Document objects without necessarily having a number of the other Portal
features...)

Kevin
Re: [Zope-PTK] Membership separate from Portal? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Kevin Dangoor wrote:

> Like Membership, for example. Will the membership features (and the new
> LoginManager things) be strictly a part of the Portal? It seems like
> LoginManager could be a useful new component for Zope itself...

Exactly so! LoginManager is being developed as a separate Product,
which the PTK uses. So, yes, it will be available for other uses.

> (It also seems like people might want to be able to use News Items and
> Document objects without necessarily having a number of the other Portal
> features...)

Stripped of their PortalContent ancestory, these objects are so
trivial they don't even warrent reuse. Reverse engineering them as
ZClasses would take less time than trying to extract the Portal portions
of these versions.

Mike.

--
Mike Pelletier email: mike@digicool.com
Mild mannered software developer icq: 7127228
Re: [Zope-PTK] Membership separate from Portal? [ In reply to ]
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Kevin Dangoor wrote:
>
> > Like Membership, for example. Will the membership features (and the
new
> > LoginManager things) be strictly a part of the Portal? It seems like
> > LoginManager could be a useful new component for Zope itself...
>
> Exactly so! LoginManager is being developed as a separate Product,
> which the PTK uses. So, yes, it will be available for other uses.

Ahh... Glad to hear I misunderstood! :)

> > (It also seems like people might want to be able to use News Items
and
> > Document objects without necessarily having a number of the other Portal
> > features...)
>
> Stripped of their PortalContent ancestory, these objects are so
> trivial they don't even warrent reuse. Reverse engineering them as
> ZClasses would take less time than trying to extract the Portal portions
> of these versions.

You're probably right about that, I guess. The ZClasses are pretty simple.
Though, I do think that newbies would appreciate having the Document ZClass.
That's a way for them to create docs without touching DTML at all.

Kevin
Re: [Zope-PTK] Membership separate from Portal? [ In reply to ]
Kevin Dangoor wrote:

<snip>

> You're probably right about that, I guess. The ZClasses are pretty simple.
> Though, I do think that newbies would appreciate having the Document ZClass.
> That's a way for them to create docs without touching DTML at all.

I have a dead-simple STX_Document ZClass which I use for this. It has two
properties, title and body_stx, and uses the following for its index_html
method::

<dtml-var standard_html_header>

<h2> <dtml-var title> </h2>

<dtml-var body_stx fmt=structured-text>

<dtml-var standard_html_footer>

I guess I could package it up as a Product (it is currently buried in a
"utility" Product I have). Another useful feature might be a "STX Help" tab,
which demoed the syntax.

Tres.
Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com 713-523-6582
Palladion Software http://www.palladion.com
Re: [Zope-PTK] Membership separate from Portal? [ In reply to ]
> I have a dead-simple STX_Document ZClass which I use for this. It has two
> properties, title and body_stx, and uses the following for its index_html
> method::
>
> <dtml-var standard_html_header>
>
> <h2> <dtml-var title> </h2>
>
> <dtml-var body_stx fmt=structured-text>
>
> <dtml-var standard_html_footer>
>
> I guess I could package it up as a Product (it is currently buried in a
> "utility" Product I have). Another useful feature might be a "STX Help"
tab,
> which demoed the syntax.

This sounds like something people would like. I agree that this is really,
really simple. But, I've seen people coming from Frontierland and wondering
why they need to include <dtml-var standard_html_header> when Frontier
automatically includes headers and footers...

An STX_Document class is also useful because otherwise you need to make a
separate method to render the doc out to HTML, which seems a little hokey.

Aren't ZClasses great?

Kevin
Re: [Zope-PTK] Membership separate from Portal? [ In reply to ]
Kevin Dangoor wrote:

> [...]

OK, it is up at:

http://www.zope.org/Members/tseaver/STX_Document/

It is CatalogAware, and has a Help tab which dumps the documentation from the
StructuredText docstrings.

Let me know how it works,