Mailing List Archive

Building XCP Debian packages: what sources or repo to use?
Hi,

I have started the work of packaging Openstack for Debian. I have
already the Nova packages ready for upload, and I'm now working on
Glance and Swift.

Nova can run Xen, but I have been told that it needs XCP. I was
wondering what is the best source for me to download and package. I have
noticed that I can take:

http://xenbits.xensource.com/git/xen-api.git
http://xenbits.xensource.com/git/xen-api-libs.git

Is that it, or is there more that should be packaged? Would "xen-api"
and "xen-api-libs" be the target package names, or should I name it
"xcp-xen-api" and "xcp-xen-api-libs"?

Are these git repo the best place to get the sources? Do they change
often, and are they stable?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand

Re: Building XCP Debian packages: what sources or repo to use? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have started the work of packaging Openstack for Debian. I have
> already the Nova packages ready for upload, and I'm now working on
> Glance and Swift.
>
> Nova can run Xen, but I have been told that it needs XCP.

Nova should be able to run Xen via libvirt too. I don't know if this
path has been tested.

> I was
> wondering what is the best source for me to download and package. I have
> noticed that I can take:

take a look here:
http://www.xen.org/products/cloud_source.html

You may also need to pull sources from the source code CD:
http://www.xen.org/download/xcp/index.html

(Add Jon Ludlam to the CC he should be able to confirm)

This wiki page may also be helpful to you. The things that apply to
XenServer apply to XCP as well.
http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment

You may also find this wiki page to be useful (even though it is
CentOS-specific)
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XCP_Building_Instructions

Thanks,
Todd

> http://xenbits.xensource.com/git/xen-api.git
> http://xenbits.xensource.com/git/xen-api-libs.git
>
> Is that it, or is there more that should be packaged? Would "xen-api"
> and "xen-api-libs" be the target package names, or should I name it
> "xcp-xen-api" and "xcp-xen-api-libs"?
>
> Are these git repo the best place to get the sources? Do they change
> often, and are they stable?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand

Todd Deshane
http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm
http://www.xen.org/products/cloudxen.html

Re: Building XCP Debian packages: what sources or repo to use? [ In reply to ]
On 05/01/2011 08:35 AM, Todd Deshane wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have started the work of packaging Openstack for Debian. I have
>> already the Nova packages ready for upload, and I'm now working on
>> Glance and Swift.
>>
>> Nova can run Xen, but I have been told that it needs XCP.
>
> Nova should be able to run Xen via libvirt too. I don't know if this
> path has been tested.

I've been told by the people from Rackspace that XCP was the way to go,
as this is what they use.

> take a look here:
> http://www.xen.org/products/cloud_source.html
>
> You may also need to pull sources from the source code CD:
> http://www.xen.org/download/xcp/index.html
>
> (Add Jon Ludlam to the CC he should be able to confirm)
>
> This wiki page may also be helpful to you. The things that apply to
> XenServer apply to XCP as well.
> http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment
>
> You may also find this wiki page to be useful (even though it is
> CentOS-specific)
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XCP_Building_Instructions
>
> Thanks,
> Todd

Thanks for all these links, but in fact, if I'm asking, it is because I
saw all of these documents, and that I'm even more confused. Nowhere, it
tells which file are the release sources to take, which one is
authoritative, which is the repository. There's 2 Git repository
referenced, and 2 hg. No definitive tar.gz to download. On the CD,
there's only some src.rpm files only, no tar.gz either, and what's on
the source CD is quite confusing as well.

So, which one should I use?

