Mailing List Archive

compiling linux-2.6.10-xen0 custom kernel udefined function
Hi!

I was trying to compile a custom 2.6.10 kernel for dom0 but i get those
errors:

drivers/xen/baloon.c: In function 'ballon_process':
drivers/xen/baloon.c:210: error: 'phys_to_machine_mapping' undeclared
(first use of this function)
drivers/xen/baloon.c:210: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reporte
only once for each function it appears in)
drivers/xen/baloon.c:210: error: 'INVALID_P2M_ENTRY' undeclared (first
use of this function)
drivers/xen/baloon.c:253: warning: Implicit declaration of function
'scrub_pages'
drivers/xen/baloon.c:275: warning: Implicit declaration of function
'mfn_to_pfn'
make[3]: *** [driver/xen/baloon/baloon.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [drivers/xen/baloon] Error 2
make[1]: *** [drivers/xen] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2

Maybe I have miss something in the configure process, but I have already
compiled some custom kernel (wich weren't able to coplete the boot
process due to the lack of modules to mount / ;-) ) without any error of
this kind.

Does anyone could give me some explanation of my errors?

Re: compiling linux-2.6.10-xen0 custom kernel udefined function [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> I was trying to compile a custom 2.6.10 kernel for dom0 but i get those
> errors:
>
> drivers/xen/baloon.c: In function 'ballon_process':
> drivers/xen/baloon.c:210: error: 'phys_to_machine_mapping' undeclared
> (first use of this function)
> drivers/xen/baloon.c:210: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reporte
> only once for each function it appears in)
> drivers/xen/baloon.c:210: error: 'INVALID_P2M_ENTRY' undeclared (first
> use of this function)
> drivers/xen/baloon.c:253: warning: Implicit declaration of function
> 'scrub_pages'
> drivers/xen/baloon.c:275: warning: Implicit declaration of function
> 'mfn_to_pfn'
> make[3]: *** [driver/xen/baloon/baloon.o] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [drivers/xen/baloon] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [drivers/xen] Error 2
> make: *** [drivers] Error 2

I got the same error on Debian 3.1 (sarge) with xen 2.0.5 stable and
testing.
After trying several kernel options the solution was just easy:

try e.g. "make ARCH=xen all" - the "ARCH=xen" seems to be important, not
only for menuconfig.

Good luck ;)
Re: compiling linux-2.6.10-xen0 custom kernel udefined function [ In reply to ]
> I got the same error on Debian 3.1 (sarge) with xen 2.0.5 stable and
> testing.
> After trying several kernel options the solution was just easy:
>
> try e.g. "make ARCH=xen all" - the "ARCH=xen" seems to be important, not
> only for menuconfig.

If you specify it for menuconfig, you'll end up with a load of Xen options
set. If you don't specify it for the actual build, then it'll try to build
some Xen drivers but not the core Xen functionality - it then gets very
confused :-)

So, as you say, specifyithng ARCH=xen to all Linux "make" invocations is the
Right Thing To Do :-)

Cheers,
Mark

Re: compiling linux-2.6.10-xen0 custom kernel udefined function [ In reply to ]
> So, as you say, specifyithng ARCH=xen to all Linux "make" invocations is the
> Right Thing To Do :-)

Now, as Xen is patching the kernel anyway, why don't you modify the makefile
too, to make the ARCH statically be 'xen'? That would probably resolv a lot
of reoccuring problems and questions.

Regards
Michael

--
It's an insane world, but i'm proud to be a part of it. -- Bill Hicks

Re: compiling linux-2.6.10-xen0 custom kernel udefined function [ In reply to ]
> So, as you say, specifyithng ARCH=xen to all Linux "make" invocations is the
> Right Thing To Do :-)

Now, as Xen is patching the kernel anyway, why don't you modify the makefile
too, to make the ARCH statically be 'xen'? That would probably resolve a lot

Re: compiling linux-2.6.10-xen0 custom kernel udefined function [ In reply to ]
> Now, as Xen is patching the kernel anyway, why don't you modify the
> makefile too, to make the ARCH statically be 'xen'? That would probably
> resolve a lot of reoccuring problems and questions.

It's a good point. It used to do that, I think it changed in an effort to
become as standard as possible (you build UML using "make ARCH=um", for
instance) and to minimise modifications made to standard Linux.

I'm inclined to prefer the current setup simply because it's likely to end up
being used once Xen is in mainline Linux, since we won't then be able to
tweak this variable...

If the build procedure for Linux is not mentioned in the manual yet, it
probably should be, though... I can't recall offhand.

Cheers,
Mark