Mailing List Archive

xen,bproc and grub
Hello,
I have recently ported bproc [1] which part of clustermatic [2]
suite to xen-2.0 [3] to run on domain0. It was pretty straightforward,
that it required few trival hacks to the kernel, few sym-links and
remembering to use "ARCH=xen" whenever appropriate.

However, clustermatic does use linuxbios on its nodes for booting and does
not use traditional bios at all. This means that the grub (with its
multiboot support) with its heavy dependencies on PC-BIOS Is out of
window.

Thus I'm trying to figure out how I could boot xen/linux-2.6.8.1-xen0 duo
on nodes. Are there any other options to boot it besides using grub[4][5]?
and preferably does not rquire multiboot [6].

I figure out I that maybe could load xen.gz [7] using FILO, Kexec, or
maybe etherboot but it still would not load linux kernel in turn (because
of the dependency on multiboot).

Anyone knows what are my options here? Ideas?

[1] http://bproc.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://www.clustermatic.org/
[3] http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/
[4] grub configuration file entry for xen

title Xen 2.0 / XenLinux 2.6.8.1
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=65536
module (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-xen0 root=/dev/hda1

[5] grub-multiboot, from info page

- Command: module file ...
Load a boot module FILE for a Multiboot format boot image (no
interpretation of the file contents are made, so the user of this
command must know what the kernel in question expects). The rest
of the line is passed as the "module command-line", like the
`kernel' command. You must load a Multiboot kernel image before

[6] http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/multiboot/multiboot.html
does anyone knows better references to multiboot specs?

[7] /boot/xen.gz

redbull:/etc/clustermatic # file /boot/xen.gz
/boot/xen.gz: gzip compressed data, from Unix, max compression

redbull:/etc/clustermatic # file /tmp/xen
/tmp/xen: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped

redbull:/etc/clustermatic # readelf -a /tmp/xen
ELF Header:
Magic: 7f 45 4c 46 01 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Class: ELF32