time, I think
that there would be others who would be interested in news categories for
portals that lack the singular focus of Zope.org.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson | Visit Sibley online: | Check out:
Henry Sibley H.S. | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/
Re: [Zope-PTK] feature request: news categories [ In reply to ]
> I would like the PTK-based news product to be more Slashdot-like.

Butch has a number of interesting thoughts for Squishdot in a PTK-world. I
think he's talked about some on this list.

> To make our site truly awesome, we'd also need:
>
> * the ability to assign certain reviewers to certain categories
> * potentially, (although this could be handled by reviewers) the ability
> to restrict users to posting in certain categories.
>
> At this point, and I'm stretching my Zope Zen a bit at this point, I've
> been planning to subclass the PTK-News class to provide the extra
> category stuff. Is this a reasonable approach? At the same time, I think
> that there would be others who would be interested in news categories for
> portals that lack the singular focus of Zope.org.

I'm definitely interested in categories. Actually, I wonder what happened to
the original Topics idea that Amos had started up.

I think having some notion of categories at the heart of the PTK makes
sense. It may be possible to implement a categorization system by making a
Folder and role for each category and then setting access appropriately.
Maybe that's even the "right" way to do it, because you get the full
flexibility of the Zope security machinery, and you can still use Catalog to
give global views of the information.

Kevin
Re: [Zope-PTK] feature request: news categories [ In reply to ]
Hi Kevin,

At 14:59 Uhr -0500 15.02.2000, Kevin Dangoor wrote:
> > I would like the PTK-based news product to be more Slashdot-like.
>
>Butch has a number of interesting thoughts for Squishdot in a PTK-world. I
>think he's talked about some on this list.

How about a PTK version of KM|net news? This is a great product from
you and would defenitely be an interesting addition to the PTK.

Remeber you said you will defenitely provide an upgrade path to PTK -
that's probably the best way...

Imagine every user being able to submit articles for every news
category and all the whistle and bells of KM|net news.... Top stories
for the homePage, rankings, favorites... and later the customizing
features for every user: create your own portal newspage, select the
categories you'r most interested in and those Top-Stories will be
your homepage... ahh, great!!!!

Jochen
RE: [Zope-PTK] feature request: news categories [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I too am very interested in categories. When you talk about
subclassing the News object below and using folder do you
mean that the object would be stored in this folder?

The present PTK keeps all objects in the authors members folder or
children. I do not know if this is by design or just present
convenience. It does seem to simplify security and the review/
publishing mechaism seems to allow for managed publishing.

I am new to Zope and cannot yet figure out how to create an
object in another folder and set the correct permissions. I was
able to subclass the portal document object and add category
fields (properties). I am now struggling with trying to enter
this category property in the Catalog as a Keyword Field.

Then to simulated category lookup I would like to create
a search query that returns just items of a certain category.
It looks like the PTK wrapper around Zcatalog will ensure that
only authenticated users can see non-public items. The big problem
I have now is finding the syntax for getCatalog().searchResults(....)
to give me just the items with the keyWorks I want.

To automate the management and generation of the KeyWords, I was
going to use a "tree" of folders that have titles that match the
KeyWords. Then, using acquisition one query method would parse
the branches of the tree up to root and have the KeyWords. The
"tree" of keywords would be a hierarchical oncology of topics
hosted by this site. Adding a new topic is just adding a new
folder to the tree. Then a compact version of this tree needs to
be available to the user in the add and edit forms of the object
to ensure that correct KeyWords are used.

This is likely a ugly hack of an approach but, it fits in my feeble
mind and I can see the steps to complete it if I start getting
some help from the list ;).

Best,

Chip

Re: [Zope-PTK] feature request: news categories [ In reply to ]
Hi, Jochen

> At 14:59 Uhr -0500 15.02.2000, Kevin Dangoor wrote:
> > > I would like the PTK-based news product to be more Slashdot-like.
> >
> >Butch has a number of interesting thoughts for Squishdot in a PTK-world.
> >think he's talked about some on this list.
>
> How about a PTK version of KM|net news? This is a great product from
> you and would defenitely be an interesting addition to the PTK.

From some conversations with Butch a couple weeks back, I wouldn't be
surprised to see KM|Net News and Squishdot merge. Though today they are very
different in implementation and feel, I think it's possible that a single
Product could serve both needs well.

> Remeber you said you will defenitely provide an upgrade path to PTK -
> that's probably the best way...

There will be an upgrade path for sure. We've got more than 150 articles in
our KMNN now, and I'm not going to manually re-enter them :)

> Imagine every user being able to submit articles for every news
> category and all the whistle and bells of KM|net news.... Top stories
> for the homePage, rankings, favorites... and later the customizing
> features for every user: create your own portal newspage, select the
> categories you'r most interested in and those Top-Stories will be
> your homepage... ahh, great!!!!

There are indeed some great possibilities! Imagine those features you like
about KMNN and add the ability to have discussions attached to the articles,
if you wish... That's kind of what I'm seeing for the future (plus all of
the great customization and review stuff that PTK will enable).

Kevin
Re: [Zope-PTK] feature request: news categories [ In reply to ]