Mailing List Archive

Getting into shape for GSOC 2013
Hi everybody,

this is a gentle reminder to update
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projects and to start thinking
about projects that are suitable for GSoC. The template to add items to
the project page is below...

{{project
|Project=Project description
|Date=date of insert
|Contact=Owner name
|Desc=Description of
|GSoC=Yes or No, or any other GSoC related comment
}}

In 2012, we didn't make it into GSoC because we didn't have a good
enough project list. We need to have a list of about 10 good project
proposals for GSoC and present these nicely. It would be a real shame,
if we didn't make it in 2013, in particular with some of the exciting
work which is going on at the moment.

In 2011, when we made it our project list was at
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Archived/GSoc_2011_Ideas ... Google has raised
the bar, so we need to have
a) Really good descriptions for our GSoC projects
b) Pre-assign mentors to each project
c) Ideally I would like to add biography and interest section for all
our mentors. I can create a wiki template for mentors if it helps

All this needs to be in place when we apply for GSoC as a mentoring
organisation. The application deadline is likely in early February 2013,
so starting on this now should leave us in good shape! If we get a good
list of projects together this year, we can tidy it up, iterate and
improve in January!

Best Regards
Lars

Re: [Xen-devel] Getting into shape for GSOC 2013 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 02:12:13PM +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> this is a gentle reminder to update
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projects and to start

Let me put some extra items on the list.

> thinking about projects that are suitable for GSoC. The template to
> add items to the project page is below...
>
> {{project
> |Project=Project description
> |Date=date of insert
> |Contact=Owner name
> |Desc=Description of
> |GSoC=Yes or No, or any other GSoC related comment
> }}
>
> In 2012, we didn't make it into GSoC because we didn't have a good
> enough project list. We need to have a list of about 10 good project
> proposals for GSoC and present these nicely. It would be a real
> shame, if we didn't make it in 2013, in particular with some of the
> exciting work which is going on at the moment.
>
> In 2011, when we made it our project list was at
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Archived/GSoc_2011_Ideas ... Google has
> raised the bar, so we need to have
> a) Really good descriptions for our GSoC projects
> b) Pre-assign mentors to each project
> c) Ideally I would like to add biography and interest section for
> all our mentors. I can create a wiki template for mentors if it
> helps

Please do.

> All this needs to be in place when we apply for GSoC as a mentoring
> organisation. The application deadline is likely in early February
> 2013, so starting on this now should leave us in good shape! If we

Aye. Feb.