Mailing List Archive

Help Needed from Xen Developers: Nasty Yellow Triangle with Exclamation Mark and Error Code 43 in Device Manager in Windows 8 HVM domU
Dear Xen developers,

I have been able to get 100% success in Xen VGA Passthrough with Frank
Lyon's NVIDIA Quadro 6000 (there is NO nasty yellow triangle with
exclamation mark and error code 43 in device manager in Windows 8 HVM domU).

But I have not been able to get 100% success (partial success) in Xen
VGA Passthrough with my own display cards. I have recently upgraded my
display card from NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS to NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560 but
there is always the nasty yellow triangle with exclamation mark and
error code 43 associated with my display card in device manager in
Windows 8 HVM domU.

I have attached troubleshooting logs and configuration files. Please
help me to troubleshoot and get rid of the nasty yellow triangle with
exclamation mark and error code 43. I am using Xen 4.2-unstable
changeset 25099 and Linux kernel 3.5.4 / 3.6.0-rc7.

In both Frank Lyon's and my case, I have followed the installation
instructions from my own Xen VGA Passthrough tutorial at

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_VGA_Passthrough_to_Windows_8_with_Xen_4.2-unstable

I was able to get Frank Lyon's Xen VGA Passthrough to work 100% but not
mine (partial success) with the same Xen VGA Passthrough tutorial.

Thank you very much for your kind assistance.

--
Yours sincerely,

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
Singapore
Re: Help Needed from Xen Developers: Nasty Yellow Triangle with Exclamation Mark and Error Code 43 in Device Manager in Windows 8 HVM domU [ In reply to ]
On 05/10/2012 16:05, Dariusz Krempa wrote:
> I'm afraid it is not possible to do this in this configuration. Nvidia
> does not support virtualization for geforce cards and their drivers
> have problems in windows 7, windows 8, vista, server 2008 etc. We can
> easy setup virtual machine on windows xp but only with drivers less
> than 280.xx and I did some trick (with a huge amount of luck) that I
> setup windows 7, but first drivers for windows 8 are 295.73. I think
> we will need to wait for different patch for xen to do this.
> If You will study device manager under windows 7 or 8 with view set on
> then You can see that windows do not recognize properly this memory
> range:
> mem 0xf4000000-0xf5ffffff
> and this is the only range which isn't set in xen patch. Of course I
> will try to work with windows 8 for a while but like I said, I'm
> afraid this will not work in this moment.

Dear Dariusz Krempa,

Even with Windows XP Home Edition SP3 HVM domU, I also get the nasty

Re: Help Needed from Xen Developers: Nasty Yellow Triangle with Exclamation Mark and Error Code 43 in Device Manager in Windows 8 HVM domU [ In reply to ]
On 06/10/2012 00:09, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
> On 05/10/2012 16:05, Dariusz Krempa wrote:
>> I'm afraid it is not possible to do this in this configuration.
>> Nvidia does not support virtualization for geforce cards and their
>> drivers have problems in windows 7, windows 8, vista, server 2008
>> etc. We can easy setup virtual machine on windows xp but only with
>> drivers less than 280.xx and I did some trick (with a huge amount of
>> luck) that I setup windows 7, but first drivers for windows 8 are
>> 295.73. I think we will need to wait for different patch for xen to
>> do this.
>> If You will study device manager under windows 7 or 8 with view set
>> on then You can see that windows do not recognize properly this
>> memory range:
>> mem 0xf4000000-0xf5ffffff
>> and this is the only range which isn't set in xen patch. Of course I
>> will try to work with windows 8 for a while but like I said, I'm
>> afraid this will not work in this moment.
>
> Dear Dariusz Krempa,
>
> Even with Windows XP Home Edition SP3 HVM domU, I also get the nasty
> yellow triangle with exclamation mark and error code 43.

Dear Dariusz Krempa,

Correction: I have just tried it. Even with Windows XP Home Edition SP3
HVM domU and NVIDIA driver version 275.33, I still get the nasty yellow
_circle_ with exclamation mark and error code 10.

I am simply wondering. What is wrong?

