Mailing List Archive

[For Community Review] Xen Project Governance Proposal v2.0
Hi everybody,

please find attached my first draft of the set of changes to Xen
Governance at
http://www.xenproject.org/component/content/article/80-developers/136-governance-v2-proposal.html
- These changes reflect modifications to support the move of Xen to the
Linux Foundation, as well as fixes for shortfalls that have been identified.

Changes to the last version are marked in Orange. The changes are
relatively small.

The key changes related to the Linux Foundation are

* Added definitions for /Sub-projects and Teams/, /Xen Project
Advisory Board/ and /The Linux Foundation/.
* Rename xen.org to /xenproject.org/ or /Xen Project/ throughout the
document (except in the history)
* Refer to /sub-projects and teams/ instead of /projects/ where
appropriate

Other changes are

* Clarify scope and eligible votes in /Formal Votes/; refer to this
section from /Requesting Reviews, Reviews and Voting/ rather than
duplicating

This was necessary, because the original document was not clear about
who is eligible when it comes formal votes. The change is merely
encoding what we have done in the past (even though the document was
ambiguous).

* Removed Xen.org Chairman as /Referee of Last Resort/ and delegated
this role to the /Xen Project Advisory Board/.
* Allow /Xen Project Advisory Board/ members to be /Mentors/.

Xen.org has no chairman any more : the closest we have is the Advisory
Board, so it seems sensible to chose the Advisory Board as referee of
last resort. As an aside, we never had to use this facility. Other
suggestions are welcome though. I also felt that we should allow
Advisory Board members to be mentors for incubation projects. We allowed
Advisory Board members to be sponsors before.

Please provide feedback by responding to this thread by May 10th. I will
set up a formal vote for the week afterwards.

Note that I am also writing up a document to be formally voted on for
mailing list conventions (following from the discussion we had last week
- see http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-04/msg01238.html).

Best Regards
Lars