Mailing List Archive

Error creating domain: (12, 'Cannot allocate memory')
I have Centos 4.1 running on Xen (Dom0), and it works fine. However,
when I try to start a new domain via xm create, I get the following
error:

Error: Error creating domain: (12, 'Cannot allocate memory')

I have 512 MB on the machine.

Here are some copies of output:

[root@persephone rc3.d]# xm list
Name Id Mem(MB) CPU State Time(s) Console
Domain-0 0 57 0 r---- 88.2

[root@persephone rc3.d]# xm info
system : Linux
host : persephone
release : 2.6.11.10-xen0
version : #1 Sun May 22 11:38:50 BST 2005
machine : i686
cores : 1
hyperthreads_per_core : 1
cpu_mhz : 400
memory : 511
free_memory : 435

[root@persephone rc3.d]# cat /etc/xen/xen.conf
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xenU"
memory = 128
name = "Test"
disk = ['phy:hda5,hda5,w']
root = "/dev/hda5 ro"

After running the command, I have some seemingly zombie domains:

[root@persephone rc3.d]# xm create /etc/xen/xen.conf -c
Using config file "/etc/xen/xen.conf".
Error: Error creating domain: (12, 'Cannot allocate memory')

[root@persephone rc3.d]# xm list
Name Id Mem(MB) CPU State Time(s) Console
Domain-0 0 57 0 r---- 90.4
Domain-6 6 128 0 --p-- 0.0

I have to kill them using xm destroy Domain-X. Note that I do not
specify the name of Domain-X; instead, it is supposed to be called
Test.

I have tried using balloon to adjust memory on Dom-0, and while that
works (xm list shows the new amount being used), it does not allow me
to create any new domains.

Thanks in advance for the help!
--
Wyatt

Accident, n.:
A condition in which presence of mind is good, but absence of
body is better.
-- Foolish Dictionary
Re: Error creating domain: (12, 'Cannot allocate memory') [ In reply to ]
Try with

system : Linux
host : persephone
release : 2.6.11.10-xen0
version : #1 Sun May 22 11:38:50 BST 2005
machine : i686
cores : 1
hyperthreads_per_core : 1
cpu_mhz : 400
memory : 256
free_memory : 435

for your host. 128Mo + 256Mo is < 512

> I have Centos 4.1 running on Xen (Dom0), and it works fine.
However,
> when I try to start a new domain via xm create, I get the
following
> error:
>
> Error: Error creating domain: (12, 'Cannot allocate memory')
>
> I have 512 MB on the machine.
>
> Here are some copies of output:
>
> [root@persephone rc3.d]# xm list
> Name Id Mem(MB) CPU State Time(s) Console
> Domain-0 0 57 0 r---- 88.2
>
> [root@persephone rc3.d]# xm info
> system : Linux
> host : persephone
> release : 2.6.11.10-xen0
> version : #1 Sun May 22 11:38:50 BST 2005
> machine : i686
> cores : 1
> hyperthreads_per_core : 1
> cpu_mhz : 400
> memory : 511
> free_memory : 435
>
> [root@persephone rc3.d]# cat /etc/xen/xen.conf
> kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xenU"
> memory = 128
> name = "Test"
> disk = ['phy:hda5,hda5,w']
> root = "/dev/hda5 ro"
>
> After running the command, I have some seemingly zombie domains:
>
> [root@persephone rc3.d]# xm create /etc/xen/xen.conf -c
> Using config file "/etc/xen/xen.conf".
> Error: Error creating domain: (12, 'Cannot allocate memory')
>
> [root@persephone rc3.d]# xm list
> Name Id Mem(MB) CPU State Time(s) Console
> Domain-0 0 57 0 r---- 90.4
> Domain-6 6 128 0 --p-- 0.0
>
> I have to kill them using xm destroy Domain-X. Note that I
do not
> specify the name of Domain-X; instead, it is supposed to be
called
> Test.
>
> I have tried using balloon to adjust memory on Dom-0, and
while that
> works (xm list shows the new amount being used), it does not
allow me
> to create any new domains.
>
> Thanks in advance for the help!
> --
> Wyatt
>
> Accident, n.:
> A condition in which presence of mind is good, but absence of
> body is better.
> -- Foolish Dictionary

Jean-Michel Caricand

Adresse professionnelle
GRETA de Besançon
35 avenue de Montrapon
25000 BESANCON
jean-michel.caricand@greta-besancon.com
http://www.greta-besancon.com

Re: Error creating domain: (12, 'Cannot allocate memory') [ In reply to ]
How do I set that up? I have tried setting the dom0_mem argument in
grub, I have tried setting the mem argument in grub, I have tried to
use balloon, etc, all to no avail.

When I run xm info, I see that there is 435 MB free. Why is this not
being used?

Thanks in advance.
--
Wyatt

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.