Mailing List Archive

Testing xen-arm on Arndale
Hello Anthony,
I'm hoping your are the right person to ask about xen-arm on Arndale.

I've tried the following wiki to run xen-arm on Arndale and it crashes
while booting dom0.
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Arndale

Here goes some part of log (attached the full log):

(XEN) Guest data abort: Translation fault at level 2
(XEN) gva=23c1901c
(XEN) gpa=0000000023c1901c
(XEN) size=2 sign=0 write=1 reg=0
(XEN) eat=0 cm=0 s1ptw=0 dfsc=6
(XEN) dom0 IPA 0x0000000023c1901c
(XEN) P2M @ 02ffbfc0 mfn:0xbfdfe
(XEN) 1ST[0x0] = 0x00000000bfdfd6ff
(XEN) 2ND[0x11e] = 0x0000000000000000
(XEN) ----[ Xen-4.3-unstable arm32 debug=y Tainted: C ]----
(XEN) CPU: 0
(XEN) PC: 4000893c

Looks like dom0 tried to access at 23c1901c and page fault happens.
I've got no idea how to figure out what is going on.
Could you tell me any helpful tips to move on further?

One more question:
How can I look up the function that PC is pointing (4000893c)?

Sincerely,
Thomas
Re: Testing xen-arm on Arndale [ In reply to ]
CC'ing xen-devel, where the ARMv7+ port of Xen is happening.

On 25/03/13 09:46, Sengul Thomas wrote:
> Hello Anthony,
> I'm hoping your are the right person to ask about xen-arm on Arndale.
>
> I've tried the following wiki to run xen-arm on Arndale and it crashes while booting dom0.
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Arndale
>
> Here goes some part of log (attached the full log):
>
> (XEN) Guest data abort: Translation fault at level 2
> (XEN) gva=23c1901c
> (XEN) gpa=0000000023c1901c
> (XEN) size=2 sign=0 write=1 reg=0
> (XEN) eat=0 cm=0 s1ptw=0 dfsc=6
> (XEN) dom0 IPA 0x0000000023c1901c
> (XEN) P2M @ 02ffbfc0 mfn:0xbfdfe
> (XEN) 1ST[0x0] = 0x00000000bfdfd6ff
> (XEN) 2ND[0x11e] = 0x0000000000000000
> (XEN) ----[ Xen-4.3-unstable arm32 debug=y Tainted: C ]----
> (XEN) CPU: 0
> (XEN) PC: 4000893c
>
> Looks like dom0 tried to access at 23c1901c and page fault happens.
> I've got no idea how to figure out what is going on.
> Could you tell me any helpful tips to move on further?

Sorry, I don't know where this address come from. So, let's look at what
Linux is doing.

> One more question:
> How can I look up the function that PC is pointing (4000893c)?

There is a programme called `addr2line` and you can use it like that:
$ addr2line -e vmlinux 4000893c
and it will give a source file and hopefully a line.

Then, if this does not help, there is always objdump to disassemble and
get addresses associated with instructions and function names.
So I do `arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-objdump -d vmlinux | less` and
search for the PC.

There is 2 vmlinux, one (linux.git/arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux)
that decompress the second one (linux.git/vmlinux).

Anthony PERARD