Mailing List Archive

How to prepare kernel configuration file?
Hello,

I've been trying to pre-create a kernel configuration for domain0. This is
not difficult as such, but I encountered a few surprises on the way. I'm
wondering whether there is an easier way.

Basically, I have a standard x86 kernel configuration that I want to use
as basis for xen0. I replace the first few lines

CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_MMU=y

by the corresponding xen config lines, ie. by

CONFIG_XEN=y
etc

So far so good, but where do I put this file if I don't want to
overwrite the default config in

linux-2.6.11-xen-sparse/arch/xen/configs/xen0_defconfig

?

I tried to directly modify the .config file in the linux-2.6.11-xen0
kernel tree with "make xconfig". This complains about the CONFIG_XEN...
parameters and removes them.

As a bonus, "make world" happily removed the the kernel tree, including my
new .config file, and recreated the default config.

I ended up by doing

make xen
make tools

copying my .config to

dist/install/boot/config-2.6.11.11-xen0

and running "make kernels".

As I said above, not a big problem, but a bit annoying.

Rainer Schöpf

Re: How to prepare kernel configuration file? [ In reply to ]
Rainer Schöpf wrote:
> I tried to directly modify the .config file in the linux-2.6.11-xen0
> kernel tree with "make xconfig". This complains about the CONFIG_XEN...
> parameters and removes them.
>
> As a bonus, "make world" happily removed the the kernel tree, including my
> new .config file, and recreated the default config.

Take a look at Steven Hand's response to a similar problem I had a last
week:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.user/1044

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/
Re: How to prepare kernel configuration file? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Andrew Thompson wrote:

> Take a look at Steven Hand's response to a similar problem I had a last week:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.user/1044

Thanks, that helps (as did re-reading the user manual in the morning, ie.
after some sleep :-))

Rainer Schöpf