Mailing List Archive

Distribution to use
Hello
I am starting out on Xen. I have a P4 machine with 512Mb RAM. The only issue i
am facing is selection of the right linux distribution.

If anyone can recommend one of the following:

a) slackware
b) debian
c) FC3

Appreciate any help.
--
Asaf Maruf Ali
PING Systems

Re: Distribution to use [ In reply to ]
Le Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 04:56:30PM +0600, Asaf Maruf Ali [asaf@ping.com.pk] a écrit:
> Hello
> I am starting out on Xen. I have a P4 machine with 512Mb RAM. The only issue i
> am facing is selection of the right linux distribution.
>
> If anyone can recommend one of the following:
>
> a) slackware
> b) debian
> c) FC3

We use Debian as Dom0 and DomU, and working well.

But like many « which Linux distribution is the best » questions, you
should probably use the one you know :)

--
Dominique Rousseau
Neuronnexion, Prestataire Internet & Intranet

Re: Distribution to use [ In reply to ]
It shouldn't matter much - as the other poster said, you might as well choose
the one you're most familiar with.

Debian has Xen 2.0-stable packages (in the experimental repository). FC4 (not
3) has Xen 3.0-unstable packages, SuSE 9.3 has Xen 2.0-stable packages. For
other distros, Xen support should be quite easy to add.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: Distribution to use [ In reply to ]
Asaf Maruf Ali wrote:
> Hello
> I am starting out on Xen. I have a P4 machine with 512Mb RAM. The only issue i
> am facing is selection of the right linux distribution.
>
> If anyone can recommend one of the following:
>
> a) slackware
> b) debian
> c) FC3

I noticed you didn't ask about gentoo.

I set up my xen system using gentoo and I've become increasingly
disenchanted with gentoo as a distribution. It gives your fantastic
control and has a wonderful up-to-date set of packages but the update
process is killing me. It takes forever especially when you have five
virtual machines all with different USE variables.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could automate the install process but it's
so manual you can't help but sit there and babysit it. I usually have
to spend something like eight hours per month managing the updates of
six machines what with all the broken emerges and configuration file
merging.

My vote would be for a debian variant like ubuntu. I have ubuntu
running on my astronomy laptop and other than the fact I've had to build
xephem and qastrocam by hand, it's been really wonderful in terms of
management etc.

It's almost at a point where I am considering redoing my xen environment
with ubuntu.

---eric

--
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.03/view.html?pg=5

The result of the duopoly that currently defines "competition" is that
prices and service suck. We're the world's leader in Internet
technology - except that we're not.

Re: Distribution to use [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 10:51:28AM +0100, Mark Williamson wrote:
> It shouldn't matter much - as the other poster said, you might as well choose
> the one you're most familiar with.
>
> Debian has Xen 2.0-stable packages (in the experimental repository).

These are 2.0.5 though so they miss some useful features, like being
able to name vifs. I started with these and ended up building from
source anyway.
Re: Distribution to use [ In reply to ]
> If anyone can recommend one of the following:
>
> a) slackware
> b) debian
> c) FC3
>
> Appreciate any help.

I'm happy with Debian. I wrote a detailed HOWTO based on Adam Heath's
Packages: http://www.xmlvalidation.com/xen_howto_sarge.0.html

Christian