Mailing List Archive

Suse 9.3 boot problem
Hi there

I got Suse 9.3 on a raid 1 (md0 :boot and root and md1
home)
When I try to get the xen kernel booted, the process
goes up to a certain point and then reboots

I got two problems:
1) Since I used default suse parameters I would assume
all my settings should be OK, so why does it not boot?

2) When booting and getting to the reboot point, it
holds the messages only for one second. How can I make
this timeout larger (tried panic=30 in grub's menu.lst
and echo 30 > /proc/sys/kernel/panic, both in vain)?

thanks

Re: Suse 9.3 boot problem [ In reply to ]
Hi Chris,

I don't know the solution, but I don't think that writing
into /proc survives the reboot. On my SUSE 9.3 I have some
kernel settings in /etc/sysctl.conf which are then written
into /proc with /etc/init.d/boot.sysctl
(sysctl -e -p /etc/sysctl.conf)
but I don't know if this script is run before your panic.
So I hope there is a better solution.

BTW - did you try booting from the GRUB commandline, maybe
into runlevel 1 at a first try?

Regards,
Friedl

Re: Suse 9.3 boot problem [ In reply to ]
Dear List, dear Friedl and John

>Chris,
> It sounds like you and I are having the same issue.
>1) add panic=60 to the end of your xen kernel line
>(after showopts). This
>will allow you to read the screen before it reboots

You guys are great, figuring thios out would have
taken many beers :-) This really helped, now I could
shoot a picture of the boot screen if I still needed
to (as someone else suggested) but...

>2) I am seeing issues loading what looks like ext3
and >jkd modules. with
>some type of struct_ error, my autoraid is starting,
I >get a mount error
>something like invalid option, then BLAM panic.

... my install claims to load reiserfs kernel module
for the default kernel. I plaid around with Suse 9.e
packages from Garloff's page. It worked there. Thus I
Think it muts be hidden either in the initrd or some
config file.

>On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Friedmund Lassmann wrote:

>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> I don't know the solution, but I don't think that
>writing
>> into /proc survives the reboot.

You ar perfectly right: it does not. So John's
solution is the way to overcome thisone (add panic=xx
after showopts in grub menu.lst file).

[

Re: Suse 9.3 boot problem [ In reply to ]
Chris,

Re: Suse 9.3 boot problem [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 19:26 +0200, Chris Epicier wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I got Suse 9.3 on a raid 1 (md0 :boot and root and md1
> home)
> When I try to get the xen kernel booted, the process
> goes up to a certain point and then reboots
>
> I got two problems:
> 1) Since I used default suse parameters I would assume
> all my settings should be OK, so why does it not boot?
>
> 2) When booting and getting to the reboot point, it
> holds the messages only for one second. How can I make
> this timeout larger (tried panic=30 in grub's menu.lst
> and echo 30 > /proc/sys/kernel/panic, both in vain)?

Add noreboot to the kernel line to keep from rebooting.