What about Windows 2000?

Thanks in advance

Joe F...

Re: Windows O/S on Xen [ In reply to ]
Joseph Fisher wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
>
> I see in the overview page of Xen that a port of Windows XP was developed for an earlier version, but is no longer available, due to licensing restrictions...
>
> Are any Windows O/S's supported?
>
> What about Windows 2000?

As the Windows kernel needs to be modified and Microsoft controls
distribution (and the source) -- No.

However, Xen is adding support for Vanderpool/VT (Intel) and Pacifica
(AMD) which will allow *unmodified* guests to run (Like Solaris,
Windows, etc).

I think it will be working for the Xen 3.0 release, however I'm not sure
about availability of hardware.
--
Jeb Campbell
jebc@c4solutions.net

Re: Windows O/S on Xen [ In reply to ]
On 16 Jun 2005, at 20:26, Jeb Campbell wrote:

> Joseph Fisher wrote:
>
>> To whom it may concern,
>> I see in the overview page of Xen that a port of Windows XP was
>> developed for an earlier version, but is no longer available, due
>> to licensing restrictions...
>> Are any Windows O/S's supported?
>> What about Windows 2000?
>>

> As the Windows kernel needs to be modified and Microsoft controls
> distribution (and the source) -- No.
>
> However, Xen is adding support for Vanderpool/VT (Intel) and
> Pacifica (AMD) which will allow *unmodified* guests to run (Like
> Solaris, Windows, etc).
>
> I think it will be working for the Xen 3.0 release, however I'm not
> sure about availability of hardware.

Is there not a chance microsoft would make a modified version
available to people who already have licenses?
Or are they more concerned with pushing their own virtual server
product...