Does anyone knows when VT ('Vanderpool Technology' or the new name Intel
Virtualization Technology) enabled XEN version will be released?

Thanks, Arnon.
Re: VT/IVT enabled xen version [ In reply to ]
>Does anyone knows when VT ('Vanderpool Technology' or the new name Intel
>Virtualization Technology) enabled XEN version will be released?

The unstable tree has supported VT since late 2004; you can use this
now, or wait for the next major release of Xen (3.0).

cheers,

S.

Re: VT/IVT enabled xen version [ In reply to ]
Greetings,

On a similar note, does anyone know when processors with VT (Intel) for
Pacifca (amd) will be generally available?

Jason

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 11:26 +0300, Einhar, Arnon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone knows when VT (‘Vanderpool Technology’ or the new name
> Intel Virtualization Technology) enabled XEN version will be released?
>
> Thanks, Arnon.

Jason Ruiter
Research Scientist
Altarum Institute
Ann Arbor, Michigan
(v)734.302.4724 (m)248.345.4598 (f)734.302.4991
jason.ruiter at altarum dot org
Re: VT/IVT enabled xen version [ In reply to ]
> Cool. I don't remember seeing that in the road-map page as part of the
> 3.0 new features list...

That list probably needs updating again...

> Do you believe VT will simplify the execution of Windows OS XEN domain?
> I guess that until VT virtualizes the whole platform and not just the
> CPU (which we got with current VT), we will still need xend-Windows
> version.

Yes, it will. In VT mode, Xen and dom0 co-operate to simulate the rest of the
devices of the PC platform - that code is in the current unstable tree. For
full performance, you'd probably still install versions of the Xen device
drivers once the domain was up and running, however.

The code in the unstable tree can run an unmodified Linux install in a VT-mode
virtual machine already. Further work is required to get Windows booting,
since (IIRC) it uses a load of 16 bit cruft which is not currently supported.
I'm not sure that Windows support will be available for 3.0 but it will
become available eventually.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: VT/IVT enabled xen version [ In reply to ]
Am Donnerstag, den 21.04.2005, 18:25 +0100 schrieb Mark Williamson:
> The code in the unstable tree can run an unmodified Linux install in a VT-mode
> virtual machine already.

So for VT mode there is no VT CPU support (intel vanderpool or amd
pacifica) necessary? Afaik such processors are not available yet? I read
something like "for VT to work the CPU has to support a mode called VMX
or 'ring -1'" - whatever that means ...

/nils (an interested layman)

Re: VT/IVT enabled xen version [ In reply to ]
> So for VT mode there is no VT CPU support (intel vanderpool or amd
> pacifica) necessary?

Unfortunately, yes, you do need a VT CPU.

> Afaik such processors are not available yet?

They do exist but they're not available to buy ;-) We have a number of them
in Cambridge. People from Intel are writing the VT code themselves.

> I read
> something like "for VT to work the CPU has to support a mode called VMX
> or 'ring -1'" - whatever that means ...

VT adds an "root mode" and a "non root" mode to the usual 4 rings. "Ring -1"
is basically root mode ring 0, which is what the hypervisor runs in.

Cheers,
Mark

RE: VT/IVT enabled xen version [ In reply to ]
$B!!(BCambridge$B$K$O!"(BVT enable$B$N(BCPU$B$,$"$k$H8@$C$F$^$9$M!#(B
$B$&$A$K$bM_$7$$$G$9$M!#$3$N:]!"(BVT-x$B$G$b$$$$$+$i!#(B

/*
$B%5!<%PK\(B)Linux$B%=%U%H3+E}(B
$B9>F#(B $B7=Li(B
$BFb@~(B:7551-5740
*/

Williamson

RE: VT/IVT enabled xen version [ In reply to ]
Where can I download the 3.0 unstable tree from?

Thanks, Arnon.

Re: VT/IVT enabled xen version [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 01 May 2005 13:37, Einhar, Arnon wrote:
> Where can I download the 3.0 unstable tree from?

Get snapshot tarballs from:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/downloads.html

Or download using BitKeeper from:
bk://xen.bkbits.net/xeno-unstable.bk