only a work around, because it patches ifup, but I think the
real problem might be with getcfg.

If you want to try this patch, I suggest keeping the original
file around, like so

mv /sbin/ifup /sbin/ifup.orig
cp /sbin/ifup.orig /sbin/ifup
cat patch-ifup | patch /sbin/ifup

hope that helps someone.
Re: SuSE 9.3 domU /sbin/ifup workaround [ In reply to ]
Replying to my own post...

I forgot to say that I had to manually create my
network device configuration file, because the
Yast tool can't detect the ethernet device automatically.
(getcfg broken?)

Here is one way you could do it, adapt for you site.
(I have not tested this, so watch for my typos,
word wrap etc...)

cat >"/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth-id-$(cat
/sys/class/net/eth0/address) <<eof
IPADDR=10.2.8.2
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
NETWORK=10.255.255.255
STARTMODE=onboot
USERCONTROL=no
eof

hope that helps

Re: SuSE 9.3 domU /sbin/ifup workaround [ In reply to ]
Robbie Dinn <robbie@microbus.com> writes:

> cat >"/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth-id-$(cat
> /sys/class/net/eth0/address) <<eof

You can simply name that file "ifcfg-eth0" ;)

Gerd

--
-mm seems unusually stable at present.
-- akpm about 2.6.12-rc3-mm3