Mailing List Archive

Xen and Gentoo - 2 tips
Just wanted to share (and archive) some tips for others.

This is just a quick note on how I got a stable Xen (2.0.5) Gentoo with
a fresh 2005.0 dom0 and an old gentoo server migrated to domU.

It was fairly easy (more details to follow -- time permitting), but xend
kept taking 100% cpu after about a day. I only ssh'd into domU and did
not think that the buffer/binary console on xend was a problem. Turns
out it was -- here is what I did to fix it:

1. (I use syslog-ng, but you get the idea) Disable logging to the
console. Comment out this line in /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf:

#log { source(src); destination(console_all); flags(fallback); };

and restart syslog-ng. (This should solve your xend "buffer" problems.

2. This will not eliminate binary output on the console, but it
eliminates most of the binary (colors, etc) from the startup scripts.
Add "--nocolor" to your grub.conf (for dom0 if you want) or in the domU
start file in 'extra="--nocolor"'.

Hope this helps,

Jeb
--