I have managed to set up a Xen 2.0.5 from Source on Debian Sarge and up to
now, there are 4 additional domains running. So far, so good.

The underlying system has a 3ware ATA RAID controller running a RAID1 raid. I
now would like to monitor the status of the raid, so I have to run a certain
3ware_cli command in dom0. This command tries to access /proc/scsi/3w-xxxx but
does not find it (it's not there). Is there anything I can do to help it?

Best regards,
Carsten Tolkmit

Re: 3ware controller monitoring [ In reply to ]
Le Wed, May 11, 2005 at 09:21:24AM +0200, Carsten Tolkmit
[xen-users@energy.spam.aenigma.de] a écrit:
> The underlying system has a 3ware ATA RAID controller running a RAID1 raid.
> I now would like to monitor the status of the raid, so I have to run a
> certain 3ware_cli command in dom0. This command tries to access
> /proc/scsi/3w-xxxx but does not find it (it's not there). Is there anything
> I can do to help it?

Are you sure that your driver for the 3ware card is loaded ?

Here, we have a server with Xen, and 3ware card, and /proc/scsi/3w-xxxx
is there.

Dom

--
Dominique Rousseau
Neuronnexion, Prestataire Internet & Intranet

Re: 3ware controller monitoring [ In reply to ]
Hi again,

>>The underlying system has a 3ware ATA RAID controller running a RAID1 raid.
>>I now would like to monitor the status of the raid, so I have to run a
>>certain 3ware_cli command in dom0. This command tries to access
>>/proc/scsi/3w-xxxx but does not find it (it's not there). Is there anything
>>I can do to help it?
>

> Are you sure that your driver for the 3ware card is loaded ?

I thought that if I can access the drive (with the root filesystem on it, for
example) through /dev/sda, I can be pretty sure the driver is loaded.

Furthermore, the following is true:

> grep 3W /boot/config-2.6.10-xen0
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_3W_XXXX_RAID=y
# CONFIG_SCSI_3W_9XXX is not set

As you can see, the domain 0 kernel is configured for the block device.

Also, running dmesg in dom0 shows:

3ware Storage Controller device driver for Linux v1.26.02.000.
PCI: Obtained IRQ 18 for device 0000:02:03.0
scsi0 : 3ware Storage Controller
3w-xxxx: scsi0: Found a 3ware Storage Controller at 0xd000, IRQ: 18.
Vendor: 3ware Model: Logical Disk 0 Rev: 1.2

So I think it must be there. Or am I wrong?
This is all a little new for me.

Best regards,
Carsten

Re: 3ware controller monitoring [ In reply to ]
Hi again,

I think I solved my problem. I was using wrong cli / 3dmd software for the
controller. Newer versions fixed the problem, the newer versions do not rely
on /proc/scsi/3w-xxx

Thanks again,
Carsten