Mailing List Archive

Problem when booting Xen for the first time.
Hi all.
I wanna try Xen to compare it face to VMWare and face to QEmu but I've a
little problem.
I've installed it correctly - I think - and define in the grub.conf file
the following entry :
title Xen 2.0 / XenLinux 2.6.10
root (hd0,0)
kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=131072
module /vmzlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 root=/dev/hda1 ro console=tty0

My Linux main partition is on hda1.
Files xen.gz and vmzlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 are present on /boot (I must also
highlight a problem in Xen documentation taht say to write /boot/xen.gz and
/boot/vmzlinuz... in the grub file. But when specifying /boot grub don't
find the files).

The problem is that Xen kernel boot (xen file is find) and apparently
vmzlinuz too but reboot after some few seconds. The only message I can read
is :
Kernel Panic : Syncing no init found try passing init= option to
kernel

Anyone have an ideas about that ??? What initrd image must I set to solve
this ?
What debug informations can I give you to detail more accurately the
problem ?

Thanks.
JB

Re: Problem when booting Xen for the first time. [ In reply to ]
Simple answer: your root= option is wrong, it should probably be
root=/dev/hda2 or similar.

If your xen.gz and kernel image files live in /boot and grub can find
e.g /xen.gz rather than /boot/xen.gz on hd0,0, then you will find
that your Linux installation has a separate /boot partition (hda1) and
the root partition is elsewhere (e.g. hda2). Boot into native Linux
and run "mount" to see. The root partition (mounted as /) is the one you
want to use with root= on the kernel command line.

The documentation isn't wrong, it shows a typical example which will
vary with particular configurations.

James

Re: Problem when booting Xen for the first time. [ In reply to ]
I suggest taking the extra 'z' out of 'vmzlinuz' as a start :)
It should be vmlinuz not vmzlinuz

Re: Problem when booting Xen for the first time. [ In reply to ]
Le Wed, May 11, 2005 at 01:38:06PM +0000, Jack B [simply_jb@hotmail.com] a écrit:
> title Xen 2.0 / XenLinux 2.6.10
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=131072
> module /vmzlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 root=/dev/hda1 ro console=tty0
>
> My Linux main partition is on hda1.
> Files xen.gz and vmzlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 are present on /boot (I must
> also highlight a problem in Xen documentation taht say to write
> /boot/xen.gz and /boot/vmzlinuz... in the grub file. But when
> specifying /boot grub don't find the files).

The Xen documentation is not wrong. It describes a case where /boot is
in the same partition as /, whereas in your case your seem to have /boot
on a separate one.

Dom

--
Dominique Rousseau
Neuronnexion, Prestataire Internet & Intranet