--
Yours sincerely,

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
Singapore
Re: Help Needed from Xen Developers: Nasty Yellow Triangle with Exclamation Mark and Error Code 43 in Device Manager in Windows 8 HVM domU [ In reply to ]
On 05/10/2012 19:48, Dariusz Krempa wrote:

> I just installed windows 8 and like before, which I mentioned on
> mail-list its possible to install nvidia drivers under windows 8 but:
> - drivers has to be 275.33
> - gpu-z shows that only Direct Computing is available, no physX, no
> OpenCL, no CUDA
> - windows index is much lower than normal, 7.8 under windows 7
> standalone and hvm and 7.1 under windows 8 hvm
>
> I don't know if this will work with stub, but with pciback I don't
> need to do special tricks just install drivers 275.33 for win 7/vista

How did it go with your Windows 8 HVM domU?

--
Yours sincerely,

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
Singapore

Re: Help Needed from Xen Developers: Nasty Yellow Triangle with Exclamation Mark and Error Code 43 in Device Manager in Windows 8 HVM domU [ In reply to ]
On 06/10/2012 05:46, Dariusz Krempa wrote:

> > Dear Dariusz Krempa,
> >
> > Even with Windows XP Home Edition SP3 HVM domU, I also get the nasty
> yellow triangle with exclamation mark and error code 43.
> >
> > --
> > Yours sincerely,
> >
> > Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
> > Singapore
> >

> Im just wondering. In last patch is 7 files to patch and in tutorial
> from march You did was just 6. Maybe You missed that additional file.
> There should work exact the same makings for gtx560 like before for 4xx.

Dear Dariusz Krempa,

I have just checked. I can confirm that there are only 6 patch files
from David Techer's personal website. How did you get 7 patch files? May
I know whose patch files did you use?

wget
http://www.davidgis.fr/download/xen-4.2_rev24798_gfx-passthrough-patchs.tar.bz2
tar xfvj xen-4.2_rev24798_gfx-passthrough-patchs.tar.bz2

--
Yours sincerely,

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
Singapore

Re: Help Needed from Xen Developers: Nasty Yellow Triangle with Exclamation Mark and Error Code 43 in Device Manager in Windows 8 HVM domU [ In reply to ]
On 06/10/2012 10:13, Dariusz Krempa wrote:

> 2012/10/6 Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
> <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@gmail.com
> <mailto:singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@gmail.com>>
>
> On 06/10/2012 05:46, Dariusz Krempa wrote:
>

> > Dear Dariusz Krempa,
> >
> > Even with Windows XP Home Edition SP3 HVM domU, I also get
> the nasty yellow triangle with exclamation mark and error code 43.
> >
> > --
> > Yours sincerely,
> >
> > Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
> > Singapore
> >

> Im just wondering. In last patch is 7 files to patch and in
> tutorial from march You did was just 6. Maybe You missed that
> additional file. There should work exact the same makings for
> gtx560 like before for 4xx.
>

> Dear Dariusz Krempa,
>
> I have just checked. I can confirm that there are only 6 patch
> files from David Techer's personal website. How did you get 7
> patch files? May I know whose patch files did you use?
>
> wget
> http://www.davidgis.fr/download/xen-4.2_rev24798_gfx-passthrough-patchs.tar.bz2
> tar xfvj xen-4.2_rev24798_gfx-passthrough-patchs.tar.bz2
>

> --
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
> Singapore
>
> I am using last patches rev25240
>
> wget
> http://www.davidgis.fr/download/xen-4.2_rev25240_gfx-passthrough-patchs.tar.bz2
> <http://www.davidgis.fr/download/xen-4.2_rev24798_gfx-passthrough-patchs.tar.bz2>
> tar xfvj xen-4.2_rev25240_gfx-passthrough-patchs.tar.bz2
You mean there are 7 patch files in this patch set? Thanks! I will go
and try it out.

By the way, this patch set was not published by David Techer himself.
The link you have given above was not published on his personal website.

I have also observed one strange phenomenon. When it comes to Xen VGA
Passthrough, no Xen developers appear to be willing to help. I have
already provided full information, ie. configuration files and
troubleshooting logs.