Thomas

Re: Building XCP Debian packages: what sources or repo to use? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 11:14:24AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 05/01/2011 08:35 AM, Todd Deshane wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have started the work of packaging Openstack for Debian. I have
> >> already the Nova packages ready for upload, and I'm now working on
> >> Glance and Swift.
> >>
> >> Nova can run Xen, but I have been told that it needs XCP.
> >
> > Nova should be able to run Xen via libvirt too. I don't know if this
> > path has been tested.
>
> I've been told by the people from Rackspace that XCP was the way to go,
> as this is what they use.
>
> > take a look here:
> > http://www.xen.org/products/cloud_source.html
> >
> > You may also need to pull sources from the source code CD:
> > http://www.xen.org/download/xcp/index.html
> >
> > (Add Jon Ludlam to the CC he should be able to confirm)
> >
> > This wiki page may also be helpful to you. The things that apply to
> > XenServer apply to XCP as well.
> > http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment
> >
> > You may also find this wiki page to be useful (even though it is
> > CentOS-specific)
> > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XCP_Building_Instructions
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Todd
>
> Thanks for all these links, but in fact, if I'm asking, it is because I
> saw all of these documents, and that I'm even more confused. Nowhere, it
> tells which file are the release sources to take, which one is
> authoritative, which is the repository. There's 2 Git repository
> referenced, and 2 hg. No definitive tar.gz to download. On the CD,
> there's only some src.rpm files only, no tar.gz either, and what's on
> the source CD is quite confusing as well.
>
> So, which one should I use?

Hello,

Did you realize XCP is centos-based dedicated virtualization platform ?
Porting it Debian is possible, but that kind of creates separate 'product'.

-- Pasi

Re: Building XCP Debian packages: what sources or repo to use? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@iki.fi> wrote:
> On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 11:14:24AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:

>> > Nova should be able to run Xen via libvirt too. I don't know if this
>> > path has been tested.
>>
>> I've been told by the people from Rackspace that XCP was the way to go,
>> as this is what they use.
>>
>> > take a look here:
>> > http://www.xen.org/products/cloud_source.html
>> >
>> > You may also need to pull sources from the source code CD:
>> > http://www.xen.org/download/xcp/index.html
>> >
>> > (Add Jon Ludlam to the CC he should be able to confirm)
>> >
>> > This wiki page may also be helpful to you. The things that apply to
>> > XenServer apply to XCP as well.
>> > http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment
>> >
>> > You may also find this wiki page to be useful (even though it is
>> > CentOS-specific)
>> > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XCP_Building_Instructions
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Todd
>>
>> Thanks for all these links, but in fact, if I'm asking, it is because I
>> saw all of these documents, and that I'm even more confused. Nowhere, it
>> tells which file are the release sources to take, which one is
>> authoritative, which is the repository. There's 2 Git repository
>> referenced, and 2 hg. No definitive tar.gz to download. On the CD,
>> there's only some src.rpm files only, no tar.gz either, and what's on
>> the source CD is quite confusing as well.
>>
>> So, which one should I use?
>>

> Hello,
>
> Did you realize XCP is centos-based dedicated virtualization platform ?
> Porting it Debian is possible, but that kind of creates separate 'product'.

I think that being able to install an XCP system from package is a
long goal anyway, so getting a jump on it in Debian is a great idea.

Jon can probably comment on which source packages and/or source code
trees would be best to use and why.

Thanks,
Todd

Re: Building XCP Debian packages: what sources or repo to use? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 02:47 +0100, Todd Deshane wrote:

> I think that being able to install an XCP system from package is a
> long goal anyway, so getting a jump on it in Debian is a great idea.

I think so too, but it's worth highlighting that XCP on Debian is far
more than a standard .deb packaging exercise, I expect there will be
plenty of actual development effort required to actually make it work.

> Jon can probably comment on which source packages and/or source code
> trees would be best to use and why.

xen-api@ is the correct list for this sort of question.

Ian.

Re: Building XCP Debian packages: what sources or repo to use? [ In reply to ]
> On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 02:47 +0100, Todd Deshane wrote:
> > I think that being able to install an XCP system from package is a
> > long goal anyway, so getting a jump on it in Debian is a great idea.
>
> I think so too, but it's worth highlighting that XCP on Debian is far
> more than a standard .deb packaging exercise, I expect there will be
> plenty of actual development effort required to actually make it work.

