Mailing List Archive

virtual MAC address prefixes
Hi folks,

We'd like to setup a number of virtual servers as xen instances which
would be able to be migrated among physical machines as needed. These
servers would host services such a Grid middleware servers, condor
scheduler head nodes, web servers, etc..

We would need each of these virtual servers to be available to the
outside via a static IP address, and would like to assign these
static IPs via DHCP, using the MAC address of the virtual servers.

So, my question is as follows: are people doing this, and if so what
is the recommended MAC address prefix that is used to signify that
these are Xen instances and not real physical interfaces.

Phrased another way, we'd like to map Xen instance MAC address -> a
virtual server instance, and would like to know how people are doing
this, and what MAC address prefix they are using.

Thanx so much,

rob