Mailing List Archive

"vmid-based VMs" xendomains script addition
See attached xendomains init script and the comments and a
pseudocode representation of the logic added (below).

This is not endorsed in any way by the Xen team. It's
something I wanted and I can see others wanting it as
well...maybe.

AUTODIR_VMIDBASED=/etc/xen/auto-vmid
VMIDBASED_CONFIG=/etc/xen/auto-vmid/vmid-based.cfg
# If configured for it, create the "vmid-based" VMs. This
# logic is based on the idea that you have a single master
# controller configuration file with code in it to make use
# of a passed-in VM identifier (like /etc/xen/xmexample2 in
# the Xen distribution). It expects the configuration file
# to be set at the top of this script as VMIDBASED_CONFIG
# and will loop over everything in AUTODIR_VMIDBASED and try
# to pass each filename to 'xm create...blah...vmid=THATFILENAME".
# For example, to enable my 3 VMs, I have my config file in
# the proper place and my 3 separate VM OS images already
# configured -- then I run "touch 1 2 3" and from there on out
# the code below will create the VMs every time this script
# runs.

if AUTODIR_VMIDBASED directory exists and has more than 1 file
if VMIDBASED_CONFIG file exists
for every "filename" in AUTODIR_VMIDBASED
if filename is same as VMIDBASED_CONFIG
skip over it
else
xm create ... VMIDBASED_CONFIG vmid=filename
endif
end-of-for-loop
endif
endif