--
Yours sincerely,

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
Singapore
Re: Help Needed from Xen Developers: Nasty Yellow Triangle with Exclamation Mark and Error Code 43 in Device Manager in Windows 8 HVM domU [ In reply to ]
On 06/10/2012 11:36, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
> On 06/10/2012 10:13, Dariusz Krempa wrote:
>>

>> 2012/10/6 Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
>> <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@gmail.com
>> <mailto:singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@gmail.com>>
>>
>> On 06/10/2012 05:46, Dariusz Krempa wrote:
>>

>> > Dear Dariusz Krempa,
>> >
>> > Even with Windows XP Home Edition SP3 HVM domU, I also get
>> the nasty yellow triangle with exclamation mark and error
>> code 43.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Yours sincerely,
>> >
>> > Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
>> > Singapore
>> >

>> Im just wondering. In last patch is 7 files to patch and in
>> tutorial from march You did was just 6. Maybe You missed that
>> additional file. There should work exact the same makings for
>> gtx560 like before for 4xx.
>>

>> Dear Dariusz Krempa,
>>
>> I have just checked. I can confirm that there are only 6 patch
>> files from David Techer's personal website. How did you get 7
>> patch files? May I know whose patch files did you use?
>>
>> wget
>> http://www.davidgis.fr/download/xen-4.2_rev24798_gfx-passthrough-patchs.tar.bz2
>> tar xfvj xen-4.2_rev24798_gfx-passthrough-patchs.tar.bz2
>>

>> --
>> Yours sincerely,
>>
>> Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
>> Singapore
>>
>> I am using last patches rev25240
>>
>> wget
>> http://www.davidgis.fr/download/xen-4.2_rev25240_gfx-passthrough-patchs.tar.bz2
>> <http://www.davidgis.fr/download/xen-4.2_rev24798_gfx-passthrough-patchs.tar.bz2>
>> tar xfvj xen-4.2_rev25240_gfx-passthrough-patchs.tar.bz2
> You mean there are 7 patch files in this patch set? Thanks! I will go
> and try it out.
>
> By the way, this patch set was not published by David Techer himself.
> The link you have given above was not published on his personal website.
>
> I have also observed one strange phenomenon. When it comes to Xen VGA
> Passthrough, no Xen developers appear to be willing to help. I have
> already provided full information, ie. configuration files and
> troubleshooting logs.
>
> --
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
> Singapore

Dear Dariusz Krempa,

I have used patch set 25240 from David Techer's personal website as you
have recommended and applied it to Xen 4.2.1-pre. Now I am able to get
*PARTIAL SUCCESS* with Xen 4.2.1-pre but there is still this nasty
yellow triangle with exclamation mark and error code 43.

Could you carefully look through my manual/tutorial/guide for me and see
what is missing from my manual. BUT, using the same
manual/tutorial/guide that I have written, I was able to get 100%
success with Frank Lyon's Xen VGA Passthrough server. There is no nasty
yellow triangle with exclamation mark and error code 43 in Frank Lyon's
case.

Just what is wrong with my setup?!?!?!

By the way, patch set 25240 is for Xen 4.2-unstable changset 25099 and
above.

--
Yours sincerely,

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
Singapore
Re: Help Needed from Xen Developers: Nasty Yellow Triangle with Exclamation Mark and Error Code 43 in Device Manager in Windows 8 HVM domU [ In reply to ]
On 06/10/2012 13:25, Dariusz Krempa wrote:

> > You mean there are 7 patch files in this patch set? Thanks! I will
> go and try it out.
> >
> > By the way, this patch set was not published by David Techer
> himself. The link you have given above was not published on his
> personal website.
> >
> > I have also observed one strange phenomenon. When it comes to Xen
> VGA Passthrough, no Xen developers appear to be willing to help. I
> have already provided full information, ie. configuration files and
> troubleshooting logs.
> >
> > --
> > Yours sincerely,
> >
> > Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
> > Singapore
>
> This patch was published on David's website but it was just short
> note. It still is link on left side with other shortcuts to last news.
> About devs, they just dont bother about gtx vga passthrough cause its
> not pro card and with quadro and tesla there is no problem.

