Mailing List Archive

YASQ Re: XendemoCD 2.0.5
Sorry to ask Yet Another Stupid Question, but I'm going to be using Xen in a
"production" capacity soon, porting a piece of FreeBSD (and NetBSD)
Linux-way. Xen seems to be ideal for such a deed.

Is it possible to install from the XendemoCD? (I want to install all three
OSes, wiping out most of my current Mandrake 10.0 install on that particular
system - what I need isn't what rpm gives me, and I want to only keep
the /home directory.)

Any advice, hints, war stories, etc, gratefully accepted.

Wesley Parish

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:02, Tim Deegan wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 03:32:21PM +1200, Wesley Parish wrote:
> > I read earlier this year that the second XendemoCD beta had a NetBSD as
> > well as a FreeBSD and a couple of Debian filesystem images - what
> > filesystem images does the latest XendemoCD have?
>
> Debian GNU/linux (only one filesystem, but 2.4 and 2.6 kernels), NetBSD
> and FreeBSD.
>
> > (And has anyone got a XendemoCD with Plan9 on it in addition?)
>
> Alas, there wasn't space. I looked briefly at doing that, but the only
> plan9 image I found was vary large.
>
> Tim.

-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?

Re: YASQ Re: XendemoCD 2.0.5 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:48:26AM +1200, Wesley Parish wrote:
> Is it possible to install from the XendemoCD?

Hmm. It would be a hack, and I definitely wouldn't recommend it, but I
guess it would be possible. The images on the demo CD aren't intended
to be a distribution -- they have some very sparsely documented
demo-specific changes to things like the startup scripts that would need
to be un-done to use them as normal images. But if you just want to use
it for prototyping or playing around, then sure, they're just filesystem
images and they could be used with the loopback option in xm create or
dd'd into a partition.

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan (My opinions, not the University's)
Systems Research Group