From: Todd Deshane <deshantm@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Missing 3.2 binary install package
To: Andrej Radonic <ar@eisxen.org>
Cc: xen-users@lists.xensource.com

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 5:34 AM, Andrej Radonic <ar@eisxen.org> wrote:

> The binary installation package is still missing from the 3.2 download
> page. Anybody know if it has been discontinued or if it is coming up and
> we just have to patient for a while?

I was wondering this too.

Was this already covered on this list or the devel list?

I don't recall anything and after a few simple searchers on
http://xen.markmail.org/ I didn't find anything either.

Can someone confirm?

Thanks in advance,
Todd

Re: Fwd: [Xen-users] Missing 3.2 binary install package [ In reply to ]
Andrej Radonic writes ("[Xen-users] Missing 3.2 binary install package"):
> The binary installation package is still missing from the 3.2 download
> page. Anybody know if it has been discontinued or if it is coming up and
> we just have to patient for a while?

If by this you mean a binary tarball, I'm afraid we've not done that
for Xen 3.2. Ideally you should get a properly supported binary
package from your dom0 distribution vendor. Failing that, I would
suggest building the hypervisor or the kernel (whichever you don't
have) from the source tarballs on the xen.org website. Vendors' dom0
kernels intended for 3.1 are generally useable with 3.2.

Ian.

Re: Fwd: [Xen-users] Missing 3.2 binary install package [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@eu.citrix.com>
wrote:

> Andrej Radonic writes ("[Xen-users] Missing 3.2 binary install package"):
> > The binary installation package is still missing from the 3.2 download
> > page. Anybody know if it has been discontinued or if it is coming up and
> > we just have to patient for a while?
>
> If by this you mean a binary tarball, I'm afraid we've not done that
> for Xen 3.2. Ideally you should get a properly supported binary
> package from your dom0 distribution vendor. Failing that, I would
> suggest building the hypervisor or the kernel (whichever you don't
> have) from the source tarballs on the xen.org website. Vendors' dom0
> kernels intended for 3.1 are generally useable with 3.2.

I think we all agree that the best supported is a vendor-supplied version.

And there are definitely enough howtos on compiling from source on the users
list and even some on the wiki and manual etc.

The gap that the binary packages fill is for the people that just want to
try out the latest stable features directly from the Xen team without all
the modifcations from the distros. There have been these binary packages for
previous version of Xen [1].

I think another reason that Andrej and I noticed it is that we are both
involved with books on using Xen and probably both documented the process of
installing from a prebuilt binary. The prebuilt binaries are nice for
distros without official Xen support that don't want to take the time to
build from source.

Aren't the prebuilt tarballs basically as easy as building the source three
times (32bit, PAE, 64bit) and tarring the dist folder?

I think that someone on the devel team is probably the best person to do it,
but giving instructions to us to do would be an option too.

Thanks for you time and efforts,
Todd

[1] http://xen.xensource.com/download/dl_31tarballs.html