www.justkernel.com
<http://www.linkedin.com/just-kernel>
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Just-Kernel-3033180
Re: Support of unmodified guest [ In reply to ]
Hi Anshul,

Xen does support unmodified OS on arm. It is available in the upstream xen. It is not a separate project.

Srujan

anshul makkar <anshulmakkar@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
Sorry for my ignorance here, but thus Xen port of ARM (PV) (Cortex A9 without hardware virtualization) supports running unmodified Android as guest or guest needs to be necessarily patched to be able to run.

I know paravirtualization does mean that guest needs to be modified, but I am just confused as I remember I read somewhere that Xen also supports full virtualization. But not sure whether that has been ported on ARM.
--
Thanks
Anshul Makkar

Re: Support of unmodified guest [ In reply to ]
Anshul,
if you would like to know more about the Xen on ARM with virtualization
extensions project, give a look at:

http://www.xenproject.org/help/presentations-and-videos/video/latest/linaro-connect-introduction-to-xen-on-arm.html

the slides have been used during a Linaro presentation that has been
recorded, the video is available here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0mTOKhAm6Y

Unfortunately the framing is very bad, but the audio might help you
better understand the slides.

Re: Support of unmodified guest [ In reply to ]
K. Thanks Stefano. Let me go through the videos. May be I will get my
answers.

Re: Support of unmodified guest [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2013-10-01 at 23:25 +0530, anshul makkar wrote:
> So it means Xen provides full virtualization support as well.

Unfortunately it does not.

The Xen port to ARM processors with virtualisation extensions[1] uses a
hybrid model which makes use of both hardware features and
paravirtualisation, it is not the same as either x86 PV or x86 HVM but
is somewhere in the middle, something like the in-progress x86 PVH mode.

So it does not support full virtualisation in the sense of providing an
environment to a guest which mimics a real hardware platform with
emulated devices etc. The guest hardware platform is a mixture of
hardware virtualisation features (e.g. timers, interrupt controller, two
stage paging) and software virtualisation (e.g. event channels and PV
I/O devices).

Ian.

[1] http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions