Mailing List Archive

network connection to and from domain0 does not work
Hello everybody,

I installed Xen on my suse 9.2 system. Up to now I can
do the following things:

Boot into XEN
Start xend
Automatically start a virtual Domain (ttylinux)

My problem is that after starting XEN I cannot reach
any other client on my network any more.
The only machine I can ping is the virtual ttylinux
vm.
Therefore I cannot reach the XEN machine from outside
using ssh or telnet.

The ttylinux itself vm works fine. From there I can
reach every other machine in my network using ping!!!
So the nic itself should not be the problem.

Regards

Rigas

Re: network connection to and from domain0 does not work [ In reply to ]
> My problem is that after starting XEN I cannot reach
> any other client on my network any more.
> The only machine I can ping is the virtual ttylinux
> vm.
> Therefore I cannot reach the XEN machine from outside
> using ssh or telnet.

Disable telnet anyway ;)

I had this problem too, and at least on my installation (from the binary
tarball, ive reinstalled from source since then and it works fine). For
some reason dispite having the bridge utilities installed the scripts
located at /etc/xen/scripts kept failing. If your ifconfig from your
hypervisor is correctly reporting the vifX.0 and the bridge, then see if
the following command works

/etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge up domain=<DOMAINANME> vif=vif<X>.0
bridge=xen-brO ip=192.168.0.1/24 (or whatever range you want)

It may require you to place a mac address in, so anything like
00:00:00:00:00:AA would be fine.

***REDACTED FOR PRIVACY***
---------------------------
***REDACTED FOR PRIVACY***
***REDACTED FOR PRIVACY***
Re: network connection to and from domain0 does not work [ In reply to ]
Rigas,
If you're using bridging check to see if you have the brctl controls
installed. I ran into the same problem and it was because brctl wasn't on
my system and XEN didn't report an error when it tried to create a bridge.
You may be able to tell if once you start your XEN vm's you type ifconfig
and you don't see a xen-br0 interface.

Kevin

Re: network connection to and from domain0 does not work [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I have a similar Problem:

I have a Debian-Sarge linux running, and after booting with xen
everything works fine. No problem to ping anything in the internet.
But after I start xend and it installes the bridge I loose my internet
connection (and the connection to my normal lan along with it). I
allready checked ifconfig and route and everything seems to be fine.
Only thing that came to my attention was, that the route command took
some time to display the route to my gateway.
After reading your posts I checked the brctl controlls and the scripts
in /etc/xen/scripts and again everything seems fine. Any other ideas?

Regards,

Nils

Re: network connection to and from domain0 does not work [ In reply to ]
If you disable the firewall does that "fix" the problem?

network connection to and from domain0 does not work [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your replies.
In the meantime I found out that after booting of dom0
and dom1 I get the following message:

"canĀ“t initialize iptables. Table filter iptables
who?"

How can I disable the firewall or how can I check that
it is disabled? I booted into the Suse Kernel and
disabled it there ... but I am not sure wether this is
the right way to do that.

Thanks for your help.

Rigas