yum distro) domU. I'm stumped for ideas, everywhere else it talks
about installing fedora but it has the luxury of using yum. Please can
someone help me with a guide as to how to accomplish this. I've
searched google but I'm not having much luck.

So far I've got a partition /dev/hda5. I ran MAKEDEV, but after this
I'm stuck about do I install an the os into it?

Many thanks for your help.

Shaz

Re: How to install a domu [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 17:18 +0100, Shahzad Chohan wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I know this is probably a basic question, but I'm having real
> difficulty in trying to figure out a way of installing a rhel 3 (not a
> yum distro) domU. I'm stumped for ideas, everywhere else it talks
> about installing fedora but it has the luxury of using yum. Please can
> someone help me with a guide as to how to accomplish this. I've
> searched google but I'm not having much luck.
>
> So far I've got a partition /dev/hda5. I ran MAKEDEV, but after this
> I'm stuck about do I install an the os into it?
I've done this before where I do a normal OS install on a separate
partition, then use that as DomU.

> Many thanks for your help.
>
> Shaz

David F Barrera
Linux Technology Center
Systems and Technology Group, IBM

"The wisest men follow their own direction. "
Euripides

Re: How to install a domu [ In reply to ]
David F Barrera wrote on 15/06/05 17:26:
> On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 17:18 +0100, Shahzad Chohan wrote:
>
>>Hi guys,
>>
>>I know this is probably a basic question, but I'm having real
>>difficulty in trying to figure out a way of installing a rhel 3 (not a
>>yum distro) domU. I'm stumped for ideas, everywhere else it talks
>>about installing fedora but it has the luxury of using yum. Please can
>>someone help me with a guide as to how to accomplish this. I've
>>searched google but I'm not having much luck.
>>
>>So far I've got a partition /dev/hda5. I ran MAKEDEV, but after this
>>I'm stuck about do I install an the os into it?
>
> I've done this before where I do a normal OS install on a separate
> partition, then use that as DomU.

The only thing to watch, if you do this on the same machine, is to tell the
RHEL3 installer not to install a bootloader or you'll break your dom0.

There's definitely the option in RHEL3's installer; I've done exactly this.
I don't believe you even need to use 'expert' mode.

Chris.

Re: How to install a domu [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Shahzad Chohan wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I know this is probably a basic question, but I'm having real
> difficulty in trying to figure out a way of installing a rhel 3 (not a
> yum distro) domU. I'm stumped for ideas, everywhere else it talks
> about installing fedora but it has the luxury of using yum. Please can
> someone help me with a guide as to how to accomplish this. I've
> searched google but I'm not having much luck.

Everyone seems to talk about running through the normal installation
process, my approach is generally to clone an existing install. This won't
help much if you want to try new versions/distributions etc...

> So far I've got a partition /dev/hda5. I ran MAKEDEV, but after this
> I'm stuck about do I install an the os into it?

mount /dev/hda5 /mnt

rsync -rav -H --one-file-system / /mnt/

# repeat for all other filesystems you need
# e.g. If this was the source box and I needed to clone it, I
# would sync usr2 as well.

Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0 5044064 4119988 667848 87% /
/dev/md1 192958776 19148768 173810008 10% /usr2

e.g.
rsync -rav -H --one-file-system /usr2/ /mnt/usr2/

Note that tar will work fine too...

(cd / && tar --one-file-system -cf -) | (cd /mnt && tar -xvf -)

The filesystem locks stop you from copying /proc by accident.

then you can chroot into the new filesystem and it should work
fine... e.g.

chroot /mnt/

you can tweak whatever settings you need, e.g. /etc/fstab will be
required, and probably your network config.

-Tom

Re: How to install a domu [ In reply to ]
Shahzad Chohan wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I know this is probably a basic question, but I'm having real
> difficulty in trying to figure out a way of installing a rhel 3 (not a
> yum distro) domU. I'm stumped for ideas, everywhere else it talks
> about installing fedora but it has the luxury of using yum. Please can
> someone help me with a guide as to how to accomplish this. I've
> searched google but I'm not having much luck.
>
> So far I've got a partition /dev/hda5. I ran MAKEDEV, but after this
> I'm stuck about do I install an the os into it?
>
> Many thanks for your help.

Hi Shahzad,

I'll also point you to a document posted by Jerone a while ago
for installing on Fedora Core. I imagine most of the steps will
be the same. Hope it helps! It worked on xen versions a while
ago, note.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xen-devel&m=111207045536056&w=2

thanks,
Nivedita

Re: How to install a domu [ In reply to ]
Hi

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll give them a try.

Shaz