Mailing List Archive

xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)
Hi

As per previous post I have managed to create and use domains running
variants of linux at a command level.

However, any Remote Desktop or VNC or ssh -X connection to the domain
seems to fial as X won't start.

If I try and start the X server from the console via startx I gwet the
following error message :-

"xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)"

Is this because my domainU is missing some modules ?

I appreciate that domainU should be lighter than domain0 but if within
domian1 I type lsmod I get :-

stewart@localhost log $ lsmod
Module Size Used by

i.e. no modules at all.

Is this the cause of my problem?

Regards

Stewart

Re: xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory) [ In reply to ]
> If I try and start the X server from the console via startx I gwet the
> following error message :-

You can't just startx because it'll look for a graphics card (which it doesn't
have).

You could run "vncserver" directly (which will start an X server with a
virtual displayitself).

To use "ssh -X" you don't need to startx first. Just run "ssh -X" then when
you're logged in, run "xterm". If that doesn't work, post the error message.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory) [ In reply to ]
Thanks Mark

> You could run "vncserver" directly (which will start an X server with a
> virtual displayitself).

I installed tinyvnc into both the domainU and the domain0. Started
"vncserver :1" in domainU and "vncviewer 10.0.0.2:1" and that worked.

> To use "ssh -X" you don't need to startx first. Just run "ssh -X" then when
> you're logged in, run "xterm". If that doesn't work, post the error message.

ssh -X 10.0.0.2 followed by xterm did not work.

Error :-
stewart@localhost stewart $ xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
xterm: DISPLAY is not set

Stewart

Re: xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 08:58:45AM +0100, Stewart Outram wrote:
> Thanks Mark
> >
> > You could run "vncserver" directly (which will start an X server with a
> > virtual displayitself).
>
> I installed tinyvnc into both the domainU and the domain0. Started
> "vncserver :1" in domainU and "vncviewer 10.0.0.2:1" and that worked.
> >
> > To use "ssh -X" you don't need to startx first. Just run "ssh -X" then when
> > you're logged in, run "xterm". If that doesn't work, post the error message.
> >
> ssh -X 10.0.0.2 followed by xterm did not work.
>
> Error :-
> stewart@localhost stewart $ xterm
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
> xterm: DISPLAY is not set

My x11forwarding-enabled SSH-setup sets DISPLAY automagically, so I assume
you don't have enabled the neccessary options for that?
Check your server or client site /etc/ssh/ssh*_config files for that.
I have enabled x11F in both the server and the client iirc, but I don't
know exactly which one is neccessary ;-)