Like what? I don't get what is XCP if not few
more packages on top of Xen. Can you explain?

> xen-api@ is the correct list for this sort of question.
>
> Ian.

Thanks, I'll ask there then.

Thomas

Re: Building XCP Debian packages: what sources or repo to use? [ In reply to ]
I'm not an xapi guru, but I could point for few moments:

1) XAPI do a lot of system() calls with parsing of output. For example,
if you upgrade centos by yum update (with uncommented default centos
mirror) you will break sr-create command (due upgrade of lvm2 package).
If you put different version of binary or put it to different location
you can break some of functionality.

2) there is a bunch of supportive packages for xapi:

xapi-squeezed-0.2-unknown
xapi-www-0.2-unknown
xapi-core-0.2-unknown
xapi-libs-fe-0-unknown
openvswitch-1.0.2-82.1943
kernel-xen-2.6.32.12-0.7.1.xs1.0.0.311.170586
xen-hypervisor-3.4.2-1.0.0.700.20051
xen-tools-3.4.2-1.0.0.700.20051
xen-device-model-1.0.0-250.7380
stunnel-4.15-2.el5.1.xs647
likewise-open-libs-5.4.0.50446-1xs74.36
likewise-open-lsass-5.4.0.50446-1xs74.36
xsconsole-1.0.0-358
xenserver-lsb-3.1-12.3.EL.xs
PyPAM-0.4.2-3.xs647

(not sure it full list), and xapi heavily depends on them.

You will need to patch xapi to make it compatible with native debian
binaries and do this for every xapi-specific package too.

I have some weak intention to switch from centos to debian, but I very
afraid of amount of problems, glitches, race conditions and others...

Re: Building XCP Debian packages: what sources or repo to use? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 10:50:01PM +0400, George Shuklin wrote:
> I'm not an xapi guru, but I could point for few moments:
>
> 1) XAPI do a lot of system() calls with parsing of output. For example,
> if you upgrade centos by yum update (with uncommented default centos
> mirror) you will break sr-create command (due upgrade of lvm2 package).
> If you put different version of binary or put it to different location
> you can break some of functionality.
>
> 2) there is a bunch of supportive packages for xapi:
>
> xapi-squeezed-0.2-unknown
> xapi-www-0.2-unknown
> xapi-core-0.2-unknown
> xapi-libs-fe-0-unknown
> openvswitch-1.0.2-82.1943
> kernel-xen-2.6.32.12-0.7.1.xs1.0.0.311.170586
> xen-hypervisor-3.4.2-1.0.0.700.20051
> xen-tools-3.4.2-1.0.0.700.20051
> xen-device-model-1.0.0-250.7380
> stunnel-4.15-2.el5.1.xs647
> likewise-open-libs-5.4.0.50446-1xs74.36
> likewise-open-lsass-5.4.0.50446-1xs74.36
> xsconsole-1.0.0-358
> xenserver-lsb-3.1-12.3.EL.xs
> PyPAM-0.4.2-3.xs647
>
> (not sure it full list), and xapi heavily depends on them.

XCP also uses custom patched device-mapper-multipath.
Was udev in XCP also patched?

XCP is an 'appliance' delivered as an .ISO file..

-- Pasi

Re: Building XCP Debian packages: what sources or repo to use? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 18:41 +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [...]

xapi is tightly integrated with the underlying (CentOS) distro, which
has also been modified to better aid this integration. Remember that it
was originally developed as a complete integrated solution.

One example that xapi's host networking configuration support currently
only speaks to (a modified version of) CentOS's ifcfg configuration
format.

Also some core parts of the OS are modified, for example LVM has been
patched with some XCP specific patches (I don't recall the details)
which are specific to the integration with the XCP storage manager
plugins.

I'm sure there are others.