No wonder I have no problems with Frank Lyon's NVIDIA Quadro 6000 at
all. Complete 100% success.

--
Yours sincerely,

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
Singapore

Re: Help Needed from Xen Developers: Nasty Yellow Triangle with Exclamation Mark and Error Code 43 in Device Manager in Windows 8 HVM domU [ In reply to ]
On 06/10/2012 13:55, Dariusz Krempa wrote:

> Could you carefully look through my manual/tutorial/guide for me
> and see what is missing from my manual. BUT, using the same
> manual/tutorial/guide that I have written, I was able to get 100%
> success with Frank Lyon's Xen VGA Passthrough server. There is no
> nasty yellow triangle with exclamation mark and error code 43 in
> Frank Lyon's case.
>
> Just what is wrong with my setup?!?!?!
>

> When I started with Xen and linux about 3 weeks ago I found Yours
> manuals in pdf. My first steps was simple copy paste. Later I realized
> that for me not whole manual is needed and in this moment im using:
> - to build kernel points 1-5, but without modified /etc/modules
> -- in this moment Im using kernel 3.6-rc7 instead 3.3-rc7
> -- in config I set all *XEN* for y
> - to build xen from sources (I also copy-pasted at start from Xen
> manual from You and from David's website):
> -- apt-get install texinfo git-core libglib2.0-dev libyajl-dev
> build-essential vncviewer bridge-utils mercurial
> -- apt-get build-dep xen
> -- patch rev25240
>
> Also Im using pciback instead stub, cause Im having problems with
> stub. It report me errors (missing files).
> This is all what I need to start hvm. Now like I said before first I
> install windows without vga passthrough (its because 1 gfx also with
> problems with usb drivers under windows). When I have windows ready Im
> passing pci with vga to hvm and Im installing nvidia drivers 275.33
> or 275.50 and when it is done Im setting gfx_passthrough=1 in DomU
> config.

Isn't it gfx_passthru=1 instead of gfx_passthrough=1? I believe your
syntax is wrong.

What a joke man! I can only get Frank Lyon's NVIDIA Quadro 6000 VGA
Passthrough completely 100% working but I cannot get 100% success for my
own display cards. I have been trying a lot of things but still cannot
get rid of the yellow triangle with exclamation mark and error code 43.
Frank Lyon's NVIDIA Quadro 6000 costs S$6000++ and I can't afford that.

--
Yours sincerely,

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
Singapore
Re: Help Needed from Xen Developers: Nasty Yellow Triangle with Exclamation Mark and Error Code 43 in Device Manager in Windows 8 HVM domU [ In reply to ]
On 06/10/2012 15:23, Dariusz Krempa wrote:

> Isn't it gfx_passthru=1 instead of gfx_passthrough=1? I believe
> your syntax is wrong.
>

> You right. That was misspelling.
>

> What a joke man! I can only get Frank Lyon's NVIDIA Quadro 6000
> VGA Passthrough completely 100% working but I cannot get 100%
> success for my own display cards. I have been trying a lot of
> things but still cannot get rid of the yellow triangle with
> exclamation mark and error code 43. Frank Lyon's NVIDIA Quadro
> 6000 costs S$6000++ and I can't afford that.
>
> There can be another problem why You cant pass thru vga. The problem
> can be with Yours motherboard. You never wrote what chipset You have
> and, I assume, You don't test Q6000 on Yours MB. I have luck, cause
> even if nvidia's and Intel's workers claims that chipset H67 don't
> have implemented passthrough and I don't have any option in bios to
> turn it on/off, then at least partially passthrough is implemented. If
> You have possibilities to check this on different MB or put Q6000 into
> Yours box then You will see if there is problem.
>

> If You are willing we can try something. You can install teamviewer on
> windows DomU and send me invitation or number by email then I will
> inspect DomU and maybe I can help. We will have possibilities to chat
> in teamviewer and You will control everything.

Dear Dariusz Krempa,

My motherboard is the Intel DQ45CB. It supports VT-d officially. There
is a BIOS option to enable/disable VT-d. It was enabled.

By the way, what is teamviewer? Maybe we can chat on IRC?

--
Yours sincerely,

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
Singapore