Mailing List Archive

[Votes] Xen Project Governance v2 , Mailing List Conventions v1, 2014 Event Locations (open to all)
Dear Community Members,

as part of the move of Xen to the Linux Foundation, I have made a few
proposals for Governance changes on the Xen Project mailing lists in the
last few weeks. To avoid voting fatigue, several proposals are up for
review or voting:

- For vote:Xen Project Governance v2 at
http://www.xenproject.org/component/content/article/80-developers/136-governance-v2-proposal.html
- For vote:Mailing List Conventions v1 at
http://www.xenproject.org/component/content/article/80-developers/139-mailing-list-conventions.html

- For vote: Dates and Locations for 2014 Events (see below)

Regards
Lars

Voting for Proposals
As the two proposals affect all Xen Project teams, all maintainers,
committers and project leads of mature projects and the community
manager can vote. The vote will be open until May 20, 2013.

Voting for Events
=================

As it is very hard to book event space on short notice, I wanted to ask
you all where to hold Xen Project user and developer events in 2014.
Earlier this year, there was a debate whether we should rotate Xen
Events around the globe. The answer was a very strong*yes*. As we have a
Hackathon and Xen Developer Summit in Europe this year, Europe will not
be an option for a developer event in 2014.

Rather than creating a voting form, I decided to use the voting feature
on the newxenproject.org website. To vote, you need to create an
account. If you have difficulties, let me know. The poll isat
http://www.xenproject.org/help/questions-and-answers/vote-on-2014-event-locations.html.
The vote will stay open until the middle of June.

Re: [Votes] Xen Project Governance v2 , Mailing List Conventions v1, 2014 Event Locations (open to all) [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/2013 11:30, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Dear Community Members,
>
> ... To avoid voting fatigue, several proposals are up for review or
> voting:
I created a slight confusion here by taking the blog post at
http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2013/05/13/xen-project-governance-changes-for-review-and-vote/
and not removing "for review" from it.

The *only* proposal that is for review has been sent out separately on
friday to xen-devel and xen-users named "[Final Community Review] Xen
Security Problem Response Process v2" (see
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-05/msg01243.html). All
proposals in this mail are for voting, with the original discussions
x-reffed in

Re: [Xen-users] [Votes] Xen Project Governance v2 , Mailing List Conventions v1, 2014 Event Locations (open to all) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2013-05-13 at 11:30 +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Rather than creating a voting form, I decided to use the voting
> feature
> on the newxenproject.org website. To vote, you need to create an
> account. If you have difficulties, let me know. The poll isat
> http://www.xenproject.org/help/questions-and-answers/vote-on-2014-event-locations.html.
> The vote will stay open until the middle of June.

I've voted using this now but in the future perhaps we could continue to
vote using the old "+1" in an email mechanism?

There aren't so many maintainers and committers that this would be
unwieldy IMHO.

Re: [Xen-users] [Votes] Xen Project Governance v2 , Mailing List Conventions v1, 2014 Event Locations (open to all) [ In reply to ]
> perhaps we could continue to vote using the old "+1" in an email
mechanism?
The reason for creating a form was to
a) Ensure formal votes are private (i.e. there is a space to raise
issues that may be difficult to raise in public)
b) Make sure that the vote is recorded and can be easily gone back to
(something which is a little hard on a list)
c) Comply with the process
Maybe a) does not apply at all or maybe only in limited circumstances.
This point may be valid when it comes for votes related to
incubating/graduating or archiving sub-projects though (because it may
reflect on an individuals or companies leadership of a sub-project) and
it may be harder to air an issue publicly.

To be honest, the turn-out on these last two votes was really poor. We
had only 4 votes (and only one from Citrix). Now this of course may be
because the proposed changes were rather uncontroversial.

On the other hand, you often use the argument that "if somebody can't be
bothered following up on their bugs/patches/etc. then bugs/patches/etc.
are obviously not important enough". I am inclined to use that same
argument for voring on process and policy changes.

Regards
Lars